Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cuonzo Martin killing it at Mizzou

Started by MountieDawg, April 12, 2017, 08:22:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MountieDawg

April 12, 2017, 08:22:20 am Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 09:12:11 pm by The_Bionic_Pig
He hit the ground running with the top recruit in the country, another 4 star guy and hot on the #8 player overall Kevin Knox... The SEC is improving quickly!
SEC!

rzrbkman

Quote from: MountieDawg on April 12, 2017, 08:22:20 am
He hit the ground running with the top recruit in the country, another 4 star guy and hot on the #8 player overall Kevin Knox... The SEC is improving quickly!

3 seasons at Missouri St.
3 seasons at Tennessee
3 seasons at California

I can understand him leaving Missouri St. for Tennessee but he does seem quite mobile. Missouri has not been able to keep any coach very long the last several years so he may just be there long enough for this group of recruits to move through the system. He did take a team at Missouri St. with only 8 players, two of those were walk-ons, and beat Arkansas.

The Hogfather

Quote from: MountieDawg on April 12, 2017, 08:22:20 am

He always does.  And, then he doesn't do shiz after they get to campus.

nwahogfan1

No doubt Condo is leaving teams in better position than when arrives but I wonder if athletic director or fans get tired of him in short order for the reason he has been leaving in short order?

Curious of his off the court comments and if he is a easy guy to get behind.

mizzouman

Quote from: rzrbkman on April 12, 2017, 08:54:36 am
3 seasons at Tennessee
3 seasons at California

I can understand him leaving Missouri St. for Tennessee but he does seem quite mobile. Missouri has not been able to keep any coach very long the last several years so he may just be there long enough for this group of recruits to move through the system. He did take a team at Missouri St. with only 8 players, two of those were walk-ons, and beat Arkansas.
Need to look at why he left UT and Cal. 

jjdlc

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 12, 2017, 08:56:57 am

Yep.

Porter Jr. is likely a 1 and done, the question is, can Martin meld a team from this talent in 1 year, his first at Mizzou.  Remember how well Ben Simmons worked out for LSU. 

mizzouman

I'm afraid that MPJ has more to do with this class than Cuonzo. Be interesting to see how he recruits in the future.

King Kong

Quote from: mizzouman on April 12, 2017, 09:06:01 am
Need to look at why he left UT and Cal.

Because UT and Cal were going to fire him if he had a down year?

Not hating. I think Martin is a decent coach. But UT and Cal weren't to satisfied with his results

RazorPiggie

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 12, 2017, 08:56:57 am

I don't think he is really known as a "recruiter." He has gotten some good players when he was at Tenner but most were from Tenner.

I noticed he pulled in some guys from different areas while at Cal. But still wasn't like a UK, KU, or Duke, it was just one or two players.

NWAHog479

mizzouman

Quote from: King Kong on April 12, 2017, 09:08:44 am
Because UT and Cal were going to fire him if he had a down year?

Not hating. I think Martin is a decent coach. But UT and Cal weren't to satisfied with his results
No. Read about how Cuonzo was treated at UT. Recruiting budget slashed, threats, etc.  Short of winning the NC, he was not wanted by the fan base. At Cal, there is NO budget to speak of and he wanted to come back to the Midwest, STL area where he grew up.

The Hogfather

Quote from: RazorPiggie on April 12, 2017, 09:16:15 am
I don't think he is really known as a "recruiter." He has gotten some good players when he was at Tenner but most were from Tenner.

I noticed he pulled in some guys from different areas while at Cal. But still wasn't like a UK, KU, or Duke, it was just one or two players.

He's a really good recruiter.  He's been at Missouri State, UT, and Cal.  Can't figure out why he isn't recruiting like UK, KU, or Duke?

King Kong

Quote from: mizzouman on April 12, 2017, 11:11:24 am
No. Read about how Cuonzo was treated at UT. Recruiting budget slashed, threats, etc.  Short of winning the NC, he was not wanted by the fan base. At Cal, there is NO budget to speak of and he wanted to come back to the Midwest, STL area where he grew up.

