Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ITS OFFICIAL: Mitch Mustain Documentary being narrated by Nolan Richardson....

Started by Est. 1981, April 18, 2013, 09:53:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildhog

Quote from: Veritas Arkansas on April 18, 2013, 02:23:35 pm
All 10 of them seem to still post on hogville.

Yep.  Why can't this story just die?  Is Mitch Mustain relevant ANYWHERE?
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on April 18, 2013, 02:16:14 pm
Q: Do you think this Nutt/Mustain/Broyles/Malzahn "documentary" will portray the UA in a positive light?

If not, why would Nolan Richardson agree to be the narrator of such a thing?

From my previous post.....

Nolan's interest has nothing to do with the U. of A. In fact he was never mad at the U. of A. He had issues with Frank, John White and at least one BOT member. None of those people are decision makers at the U of A and these days he has no issues whatsoever with the athletic department, school administration or any BOT members.

As far his his interest in Mitch's situation that goes all the way back to 2006 when it had become obvious that Mitch had been benched by Nutt and would stay benched.

I ran into Nolan before the SEC championship game and he asked me what was going on with Mitch. I told him what I knew. He said to me (paraphrasing because it's been a while), I didn't think anything about the kid getting benched at first because I did that all the time with rookies. Sometimes they just need to sit a while and watch. But at some point you have to put them back in. If you don't you'll destroy whatever confidence they have left.

Nolan went on to say that when Mitch stayed on the bench he knew that it was not a football issue but something personal with Nutt toward Mustain.

Bottom line, he thinks the kid got screwed because of Nutt's massive ego.

younghog

GO HOGS

younghog

GO HOGS

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 18, 2013, 02:25:36 pm
From my previous post.....

Nolan's interest has nothing to do with the U. of A. In fact he was never mad at the U. of A. He had issues with Frank, John White and at least one BOT member. None of those people are decision makers at the U of A and these days he has no issues whatsoever with the athletic department, school administration or any BOT members.

As far his his interest in Mitch's situation that goes all the way back to 2006 when it had become obvious that Mitch had been benched by Nutt and would stay benched.

I ran into Nolan before the SEC championship game and he asked me what was going on with Mitch. I told him what I knew. He said to me (paraphrasing because it's been a while), I didn't think anything about the kid getting benched at first because I did that all the time with rookies. Sometimes they just need to sit a while and watch. But at some point you have to put them back in. If you don't you'll destroy whatever confidence they have left.

Nolan went on to say that when Mitch stayed on the bench he knew that it was not a football issue but something personal with Nutt toward Mustain.

Bottom line, he thinks the kid got screwed because of Nutt's massive ego.

Thanks. But you did not answer the question.

Q. Do you think this Nutt/Mustain/Broyles/Malzahn "documentary" will portray the UA in a positive light?

riccoar

I notice the people bashing Mitch and his family went silent after Irwin laid the facts out.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Wildhog on April 18, 2013, 02:24:53 pm
It doesn't have to affect you at all. Don't watch the documentry. Don't click on threads about it.

As to your question, some are interested because they still want to know what happened back then. How did things get so out of control?

Regardless of who is blame for this mess it will hopefully never happen again. Mulling those days over in my mind I am convinced more than ever that Arkansas currently has the right coaching staff in place. 

It's a good time to be Hog football fan.

Hogfly

I may be off base, but I imagine this film is going to be more of an art film character study (think Devil and Daniel Johnston) than a 30 for 30 sports documentary.

In that case, who the film is about and the current relevance of the subject doesn't really matter. The quality of the film is what matters. The story isn't being told because there's some burning curiosity or demand for information about the subject from the public, but because the filmmaker though it was an interesting story.

Oh well, I've gotten negged enough in this thread for expressing any sort of interest or knowledge of the film.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on April 18, 2013, 02:29:25 pm
Thanks. But you did not answer the question.

Q. Do you think this Nutt/Mustain/Broyles/Malzahn "documentary" will portray the UA in a positive light?

Yes I did answer your question. Nolan has no current issues with the U of A. He has no reason to bash the school.

He agreed to narrate it because he believes the kid was a very talented player who got screwed by his head coach.

Wildhog

Oh, I won't watch the documentary, as I'm very well aware of what happened (and stopped caring years ago.)

As far as clicking on threads, I just figured this would be a fun one.

