Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Season review and possible finish

Started by Biggus Piggus, March 01, 2016, 10:37:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

urkillnmesmalls

I don't know what MA can to do get the team to play with more effort and intensity more often, but unless he gets that figured out, we're going to see the roller coaster results like we just saw with Bama to SC.  Maybe motivation to play the NIT isn't really enough to get them to play hard?? 

Maybe next season he'll find the right chemistry and they will play harder in every game.  It's the primary key to his style, so if he can't figure out how to motivate them, we'll see the ups and downs continue. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Jim Harris

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 04, 2016, 05:34:53 pm
Call me shocked. Arkansas had lost seven straight at Tuscaloosa. Bama was by far the best 3pt defensive team in the SEC, but it didn't matter, because the Hogs killed em on the boards. Dominated the boards? Wild.

went double or nothing on the South Carolina game. Down two houses now. Not looking good.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Jim Harris on March 08, 2016, 05:09:49 pm
went double or nothing on the South Carolina game. Down two houses now. Not looking good.

They split the last two games as expected, but the way it went down was a worse result than expected. Winning on the road and losing at home (to shorthanded South Carolina).

And in defiance of the matchups, to boot. Bama and SC were equally inept at scoring, but the Tide was (still is) the best perimeter shooting defense in the league. Arkansas won the Bama game with inside scoring and rebounding, abilities that departed them against South Carolina.

How can you set any expectation about this team, when they can do that in consecutive games?
[CENSORED]!

hobhog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 09, 2016, 08:02:22 am
They split the last two games as expected, but the way it went down was a worse result than expected. Winning on the road and losing at home (to shorthanded South Carolina).

And in defiance of the matchups, to boot. Bama and SC were equally inept at scoring, but the Tide was (still is) the best perimeter shooting defense in the league. Arkansas won the Bama game with inside scoring and rebounding, abilities that departed them against South Carolina.

How can you set any expectation about this team, when they can do that in consecutive games?

I think the inconsistencies are what have frustrated me the most with this team. How can they look so good, and bad, in a span of just a week or two?

PonderinHog

Quote from: hobhog on March 09, 2016, 08:13:54 am
I think the inconsistencies are what have frustrated me the most with this team. How can they look so good, and bad, in a span of just a week or two?
Experience is that thing you get right after you need it.

hogsanity

that is every team he has had here. Even last year, the difference last year was BP almost by himself winning several games. They still had long stagnant stretches on offense, poor transition D, poor perimeter D, poor recognition of shooters, but they had the secpoty to bail them out. The inconsistency is just a product of Mike's style of play.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hogsanity on March 09, 2016, 09:52:09 am
that is every team he has had here. Even last year, the difference last year was BP almost by himself winning several games. They still had long stagnant stretches on offense, poor transition D, poor perimeter D, poor recognition of shooters, but they had the secpoty to bail them out. The inconsistency is just a product of Mike's style of play.

No, it's a product of the quality of guards. That is all. Has absolutely nothing to do with style of play.
[CENSORED]!

hogsanity

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 09, 2016, 09:55:40 am
No, it's a product of the quality of guards. That is all. Has absolutely nothing to do with style of play.

Sure it does. He can't get the guards he needs to run his style, yet he insists on doing it anyway.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Atlhogfan1

The roller coaster description was used before he came to Arkansas.  It is what it is.

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 09, 2016, 09:55:40 am
Quote from: hogsanity on March 09, 2016, 10:02:23 am
Sure it does. He can't get the guards he needs to run his style, yet he insists on doing it anyway.

I agree on the guard play.  I can remember discussing before the 2013-14 season how it needed to improve for the program to improve.  Maybe the juco's next season? 

