Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ted Roof new DC?

Started by navyhog24, December 18, 2017, 06:18:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

navyhog24

Sooie71923

He's like 50 years old!  Might as well get Mickey Andrews.

jackflash

I don't know anything about him

emdavenp

This is turning into another HC search. I remember when Clemson lost this year, some threads were about us looking at Dino Babers.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: navyhog24 on December 18, 2017, 06:18:54 pm
Thoughts?

Probably not a good move.

Quote from: jackflash on December 18, 2017, 06:24:30 pm
I don't know anything about him

http://www.myajc.com/blog/jeff-schultz/ted-roof-might-next-tech-defensive-coordinator-fall/WLH6Tyls0rALfuVm1tOZsI/

As Paul Johnson left the field at halftime Saturday, with a last-minute Georgia field goal drive still fresh in his mind, he stopped for a radio interview with the school's broadcast partner.

"I tried to run the clock all the way down. I guess 40 seconds was too long," he told Wiley Ballard of the Georgia Tech IMG Sports Network.

Take that as a subtle shot at defensive coordinator Ted Roof.

Or maybe not so subtle.

It's easy to understand Johnson's frustration. Even if one field goal obviously was not the difference in a 38-7 loss to Georgia Saturday at Bobby Dodd Stadium, the Jackets had scored a touchdown with 48 seconds remaining in the half to cut Georgia's lead to 14-7 and Johnson had his offense bleed as much time off the clock as possible.

But the Bulldogs' offense got the ball back with 42 seconds remaining after a kickoff return to the Georgia 30 and drove 50 yards in only four plays, including a 23-yard pass from Jake Fromm to Javon Wims. Fromm then spiked the ball to stop the clock to set up a 37-yard field goal.

Georgia scored three touchdowns in the second half -- and that might have ended Roof's tenure at Tech. He is in his fifth season under Johnson and the Jackets did not make progress, despite a starting defense with six seniors and five juniors.

The level of talent on Tech's defensive side of the ball can always be questioned. But there's no excuse for poor tackling and a consistently anemic pass rush.
Go Hogs Go!

MasterChiefHog

GT has the #32 def in the country.
Quote from: oldman1015 on December 28, 2017, 11:40:00 am
Having a bad day or always a dick?
Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on December 06, 2019, 09:39:55 am
Sorry fo any misspells or paragraph s. I m on a scaffold.
Quote from: Hogwild on October 18, 2018, 08:23:47 amSince we are being optimistic, let's go full tilt boogie! If we win out, Ole Miss wins out, and Bama loses out. Then all we need is Miss. State to win against LSU & Texas A&M, and then have the Aggies upset LSU. 
And then we are hanging an SEC WEST Champion banner.

redeye

Quote from: Sooie71923 on December 18, 2017, 06:23:40 pm

You say that like it's ancient. but 50 isn't very old.  Mickey Andrews is 75, so he's old enough to be Roof's father.  Andrews was 50 in 1992, during his prime.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: MasterChiefHog on December 18, 2017, 06:51:25 pm

They also have the #61 Pass Efficiency Defense and the #64 Scoring Defense and are dead last in RZ Defense (#129) in the country. Best DC in the country, even for our incoming offensive scheme? That would be difficult to rationalize.
Go Hogs Go!

hoggusamoungus

Our HC is 49.  Should have hired Bobby Bowden.

hogfooey

December 18, 2017, 06:59:37 pm #9 Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 12:10:19 pm by hogfooey
Dang man, Chad Morris must have only one good year in him, he's 49.  SMH
If the Hogs are wrong!  I don't want to be right!

Cale

Let's bring in Reggie Herring....
Quote from: jst01 on January 06, 2018, 06:00:42 pm<br />Maybe we are a baseball school <br />

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

GoldCoastHog

Proof positive that minors definitely know their way around the internet and realize message boards do , in fact, exist.

Laughing Hog

"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

HoopS

which brings me to my next point. Say NO to crack!