1909/1964/1965/1977

riccoar

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 18, 2013, 02:33:37 pm

As to your question, some are interested because they still want to know what happened back then. How did things get so out of control?

As someone said earlier, people would like to here something other than the recycled UA/Nutt line on the situation.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Hogfly on April 18, 2013, 02:12:57 pm
Also, for those who care and to echo some of Mike Irwin's comments about Beck Campbell:

She's not involved in the documentary and declined to participate in any way, shape, or form (at least that's what I've been told).
That is true. She has made one public statement ever. She foolishly tried to explain the reason for the so called parents meeting (academics, not football). The national media tore her up mainly because they didn't believe her. At that point she decided to never again make a public comment about anything. The people that want to believe she's a controlling witch are not going to change their minds so what's the point?

If any of you had ever been in that position, to have thousands of people applying their own interpretation to who you are and what your motivations are, you'd understand her actions perfectly.

Unlike most on this board, she is not anonymous. She is not a fake name on the Internet. She is a real person with four kids who was put through the wringer by people with an agenda who did not care who they hurt.

MiHogsMi

Nice recap, Mike Irwin.  Laid it out there plain and simple.  Sadly, however many Hogville dummies won't accept the truth even when it's right in their face.
I don't view The University of Arkansas Football Program as Mr. CBB's personal Petri dish to experiment and tinker with for HIS pleasure and learning curve.

Wildhog

I just want to get past it.  We had to hear about this prima donna for how many years?  I mean, screw Nutt, too.  I just thought we were done with it.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Est. 1981

Quote from: Est. 1981 on April 18, 2013, 11:30:48 am
Very good it states when it will premier in my OP and in the article. +1 sir. Captain Obvious.

Sorry Hogfly just a rough day I didn't mean any harm by it. My apologies. I know you were just making a point about the score.
UofA Alumni 2007

weresoclose

Quote from: Wildhog on April 18, 2013, 02:58:54 pm
I just want to get past it.  We had to hear about this prima donna for how many years?  I mean, screw Nutt, too.  I just thought we were done with it.

Once a Hog always a Hog, unless you steal shizz on your way out or leave for bad reasons. MM did what for the Hogs?  Win 8 straight games, and then get run out of town, his mental aspect of the game never to return to him.  Where did he go?  Had a schollie still waiting on him with Pete Carroll who kicked the living &%$# out of Hootie Dale 2 years in a row... he didn't leave because he was caught stealing laptops and wind up at Southeast Missouri State.

Yet posters like Wildhog who have no clue what Hogville and a few people outside Hogville did for the betterment of Razorback Football to get us out of having Hootie and his 7-8 win mentality as our current and future Athletic Director just don't get it STILL!!!  And they sure don't understand that in the wake of it all some people got hurt/mistreated/forever-changed, some kids among them, and MM was one of those people.

MM is still a Hog in my mind and therefore I do care to know how he is doing these days.  Some people don't, yet they personally insult people they don't know a thing about calling them "prima donnas."  Hogville sure has changed from the good days...

Wildhog

Quote from: weresoclose on April 18, 2013, 03:30:53 pm
Once a Hog always a Hog, unless you steal shizz on your way out or leave for bad reasons. MM did what for the Hogs?  Win 8 straight games, and then get run out of town, his mental aspect of the game never to return to him.  Where did he go?  Had a schollie still waiting on him with Pete Carroll who kicked the living &%$# out of Hootie Dale 2 years in a row... he didn't leave because he was caught stealing laptops and wind up at Southeast Missouri State.

Yet posters like Wildhog who have no clue what Hogville and a few people outside Hogville did for the betterment of Razorback Football to get us out of having Hootie and his 7-8 win mentality as our current and future Athletic Director just don't get it STILL!!!  And they sure don't understand that in the wake of it all some people got hurt/mistreated/forever-changed, some kids among them, and MM was one of those people.

MM is still a Hog in my mind and therefore I do care to know how he is doing these days.  Some people don't, yet they personally insult people they don't know a thing about calling them "prima donnas."  Hogville sure has changed from the good days...

Cannot tell you how happy I am that you disagree with me.  :)  I am validated.
1909/1964/1965/1977

weresoclose

Quote from: Wildhog on April 18, 2013, 03:33:06 pm
Cannot tell you how happy I am that you disagree with me.  :)  I am validated.

