Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NC Legislature setting up possible move to the SEC?

Started by Adam Stokes, April 12, 2017, 06:44:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam Stokes

Talk about a strong armed tactic. Frustrated at the ACC's boycott of holding championships and such in their state due to the bathroom bill, the North Carolina legislature filed a bill saying that if the ACC ever boycotts the state again over political reasons that UNC and North Carolina State will withdraw from the ACC. The ACC commissioner sees no threat and just views it as the GOP legislators blowing smoke.

I couldn't see the Big 10 wanting to accept the teams in such a situation when it could be seen as anti-LGBTQ, but the SEC would likely have no qualms with at least that issue. I don't see it ever getting to that point, but would you guys be down with letting those two in the conference? Add those two to the east and swing Mizzou back out west.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19142531/under-new-bill-north-carolina-nc-state-required-withdraw-acc-conference-boycotts-state

HiggiePiggy

It would give another top program in basketball with Kentucky. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

hogcard1964

The NCAA holds sporting events in China and Cuba, yet has a problem with North Carolina.

Let that sink in.

NuttinItUp

This bill likely won't have any effect.

North Carolina likely won't pass any more bills seen as discriminatory and the ACC likely won't be boycotting North Carolina anymore, so it is a moot point.

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 12, 2017, 07:23:34 pm
The NCAA holds sporting events in China and Cuba, yet has a problem with North Carolina.

Let that sink in.
the NCAA did not hold a sporting event in China, the Pac 12 did.  The NCAA and the ACC pulled CHAMPIONSHIP games from NC, not all games.  How many championship games have been held in China/Cuba?  Last I heard, ACC teams still played in NC.  When the PAC12/NCAA holds a championship game in China/Cuba your statement will have some merit.

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: Adam Stokes on April 12, 2017, 06:44:10 pm
Talk about a strong armed tactic. Frustrated at the ACC's boycott of holding championships and such in their state due to the bathroom bill, the North Carolina legislature filed a bill saying that if the ACC ever boycotts the state again over political reasons that UNC and North Carolina State will withdraw from the ACC. The ACC commissioner sees no threat and just views it as the GOP legislators blowing smoke.

I couldn't see the Big 10 wanting to accept the teams in such a situation when it could be seen as anti-LGBTQ, but the SEC would likely have no qualms with at least that issue. I don't see it ever getting to that point, but would you guys be down with letting those two in the conference? Add those two to the east and swing Mizzou back out west.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19142531/under-new-bill-north-carolina-nc-state-required-withdraw-acc-conference-boycotts-state
The SEC will act the same as the ACC.  Those teams will have to form there own league.  UNC, NC St, Charlotte, East Carolina, UNC-Wilmington, UNC- Greensboro.....

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkRinds

GOP legislators in NC should just stop being bigots. Problem solved.

NuttinItUp

Obligatory "there will eventually be 4 super-conferences with 16 teams each" comment that is illogical.

Dwillhog66

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 12, 2017, 09:09:20 pm

Not wanting men to use restrooms your daughter may use isn't being a bigot by definition of bigot!

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 12, 2017, 09:09:20 pm

Theeeere it is!

Going to get the popcorn buttered, y'all don't start without me!!

PorkSoda

Quote from: Dwillhog66 on April 12, 2017, 09:21:49 pm
Not wanting men to use restrooms your daughter may use isn't being a bigot by definition of bigot!

I'm pretty sure more republican lawmakers have been arrested for sexual misconduct in bathrooms than transgender people.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

RedRock

No way UNC and Duke ever play in different conferences.

Dwillhog66

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 12, 2017, 09:48:47 pm
I'm pretty sure more republican lawmakers have been arrested for sexual misconduct in bathrooms than transgender people.

True for both donkeys and elephants.
Doesn't change the definition of bigot tho

Razorbax

I'll take you up on that bet...Say loser leave Hogville?

PorkRinds

Quote from: Razorbax on April 12, 2017, 10:07:35 pm
I'll take you up on that bet...Say loser leave Hogville?

You don't want to make that bet.

Razorbax

April 12, 2017, 10:58:43 pm #16 Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 11:08:50 pm by Razorbax
Quote from: PorkRinds on April 12, 2017, 10:35:50 pm
You don't want to make that bet.
So it is a bet? How is the googling?

Murr

Quote from: Adam Stokes on April 12, 2017, 06:44:10 pm

After reading the copy of that house bill online:
1. Would require any Noth Carolina public university whose conference boycotts that state to immediately submit their intentions to withdrawal from that conference.
2. The actual separation date is not determined and can actually be at the end of the current assignment of the of that school's media rights deal.
3. Schools withdrawaling must put all conference earnings from that point forward into an escrow account to help pay for any exit fees or penalties.

The escrow account would actually hurt the financial budgets of a school's athletic department.

