Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Biggest What-Ifs in Hawgball History

Started by The_Iceman, February 23, 2016, 11:27:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

What are some of the things that just bug you when thinking about Razorback Basketball history? Those things that if they just would have (or not) happened, this entire program may be in a different spot. A few that come to mind for me:

1) The 1996 Recruiting Class

2) Chris Jefferies Transfering. (He and Joe Johnson on the same team? Wow.)

3) Not beating UCLA to make it back-to-back

4) Hiring Stan Heath instead of Bill Self.

Any one of those things not happening could have changed the direction of our program. What one event in our history would you most want to change?

HOGINTENNESSEE

The_Iceman

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 23, 2016, 11:31:12 am
Thanks for ruining my day

Its not fun to think about. This program may have faced the most bad luck in the last 20 years than any other program.

whippersnapper

For me since I was to young for the glory days is what if Portis and Qualls had come back? Or of course what if the Traitor was staying home?

Torqued pork

Letting the tension simmer between Nolan and Broyles until it came to a boil was a big, big mistake

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 23, 2016, 11:34:32 am
Its not fun to think about. This program may have faced the most bad luck in the last 20 years than any other program.

What if Al Jefferson hadn't been able to go to the NBA out of HS.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Andre Igoudala, JJ Sulinger, and Pookie Modica never getting to play on the same team.

The_Iceman

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 23, 2016, 11:39:04 am
What if Al Jefferson hadn't been able to go to the NBA out of HS.

Stan Heath may have broke every rebounding record at Arkansas with that team.

Hollywood_HOGan45

What if Kareem Reid would have been able to play with the 1995 team instead of being ineligible?

Reid and Beck running the point? You kidding me?

The_Iceman

Quote from: whippersnapper on February 23, 2016, 11:37:52 am
For me since I was to young for the glory days is what if Portis and Qualls had come back? Or of course what if the Traitor was staying home?

Look at the SEC right now. With those two, we would be #1 in the conference right now. Elite 8 caliber team. With just Qualls (and no counterfeit money scandal), we still could be up there.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on February 23, 2016, 11:45:38 am
What if Kareem Reid would have been able to play with the 1995 team instead of being ineligible?

Yeah, would have gone a long way to repeating as national champs. I think the reputation of the program would have been much improved over the years if we were back-to-back or "2-time National Champions", than just having one.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Mike Conley SR. Did say that Oden and JR would have gone to Arkansas is MA was coach instead of Heath. On Shawn and Wally

Of course JR did not confirm that when asked

Atlhogfan1

1) Everything that happened after the 95 season.  The recruiting choices, the NCAA violations albeit small, the Kim Woods scandal, White and Frank's treatment of Nolan, Nolan's brash and dumb statements about academics and his players' education which wasn't good with White as a boss.

2) Not firing Nolan sooner.   He was far from having sole responsibility for everything that was going wrong.  He wasn't treated well or with respect by the administration.  But it wasn't working.  Not the first coach to have issues with an administration.  A break was necessary and sooner than it happened.

3) The lawsuit which led to the coaching hire which led into the next coaching hire which got us back to somewhat where we were. 

4) The refusal to move on from the Nolan era by a segment of fans and more importantly those who could influence coaching hires.  The 9 year campaign which will result in two decades or more of living out what started in the late 90s. 

5) Rules and game changes.  Handchecking emphasis that came in after our 94 NC.  The timeout changes allowing teams to control the flow of games and use shorter benches with effectiveness.  Because we had to reach back in our past, we are still feeling the effects.

To a lessor extent:
6) The management of the coaching change after Heath was fired.  Although, 08-09 Mizzou was still going to make it very difficult on any Arkansas coach. 

Some things I would like to have had happened differently but don't believe they had lasting impacts:

US Reed not getting tripped in the Indiana St game.  We may have another F4 trip which would have changed the narrative of basketball history as it would have been Moncrief vs Magic and not Bird vs Magic. 

Mizzou to have stopped the ball vs UCLA in the NCAAT. 

Kareem being eligible in 95
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HogFanDan

Didn't LA Tech hide Karl Malone in a hotel room for a few days to keep us from finding him before he signed his LOI?

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 23, 2016, 11:47:43 am
1) Everything that happened after the 95 season.  The recruiting choices, the NCAA violations albeit small, the Kim Woods scandal, White and Frank's treatment of Nolan, Nolan's brash and dumb statements about academics and his players' education which wasn't good with White as a boss.

2) Not firing Nolan sooner.   He was far from having sole responsibility for everything that was going wrong.  He wasn't treated well or with respect by the administration.  But it wasn't working.  Not the first coach to have issues with an administration.  A break was necessary and sooner than it happened.

3) The lawsuit which led to the coaching hire which led into the next coaching hire which got us back to somewhat where we were. 

