Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mizz on verge of landing Jeremiah Tilmon after NLI from Illinois

Started by Hoggy Bear, April 05, 2017, 01:45:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

311Hog

does he have any family that need a job on Mizzou's staff or in the athletic dept.?

The_Iceman

Mizzou is about to be right back as a Top 25 basketball program if this recruiting keeps up.

Letsroll1200

Hawg Red

Luckily these will be short-term players receiving mediocre coaching.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 05, 2017, 02:27:09 pm
Mizzou is about to be right back as a Top 25 basketball program if this recruiting keeps up.

Or be like Mississippi State right now.  Which of course means they will continue to play out of their freaking mind against Arkansas.

mizzouman

Kevin Knox coming in for a visit this weekend. A 5* McDonals player will be visiting with Porter. Per Knox, there's a good chance can get him. 

311Hog

Quote from: mizzouman on April 06, 2017, 03:29:10 pm
Kevin Knox coming in for a visit this weekend. A 5* McDonals player will be visiting with Porter. Per Knox, there's a good chance can get him. 

Why? his dad need a job?  sister, mother, cousin?

ShadowHawg

No offense Mizzou, if these guys are as good as advertised they won't be around long enough to reestablish your program unless you can reload every other year. See LSU

Hawg Red

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 06, 2017, 03:33:59 pm
No offense Mizzou, if these guys are as good as advertised they won't be around long enough to reestablish your program unless you can reload every other year. See LSU

That's exactly what it'll be. A slightly better version of LSU, down to the coach (Jones to Martin).

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 06, 2017, 03:38:40 pm
That's exactly what it'll be. A slightly better version of LSU, down to the coach (Jones to Martin).

Or Idiana and Ohio State

Razorbackers

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 05, 2017, 02:27:09 pm

One and dones won't save a program, though.

But this is a good start for their coach, and just a whirlwind of good fortune for him.

blu

It's good for Mizzou and good for SEC basketball as well.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

ADavisTheGOAT

Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

The_Bionic_Pig

Guy's a good Missouri team helps establish SEC basketball period. 

People were complaining about strength of the SEC schedule.... Well if you have 4-5 teams consistently in the top25 (as in football) then Kentucky dominance of getting the CBS or ESPN highlighted games while others SEC teams are pushed to 9:00 p.m. starts on the SEC network ends.

Heck I'm hoping Zion goes to South Carolina...
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

azhog10

They got Blake Harris over the weekend. Big time guard. SEC is going to be really tough next year.

The_Iceman

Quote from: azhog10 on April 10, 2017, 09:14:20 am
They got Blake Harris over the weekend. Big time guard. SEC is going to be really tough next year.

4 star PG from North Carolina.

mizzouman

You guys act like you wouldn't want a one and done. The Mizzou and LSU are two different situations.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: mizzouman on April 11, 2017, 06:54:40 pm
You guys act like you wouldn't want a one and done. The Mizzou and LSU are two different situations.

No they aren't. You are not going to reload like Kentucky every year. Your team could be built around guys who don't stay and take three quarters of a season to gel, see Kentucky when they lack upperclassmen leadership.

If they stay two seasons you should get at least one really good year, but if you do they will definitely be gone and you will have lost your leaders in production and floor presence. See our season following Portis and Qualls left.

I would like a one and done to go with an already good team, but that's not what you are looking at.

HardingHog

I really dislike Mizzou (living there does that to you), but if you're a fan then you like the way they're headed
Let's just fast forward and say they get Tilmon and Knox (which is less likely, but just go along for this scenario's sake)
A) This is different from LSU because there'd be more highly rated talent at Mizzou than there was at LSU. Also all these guys are going there together thus showing a level of chemistry that was just never there at LSU

B) Out of all these guys I only think Porter Jr. and Knox are 1 and dones. I think Tilmon will be there multiple years, Harris will be there for a few years, and Johntay Porter is a multi-year player (whenever he decides to arrive on campus)

C) Barnett, Puryear, Phillips, and Geist will also be solid returners next year who will all have another year of improvement under their belt and give some veteran leadership to all these young guys

D) Missouri is a state that produces enough talent that if Cuonzo can keep STL and KC (with occaisional SW and SE MO guys) instate that he'll only have to get a player or 2 from out of state every so often (which I'd believe he can do with his recruiting abilities)