I doubt anything happens with this bill besides political rock throwing, but remember the Belk Bowl.  While everyone was pulling out of North Carolina due to the bathroom identity laws, SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey maintained the conferences commitment to that bowl game.  If my some crazy chance UNC and NC State do leave the conference, I would have to think the SEC has a really good chance at landing the Tar Heels over the Big Ten--especially if we took UNCS too.

sickboy

Let that sink in.

It's a little different. Hell, its a lot different. We have a history, especially in the South, of being afraid of minorities and treating them poorly. When you try to write legislation in America that is seen as a measure meant to take rights away from minorities... then you're opening old and passionate wounds in this country that get American citizens very heated.

China and Cuba... not so much. Most Americans couldn't point at Beijing on a map... or tell you who the President of Cuba is. Doesn't mean anything to Americans.

What the NCAA is doing is, I'm sure, largely a PR move. And clearly the right one.

Razorbax

April 12, 2017, 11:27:01 pm #19 Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 11:57:11 pm by Razorbax
Quote from: Razorbax on April 12, 2017, 10:58:43 pm
So it is a bet? How is the googling?

come on  pork...you said it....stand up to what you said. POS as I thought......

hobhog

Feels like a football vs basketball popularity debate. And money will be deciding factor. Debate solved. 🐗🏈

LZH

Damn right.

longpig

and the earth is flat
Don't be scared, be smart.

Hawgar The Horrible

Simply amazing how some folks would rather be labeled as perverts rather than socially conservative these days.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Dwillhog66

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on April 13, 2017, 12:31:43 am
Simply amazing how some folks would rather be labeled as perverts rather than socially conservative these days.

It is amazing IMO. This issue is about appeasing less than 1/100th of 1% of the US population. Why can't the issue become about a completely separate bathroom only for transgender. Why the fight to have men share a women's restroom or a woman sharing a men's restroom. Many who r opposed to the current issue would still not like the thought of a 3rd restroom but the fight would be far less intense.

Thought I would throw in my last thought before this thread is trashed!

a0ashle

I'm holding out for a ban on catholic priests. Think of the children!!!

a0ashle

P.s. I am not sure why it's gone, but we need the politics board back, I like to choose when I dabble in this crap.

hoghiker

I'm not sure how switching to a different  conference is a jab at the NCAA. Still in the same NCAA

(notOM)Rebel123

Link?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

hogcard1964

PorkRinds

Quote from: Razorbax on April 12, 2017, 11:27:01 pm
come on  pork...you said it....stand up to what you said. POS as I thought......

It's cute when you're outraged. I'm not the guy that you wanted to bet. I just gave you some advice that it's not a bet you really want to make.

rljjr

Let that sink in.

Understated yet profound.

Razorbax

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 13, 2017, 08:11:47 am
It's cute when you're outraged. I'm not the guy that you wanted to bet. I just gave you some advice that it's not a bet you really want to make.
Self-interest trumps all from what I hear.....Cute? Based upon your standards, anything with a heartbeat must be"cute".

1longshot

Well the original guy was porksoda I'm not sure how you were called out porkrinds?

PorkRinds

Quote from: Razorbax on April 13, 2017, 08:39:32 am
Self-interest trumps all from what I hear.....Cute? Based upon your standards, anything with a heartbeat must be"cute".

I'm not sure what you're talking about and it's pretty clear you aren't either.  If you want to be afraid of mean ole transgender people and cower in fear go for it. I'm just going to keep peeing and minding my own business.

PorkRinds

Quote from: 1longshot on April 13, 2017, 08:47:18 am
Well the original guy was porksoda I'm not sure how you were called out porkrinds?

He's confused. It happens. Especially with fraidy cats.

jm

Let that sink in.

This has been my thought as well.

jm

And I don't want them in the bathroom with a 12 year old girl.

a0ashle

Quote from: jm on April 13, 2017, 10:17:49 am

Lol, educate yourself. They already have, you already have. Stop worrying about other people's gen-it-als.

P.s. You'd want this guy in the women's restroom because he was born with a [CENSORED]

PorkRinds

Quote from: jm on April 13, 2017, 10:17:49 am

Unless you are standing at the door taking id's and doing junk checks you have no way of knowing what bathroom someone should use. Which means it's none of your business.

hobhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 13, 2017, 08:53:07 am
I'm not sure what you're talking about and it's pretty clear you aren't either.  If you want to be afraid of mean ole transgender people and cower in fear go for it. I'm just going to keep peeing and minding my own business.

People in Europe are laughing at this debate. Hell I peed in the same bathroom as women many times while over there....

Kevin

Quote from: hobhog on April 13, 2017, 11:17:44 am
People in Europe are laughing at this debate. Hell I peed in the same bathroom as women many times while over there....

I don't want this country to be like europe
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 13, 2017, 11:07:07 am
Unless you are standing at the door taking id's and doing junk checks you have no way of knowing what bathroom someone should use. Which means it's none of your business.

I'd venture a guess a say you don't have kids....
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

sickboy

PorkRinds

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on April 13, 2017, 11:53:53 am
I'd venture a guess a say you don't have kids....