The rebounding the last two games played out like it should have.  I didn't have the interest to even look at Bama statistically before the matchup.  Had I, the way the rebounding played out wouldn't have been a surprise just like the way SC dominated the boards and ended up equaling the Hogs in shot attempts wasn't.  At Bama, the Hogs were +13 in FGA's.  The defense isn't creating enough of a turnover differential to create added possessions/scoring chances or offset rebounding like vs SC. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hogsanity on March 09, 2016, 10:02:23 am

You are the one who always says MA never adjusts.

Tempo
2012 - 70 possessions/game
2013 - 71
2014 - 73
2015 - 70
2016 - 70

Average possession duration (seconds)
2012 - 15.9
2013 - 15.6
2014 - 15.3
2015 - 15.7
2016 - 16.0

Defensive rebounding %
2012 - 64%
2013 - 66%
2014 - 63%
2015 - 65%
2016 - 70%

Assists/field goal
2012 - 54%
2013 - 56%
2014 - 56%
2015 - 59%
2016 - 58%

3-pointers as % of total shot attempts
2012 - 31%
2013 - 33%
2014 - 33%
2015 - 31%
2016 - 28%

Bench minutes as % of total
2012 - 34%
2013 - 43%
2014 - 42%
2015 - 37%
2016 - 35%

MA has settled on 70 possessions/game as an appropriate tempo, after operating at a faster pace for most of his career. This team was more patient than all his past Arkansas, Missouri and UAB teams (which had notably short possessions).

This year's team is the best defensive rebounding team - by far - that MA has had in his career. It also is the lowest in forced turnovers. That is a major change in style. A 70% defensive rebounding mark ranks among the highest in modern Razorback history. Don't have all my stats with me, but it might be the single highest.

MA's best basketball teams (2004 UAB, 2009 Mizzou, 2015 Arkansas) had assists on 59-64% of their field goals, which comes from good passing and hard work on offense. This year's team is at 58%, close to the high end of MA's career range. That is notable given the weak inside game.

Even with some good shooters, Arkansas worked harder than ever for 2-point field goals. Threes were less than 28% of the Hogs' shots this season, by far the lowest rate of MA's career. This selectivity might have helped Arkansas hit 40% of its treys, highest by far of MA's career.

MA's UAB teams made 33-35% of their 3-pointers. At Mizzou, his teams made 33-37%. In his first four years at Arkansas, 30-36%. Moving up to 40% was a terrific leap.

At Missouri, MA's teams always ranked in the top 40 college basketball teams for use of the bench. This season, Arkansas ranks 106th. MA was not afraid to lean on Kingsley, Bell, Durham and Hannahs for higher minutes.

Mike Anderson adjusted a great deal to his available players this season. See?
[CENSORED]!

hobhog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 09, 2016, 02:14:59 pm
You are the one who always says MA never adjusts.

Tempo
2012 - 70 possessions/game
2013 - 71
2014 - 73
2015 - 70
2016 - 70

Average possession duration (seconds)
2012 - 15.9
2013 - 15.6
2014 - 15.3
2015 - 15.7
2016 - 16.0

Defensive rebounding %
2012 - 64%
2013 - 66%
2014 - 63%
2015 - 65%
2016 - 70%

Assists/field goal
2012 - 54%
2013 - 56%
2014 - 56%
2015 - 59%
2016 - 58%

3-pointers as % of total shot attempts
2012 - 31%
2013 - 33%
2014 - 33%
2015 - 31%
2016 - 28%

Bench minutes as % of total
2012 - 34%
2013 - 43%
2014 - 42%
2015 - 37%
2016 - 35%

MA has settled on 70 possessions/game as an appropriate tempo, after operating at a faster pace for most of his career. This team was more patient than all his past Arkansas, Missouri and UAB teams (which had notably short possessions).

This year's team is the best defensive rebounding team - by far - that MA has had in his career. It also is the lowest in forced turnovers. That is a major change in style. A 70% defensive rebounding mark ranks among the highest in modern Razorback history. Don't have all my stats with me, but it might be the single highest.

