Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Galen Scott for DC?

Started by robmc1883, December 19, 2017, 05:16:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

robmc1883

Current LB coach at VT.  He was the DC at Memphis in 2015 when CCM was starting at SMU and shut him out.  Moved to VT so has been under Foster for a couple years.  Thoughts?

Tarheelhawg

Hawginj

robmc1883

Looks like he was at Tulsa with CCM in 2010 as well.

hogblitz

Yeah.  Real good hire based on how good Memphis's Defense was under him.  Tulsa's defense was garbage too.  Where do you guys come up with this stuff? 

Hawginj

Quote from: hogblitz on December 19, 2017, 06:07:11 pm
Yeah.  Real good hire based on how good Memphis's Defense was under him.  Tulsa's defense was garbage too.  Where do you guys come up with this stuff?
at Memphis he took down a ranked Ole Miss. So theres that.

redeye

I'm intrigued.  Every where he's been has seen improvement and he's done it with high-scoring offenses.  I also think we might be better off with a young up-and-comer, than a big name DC with mediocre results in recent years.  With the exception of Venables, and a couple of other unlikely candidates, I'd rather take a chance with someone like Scott.

Dr. Starcs

Certainly not the best dc in the country. CCM has set the bar for himself. He needs a proven legitimate dc that'll excite people. Jmo

Hawginj

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 19, 2017, 06:36:43 pm
Certainly not the best dc in the country. CCM has set the bar for himself. He needs a proven legitimate dc that'll excite people. Jmo
well that term took on a different meaning after his radio interview with Bo yesterday. For instance we have the best WR coach in the country right now according to CM and to quote him if they are not the "best" they won't be here long.

Styflin

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 19, 2017, 06:36:43 pm

Still hanging on to that quote?

BroyledNutts

Quote from: Hawginj on December 19, 2017, 06:39:22 pm
well that term took on a different meaning after his radio interview with Bo yesterday. For instance we have the best WR coach in the country right now according to CM and to quote him if they are not the "best" they won't be here long.

The inference here being that whomever he hires will be "the best", simply because he [Morris] hired him? Am I reading into his quote correctly?

PorkSoda

Quote from: BroyledNutts on December 19, 2017, 07:06:15 pm
The inference here being that whomever he hires will be "the best", simply because he [Morris] hired him? Am I reading into his quote correctly?
sort of.  "the best" is subjective.  he wants every part of the program to be the best, so to do that he has to get the best out of his assistants and players.  its more of a mind set thing than bravado, I think.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 19, 2017, 07:18:48 pm
sort of.  "the best" is subjective.  he wants every part of the program to be the best, so to do that he has to get the best out of his assistants and players.  its more of a mind set thing than bravado, I think.

Makes sense ... 

Hawginj

Quote from: BroyledNutts on December 19, 2017, 07:06:15 pm
Not exactly he stated that if a staff member isnt the best they can be in every thing they do then he wouldn't hesitate to replace them is what I took out of it.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: Hawginj on December 19, 2017, 07:46:15 pm
Not exactly he stated that if a staff member isnt the best they can be in every thing they do then he wouldn't hesitate to replace them is what I took out of it.

That makes sense too ...

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: Styflin on December 19, 2017, 07:02:36 pm

How dare we take a coach for his exact words. We will find out a lot about CCM with who he brings in.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 19, 2017, 08:11:16 pm
How dare we take a coach for his exact words. We will find out a lot about CCM with who he brings in.
words can change meanings depending on context.

but yes, we will find out a lot about what kind of clout morris brings when he assembles his defensive staff.

he has a lot prove. 
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Pudgepork

He is learning from a top 5 DC at VTECH.  I like the attacking d that they run.  I didn't like it much after they made adjustments at halftime in last seasons bowl game. The turnaround in intensity was impressive

robmc1883

Quote from: hogblitz on December 19, 2017, 06:07:11 pm
I'm not saying it is him or I would think he is the "best"in the country.  I'm only bringing his name up based on CCM's comments thus far.  He said he has a list of coaches that he has coached against and this is one of the few that isn't a head coach that has succes against his offense.  The others are Charles Kelly at FSU, who I would think we would have already hired, Dave Huxtable at NC State and Roof, who has been discussed in his thread.  Of those four Scott would be my pick for sure.

hogblitz

Quote from: Styflin on December 19, 2017, 07:02:36 pm
I think that some hang onto that quote due to feeling underwhelmed about the hiring of of CCM.  I think a top notch DC hire would provide more hope about the potential success of CCM to these particular fans.  I may be wrong but that is what it seems like. 