4) The refusal to move on from the Nolan era by a segment of fans and more importantly those who could influence coaching hires.  The 9 year campaign which will result in two decades or more of living out what started in the late 90s. 

5) Rules and game changes.  Handchecking emphasis that came in after our 94 NC.  The timeout changes allowing teams to control the flow of games and use shorter benches with effectiveness.  Because we had to reach back in our past, we are still feeling the effects.

To a lessor extent:
6) The management of the coaching change after Heath was fired.  Although, 08-09 Mizzou was still going to make it very difficult on any Arkansas coach. 

Some things I would like to have had happened differently but don't believe they had lasting impacts:

US Reed not getting tripped in the Indiana St game.  We may have another F4 trip which would have changed the narrative of basketball history as it would have been Moncrief vs Magic and not Bird vs Magic. 

Mizzou to have stopped the ball vs UCLA in the NCAAT. 

Kareem being eligible in 95

Some of the recruiting classes after 96 were incredibly horrific. Its amazing we accomplished what we did back in those days. Glendon Alexander was a flop, we signed a class with Justin Hankins and Jason Gilbert.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on February 23, 2016, 11:55:27 am
Some of the recruiting classes after 96 were incredibly horrific. Its amazing we accomplished what we did back in those days. Glendon Alexander was a flop, we signed a class with Justin Hankins and Jason Gilbert.

Some of Nolan's biggest recruiting mistakes were him trying to placate fans who thought ANY  in state HS hometown hero was Razorback material. Hankins and Gilbert being two classic examples.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on February 23, 2016, 11:59:16 am
Some of Nolan's biggest recruiting mistakes were him trying to placate fans who thought ANY  in state HS hometown hero was Razorback material. Hankins and Gilbert being two classic examples.
Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on February 23, 2016, 11:55:27 am

Yes.  Just a bunch of disastrous and dumb choices.  Horrible relationship with some of the influential people in the state led to good players who could have contributed leaving and then taking players who were bad fits. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

I should add the second half of the 91 Regional Final vs KU.  Overconfidence and lack of focus led to a huge meltdown and opportunity lost.  Again, may not have been long lasting but would like a do over with this.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 23, 2016, 11:27:39 am
What are some of the things that just bug you when thinking about Razorback Basketball history? Those things that if they just would have (or not) happened, this entire program may be in a different spot. A few that come to mind for me:

Any one of those things not happening could have changed the direction of our program. What one event in our history would you most want to change?

So many, but let's start with the now.  We'd be talking Elite 8 or bust if we only lost the seniors last season.

HawgTrough

give me Qualls and KeVaughan Allen this year. Everything changes
WPS

TrueBlue

Quote from: HawgTrough on February 23, 2016, 12:29:18 pm
give me Qualls and KeVaughan Allen this year. Everything changes

And Portis not going pro - along side a much better Moses. Might have been something....

Oh well...

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: hogsanity on February 23, 2016, 11:59:16 am
Ole Miss was kicking our butt with kids that should have been playing at Arkansas. Giving out ships to Jason Jennings, Jason Gilbert, and Justin Hankins killed us. Thats three spots with kids who were probably great kids but had no business playing SEC basketball. They didn't even last a year. Recruiting attrition like that murdered this program.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Torqued pork on February 23, 2016, 11:38:29 am
Letting the tension simmer between Nolan and Broyles until it came to a boil was a big, big mistake
This above everything else, set our program back decades.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on February 23, 2016, 11:45:38 am

Reid and Beck running the point? You kidding me?
Back-to-back easy
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

MikePiazza

He did recruit some guys that probably didn't deserve schollies, but he was also bringing in very talented players around them. Chris Jefferies would've been a force, but he left. Brought in Brandon Dean, Joe Johnson, Jannero Pargo.

I've been talking about this in a different thread, but had cooler heads prevailed, that 2002-03 team with Iguodala & Co. might have been pretty salty.

Another thing to think about. If cooler heads had prevailed, could Nolan Richardson still be the coach here? It's not preposterous to think. You've got to think that Mike would've eventually taken a head coaching job offer, but Nolan could've replaced him with someone, and figured out a way to reinvigorate the program.

Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MikePiazza on February 23, 2016, 12:47:52 pm
He did recruit some guys that probably didn't deserve schollies, but he was also bringing in very talented players around them. Chris Jefferies would've been a force, but he left. Brought in Brandon Dean, Joe Johnson, Jannero Pargo.

I've been talking about this in a different thread, but had cooler heads prevailed, that 2002-03 team with Iguodala & Co. might have been pretty salty.

Another thing to think about. If cooler heads had prevailed, could Nolan Richardson still be the coach here? It's not preposterous to think. You've got to think that Mike would've eventually taken a head coaching job offer, but Nolan could've replaced him with someone, and figured out a way to reinvigorate the program.