My statements are still correct.  Both schools would have fired him if he had a mediocre year. Even going to the Sweet 16 as an 11 seed didn't overcome losing a home NIT game to Mercer

Kevin

nothing like hiring the dad of the best player in the country. will lavar ball be on staff next
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jjdlc

Quote from: mizzouman on April 12, 2017, 11:11:24 am

No doubt he was getting a raw deal with the fans at Tenner, but his results weren't anything to write home about either.  He still has a lot to prove, Mizzou is a decent program where he should have the support needed to do so if he really is a good coach.

mizzouman

Quote from: King Kong on April 12, 2017, 11:28:24 am
My statements are still correct.  Both schools would have fired him if he had a mediocre year. Even going to the Sweet 16 as an 11 seed didn't overcome losing a home NIT game to Mercer
A lot of coaches get fired after mediocre seasons. Cuonzo wanted to come home to the Midwest. Don't know how it will turn out but we will see.

mizzouman

Quote from: Kevin on April 12, 2017, 11:45:01 am
nothing like hiring the dad of the best player in the country. will lavar ball be on staff next
Happens all the time and this is a little different situation.

mizzouman

Quote from: jjdlc on April 12, 2017, 11:54:19 am
No doubt he was getting a raw deal with the fans at Tenner, but his results weren't anything to write home about either.  He still has a lot to prove, Mizzou is a decent program where he should have the support needed to do so if he really is a good coach.
Raw deal is an understatement and I agree he has a lot to prove.

lc480

Him and Mizzou be just be another team that at best will be looking up at Kentucky, he not that good of a coach or recruiter.

Atlhogfan1

PAC 12 programs tend to keep athletics in better perspective.   I could see why a lack of resources and emphasis vs the SEC would occur at Cal.

I hate Mizzou.  Wish they weren't in SEC.  But it would be better for conf if they return to being relevant in basketball.  Kind of like for us the stars seem to be aligning for their recruiting right now.  Who can capitalize and sustain it?
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Scott7703

HawgTide

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 12, 2017, 11:14:06 am
He's a really good recruiter.  He's been at Missouri State, UT, and Cal.  Can't figure out why he isn't recruiting like UK, KU, or Duke?

He needs to start doing a better job with all that talent if he wants to last at Mizzou. Average coach. I doubt he's there long term.

ADavisTheGOAT

Couldn't do anything with all those 4/5 stars at California. What makes you think he'll do anything at Mizzery?
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

HogBreath

Quote from: lc480 on April 12, 2017, 07:07:03 pm
Him and Mizzou be just be another team that at best will be looking up at Kentucky, he not that good of a coach or recruiter.
Here, here..nicely stated!
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Sharky

Quote from: HawgTide on April 12, 2017, 08:22:08 pm
He needs to start doing a better job with all that talent if he wants to last at Mizzou. Average coach. I doubt he's there long term.

They signed him to a 7-year contract @ $3 million per year. He'll be around for a bit.

His ties to East St. Louis (he grew up there, won two IL state championships) should help him recruit there, if he can keep the players in line...it's a pretty rough area to grow up.

From google:

"East St. Louis is not only one of the most violent cities in the United States, it also continuously ranks among the world's most dangerous cities. According to FBI's data of 2007, the murder rate of East St. Louis hit 101.9 per population of 100,000..."

He seems like a good guy who will be good for the league. Cancer ended his euro-pro career; went back and finished his degree at Purdue. Then put in 8 seasons as an assistant there. He's gotten a good draw for a new coach; sometimes that works out. Sometimes it doesn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuonzo_Martin

blu

In his presser he stressed that this is home and he plans on retiring from Mizzou. It will be good for the conference and for the UA/MU BB rivalry if he is successful. We play them twice annually, might as well get some good RPI/quality wins/strength of schedule props for playing them.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

NotSoFastMyFriend

Youngsta71701

Quote from: rzrbkman on April 12, 2017, 08:54:36 am
3 seasons at Tennessee
3 seasons at California

He's a modern day mercenary.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: mizzouman on April 12, 2017, 09:07:46 am
I'm afraid that MPJ has more to do with this class than Cuonzo. Be interesting to see how he recruits in the future.

A little easier to recruit top players when you hire their Dad.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on April 12, 2017, 10:31:39 am
He alone isn't killing it. He got lucky that the coach at UW was fired and he's friends with the assistant that has a son that's ranked #1 in the country.
Quite a coincidence huh...

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Kevin on April 12, 2017, 11:45:01 am
Ding Ding Ding!!! We have a winner!!!! ;D

Youngsta71701

Quote from: mizzouman on April 12, 2017, 06:14:40 pm
I'm just curious. Would you be saying the same thing if this had happened at another school, especially another SEC school? Or are you just defending Missouri? I believe you would be saying there's something fishy going on ???.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 13, 2017, 06:47:31 am
A little easier to recruit top players when you hire their Dad.
Yeah, I think our women's program should hire Lee Mayberry and Corey Beck as assistants so we can get their daughters ;D. Just saying. Carry on...