PorkSoda

Quote from: hogblitz on December 19, 2017, 08:35:55 pm
I think that some hang onto that quote due to feeling underwhelmed about the hiring of of CCM.  I think a top notch DC hire would provide more hope about the potential success of CCM to these particular fans.  I may be wrong but that is what it seems like. 
it would certainly help.  hiring a relative no name would just reinforce that we settled for morris and settled for an unknown DC, and will settle for a mediocre recruiting class and will settle for another losing season next year.

its going to take much more than an average coach to compete in the SEC.

root_hawg

Greatest DC out there?  Nope

onebadrubi

Quote from: robmc1883 on December 19, 2017, 05:16:21 pm
Current LB coach at VT.  He was the DC at Memphis in 2015 when CCM was starting at SMU and shut him out.  Moved to VT so has been under Foster for a couple years.  Thoughts?

Honest question, where did you get this from?  You didn't just pull this name out of thin air

redeye

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 19, 2017, 08:11:16 pm

Yea, because we do that all the time with coaches, right?

robmc1883

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 19, 2017, 09:52:03 pm
Honest question, where did you get this from?  You didn't just pull this name out of thin air

Honestly just research based on CCM comments.  He has said he had a list of names of guys he has coached against and Scott is one guy who had succes as a DC against CCM.

onebadrubi

Quote from: robmc1883 on December 19, 2017, 10:10:54 pm
Honestly just research based on CCM comments.  He has said he had a list of names of guys he has coached against and Scott is one guy who had succes as a DC against CCM.

Nice.  You might have something.  I don't know.

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: redeye on December 19, 2017, 09:56:23 pm
Yea, because we do that all the time with coaches, right?

I would expect that a coach talking to his players particularly for the first time would.

redeye

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 19, 2017, 10:16:39 pm
I would expect that a coach talking to his players particularly for the first time would.

God forbid that he ever uses a foam finger, to signify that Arkansas is #1.

But you're right... he should have told the players that he'd hire a so-so DC, because we wouldn't them excited.

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: redeye on December 19, 2017, 10:25:43 pm
God forbid that he ever uses a foam finger, to signify that Arkansas is #1.

But you're right... he should have told the players that he'd hire a so-so DC, because we wouldn't them excited.

So you think those defensive guys are going to totally buy in if he brings in some lackluster dc? Much less the fans.

His success could hinge on who he brings in.

redeye

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 19, 2017, 10:30:00 pm
So you think those defensive guys are going to totally buy in if he brings in some lackluster dc? Much less the fans.

Yea, I agree and I'm sure he'll find the best possible DC.  I just don't understand why some of our fans are so anal about what he said?  Coaches always say their team is the best to their fans and players, so that's nothing unusual.  Some of us took it literally and that seems rather naive, don't you think?

One of CCM's biggest challenges is to rebuild our fan base and get them believing in the team again.  Team spirit is infectious and it'll carry over to the players.  You might argue this is a chicken/egg thing, and you might call me naive, but I fully believe that confidence comes before winning.

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: redeye on December 19, 2017, 10:40:27 pm
Yea, I agree and I'm sure he'll find the best possible DC.  I just don't understand why some of our fans are so anal about what he said?  Coaches always say their team is the best to their fans and players, so that's nothing unusual.  Some of us took it literally and that seems rather naive, don't you think?

One of CCM's biggest challenges is to rebuild our fan base and get them believing in the team again.  Team spirit is infectious and it'll carry over to the players.  You might argue this is a chicken/egg thing, and you might call me naive, but I fully believe that confidence comes before winning.

I do agree with that. That's also why I think it's so important that he get a dc that will excite not just the players but the fan base.

Pig in the Pokey

yes. hire him at LB coach and learn from him. As for a DC, what part of "We are going to have the best Defensive coordinator in college football right here" do ya not understand?   ;)
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pudgepork

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 19, 2017, 11:00:02 pm
yes. hire him at LB coach and learn from him. As for a DC, what part of "We are going to have the best Defensive coordinator in college football right here" do ya not understand?   ;)

The way that is worded,  we are going to have, is not saying the Hire is the current best DC.
Its more of a statement that he will be best DC while at arkansas. 

Youngsta71701

Might be a good idea... Hmmm...
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

LZH

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 19, 2017, 10:30:00 pm

His success absolutely hinges on who he brings in.

HoggyCat

Quote from: Hawginj on December 19, 2017, 06:39:22 pm

Used car salesman.  He'll say what's necessary at any given time.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.