... but screw Mizzou and I hope all their good players go overseas this year and the Tigers get lost in the wilderness for the next 40 years  ;)  ;)  ;D

Hawg Red

Quote from: mizzouman on April 11, 2017, 06:54:40 pm

Maybe the situation is different than LSU (though I don't see how anyone can be sold on Martin's chops as a coach), but in the immediate, I think it will be very similar to LSU. The question will come back to if Cuonzo Martin can coach. We know he can recruit. We know he has a great recruiting base to work with, so the talent will be there. What can he do with it? He didn't do squat at Cal with better talent than Arkansas had this year and he got the path of all paths to the Sweet 16 at Tennessee. He's been very fortunate as a high-major head coach in terms of luck and ability to upgrade jobs despite a lack of resume.

mizzouman

I don't know what the future holds for Mizzou hoops but getting potentially 3 five star and 3 four star guys in one recruiting class is better than what we going to get, that is only one recruit.

Hawg Red

Quote from: mizzouman on April 12, 2017, 09:13:54 am
I don't know what the future holds for Mizzou hoops but getting potentially 3 five star and 3 four star guys in one recruiting class is better than what we going to get, that is only one recruit.

No doubt it's a massive, massive upgrade over what was going on. I just think the jury is still out on Martin as a coach. Everything is there.

Big Nasty 34

It short circuits the rebuild and honestly puts a lot of pressure and expectations on Martin whenever these guys leave. Don't wanna set the bar too high too early...

mizzouman

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 12, 2017, 09:23:12 am
No doubt it's a massive, massive upgrade over what was going on. I just think the jury is still out on Martin as a coach. Everything is there.
Fair enough. Jury will always be out on any coach until they make progress in the NCAAT.

logic

It is not just Missouri that has a great 2017 recruiting class.  As proud as I am of our 2017 recruiting class, I realize there are eight (8) SEC teams with higher ranking 2017 classes.  Winning in the SEC is not going to be easy.  For Arkansas to win, Mike must out coach the other SEC coaches and I believe he does.

Scott7703

Quote from: mizzouman on April 06, 2017, 03:29:10 pm

If you only had a coach that could coach them.

mizzouman

Scott7703

mizzouman

Quote from: Scott7703 on April 13, 2017, 10:35:10 am

Unless he suddenly learns how to coach I've already seen.
Again, don't know what will happen.  He may be bust, but it's going to be interesting to watch.

rzrbackramsfan

This cuonzo can't coach talk is ridiculous.  He did good at Missouri st. Where many have struggled.  He did fine at Tennessee.  He was killing it at cal and then was decimated by injuries right before the ncaa's started. 

That being said, I think they strike out on the names they're reaching out too.

Hawg Red

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on April 13, 2017, 08:21:48 pm
This cuonzo can't coach talk is ridiculous.  He did good at Missouri st. Where many have struggled.  He did fine at Tennessee.  He was killing it at cal and then was decimated by injuries right before the ncaa's started. 

He got a lucky draw in the NCAA tournament his last year at Tennessee. Before that, they were ready to dump him. He underacheived greatly with great talent at Cal, period.

Scott7703

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on April 13, 2017, 08:21:48 pm

He's never done well anywhere. He is the definitition of underachiever. He isn't a top 10 sec coach.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 13, 2017, 09:03:21 pm
He got a lucky draw in the NCAA tournament his last year at Tennessee. Before that, they were ready to dump him. He underacheived greatly with great talent at Cal, period.

Quote from: Scott7703 on April 13, 2017, 10:00:49 pm

He's never done well anywhere. He is the definitition of underachiever. He isn't a top 10 sec coach.

Well actually he overachieved at MSU.  At Tennessee even if he wouldn't have made the s16 he was still fine in my opinion.  They wanted them gone because he wasn't pearl.

At cal, sure, but his saltiest team was decimated by injuries right before the tourney.

Not claiming he's the best in the world, but who knows, he could surprise us.  Nowhere near Johnny jones bad in my opinion.

311Hog

The recruiting strategy of "hire the kids parent/friend/handler" only works so many times, and is a pretty tough way to be good consistently.