It wasn't working with Nolan.  The relationship was badly broken and the program was floundering. 

Mike couldn't get hired as a head coach while Nolan's assistant.  It took his being unemployed and his hometown college giving him a chance.

Speaking of Nolan's staff, it was underwhelming after Stoglin and Edgar left.  Why would we assume he would have made a good hire to replace Mike? 

bvillepig

Larry Johnson picking us instead of UNLV out of JUCO
Big O not breaking a bone in his foot two weeks before the tourney.

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

MikePiazza

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 23, 2016, 12:52:49 pm
It wasn't working with Nolan.  The relationship was badly broken and the program was floundering. 

Mike couldn't get hired as a head coach while Nolan's assistant.  It took his being unemployed and his hometown college giving him a chance.

Speaking of Nolan's staff, it was underwhelming after Stoglin and Edgar left.  Why would we assume he would have made a good hire to replace Mike?

This is opinion, not fact. But okay.

You don't think that Nolan could've hired someone to get the job done? Nobody wanted to come work for him?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MikePiazza on February 23, 2016, 01:07:35 pm
This is opinion, not fact. But okay.

You don't think that Nolan could've hired someone to get the job done? Nobody wanted to come work for him?

It is opinion.  The lawsuit and all that came out during it and before is a pretty strong indication it was broken plus the on the court performances and rosters. 

I don't know if we could trust he would have.  He kept Notes hanging around until he was forced to find him a job elsewhere. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: MikePiazza on February 23, 2016, 12:47:52 pm

The 1999-2000 Roster would have had Dean, Gipson, Johnson, Jefferies, Satchell, Lane, Baker, Chris Walker, Brandon Davis, Cleveland, Tatum, Gomez, and Gilbert. Only Walker and Davis would have been older than a sophomore. Pargo would have been added the following year. Jefferies could have made a huge difference in how those two seasons turned out.

Nolan is 74 right now. I could have scene a scenario where Nolan retired and took a position within the program and let Mike have his turn.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 23, 2016, 01:12:00 pm
It is opinion.  The lawsuit and all that came out during it and before is a pretty strong indication it was broken plus the on the court performances and rosters. 

I don't know if we could trust he would have.  He kept Notes hanging around until he was forced to find him a job elsewhere. 

Speaking of the lawsuit, if Nolan doesn't file one, we hire Bill Self and he is probably still the coach right now with at least a Final Four on his resume here.

Dwight_K_Shrute

When the Nolan firing went down J. Frank was almost 78 years old.  Well past his prime.  Sure he was in good shape and still a good speaker and figurehead but was he really up to the task of leading, managing, lifting the program.  Frank helped create the issues with Nolan, where a good manager/effective leader would have found a better way.  He would have enable success instead of eagerly waiting for Nolan's demise.

Then look at the hires post Nolan to see what task Frank was really up to.  Frank basically presided over two of the biggest fiascos in recent Razorback athletic history, the firing of Nolan and the fracturing of the fan base because an insecure football coach couldn't develop a QB or stand that one called him a dork. 

My biggest what if is say around 2000 if the PTB's would have put Frank out to pasture and brought in a real AD. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

MikePiazza

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on February 23, 2016, 02:04:09 pm
When the Nolan firing went down J. Frank was almost 78 years old.  Well past his prime.  Sure he was in good shape and still a good speaker and figurehead but was he really up to the task of leading, managing, lifting the program.  Frank helped create the issues with Nolan, where a good manager/effective leader would have found a better way.  He would have enable success instead of eagerly waiting for Nolan's demise.

Then look at the hires post Nolan to see what task Frank was really up to.  Frank basically presided over two of the biggest fiascos in recent Razorback athletic history, the firing of Nolan and the fracturing of the fan base because an insecure football coach couldn't develop a QB or stand that one called him a dork. 

My biggest what if is say around 2000 if the PTB's would have put Frank out to pasture and brought in a real AD.

Like this guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Don_Phillips

Pork Twain

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 23, 2016, 01:15:07 pm
Speaking of the lawsuit, if Nolan doesn't file one, we hire Bill Self and he is probably still the coach right now with at least a Final Four on his resume here.
This is what I hate most about this situation.  Both sides handled it poorly and the fans suffered.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on February 23, 2016, 02:04:09 pm

This is true too plus if White had stayed out of athletics.  Lots of parts weren't working.  Hiring DVH one of the few bright spots to have come out of that era as far as admin/coaches. 

Jborohog09

If Scotty Thurman had not been off against UCLA or if Ed O'Bannon and Toby Bailey hadn't had the games of their lives. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: Jborohog09 on February 23, 2016, 02:21:43 pm
If Scotty Thurman had not been off against UCLA or if Ed O'Bannon and Toby Bailey hadn't had the games of their lives. 

