Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Predictions from here out

Started by Rawker, February 08, 2016, 04:21:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rawker

Just as a disclaimer - not that I think it should matter at all in this situation - the following is a prediction from someone who is a huge fan of CMA, so my pragmatism is not coming from negativism and certainly not from a hope that the Hogs actually do poorly so that MA's status is put in question.  I hope he coaches here until retirement.  That being said, I'm basing my prediction on what this group of kids has shown to be capable of in different situations THIS season.  However, I do think that certain programs (no matter the talent on the roster) rise to a different level against Arkansas on a historical-basis, so that much be factored in.  No matter the outcome, I look at this crop of Hogs on the floor and am often amazed that CMA has been able to help them match up well with almost every team they've played, even when some of them LOOK more powerful, athletic, and naturally gifted.  With this group, since we don't have someone who can physically take over a game if things get dicey (certainly have shooters that can, and Moses can have very good days, but....), yet we have guys that can get on at any time, my predictions could go the opposite way in a heartbeat.  So with my general positive feelings about this group in hand, here's how I see it playing out:

1) MS ST - The Bulldogs are obviously still down as a program, but this is absolutely no sure thing.  It's still a 50/50 game depending, like all their games, on how well the Hogs shoot the 3 and more importantly how well they play defense.  Since getting blown out at BWA, the bulldogs have played very close at some tough places, and could very possibly put it together playing at home against the Hogs.  I'm giving the Hogs a very hard fought, edge-of-the-seat win, after getting down early, coming back and taking a solid lead, then having to hang for dear life in the end.  This is one the Hogs absolutely have to have for the NIT bid. W

2) MISS - Ole Miss has a very similar resume as the Hogs, except they have a few more overall wins.  Hogs would probably tear them up at home, but with the fact that Mississippi seemingly always circles this game on their schedule, and the fact that they're playing at home, I think the Hogs never get over The Hump in this one. L

3) AUB - At home.  Not only is Auburn historically terrible at our house, but this particular AUB team just does not have enough weaponry to overcome the Hogs of the Bud, which it should be noted here again that the Bud Walton Hogs, no matter how mediocre they are on the road, are always one of the best teams in the country, a few games like the last UK game notwithstanding.  Auburn will not keep up. W

4) MIZ - Whatevs.  Next.  W

5) LSU - This may be one of the toughest calls.  No matter where or when this game is played, it's a heart-attack maker.  The hogs could have a great game and win this by 8-10, or it could go down to the wire with frickin' Hornsby killing us again.  It's the most either-way call on the remaining schedule.  I expected the loss in Pete Maravich, but the LSU games at the Bud are also always close, so it's 50/50.  Even though LSU really seems to be coming on as they warm-up to the dynamic of Ben Simmons and his supporting cast, I'm going to give it to the Hogs only because I want to be positive.  It's a toos-up though.  W

6) TENN - The Vols are down but very capable.  This meeting will obvioulsy be a much tougher battle away from our friendly confines, the shots don't fall like they did in the first game, and Tennessee makes us pay for just a few dumb mistakes (like other close losses). L

7) ALA - Alabama is similar to TENN in that they do have guys that could catch fire, and at home against Arkansas, they do.  We were needing to get a W after the TENN loss, but Hannahs is limited to 2-3 threes and everyone else is off, and with no shots falling the defense falls apart, resulting in a going-away win for AL.  L

8 ) SC - The Hogs have to win this one to have any shot at the NIT bid, especially after the 2 straight losses.  Luckily they play one of the great BWA games and get it.  W

SEC Tourney - The Hogs manage to win one in dramatic fashion, but they don't run the table for the Automatic bid.

FINAL RECORD: 17-14 (18-15 after SECT)
With the SOS, the slightly improved SEC showing, and 2 big wins in TAM and SC in the books, the Hogs do get an invite to the NIT

010HogFan

I'm just glad we don't have to play OM in the Tad Pad any more. We should play better than normal down there in a venue that is closer to what Bud Walton looks like

Razorod

Good run down and reasonable.

I'm letting the past (the season up to this point) indicate the future and go with a 4-4 finish. Not completely sure which ones we lose or win necessarily, but when the dust settles we'll finish the regular season at 16-15, which is better than what I thought we'd do back in the fall.

Have to see who we play in the 1st round of the tourney to predict that one.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

lynbug

The problem is that the SEC has been kinda crazy this year with any team possibly beating any other on any given day.  Also, the previous posts, discussions about how many SEC wins, SEC tourney wins, etc. kinda gets lost when you consider some 20+wins teams that stayed home in the past and the under 20 that got selected. (Yes, I know about all the other factors).  However, I think it all depends on whether we keep our game going all the way to the last tick of the clock.....not get scattered the last 2-3 minutes.  We do a better job of this at home, but........on the road............