Yep.  Your mentality is to not care about people.  I get it.  You make it clear with every post. 

Veritas Arkansas

Quote from: weresoclose on April 18, 2013, 03:30:53 pm

Hogville didn't do a darned thing to get rid of Hootie.  That's laughable. 
Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 02, 2017, 03:02:35 pm
I like to refer to myself as a bigot.  I have every right to be.

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 06, 2017, 01:23:52 pm
White Nationalists aren't any more evil than homosexuals.

Wildhog

Quote from: weresoclose on April 18, 2013, 03:38:43 pm
Yep.  Your mentality is to not care about people.  I get it.  You make it clear with every post. 

Wanna know something?  You're right.  I really do not give one sh*t about the VAST majority of you.
1909/1964/1965/1977

weresoclose

Quote from: Veritas Arkansas on April 18, 2013, 03:40:55 pm
Hogville didn't do a darned thing to get rid of Hootie.  That's laughable. 

So many people were informed of what was really going on, the 5% grew into a loud voice, and the tide of pressure eventually resulted in Nutt and his golden parachute being run out of state and now into obscurity.  Without the internet, this never happens.

Sivad

Quote from: Hogfly on April 18, 2013, 02:12:57 pm

Also, about Beck Campbell:

She's not involved in the documentary and declined to participate in any way, shape, or form.

Nolan should have done the same.

Wildhog

Quote from: Sivad on April 18, 2013, 03:48:52 pm
Nolan should have done the same.

If they actually chose Nolan Richardson over Morgan Freeman, they should quit making films.  I could listen to Freeman read the phone book.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Veritas Arkansas

Quote from: weresoclose on April 18, 2013, 03:44:09 pm
So many people were informed of what was really going on, the 5% grew into a loud voice, and the tide of pressure eventually resulted in Nutt and his golden parachute being run out of state and now into obscurity.  Without the internet, this never happens.

The tide of pressure had nothing to do with it.  You can think folks that filed FOIA requests, and other boards.

Hogville really didn't have as much to do with it as you think. 
Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 02, 2017, 03:02:35 pm
I like to refer to myself as a bigot.  I have every right to be.

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 06, 2017, 01:23:52 pm
White Nationalists aren't any more evil than homosexuals.

Wildhog

Quote from: Veritas Arkansas on April 18, 2013, 03:50:00 pm
The tide of pressure had nothing to do with it.  You can think folks that filed FOIA requests, and other boards.

Shhhh... he's got a Reaganite poster on his wall.
1909/1964/1965/1977

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Hogfly on April 18, 2013, 01:49:55 pm
The strong reactions to this make it clear that Wolfe chose a good topic to film, heh.

I'm surprised at the the venom, but maybe this subject has just been beat to death here at HV.

Very few people outside of message board Arkansas fans would ever consider this to be a compelling subject for a film.

It's really quite mundane.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Sivad

Quote from: Wildhog on April 18, 2013, 03:49:44 pm
If they actually chose Nolan Richardson over Morgan Freeman, they should quit making films. 
The great Morgan Freeman would have wanted to be paid;
Another chance to publicly bash the UA/Broyles....Nolan says "I'm all in"!

weresoclose

Quote from: Veritas Arkansas on April 18, 2013, 03:50:00 pm

Huh?  I could have sworn I saw 20,000+ people who never met each other from all over the state become members during that time and thousands more guests coming online to Hogville (or wherever, just not as many on other sites) and go: whaaaaat? No way!

Hogville is not the same place anymore.  But once upon a time it informed the heck out of me and dozens of people I know...  now it's just weird and a place to waste time.  Lots of people loving childish cartoons, nobody caring about a young man who got hosed by Hog Coaches.  Owell...

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: riccoar on April 18, 2013, 02:30:34 pm
I notice the people bashing Mitch and his family went silent after Irwin laid the facts out.

"facts"

Sivad

Here we are about to embark on a new season, with a great new coach, a needed new and clean beginning after last year's embarrasment....and some "filmakers" join hands with Nolan Richardson to regurgitate up this bundle of negative crap.
:puke:

SPAL

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on April 18, 2013, 04:00:21 pm
"facts"

Dispute em, then. Mike is right. Actually, I know firsthand that there is so much more mike could tell you but is holding because he either can't or doesn't see the point in sharing.