Hoggish1

MavND1973

Boardon Hamsay

I'm guessing in your world 20 is the new 80.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

sickboy

"Don't Put It Out With Your Boots" Ted Roof is a fine DC.

Inhogswetrust

Not sure if he would be a good DC or not for us. I do know some of you dogging him because of his age need to read this from the baseball forum by a guy that attended the ABCA convention and what he heard from one of it's speakers years ago. It can easily be applied to all parts of life and not just baseball. With age comes wisdom. People can be educated at an early age. They cannot become wise until they have actually lived a little more life. Thanks to Teufelhog for posting it.

http://www.sperrybaseballlife.com/stay-at-17-inches/

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

oldfart

masbas3

And what's your point?  Chad Morris is 49 years old.

hogcards

"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

Jim Harris

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 18, 2017, 06:47:37 pm
"The level of talent on Tech's defensive side of the ball can always be questioned. But there's no excuse for poor tackling and a consistently anemic pass rush."[/i][/b]

This may be the dumbest paragraph ever written in the AJC: "The level of talent on Tech's defensive side of the ball can always be questioned. But there's no excuse for poor tackling and a consistently anemic pass rush." Yes, the excuse is what you (the blogger/sportswriter) just wrote: the level of talent.

Less talented players aren't going to regularly and successfully tackle better players the majority of the time (now, if someone was actually witnessing poor fundamental tackling, I'll grant that that falls on the coaching, or how much tackling they're doing in practice, which these days is NOT MUCH throughout all of college football once the season begins). But most assuredly, an anemic pass run is 99 percent the talent. If you're not fast enough and/or strong enough to beat your blocker, especially on the ends, you can't point fingers at the DC for what he's asking his defense to do. If you didn't question the talent, then I'd say, "Hell yeah, the DC is an idiot not coming up with a better pass rush. Otherwise you're just running your players out of position if you try to put on a hard pass rush with players who simply don't have the ability to get there. I would also imagine at GT, the overall plan is to dominate TOP and keep its obviously less-talented defense off the field. But that's the deal: they are obviously less talented.

That said: NO WAY ON TED ROOF.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Youngsta71701

"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: MasterChiefHog on December 18, 2017, 06:51:25 pm
Probably because the offense holds the ball the whole game.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Pigsknuckles

Ran my eighth marathon at 50:  3hrs 47 minutes.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

MasterChiefHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 18, 2017, 06:58:34 pm
They also have the #61 Pass Efficiency Defense and the #64 Scoring Defense and are dead last in RZ Defense (#129) in the country. Best DC in the country, even for our incoming offensive scheme? That would be difficult to rationalize.
We're saying the same thing. I wouldn't mind a cocky young gun as DC that has a proven background, even with this years stats. I know offense will click in a year or two but I want a nasty defense to go with it. I watched film of Washington's defense and wow, they just mess stuff up!
Quote from: oldman1015 on December 28, 2017, 11:40:00 am
Having a bad day or always a dick?
Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on December 06, 2019, 09:39:55 am
Sorry fo any misspells or paragraph s. I m on a scaffold.
Quote from: Hogwild on October 18, 2018, 08:23:47 amSince we are being optimistic, let's go full tilt boogie! If we win out, Ole Miss wins out, and Bama loses out. Then all we need is Miss. State to win against LSU & Texas A&M, and then have the Aggies upset LSU. 
And then we are hanging an SEC WEST Champion banner.

HamGrowsOnTrees

Many psychiatrists say that the ability to recognize sarcasm is directly related to intelligence. The 50 years old comment really flew past you All.

qbrew

People would constantly be asking for him to get a raise. 

LZH

Quote from: HamGrowsOnTrees on December 19, 2017, 03:08:46 pm
Many psychiatrists say that the ability to recognize sarcasm is directly related to intelligence. The 50 years old comment really flew past you All.

Hey, I'm 50...does that make me intelligent or sarcastic?

RME

Quote from: sickboy on December 18, 2017, 08:57:57 pm
"Don't Put It Out With Your Boots" Ted Roof is a fine DC.

Don't tell him his business, devil-woman