Danny J

Your picks are about what I feel will happen also.....This team is hard to figure out. Really is hard to predict a road win with this team but maybe tomorrow changes that.

Rawker

Quote from: Danny J on February 08, 2016, 05:52:03 pm
Your picks are about what I feel will happen also.....This team is hard to figure out. Really is hard to predict a road win with this team but maybe tomorrow changes that.

No matter how hard it is to figure out where road wins come from, one has to believe that the MSST game is the best chance at one.  With the way this team has played on the good days and the bad days, they could finish 8-0 or 0-8.  Just hope it's closer to the former, and if so, their SOS - and the fact that it's common knowledge how many of their losses have been super close - will afford them an NIT bid.

nwahogfan1

Very reasonable predictions. I hope we get a NIT bid. I certainly did not expect one this year. Will show me and the other Debbie downers that maybe Mike can keep this program respectable again on a annual basis even without elite players.  If that happens then I can see us with retention of our players and recruiting better players where we can stay nationally ranked more often and even winning several games in the NCAAT again.

BRHogfan

"The Hump" is where miss state plays.  Because of that error, I can't take anything you say seriously.  I don't have a ton of respect for other schools venues, but if you try and use their names and fail, it just makes you look bad.

LRHawg

Hump Dump =/= Tad Pad

Other than that I agree with most your predictions, although I think we beat Bama.

Hawg Red

6-2 the rest of the way. Losses at Ole Miss and either Bama or UT. Big home wins against LSU and SC.

18-13 (11-7 SEC) going into the SECT.

Rawker

Quote from: BRHogfan on February 09, 2016, 07:24:51 am
"The Hump" is where miss state plays.  Because of that error, I can't take anything you say seriously.  I don't have a ton of respect for other schools venues, but if you try and use their names and fail, it just makes you look bad.

Yes, I feel so bad.  That was one of my worst mistakes ever.  :'( 

BRHogfan

Quote from: Rawker on February 09, 2016, 09:33:02 am
Yes, I feel so bad.  That was one of my worst mistakes ever.  :'(

I just expect air tight journalism on Hogville, my man.

ROASHE

at Mississippi State (L)
at Ole Miss (L)
Auburn (W)
Missouri (W)
LSU (L) - playing so much better than a month ago
at Tennessee (L)
at Alabama (L)
South Carolina (W)

SEC Tourney - One and done. Not convinced, at all, that they can beat even a decent team away from BWA

FINAL RECORD: 15-17

elksnort

5-3 finish in regular season would be good.

If the 3s fall we'll all have a ball.

Hollywood_HOGan45

The big key is the play of Whitt and Beard.

Any game those guys can approach double figures, our chances for winning skyrockets.

I know I know Captain Obvious.

elksnort

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on February 09, 2016, 12:43:29 pm
The big key is the play of Whitt and Beard.

Any game those guys can approach double figures, our chances for winning skyrockets.

I know I know Captain Obvious.
It's not that obvious, but it's a very good point. I was thinking the same thing about Trey Thompson. If you can get 6-8 points from him, the team ought to be doing well.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: elksnort on February 09, 2016, 01:10:47 pm
It's not that obvious, but it's a very good point. I was thinking the same thing about Trey Thompson. If you can get 6-8 points from him, the team ought to be doing well.

I really like Trey. He won't create points on his own but he will block/alter shots, pull boards, and he can flat out pass the ball from the top of the key.   Just stay out of foul trouble big man.

The only other times Whitt and Beard played well in the same game was against Mizzou and Tennessee.  The only easy SEC victories this season.

bphi11ips

I predict the rest of the season will be fun. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

The_Iceman

Safe bet is:

@MissState - Loss
@OleMiss - Loss
Auburn - Win
Mizzou - LOL, Win
LSU - Win
Tenn- Loss
Alabama - Loss
SCarolina - Win

16-15 (9-9), 1-1 SEC Tournament, 17-16 on the season. Probably an NIT bid.

HogBreath

Here's my prediction for balance of this season...it'll be a bad time to be a Bear!! >:(
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

pigture perfect

I was going to post something and thought better of it. Go Hogs.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

gmarv

I think we,re gonna go 6-2 most likely, 5-3 being the down and 7-1 being the up. don,t have a clue how it works out.

Dominicanhog

5 and 3... 17-14.... sect 2-1..... 19-15 and watching on Sunday.....

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: ROASHE on February 09, 2016, 11:35:05 am
at Mississippi State (L)
at Ole Miss (L)
Auburn (W)
Missouri (W)
at Tennessee (L)
at Alabama (L)
South Carolina (W)

SEC Tourney - One and done. Not convinced, at all, that they can beat even a decent team away from BWA

Here's the reality, folks.  Drink it in.

