Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Under the Radar Florida Recruits - LB

Started by Wildhog, July 11, 2014, 08:52:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildhog

This is one thing that CBB and staff are doing that I absolutely love.  They've been finding hidden gems down in S. Florida.  Guys that have never seen a weight room in their life, but are still producing at the highest level of competition in High School football.  I'll take a raw Florida prospect over a Texas prospect that's been in the weight room since the third grade.  They just have a higher ceiling, and there's less competition than for a Texas kid.

I actually wish we'd spend MUCH MORE time in Florida, as I think it's going to pay big dividends in the near future.

With our huge need, here are a few of the lower rated LINEBACKERS from Florida that may be of interest to us. 

Jordan Griffin

James King

Tyler Horstman

Anthony Fiory

Emilio Gibbs

Doyle Grimes

Tavon Cox

Eric Gallon

Bruce Davis

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

BrassNunchucks

Some pretty good players. Griffin looks really good.

Wildhog

It's why I wanted CBB to hire assistants with S Florida connections. 

Like Bert said, once you get south of Orlando, those kids are more willing to leave home. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: BrassNunchucks on July 11, 2014, 09:09:54 am
Some pretty good players. Griffin looks really good.

I believe Robb Smith has connections in that part of the state.  Kid needs to have an Arkansas offer.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Kenny Hawgins

You know, it's definitely a balancing act and this is why guys sometimes fly under-the-radar. 

A lot of Texas schools emphasize powerlifting, which can certainly be a good thing.  On the other hand, if one is training for football, there are other issues that must be taken into consideration.  Mobility, flexibility, explosion, and risk of injury are all issues that could arise within a program that is short-sighted to the fact that strength training is only one tool in the coach's toolbox to develop athletes. 

I have a buddy that was a strength coach at a rival SEC school at one point; one of the things that he noted is that they were seeing more and more guys that had muscular imbalances. 
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

Wildhog

Quote from: Kenny Hawgins on July 11, 2014, 09:21:39 am
You know, it's definitely a balancing act and this is why guys sometimes fly under-the-radar. 

A lot of Texas schools emphasize powerlifting, which can certainly be a good thing.  On the other hand, if one is training for football, there are other issues that must be taken into consideration.  Mobility, flexibility, explosion, and risk of injury are all issues that could arise within a program that is short-sighted to the fact that strength training is only one tool in the coach's toolbox to develop athletes. 

I have a buddy that was a strength coach at a rival SEC school at one point; one of the things that he noted is that they were seeing more and more guys that had muscular imbalances. 

This is why I like the raw florida talent.  You get 'em while they're still a blank slate.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on July 11, 2014, 09:22:47 am
This is why I like the raw florida talent.  You get 'em while they're still a blank slate.

Yeah, they more than likely won't contribute right away, but some of these raw natural athletes will develop into game changers.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on July 11, 2014, 09:32:33 am
Yeah, they more than likely won't contribute right away, but some of these raw natural athletes will develop into game changers.

And you never know-  these kids are competing against the very best talent in high school.  You may get more early production out of them than you'd expect. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on July 11, 2014, 09:34:20 am
And you never know-  these kids are competing against the very best talent in high school.  You may get more early production out of them than you'd expect. 

True, but I figure the non-stop guys need a year to develop their body, or you hope they get it. Kind of like Coley, I'm interested to see how he does this year, maybe Marks, too.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on July 11, 2014, 09:37:00 am
True, but I figure the non-stop guys need a year to develop their body, or you hope they get it. Kind of like Coley, I'm interested to see how he does this year, maybe Marks, too.

Coley is kind of the quintessential prospect that we're talking about in this thread.  He was barely recruited, save for a few small schools.  If he can be a difference maker, it would bode very well for us and recruiting in S Florida.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Steef

Good thread, WH.

Agree about the Griffin kid. Look at his offer list!  A lot of really good schools. Harvard!? This is a smart kid.

hawgsmellgud

Great thread, completely agree with the S. Florida need. I have the exact same thoughts about Florida and Texas players.
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

Poker_hog

It's the same analogy with LR/pine bluff kids vs northeast ar kids. 
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Wildhog

Quote from: Poker_hog on July 11, 2014, 10:09:01 am
It's the same analogy with LR/pine bluff kids vs northeast ar kids. 

Northeast?  or West?
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hoggish1

Beating the bushes is what it's all about.

Poker_hog

Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Wildhog

Quote from: Poker_hog on July 11, 2014, 10:22:40 am
Brain fart.  Meant northwest.

Yeah, that's a similar analogy, on a much smaller scale.  The number of D1 prospects that come out of Miami ALONE is unreal.  There's just a vast wealth of talent down there.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Kenny Hawgins

On the other hand, it can be a bit of a crapshoot in trying to project these kids also.  It's hard enough but trying to guess how these kids will perform with an added 30-40 lbs can be difficult.  You'd certainly have to consider a lot of variables.