You'd be wrong. Two beautiful little girls that mind their own business when using the bathroom. I'm just not one to be afraid of a boogeyman.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 13, 2017, 12:12:24 pm
You'd be wrong. Two beautiful little girls that mind their own business when using the bathroom. I'm just not one to be afraid of a boogeyman.

It's not your girls minding their own business you should be concerned about.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

dethnode

Lets hash this out.   The problem with transgender people using the same bathroom as the opposite birth assigned gender, is that it predicates the idea that gender is not biological, that it is only a form of social construct.  And, I'm sorry, but this idea, is false.  Gender is binary, you are a man, or you are a woman.  You are free to identify yourself as whatever you choose, but I and society at large can and should identify you as what you are.  The reason behind this is simple. 

At what point, is gender selectivity no longer fluid.  I commit a crime as a 240 lb man, i identify as a woman, does the state have to recognize my selection and send me to a woman prison? 

I want to start a business but I am a man, can i temporarily self define as a woman and be entitled to the many loans available for small business started by women?

What about things like selective service (the draft), can I abstain from registering for the draft because I identify as a woman?

What about the 14 year old boys who just want to share dressing rooms with women so they can get a peek? 

Can I change my identified gender at the drop of a hat anytime I feel it is beneficial? 

"I got fired from my job, must be because I am a woman, and they are discriminating."  "But, you are not a woman!"  "Now you are discriminating, because I identify as a woman today and who are you to tell me different" "Bob, we have watched the super bowl together for 10 years, never have you mentioned anything about identifying as a woman"  "Today I do, you chauvinistic pig"

What about age?  Is age a social construct as well?  I mean, hell screw it, I'm now a 65 year old with a 35 year old body... give me my social security paycheck and sign me up for medicare....

Race, I suddenly qualify for all sorts of benefits through the NAACP, because although I am white as the middle of a Oreo cookie, today I self identify as a black man, and I magically feel the years of struggle for all my african american brothers and sisters. 

You see, no, most transgender people aren't going into the bathroom to get a peek at little cynthia... but we make rules not for the majority, because the majority have common decency.. we make laws and rules to protect from the rare instance that things could go very badly.

For example, we tell our children not to open the door for strangers.  Now, 99% of people out there that knock on your door, aren't going to abduct your child... but we make the rule for the 1% that are.  And now the poor 99% that are good people, have to deal with trying to tell a 5 year old through the door to go get mommy or daddy to sign for the package...

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

PorkRinds

Quote from: dethnode on April 13, 2017, 12:17:56 pm
Lets hash this out.   The problem with transgender people using the same bathroom as the opposite birth assigned gender, is that it predicates the idea that gender is not biological, that it is only a form of social construct.  And, I'm sorry, but this idea, is false.  Gender is binary, you are a man, or you are a woman.  You are free to identify yourself as whatever you choose, but I and society at large can and should identify you as what you are.  The reason behind this is simple. 

At what point, is gender selectivity no longer fluid.  I commit a crime as a 240 lb man, i identify as a woman, does the state have to recognize my selection and send me to a woman prison? 

I want to start a business but I am a man, can i temporarily self define as a woman and be entitled to the many loans available for small business started by women?

What about things like selective service (the draft), can I abstain from registering for the draft because I identify as a woman?

What about the 14 year old boys who just want to share dressing rooms with women so they can get a peek? 

Can I change my identified gender at the drop of a hat anytime I feel it is beneficial? 

"I got fired from my job, must be because I am a woman, and they are discriminating."  "But, you are not a woman!"  "Now you are discriminating, because I identify as a woman today and who are you to tell me different" "Bob, we have watched the super bowl together for 10 years, never have you mentioned anything about identifying as a woman"  "Today I do, you chauvinistic pig"

What about age?  Is age a social construct as well?  I mean, hell screw it, I'm now a 65 year old with a 35 year old body... give me my social security paycheck and sign me up for medicare....

Race, I suddenly qualify for all sorts of benefits through the NAACP, because although I am white as the middle of a Oreo cookie, today I self identify as a black man, and I magically feel the years of struggle for all my african american brothers and sisters. 

You see, no, most transgender people aren't going into the bathroom to get a peek at little cynthia... but we make rules not for the majority, because the majority have common decency.. we make laws and rules to protect from the rare instance that things could go very badly.

For example, we tell our children not to open the door for strangers.  Now, 99% of people out there that knock on your door, aren't going to abduct your child... but we make the rule for the 1% that are.  And now the poor 99% that are good people, have to deal with trying to tell a 5 year old through the door to go get mommy or daddy to sign for the package...

Let me rephrase that for you "it's icky".

PorkRinds

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on April 13, 2017, 12:15:44 pm
It's not your girls minding their own business you should be concerned about.

I'm not concerned at all. Anyone breaking the law in a bathroom is already breaking the law without me worrying about transgender people and where they pee.  Seems some only want government out of our lives when they feel like it.  I want limited government in all areas, including where people relieve themselves.