Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mr. Offense

Started by Pudgepork, December 18, 2017, 01:36:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pudgepork

Funny how things turn out.   Some thought hiring Morris might be bad because of hiM being a aTm grad.  Is that why Texas didn't hire him?

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Does-Chad-Morris-have-what-it-takes-8331

cjack

I think Morris is going to work out fine for us, but I would be willing to bet he would seriously consider the next big texas job.  I am sure he would jump ship to A&M whenever they fire Jimbo.

That was the biggest reason I wanted Norvell.  They seem like the same coach to me, with a few exceptions.  Morris is a Texas high school guru where Norvell was just from Texas.  On the other hand, Norvell is 13 years younger and considered Arkansas a destination job.  With Norvell, I think there was a chance to catch him before he wins a championship somewhere else in 10 years.  With Morris, we've got a chance to be a top 25 team again every year he's here.
Woooo Pig Soooie!

The Hawg Marshal

Count me as one of those concerned about CCM leaving for aTm  if he had success here. Those concerns were allayed some what when aTm signed Jimbo to the jumbo contract. Now barring unforeseen circumstances we probably have CCM for at least 5 years. So far I'm good with that.

redeye

Worrying about where a coach graduated is destructive paranoia.  You'd probably struggle to find 5 FBS head coaches who graduated from the school where they coach.

PorkSoda

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on December 18, 2017, 02:18:19 pm
Count me as one of those concerned about CCM leaving for aTm  if he had success here.
you better hope he sucks then, so we can keep him for a long time.  /sarcasm
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Pudgepork

CCM had nothing to do with football at aTm.  If he's an ex jock I worry bout it but he's not

jgphillips3

With a Texan born and bred as coach, we should probably worry about Austin or College Station if they come calling, but hopefully that would be years down the road and he may not want to leave what he has built...assuming that he does win in the first place.  Just getting back to winning seems far enough off right now that worrying about him leaving for another job is far from my mind.

PorkSoda

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 18, 2017, 02:44:33 pm
With a Texan born and bred as coach, we should probably worry about Austin or College Station if they come calling, but hopefully that would be years down the road and he may not want to leave what he has built...assuming that he does win in the first place.  Just getting back to winning seems far enough off right now that worrying about him leaving for another job is far from my mind.
I agree, lets worry about winning first.  we already had an AD that was more worried about keeping the HC than winning.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: Pudgepork on December 18, 2017, 01:36:02 pm
Funny how things turn out.   Some thought hiring Morris might be bad because of hiM being a aTm grad.  Is that why Texas didn't hire him?

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Does-Chad-Morris-have-what-it-takes-8331

Texas didn't hire him because they are Texas.  Couldn't be hiring someone just one year removed from high school.

As it played out at Clemson, Mack Brown probably could have saved his job at Texas if he had hired the one-year-wonder.

As for Morris and Arkansas, he won't be here through the end of the current contract.  He will revive Arkansas football and get hired by another university or he will fail to win and get fired.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on December 18, 2017, 02:54:17 pm
Texas didn't hire him because they are Texas.  Couldn't be hiring someone just one year removed from high school.

As it played out at Clemson, Mack Brown probably could have saved his job at Texas if he had hired the one-year-wonder.

As for Morris and Arkansas, he won't be here through the end of the current contract.  He will revive Arkansas football and get hired by another university or he will fail to win and get fired.

Once again, there is a broad assumption that most P5 jobs, including Arkansas, are simply stepping stones to something bigger. That's rarely the case.  SEC programs have hired something like 5 P5 coaches in the past 10 years to fill about 40 vacancies.  If you're winning at a P5 program, life is REALLY good.  Arkansas just offered GM $7mil a year-- that would make it hard to leave here. 

DiamondHogFan

If Texas or A&M come wanting CCM, then that means he has done a superb job as our head coach. 

I'm sure Clemson fans are dreading the day that Bama comes calling for Dabo.  It happens.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 18, 2017, 02:51:23 pm
I agree, lets worry about winning first.  we already had an AD that was more worried about keeping the HC than winning.

Somebody frame this..! Soda's making sense.!!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

HoggusMaximus

didn't jimbo sign a 10 year 70 million dollar deal with a&m? if they fire jimbo it's gonna coat them.

Paul Swinebaum

Quote from: redeye on December 18, 2017, 02:26:10 pm
Worrying about where a coach graduated is destructive paranoia.  You'd probably struggle to find 5 FBS head coaches who graduated from the school where they coach.

Jim Harbaugh, Mark Richt, Kirby Smart, Scott Frost, and Matt Luke popped in my mind before I used the googler.
It wasn't a Tylenol moment for me.   ;D

Worrying that a coach may go "home to Mama" is definitely a waste of energy.

ChitownHawg

CBB had barely walked through the door and worry warts were saying the same thing. Oh he is an Iowa alum and he has a hawk tattoo.

Like giving a kid an ice cream cone on a hot Sunday and he whines about the ice cream may get on his fingers.

Enjoy the ice cream guys while it is here.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

apcapri

I know he attended college at aTm but why does everyone think he'd jump at the chance to coach there? Does even have any ties to the football program?

Hog Fan...DOH!

I think John Pelphrey leaves for Kentucky.

redeye

Quote from: Paul Swinebaum on December 18, 2017, 04:09:13 pm
Jim Harbaugh, Mark Richt, Kirby Smart, Scott Frost, and Matt Luke popped in my mind before I used the googler.
It wasn't a Tylenol moment for me.   ;D

Worrying that a coach may go "home to Mama" is definitely a waste of energy.

You got me!

Maybe we can get Gus to come home?    ;)

Yamahog

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on December 18, 2017, 05:12:07 pm
I think John Pelphrey leaves for Kentucky.

Just as long as he doesn't CRAWL there....

Hogginintheville

Well the good news is if he is that good and he wants to go "home" to A&M that means he he kicked the crap out of Jimbo for 5 years plus if this really is Norvell's dream job then he will only be 42 when he comes "home".

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Count me as one of those concerned about CCM leaving for aTm  if he had success here. Those concerns were allayed some what when aTm signed Jimbo to the jumbo contract. Now barring unforeseen circumstances we probably have CCM for at least 5 years. So far I'm good with that.

EaTmE is locked in for 10...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Hogginintheville

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on December 18, 2017, 07:30:42 pm
EaTmE is locked in for 10...

Until he he only wins 8 games a year there.

farmhawg

Like Chad said, "be where your feet are". Appropriate.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Hogindasticks

Quote from: cjack on December 18, 2017, 02:13:27 pm
I think Morris is going to work out fine for us, but I would be willing to bet he would seriously consider the next big texas job.  I am sure he would jump ship to A&M whenever they fire Jimbo.

That was the biggest reason I wanted Norvell.  They seem like the same coach to me, with a few exceptions.  Morris is a Texas high school guru where Norvell was just from Texas.  On the other hand, Norvell is 13 years younger and considered Arkansas a destination job.  With Norvell, I think there was a chance to catch him before he wins a championship somewhere else in 10 years.  With Morris, we've got a chance to be a top 25 team again every year he's here.

Wow at the Sour Grapes!

Pig in the Pokey

10 years from now ... or, like you said, at LEAST 5.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

cjack

Quote from: Hogindasticks on December 18, 2017, 07:34:10 pm
Wow at the Sour Grapes!

No sour grapes at all. I wasn't impressed with Morris when he was hired. I'll admit that. Very few on here were. The more I learn about him and see his work ethic, the more I like him. He'll have us back in the top 25 and I think we should be.  I like the hire now. Like he says be where your feet are, that's what he is. He'll be our coach until he isn't.  He's had no hesitation in saying he's a Texas High school coach and I believe he wants to be the best coach in Texas. Until then, he coaches Arkansas.

Norvell is a rising star and I think he'll coach a championship team before he's done. He's just as hungry to win as Morris, but he wanted to be here, not just any bigger school.

I wish we wouldn't have passed on Norvell but we did.  Coach Morris is the coach and I'm behind him.
Woooo Pig Soooie!

195bc

Quote from: Hogginintheville on December 18, 2017, 07:32:10 pm
Until he he only wins 8 games a year there.

He's still locked in for a long time. That $75 million is guaranteed. Even after five years, the buyout is $37.5 million. Would they really fire him at year five with that kind of buyout, even with a mediocre record? That situation will not end well for aTm, and they deserve it.

ManBeast

Quote from: redeye on December 18, 2017, 05:19:34 pm
You got me!

Maybe we can get Gus to come home?    ;)

Well, if Gus is going to go to his Alma Matre, he'll take a major step backwards. He graduated from Henderson State.

Hoggish1

razorbackcaller

Quote from: apcapri on December 18, 2017, 04:28:10 pm
I know he attended college at aTm but why does everyone think he'd jump at the chance to coach there? Does even have any ties to the football program?

You obviously have no idea about aggies. They love that school more than they live their family

cjack

Quote from: razorbackcaller on December 19, 2017, 04:36:09 pm

You obviously have no idea about aggies. They love that school more than they live their family

Finally somebody else knows what an Aggie is and what that school means to them. It's not the same as being an alumni of Arkansas or Texas. It is Texas A&M first all day every day for those guys.
Woooo Pig Soooie!

Pudgepork

several of my cousins are aggies.  The last 6 yrs have been bad.  Really bad.  There are no more obnoxious people anywhere when they win 2 straight games.

Yamahog

Quote from: Pudgepork on December 19, 2017, 08:26:20 pm
several of my cousins are aggies.  The last 6 yrs have been bad.  Really bad.  There are no more obnoxious people anywhere when they win 2 straight games.

Allow them their brief moment of glory. Even with the winning streak, will still own them 41-30-3.