MA's best basketball teams (2004 UAB, 2009 Mizzou, 2015 Arkansas) had assists on 59-64% of their field goals, which comes from good passing and hard work on offense. This year's team is at 58%, close to the high end of MA's career range. That is notable given the weak inside game.

Even with some good shooters, Arkansas worked harder than ever for 2-point field goals. Threes were less than 28% of the Hogs' shots this season, by far the lowest rate of MA's career. This selectivity might have helped Arkansas hit 40% of its treys, highest by far of MA's career.

MA's UAB teams made 33-35% of their 3-pointers. At Mizzou, his teams made 33-37%. In his first four years at Arkansas, 30-36%. Moving up to 40% was a terrific leap.

At Missouri, MA's teams always ranked in the top 40 college basketball teams for use of the bench. This season, Arkansas ranks 106th. MA was not afraid to lean on Kingsley, Bell, Durham and Hannahs for higher minutes.

Mike Anderson adjusted a great deal to his available players this season. See?

Wow! Statistics can be used to prove any point if you try hard enough, and you just tried REALLY hard. Not sure if coaching drove the stats or the stats drove your coaching points.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hobhog on March 09, 2016, 05:51:29 pm
Wow! Statistics can be used to prove any point if you try hard enough, and you just tried REALLY hard. Not sure if coaching drove the stats or the stats drove your coaching points.

Clear change in style. Guess it happened by accident.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Arkansas's home loss to Auburn looks even more ridiculous in context with

1. The Hogs' 85-67 and 75-65 wins over Tennessee
2. Tennessee's 71-45 and 97-59 wins over Auburn.

Some teams are simply ready for the end of the season, and that might explain why Auburn got steamrolled last night. Some numbers from that game:

Tennessee made 70% of its 2-point shots (with no starter over 6-7 + star guard Kevin Punter out), 44% of its 3-point shots, had 20 assists vs. 10 turnovers.

Tennessee held Auburn to 39% shooting inside, 17% outside, four assists vs. 11 turnovers.

In comparison:

Arkansas vs. Auburn made 49% of its 2-point shots, 36% of its 3-point shots, with 19 assists vs. 12 turnovers.

Auburn made 58% inside, 65% outside (with 15 threes, its most in SEC games), with 18 assists vs. 21 turnovers.

[CENSORED]!

DeltaBoy

This team been very inconsistent and that driven me NUTTS.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsanity

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 09, 2016, 07:11:15 pm
Clear change in style. Guess it happened by accident.

When most of us discuss his style, we are talking about the traps 40 feet from the basket, the switching every screen, the mass substitutions ( which I feel cost them two wins one at Ga and one at LSU ), relying on steals. Those are the things we are referencing with style. Many of the stats you provided could have been a product of the opponents play, controlling the clock, not turning it over, etc.

chuckinss

It's hard to believe, but Razorback Basketball just isn't important anymore.  That's what happens when you lose for almost a generation. Sad.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hogsanity on March 10, 2016, 08:24:45 am
When most of us discuss his style, we are talking about the traps 40 feet from the basket, the switching every screen, the mass substitutions ( which I feel cost them two wins one at Ga and one at LSU ), relying on steals. Those are the things we are referencing with style. Many of the stats you provided could have been a product of the opponents play, controlling the clock, not turning it over, etc.

In other words, you're not talking about actual style, just things that you don't like.
[CENSORED]!

wildturkey8

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 10, 2016, 01:23:14 pm
In other words, you're not talking about actual style, just things that you don't like.
Correct, he doesn't like giving up easy baskets, poor rebounding, poor recruiting etc.  Most of all, he doesn't like having a poor to mediocre team year in and year out.  I know last year.

Redbug

Quote from: wildturkey8 on March 10, 2016, 01:55:54 pm
Correct, he doesn't like giving up easy baskets, poor rebounding, poor recruiting etc.  Most of all, he doesn't like having a poor to mediocre team year in and year out.  I know last year.