It's been a while since I've read it but the book Meat Market, about Ed O's recruiting @ Ole Miss, was very interesting.  It seems like for some guys, he'd look at their flexibility by having them squat and watching if they can keep their heels on the ground.  If you can find an underdeveloped guy with good instincts, it could certainly give you the chance to develop them properly.  Heck, Miami made a killing off undersized guys and bulking them up.

Wildhog

Quote from: Kenny Hawgins on July 11, 2014, 11:10:05 am
On the other hand, it can be a bit of a crapshoot in trying to project these kids also.  It's hard enough but trying to guess how these kids will perform with an added 30-40 lbs can be difficult.  You'd certainly have to consider a lot of variables.

It's been a while since I've read it but the book Meat Market, about Ed O's recruiting @ Ole Miss, was very interesting.  It seems like for some guys, he'd look at their flexibility by having them squat and watching if they can keep their heels on the ground.  If you can find an underdeveloped guy with good instincts, it could certainly give you the chance to develop them properly.  Heck, Miami made a killing off undersized guys and bulking them up.

Solid post
1909/1964/1965/1977

three hog night

Quote from: Wildhog on July 11, 2014, 09:38:57 am
Coley is kind of the quintessential prospect that we're talking about in this thread.  He was barely recruited, save for a few small schools.  If he can be a difference maker, it would bode very well for us and recruiting in S Florida.

Coley is a perfect example as you state, but I will also add that he is from a football factory HS.   We have to take some chances on kids in S FL to get in some of the top HS, so we have a relationship and reference to use in recruiting.  Coley is going to be a major asset for us on the field and in recruiting.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

ARtillahog

Absolutley spot on with your OP.  I think this staff needs a decent foundation so they can mold these players how they see fit.  You might start seeing more of this in the future once they start winning more or it might happen earlier due to what's left. 

Great thread and great insight to a possible niche that could take the program to where it needs to be.

tophawg19

those kids have weights too. and gyms on every block.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Wildhog

I'm going to post more under-the-radar Florida prospects later.  There are SO many of them. 

1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: tophawg19 on July 11, 2014, 01:57:25 pm

They haven't been in college-level weight programs for years like the Texas kids have.  There's just a lot more raw potential.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ARtillahog

Weight lifting is not as stressed as it may be in Tx.  The coaches have said this several times.  Ex:  Anthony Brown and Randy Ramsey.  The weight programs aren't anything special.

Wildhog

I remember when Petrino wanted to recruit florida harder.  I was all for it.  We went into the panhandle and north central florida, and largely had no luck.

It got to the point that I thought we were wasting resources there. 

Then when Bielema got here, he said that once you get below Orlando, kids are much more willing to leave home.  It had never even occurred to me.  So I did some research, and he was proven to be right. 

When you recruit the panhandle, the prospects have a great many more options within driving distance.  They get more comfortable with these schools before Arkansas ever has a chance to get them to campus.

When recruiting South Florida, the fact that there's no SEC school around all that talent makes it a perfect situation for us.  They're a plane-flight away from ANY SEC school, unless you're making a long drive.  This helps to level the playing field for Arkansas, and gives us a chance at some really talented, although raw, prospects.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Kenny Hawgins

There's a big difference in some cases.  Furthermore, I'd add that simply having weights available doesn't help you grow via proximity; you have to actually know what you're doing and be consistent.  There's a big difference between what most people think is a good program and a well-designed, appropriate training program.  Also, consider that many of these kids don't have great nutrition available, play multiple sports, etc. 

ricepig

Quote from: Kenny Hawgins on July 11, 2014, 02:22:44 pm
There's a big difference in some cases.  Furthermore, I'd add that simply having weights available doesn't help you grow via proximity; you have to actually know what you're doing and be consistent.  There's a big difference between what most people think is a good program and a well-designed, appropriate training program.  Also, consider that many of these kids don't have great nutrition available, play multiple sports, etc. 

I've been surprised at a number of mentions of nutrition and eating, that's a big proponent of weight and weight training. I know one of my son's friends on the team said the staff had 3 different shakes he would have to come by and drink.

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: ricepig on July 11, 2014, 02:28:22 pm
I've been surprised at a number of mentions of nutrition and eating, that's a big proponent of weight and weight training. I know one of my son's friends on the team said the staff had 3 different shakes he would have to come by and drink.
I can't overstate the importance of adequate, appropriate nutrition for performance.  Elite performance relies on the fine tuning of so many variables being 'dialed in': training, nutrition, no injuries, positive mental state, genetics, etc.  You have to control the things that you can and pray nothing else happens.

Simply telling players to 'eat right' or giving them a list of foods doesn't typically do it; you have to train them.  There's so much misinformation about nutrition, supplements, etc. 

prattville pig

This is a good thread, we need to offer Griffin, and we need to live in south Florida.
Life's too short to last long.