Your guys here need a dose of it.

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 09, 2016, 09:22:50 am
6-2 the rest of the way. Losses at Ole Miss and either Bama or UT. Big home wins against LSU and SC.

Quote from: gmarv on February 09, 2016, 05:33:27 pm
I think we,re gonna go 6-2 most likely, 5-3 being the down and 7-1 being the up. don,t have a clue how it works out.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Kevin

Quote from: ROASHE on February 09, 2016, 11:35:05 am
at Mississippi State (L)
at Ole Miss (L)
Auburn (W)
Missouri (W)
at Tennessee (L)
at Alabama (L)
South Carolina (W)

this
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hawg Red

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on February 10, 2016, 12:34:04 pm

You can F off. I don't need you telling me what I need based on a rest-of-season prediction that is 1 game in. I'm plenty realistic.

mountainhog

razoredge178

Quote from: elksnort on February 09, 2016, 01:10:47 pm

News flash: Everyone from the 1-8 hole needs to perform well for this particular team to do well.

bhogs05

I predicted 14-17 regular season before the year started on here..we might find a way to sneak out one more win and get to 15-16 regular season and then lose 1st game of SEC tourney so 15-17 it is. 

ROASHE

Quote from: mountainhog on February 10, 2016, 12:45:46 pm
I think we lose to South Carolina.

I was throwing a bone out there with that one but I can definitely see a loss to USCe

elksnort

Quote from: razoredge178 on February 10, 2016, 12:47:19 pm
News flash: Everyone from the 1-8 hole needs to perform well for this particular team to do well.
Sure. The assumption was that the main starters will play well.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 10, 2016, 12:44:13 pm
You can F off. I don't need you telling me what I need based on a rest-of-season prediction that is 1 game in. I'm plenty realistic.

Wrong.  Guess again. 
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Hawg Red

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on February 11, 2016, 07:47:31 am
Wrong.  Guess again.

No, I'm pretty certain (not guessing) that I'm right (not wrong) that you can F off.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 11, 2016, 07:58:32 am
No, I'm pretty certain (not guessing) that I'm right (not wrong) that you can F off.

Hahahahaha!! 

I'm certain you can make that request, but it's not up to you whether or not that actually occurs!!

So, guess again!!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on February 10, 2016, 12:34:04 pm

Is the truth of what I tried to tell you here sinking in yet?

Razorod

It appears that it is going to be even worse than the naysayers thought.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 09, 2016, 02:34:42 pm
Safe bet is:

@MissState - Loss
@OleMiss - Loss
Auburn - Win
Mizzou - LOL, Win
LSU - Win
Tenn- Loss
Alabama - Loss
SCarolina - Win

16-15 (9-9), 1-1 SEC Tournament, 17-16 on the season. Probably an NIT bid.

The real "safe bet" is predictions like these were on the assumption we would not completely quit on the season. So far, if the past three games are an indicator, we have
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

solitons

Quote from: Rawker on February 08, 2016, 04:21:33 pm
Just as a disclaimer - not that I think it should matter at all in this situation - the following is a prediction from someone who is a huge fan of CMA, so my pragmatism is not coming from negativism and certainly not from a hope that the Hogs actually do poorly so that MA's status is put in question.  I hope he coaches here until retirement.  That being said, I'm basing my prediction on what this group of kids has shown to be capable of in different situations THIS season.  However, I do think that certain programs (no matter the talent on the roster) rise to a different level against Arkansas on a historical-basis, so that much be factored in.  No matter the outcome, I look at this crop of Hogs on the floor and am often amazed that CMA has been able to help them match up well with almost every team they've played, even when some of them LOOK more powerful, athletic, and naturally gifted.  With this group, since we don't have someone who can physically take over a game if things get dicey (certainly have shooters that can, and Moses can have very good days, but....), yet we have guys that can get on at any time, my predictions could go the opposite way in a heartbeat.  So with my general positive feelings about this group in hand, here's how I see it playing out:

1) MS ST - The Bulldogs are obviously still down as a program, but this is absolutely no sure thing.  It's still a 50/50 game depending, like all their games, on how well the Hogs shoot the 3 and more importantly how well they play defense.  Since getting blown out at BWA, the bulldogs have played very close at some tough places, and could very possibly put it together playing at home against the Hogs.  I'm giving the Hogs a very hard fought, edge-of-the-seat win, after getting down early, coming back and taking a solid lead, then having to hang for dear life in the end.  This is one the Hogs absolutely have to have for the NIT bid. W