PORKULATOR

Quote from: NWAHog479 on April 12, 2017, 09:18:46 am
Who is "Conzo?"
He's just this guy, ya know.... A guy with a letter missing.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: mizzouman on April 12, 2017, 06:14:40 pm

The most egregious example was when Larry Brown hired Danny Manning's dad, Ed, to be an assistant coach at Kansas when Danny was the #1 high school senior in the country.  Ed had played a few years in the NBA, but when Brown hired him, he was ....  a truck driver.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

mizzouman

Quote from: Hogfan991 on April 12, 2017, 09:50:52 pm
Couldn't do anything with all those 4/5 stars at California. What makes you think he'll do anything at Mizzery?
Like I said, it remains to be seen.  I don't know he can do anything.  What I do know is having the 4/5 * guys is better than not having them.  We'll just have to wait and see.

mizzouman

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on April 13, 2017, 06:54:02 am
I'm just curious. Would you be saying the same thing if this had happened at another school, especially another SEC school? Or are you just defending Missouri? I believe you would be saying there's something fishy going on ???.
I'm realistic.  It happens all the time.  Calipari did it, Larry Brown did it and even coach K to a lesser extent.  The difference here is that Coach Porter is actually a coach whereas Calipari hired a dad as an assistant who never coached before and so did Larry Brown.  At least Porter has coached for several years at Mizzou before. 
I would have had NO problems if CMA did the same thing.  I mean, in a perfect world, that wouldn't be necessary but as long as it's within the rules, then do it. 

mizzouman

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on April 13, 2017, 06:57:33 am
Yeah, I think our women's program should hire Lee Mayberry and Corey Beck as assistants so we can get their daughters ;D. Just saying. Carry on...
Do what you gotta do.

mizzouman

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 13, 2017, 07:45:02 am
The most egregious example was when Larry Brown hired Danny Manning's dad, Ed, to be an assistant coach at Kansas when Danny was the #1 high school senior in the country.  Ed had played a few years in the NBA, but when Brown hired him, he was ....  a truck driver.
EXACTLY.  Mizzou is a different situation. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: mizzouman on April 13, 2017, 10:08:46 am
EXACTLY.  Mizzou is a different situation.

Only because his dad was a coach already.

3kgthog

We could say we gave Marcus Monk all the graduate help and employment opportunities in the world in an attempt to get his brother. Then there's Gus and the...nevermind.

If we aren't willing to play the game and jump through the legal loopholes, we shouldn't gripe when we lose to the teams that do.

The_Iceman

If Mike got a draw as lucky as Cuonzo did, he'd have two Sweet 16s at Arkansas.

mizzouman

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 13, 2017, 11:15:35 am
Only because his dad was a coach already.
He lived in Columbia for 7 years prior to going to UW just last year.  Again, different situations, completely.

mizzouman

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 13, 2017, 11:32:40 am
If Mike got a draw as lucky as Cuonzo did, he'd have two Sweet 16s at Arkansas.
Mike did get a lucky draw when he was at Mizzou.  Carroll and Bowers come to mind.

The_Iceman

Quote from: mizzouman on April 13, 2017, 12:13:44 pm
Mike did get a lucky draw when he was at Mizzou.  Carroll and Bowers come to mind.

And Cuonzo just happen to have Jarnell Stokes' brother on campus.

He had three McDonald's all Americans at one time on his roster at Cal, and did nothing with it. Same will happen at Mizzou.

Science Fiction Greg

something something jimmys and joes

something something SEC SPORTS FORUM
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on April 13, 2017, 01:51:23 pm
something something jimmys and joes

something something SEC SPORTS FORUM

Motion seconded.
Hogs up! Covid down!

mizzouman

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 13, 2017, 01:05:26 pm
And Cuonzo just happen to have Jarnell Stokes' brother on campus.

He had three McDonald's all Americans at one time on his roster at Cal, and did nothing with it. Same will happen at Mizzou.
Maybe, maybe not.  How would anyone know?  But here's what I do know.  However this turns out, it's going to be fun.

latrops

In no Cuonzo fan...but his UT and Cal winning % is very similar to Anderson's at Arkansas.  Tough to say how awful Martin is when our guy isn't really doing much better....unless you are also suggesting Anderson stinks.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Hogfan991 on April 12, 2017, 09:50:52 pm
Hogs up! Covid down!