You and wild hog and others remind me of an eminem lyric..."nowadays everybody wanna  talk like they got something to say, but nothing comes out when they move their lips, just a bunch of gibberish. "

You guys bring nothing to the board. Why are you even here?

Hawg Balling

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on April 18, 2013, 03:53:29 pm
Very few people outside of message board Arkansas fans would ever consider this to be a compelling subject for a film.

I was thinking the same thing.

Breaking news: highly rated college football player fails to live up to expectations.

Let's stop acting like the Mustain/Malzahn/Springdale 5/Nutt fiasco is The Best That Never Was part deux. 

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 18, 2013, 02:36:44 pm
He agreed to narrate it because he believes the kid was a very talented player who got screwed by his head coach.

Is he going to address the USC-W coaches who apparently screwed him as well since they kept him on the bench too?

Est. 1981

Quote from: Wildhog on April 18, 2013, 03:49:44 pm
If they actually chose Nolan Richardson over Morgan Freeman, they should quit making films.  I could listen to Freeman read the phone book.

If you really believe this it really shows what a MORON you really are. Like Morgan Freeman would ever even consider narrating this film nor would the film maker even have a shot in hell to even get in contact with Freeman's people. So therefore the filmmaker never would have had the "opportunity" to choose between the two. WOW that is all I can say in response to your stupid @ss post!
UofA Alumni 2007

Wildhog

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on April 18, 2013, 04:13:32 pm
Dispute em, then. Mike is right. Actually, I know firsthand that there is so much more mike could tell you but is holding because he either can't or doesn't see the point in sharing.

You and wild hog and others remind me of an eminem lyric..."nowadays everybody wanna  talk like they got something to say, but nothing comes out when they move their lips, just a bunch of gibberish. "

I'm here to kick ass and chew bubble-gum.  And I'm all out of bubble-gum.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: Est. 1981 on April 18, 2013, 04:20:21 pm
If you really believe this it really shows what a MORON you really are. Like Morgan Freeman would ever even consider narrating this film nor would the film maker even have a shot in hell to even get in contact with Freeman's people. So therefore the filmmaker never would have had the "opportunity" to choose between the two. WOW that is all I can say in response to your stupid @ss post!

Quote from: Hogfly on April 18, 2013, 01:22:45 pm
I don't think that's the case at all, from what I know of the project. Matt Wolfe said that he and a friend were discussing narrators, and the friend said, "Would you rather have Nolan Richardson or Morgan Freeman narrate?" Matt realized that he'd choose Nolan hand's down, so then he began to try to make it happen. Bizarrely, Nolan agreed to do it (maybe to build up his voiceover resume?).

Now, this may have been sarcastic, but I thought this guy was working on the film, too?  Is he lying?  If so, then I'll retract my statement. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

hogsanity

Quote from: Wildhog on April 18, 2013, 02:24:53 pm

It can't die here, that was the story that built Hogville.  Go back in time and look at the explosive growth of registered posters.  If Hogville is still around 30 years from now, there will still be some that bring up HDN anytome some coach runs the ball alot, or does not play the hometown hero.

HDn left almost 7 years ago.  MM left after the 2006 season, yet anytime either are brought up, the thread gets to + pages everytime. The day CBB was hired, people started comparing him to HDN.  Most people, when you get to the heart of it, do not like coaches who have the philosophy of run the ball 1st.  IF in the 1st few games this year we have a game where the Hogs run the ball 40+ times, just watch for all the " Yep CBB is just another HDN " posts to come out.

As for the MM documentary, it might be a good watch.  Many documentaries like this one are pretty good.  Adding Nolan as narrator was a good move to help create a buzz. I don't think there is anything sinister to it.  Nolan has attended several events at the UA in the last few years.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

Est. 1981

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on April 18, 2013, 03:53:29 pm

I tend to disagree look at Friday Night Lights...And people who REALLY follow recruiting and college football would still know who Mitch Mustain is to this day just from his recruitment and HS career and what happened here.
UofA Alumni 2007

hobhog

Everone knows the egos involved on all sides, but I have a hard time believing it was the reason MM was benched. If I recall, he was benched by MALZAHN after the horrible INT at USCe. Gus took the responsibility, did he not?

Water under bridge, and I have zero interest in the film (unless it gets great acclaim), but I always felt Gus was fully on board with him getting benched. His TD to INT ratio was not great....

Wildhog

Quote from: Est. 1981 on April 18, 2013, 04:24:58 pm
I tend to disagree look at Friday Night Lights...And people who REALLY follow recruiting and college football would still know who Mitch Mustain is to this day just from his recruitment and HS career and what happened here.

Oh, people who really follow recruiting care?
1909/1964/1965/1977

Est. 1981

Quote from: Wildhog on April 18, 2013, 04:22:21 pm
Now, this may have been sarcastic, but I thought this guy was working on the film, too?  Is he lying?  If so, then I'll retract my statement.

First off no that Hogfly isnt working on the  film and the question was more of a hypothetical question. Cmon have some common sense.
UofA Alumni 2007

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on April 18, 2013, 04:13:32 pm

Mike has stuck to his guns from the beginning and makes no bones about his allegiances. He states as "fact" that Mitch got screwed. How do you figure?

Did Houston Nutt move into Mitch's dorm room at USC?

If Mitch is a victim at all then he is a victim of his own poor judgment, but the fact is that he just wasn't as talented as he was advertised.

Wildhog

Quote from: Est. 1981 on April 18, 2013, 04:27:47 pm
First off no that Hogfly isnt working on the  film and the question was more of a hypothetical question. Cmon have some common sense.

Sh*t, dude.  I don't read minds.  I thought he was representing your film.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: The Marmot on April 18, 2013, 02:22:09 pm
This should garner a ton of attention and dollars from the tens of dozens of people who still care about this story.

I'm guessing a Robert Shields book would outsell it.

SPAL

Quote from: Wildhog on April 18, 2013, 04:20:25 pm
I'm here to kick ass and chew bubble-gum.  And I'm all out of bubble-gum.

So for nothing more than an overused roddy piper quote. Got it...I know you have no purpose.

Hogfly

First off: I'm not affiliated with the film in any way, other than I loosely know Matt Wolfe and think he's a talented filmmaker ("Left/Right" had a lot of critical acclaim). I also like the idea of people in Arkansas actually making films and support that, in general.

Secondly, the Nolan vs. Morgan Freeman was out of a quote from the Fayetteville Flyer:

http://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/2013/04/17/mitch-mustain-documentary-to-debut-at-2013-little-rock-film-festival/
Wolfe said he was thrilled to work with Richardson on the project. "Dan (the Automator) asked me, 'If you could get Morgan Freeman or Nolan Richardson to narrate, who would you have chosen?'" Wolfe said. "It would take me about four seconds to choose Nolan. Getting him involved was a huge deal to me."

It was a hypothetical situation. Morgan Freeman was not actually asked to voice the thing.

Thirdly, I haven't really brought any attitude to this thread, but I'm sure getting a lot of jerkish behavior from the folks here. Not sure what that's all about. All I've tried to do was provide information that others might not have, as that's kind of been the reason I, personally, visit message boards (to get information).

Wildhog

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on April 18, 2013, 04:29:56 pm
So for nothing more than an overused roddy piper quote. Got it...I know you have no purpose.

I have brought more to this board in my time than you ever have/will.  Hell, I kept the recruiting board going for a while.  Make sure you keep your lips placed firmly around the shafts of the mods on this board.  I'll continue to bring solid posts.

But congrats, I'm now aware that you exist.
1909/1964/1965/1977

SPAL

Quote from: Wildhog on April 18, 2013, 04:31:46 pm
I have brought more to this board in my time than you ever have/will.  Hell, I kept the recruiting board going for a while.  Make sure you keep your lips placed firmly around the shafts of the mods on this board.  I'll continue to bring solid posts.

But congrats, I'm now aware of you.

Well alright...a self proclaimed message board hero.

So as it stands you are.....

Good for an overused roddy piper quote
Self proclaimed hero who kept this board going with said overused quotes and posts that "bring it."

God, you shoulda quit when you were just a moron.

56Hog

Quote from: razorcash2 on April 18, 2013, 12:46:45 pm
Can't wait to see what is said about Nutt's involvement.

That's the 2nd film in the trilogy:

Crop Circles of Trust:  The Houston Nutt Story

Narrated by Donna Bragg

"This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." - Winston Churchill