Scotty stayed for the 1996 season. How good would that team have been?

Jborohog09

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 23, 2016, 02:39:19 pm
Scotty stayed for the 1996 season. How good would that team have been?

His experience alone would have made it so much better.  What if Lee Wilson and Darnell Robinson had reached their potential? 

The_Iceman

Quote from: Jborohog09 on February 23, 2016, 02:41:32 pm
His experience alone would have made it so much better.  What if Lee Wilson and Darnell Robinson had reached their potential? 

Sweet 16 without him. Elite 8 or maybe another Final 4 with him. What's crazy is if you win in 1995, Scotty returns, and the 1996 recruiting class doesn't fall apart, you could easily be talking about back-to-back-to-back champions.

MikePiazza

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 23, 2016, 02:45:25 pm
Sweet 16 without him. Elite 8 or maybe another Final 4 with him. What's crazy is if you win in 1995, Scotty returns, and the 1996 recruiting class doesn't fall apart, you could easily be talking about back-to-back-to-back champions.

Nobody was beating that '96 UK team, but three straight Final Fours was very realistic if Scotty stays and that class stays intact. I mean, hell, Mississippi State made the Final Four that year.

The Boar War

What if we lose the NIT game against Arkansas State?  If that happens there's a good possibility that Nolan is shown the door.  We likely don't go to three of our Final Fours and our National Championship Games.  And we don't win the 1994 Championship.  Without that success Frank never could have rationalized the building of a Gym the size of Bud Walton Arena.  Mike wouldn't have coached here and we never become a fan base that's stuck on "40 Minutes of Hell". 

hogsanity

Quote from: The Boar War on February 23, 2016, 03:19:45 pm
What if we lose the NIT game against Arkansas State?  If that happens there's a good possibility Nolan is shown the door.  We likely don't go to three of our Final Fours and our National Championship Games.  And we don't win the 1994 Championship.  Mike wouldn't have coached here and we never become a fan base that's stuck on "40 Minutes of Hell".

I remember watching that game wondering if Nolan would make it out of the building before being fired, or if they'd just pink slip him right there on the court.   
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: The Boar War on February 23, 2016, 03:19:45 pm
What if we lose the NIT game against Arkansas State?  If that happens there's a good possibility Nolan is shown the door.  We likely don't go to three of our Final Fours and our National Championship Games.  And we don't win the 1994 Championship.  Mike wouldn't have coached here and we never become a fan base that's stuck on "40 Minutes of Hell".

Good choice. 

HogFanDan

We had taken Devan Downey instead of Sean McCurdy.

Olu Famutimi not leaving early.

Heath bulking up Charles Thomas way, way too much.

Probably would not have made a monumental difference but we wouldn't have fallen so far into irrelevancy.

sadhogfan

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 23, 2016, 11:27:39 am

Good list. As an add-on to your #3, Nolan is convinced that if they would have won that game, Corliss and Scotty would have returned for a shot at a 3-peat. Combining that with your #1, imagine this lineup:

Kareem Reid/Marlon Towns
Pat Bradley/Jesse Pate
Scotty Thurman/Sunday Adebayo
Corliss Williamson/Derek Hood
Darnell Robinson/Lee Wilson

Good rebounding team with Corliss, Sunday, Hood, and the twin towers, and can you imagine Scotty and Pat Bradley from outside the arc? Reid would have averaged 10 ASTS per game (he averaged almost 7 already).

The_Iceman

Quote from: sadhogfan on February 23, 2016, 04:03:49 pm
Good list. As an add-on to your #3, Nolan is convinced that if they would have won that game, Corliss and Scotty would have returned for a shot at a 3-peat. Combining that with your #1, imagine this lineup:

Kareem Reid/Marlon Towns
Pat Bradley/Jesse Pate

Good rebounding team with Corliss, Sunday, Hood, and the twin towers, and can you imagine Scotty and Pat Bradley from outside the arc? Reid would have averaged 10 ASTS per game (he averaged almost 7 already).

That team vs. the 1996 Kentucky team would have been a great national championship game.

McKdaddy

Maintaining our attention (and 12-pt halftime lead) on KU in the 1991 Elite 8, instead of assuming another F4 trip was assured.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Hogimus Prime

Penny Hardaway signing with Arkansas instead of Memphis.

Big O not being over weight his Sr. year and Todd Day not missing half that year.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: sadhogfan on February 23, 2016, 04:03:49 pm

Kareem Reid/Marlon Towns
Pat Bradley/Jesse Pate

Bradley wouldn't start over Pate. Sunday wouldn't have signed had Corliss stayed. It would've been a fun team to watch