2) MISS - Ole Miss has a very similar resume as the Hogs, except they have a few more overall wins.  Hogs would probably tear them up at home, but with the fact that Mississippi seemingly always circles this game on their schedule, and the fact that they're playing at home, I think the Hogs never get over The Hump in this one. L

3) AUB - At home.  Not only is Auburn historically terrible at our house, but this particular AUB team just does not have enough weaponry to overcome the Hogs of the Bud, which it should be noted here again that the Bud Walton Hogs, no matter how mediocre they are on the road, are always one of the best teams in the country, a few games like the last UK game notwithstanding.  Auburn will not keep up. W

4) MIZ - Whatevs.  Next.  W

5) LSU - This may be one of the toughest calls.  No matter where or when this game is played, it's a heart-attack maker.  The hogs could have a great game and win this by 8-10, or it could go down to the wire with frickin' Hornsby killing us again.  It's the most either-way call on the remaining schedule.  I expected the loss in Pete Maravich, but the LSU games at the Bud are also always close, so it's 50/50.  Even though LSU really seems to be coming on as they warm-up to the dynamic of Ben Simmons and his supporting cast, I'm going to give it to the Hogs only because I want to be positive.  It's a toos-up though.  W

6) TENN - The Vols are down but very capable.  This meeting will obvioulsy be a much tougher battle away from our friendly confines, the shots don't fall like they did in the first game, and Tennessee makes us pay for just a few dumb mistakes (like other close losses). L

7) ALA - Alabama is similar to TENN in that they do have guys that could catch fire, and at home against Arkansas, they do.  We were needing to get a W after the TENN loss, but Hannahs is limited to 2-3 threes and everyone else is off, and with no shots falling the defense falls apart, resulting in a going-away win for AL.  L

8 ) SC - The Hogs have to win this one to have any shot at the NIT bid, especially after the 2 straight losses.  Luckily they play one of the great BWA games and get it.  W

SEC Tourney - The Hogs manage to win one in dramatic fashion, but they don't run the table for the Automatic bid.

FINAL RECORD: 17-14 (18-15 after SECT)
With the SOS, the slightly improved SEC showing, and 2 big wins in TAM and SC in the books, the Hogs do get an invite to the NIT
we'll decline the NIT invitation, we need focus on find a coach first

The_Iceman

Quote from: TNhawgfan on February 18, 2016, 03:15:32 pm
The real "safe bet" is predictions like these were on the assumption we would not completely quit on the season. So far, if the past three games are an indicator, we have

Mike quit, so his players followed suit.

Hawg Red

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on February 18, 2016, 12:16:41 pm
Is the truth of what I tried to tell you here sinking in yet?

Oh, it's sunk. Trust me.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: solitons on February 18, 2016, 03:19:13 pm
we'll decline the NIT invitation, we need focus on find a coach first

You think we'll finish strong enough to get an NIT invite?

I mean it's possible if we play like we're capable.

I just don't see it as a given.  I could easily see us playing well one more time only and limp our way to the finish line with the other remaining games being losses.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Mr. Porkleone

What's your favorite cool aid, cause you drinking plenty

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on February 18, 2016, 03:58:42 pm

If you consider WHEN he posted that, it seems much more possible.
His response to me:
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Hawg Red

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on February 18, 2016, 03:58:42 pm

There must be a bug or something, but I missed your prediction.

Or are you just talking darn but didn't post an opinion of your own?

Hawg Red

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on February 18, 2016, 04:02:45 pm
If you consider WHEN he posted that, it seems much more possible.

Just some jackass that wasn't around then to say that but wants to tell someone how wrong they were. Bigdaddyhawg at least called it out at the time.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 18, 2016, 04:04:11 pm
Just some jackass that wasn't around then to say that but wants to tell someone how wrong they were. Bigdaddyhawg at least called it out at the time.

Well, for what it's worth, I thought your prediction was a little rosy but possible.

Who would have thought that the team would have a meltdown that makes Chernobyl look like a campfire?
His response to me:

Hawg Red

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on February 18, 2016, 04:10:42 pm
Well, for what it's worth, I thought your prediction was a little rosy but possible.

Who would have thought that the team would have a meltdown that makes Chernobyl look like a campfire?

No doubt it was on the bright side.

jkstock04

The rose colored prediction threads are always wrong. Always have been.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Uncommon

So what is it looking like now?

W Missouri
L LSU
L at Tennessee
L at Alabama
L South Carolina

If I were in Long's shoes, it would be hard to retain him if this occurs.

code red

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 18, 2016, 03:29:04 pm
Mike quit, so his players followed suit.
I was thinking the same.....his entire outlook seem lackadaisical.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou