Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone else sick of replay in football?

Started by hogsanity, December 18, 2017, 11:40:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 18, 2017, 01:12:53 pm
Which is my point. If I catch the ball with two feet on the ground and take a step then fall down, it is a catch even if I drop it when I hit the ground, but if I catch it with two feet on the ground, immediately turn my torso go to a knee and reach for the goal line and the ball moves when I hit the ground, somehow that is not a catch.

Was there a defensive player in contact with the receiver when his knee was on the ground??
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: GuvHog on December 18, 2017, 01:37:42 pm
Was there a defensive player in contact with the receiver when his knee was on the ground??

no.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

DeltaBoy

I like it cause it helps keeps Zebras honest.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Tejano Jawg

Man, this one goes both ways. I totally get the buzz-kill of all the game delays because the ref is under the hood, or because we're "waiting for New York" or wherever. (Maybe New York is baseball.)

I understand the traditional view of letting humans decide it. But there are times things get missed, and the game changes because of it. If your opinion is one way or the other about replay, you're also going to get the downside list of each.

It should be pointed out that officials will screw up replays too, which is the worst of both worlds. And is just insulting to the sport. *I still have a mental image of Auburn's Mario Fannon fumbling a yard+ before he crosses the goal line in 2010, with a camera angle that was straight down the line. First the refs reversed the call on the field as a "touchdown" not a fumble. Then, after the obvious replay, they let the call stand. What you think about replay is influenced by how it helps/hurts you.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Augustus

Absolutely agree... because Penn Wagers and Marc Curles have been so good to us, in the past.

</sarcasm>

GalaHawg

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: GalaHawg on December 18, 2017, 02:08:16 pm
They already do from the booth.

That's a lot of reviewing in such a short amount of time. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

MAGA45

Take "replay in" out of the original title and that's how I feel about football right now.
Fake News

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on December 18, 2017, 02:03:54 pm

I understand the traditional view of letting humans decide it. But there are times things get missed, and the game changes because of it.

Which is why I said give them X # of challenges and let the coaches decide what plays they feel are important enough to use them on.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on December 18, 2017, 11:51:49 am
So a ref that can't see the ball wiggle a quarter inch when a player hits the ground and calls it a catch is being dishonest?

We used to all know what a catch was.

This all goes back to Mike Renfro and the Oilers vs. the Steelers.

hogsanity

The cynic in me says they do so much replay so they can run more commercials.

EastexHawg

Quote from: 1highhog on December 18, 2017, 01:03:52 pm
The Dallas Oakland game was a great game to show you the need for replay, that last play that Oakland ran was way close until the replay showed clear evidence that the ball belonged to Dallas.  That's why I'm a proponent of replay.

Extending the ball out like that is the single dumbest play in football.  If I were coaching I would tell the entire team before the season that any player who stuck the ball out toward the end zone on anything other than 4th and goal or the last play of the half would be cut.

The Raiders would have had first and goal on the one foot line.  Instead, Carr's stupid...and selfish...play cost them the game and probably a shot at the playoffs.  It's the same dumb play that cost the Cowboys a playoff game in Green Bay three years ago.

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on December 18, 2017, 02:28:35 pm
Extending the ball out like that is the single dumbest play in football.  If I were coaching I would tell the entire team before the season that any player who stuck the ball out toward the end zone on anything other than 4th and goal or the last play of the half would be cut.

The Raiders would have had first and goal on the one foot line.  Instead, Carr's stupid...and selfish...play cost them the game and probably a shot at the playoffs.  It's the same dumb play that cost the Cowboys a playoff game in Green Bay three years ago.

Exactly. Barring something very unusual, that game was a lock to at worst go to OT, and they were going to have 2 or 3 sots at the ez.

jkstock04

I vote no...I'd rather they get the call right at all costs. Even with replay it's still not "perfect" via matter of opinion...but it's a hell of a lot more accurate than it was 30 years ago.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Piggfoot

The game has been a human game officiated by humans seeing the play in real time. It is not right to review specific plays from multiple different angles at slow motion to determine results. If there is to be reviews it should be done in real time.
That being said, the number of reviews should be limited to three per game and be iniated  by coach challenges.
I am told the PGA has wisely eliminated tv calling reviews. If a player is to be reviewed on a specific shot then all players need every shot reviewed.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

sasnakrafan

My friend J.J. Meadors says no. The game is fine without replay.

hogfanny

Whatever is harder on the refs!! They have killed more good HOG plays than any thing in history. Hope they all rot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haters gonna hate

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: GalaHawg on December 18, 2017, 11:57:14 am

On the contrary - I hope they can start reviewing pass interference and holding calls as well.

Agree, specially about pass interference.  Defensive backs seem to hold, grab & push receivers, on almost every play. It seems to get worse each year. Ref's are either ignoring it, or many of them are blind. If it's a rule....it needs to be called every time it happens.  Only calling it part of the time, is not a fair way to regulate play. Either do away with pass interference calls, or call it each & every time.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

East Clintwood

There's way too many reviews.

Limit each team to 2 per half.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

jvanhorn

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on December 18, 2017, 11:51:22 am
Kills the momentum of the game when they go to the monitors 6-7 times a game.

You think it is bad now, go to a Major League Baseball game and get a look at the future.  What momentum, lol.

1highhog

I would have loved to have had instant replay for the 1969 shootout, we could of had ourselves another National Championship.  But, when I really think about it, as I stated earlier in this thread, we had instant replay and still got the biggest hose job ever by the Refs in the SEC Championship game against Florida.  >:(

bphi11ips

The game is fairer because of it, but it's frustrating to watch.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

HogBreath

December 19, 2017, 04:57:12 am #74 Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 05:08:52 am by HogBreath
Quote from: hogsanity on December 18, 2017, 02:27:22 pm
"The cynic in me" says they do so much replay so they can run more commercials.
Yuck...too much information.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: hogsanity on December 18, 2017, 01:10:40 pm
Umm, the officials on the field called touchback almost immediately. The side judge and back judge had that play boxed in quite nicely.

Yeah, the only reason to review that play was because of the importance to the game and to the Oakland fans. Pretty obvious in real time.

Hopefully we'll get a balance. We don't need replays to get the right time on the clock or the exact spot.

OTOH, I like replays at the end of a basketball game that look to see if the winning shot left the shooter's hand in time. A ref's eyes can't focus on two things at once.

Billy Bats

American football needs a system like tennis uses.  I think it's called Hawk-eye.  It sees the ball and calculates its most likely trajectory.  Why not have an instantaneous system with sensors and laser beams attached to your frickin head that tells us where the ball is, where the knee was, etc?

It's 2017 and these technologies have been available for decades—use it already.  Replay still relies on humans who are inherently flawed and impossibly stupid to decide games.

hogsanity

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on December 19, 2017, 06:46:48 am
Yeah, the only reason to review that play was because of the importance to the game and to the Oakland fans. Pretty obvious in real time.

Hopefully we'll get a balance. We don't need replays to get the right time on the clock or the exact spot.

OTOH, I like replays at the end of a basketball game that look to see if the winning shot left the shooter's hand in time. A ref's eyes can't focus on two things at once.

Replay has its place, like the basketball situation you mentioned, and I liked replay when it 1st came into football because it was very limited and the coaches had to decide when to use their challenges. NFL is still not quite so bad, but college is just a parade of reviews of calls that no one on the field seems even the slightest bit upset about.

bphi11ips

Too much unnecessary review in college, BUT, I'd like for replay officials to be able to review discretionary calls like holding and PI when they change the outcome of the game. How you do that is subject to debate, but Arkansas has been on the short end of too many suspicious calls over the years for me to think officials are beyond reproach. The threat of a reversal might help keep them honest.

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 19, 2017, 10:06:27 am
Too much unnecessary review in college, BUT, I'd like for replay officials to be able to review discretionary calls like holding and PI when they change the outcome of the game. How you do that is subject to debate, but Arkansas has been on the short end of too many suspicious calls over the years for me to think officials are beyond reproach. The threat of a reversal might help keep them honest.

So why not just have the entire game officiated by people in a room somewhere and have them take a minute or two or 3 analyzing every play to see if any fouls were committed? Why stop at PI and holding? Lets measure to see if a defender was leaning into the neutral zone a millisecond before the snap or if a lineman had a muscle twitch that would make it a false start.

volkh

"Son, it's not how you play the game, but how drunk you get."

-Homer J. Simpson

Kevin

When a player or team makes a mistake do they get a do over, no. Every coach wants every play run correctly. They don't get to stop the game and get to run it again.

Ref's make mistakes , play through them. Stop replay
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on December 19, 2017, 10:14:57 am
So why not just have the entire game officiated by people in a room somewhere and have them take a minute or two or 3 analyzing every play to see if any fouls were committed? Why stop at PI and holding? Lets measure to see if a defender was leaning into the neutral zone a millisecond before the snap or if a lineman had a muscle twitch that would make it a false start.

That's not the point and you know it.  Discretionary calls are already subject to review.  Targeting is an example.  Why should a PI call at a critical juncture not be subject to a coach's flag? 

I already stated that I don't like review, but if you are going to have of discretionary calls, why not have review for discretionary calls and let the coaches decide which ones they want to challenge?

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 19, 2017, 10:36:15 am
That's not the point and you know it.  Discretionary calls are already subject to review.  Targeting is an example.  Why should a PI call at a critical juncture not be subject to a coach's flag? 

I already stated that I don't like review, but if you are going to have of discretionary calls, why not have review for discretionary calls and let the coaches decide which ones they want to challenge?

Isn't targeting the only call like that currently reviewable? The problem with PI is the book definition says that ANYTHING that interferes with a eligible receiver's ability to catch the ball.......  Well, to one person that could mean any contact, but to another that could mean only contact with the arms, or the body.

And with games having 60,70 or more passes thrown, how many stoppages would we have?

The point is that people that have no idea what it is like to officiate a game think they do and they think just about every play they would have called it differently.

I said replay has its place, I just do not think it needs to have intruded into the game, especially the college game, nearly as much as it has. And I sure do not think some guy in a room somewhere needs to be determining if PI or holding should be called. IT is a game played in real time, let it be called that way.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on December 19, 2017, 11:00:49 am
Isn't targeting the only call like that currently reviewable? The problem with PI is the book definition says that ANYTHING that interferes with a eligible receiver's ability to catch the ball.......  Well, to one person that could mean any contact, but to another that could mean only contact with the arms, or the body.

And with games having 60,70 or more passes thrown, how many stoppages would we have?

The point is that people that have no idea what it is like to officiate a game think they do and they think just about every play they would have called it differently.

I said replay has its place, I just do not think it needs to have intruded into the game, especially the college game, nearly as much as it has. And I sure do not think some guy in a room somewhere needs to be determining if PI or holding should be called. IT is a game played in real time, let it be called that way.

When one discretionary call is reviewable it opens the slippery slope to all. 

Nobody says officiating is easy.  At one time the official was always right.  Worked fine for me.  On the other hand, I have seen some very suspicious calls at some very suspicious times go in favor of teams with more to lose than another, especially where conference interest was on the line.  I've also seen calls go against conference interest, too, of course.

If limits on challenges by the coach are set, and if there is a price to pay for making an unsuccessful challenge, why shouldn't all calls be subject to one?

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 19, 2017, 12:13:21 pm

If limits on challenges by the coach are set, and if there is a price to pay for making an unsuccessful challenge, why shouldn't all calls be subject to one?

I have no issue with that type of system. Give them 3 a half or 5 a game or whatever #, but make it where the coach is the only one that can challenge. None of this booth initiated review stuff except maybe in the final 2 minutes. Basically what the NFL system was when it 1st came in.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on December 19, 2017, 01:21:08 pm
I have no issue with that type of system. Give them 3 a half or 5 a game or whatever #, but make it where the coach is the only one that can challenge. None of this booth initiated review stuff except maybe in the final 2 minutes. Basically what the NFL system was when it 1st came in.

Good system, but I'd go with two per game and coach loses timeout if wrong.

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 19, 2017, 01:22:57 pm
Good system, but I'd go with two per game and coach loses timeout if wrong.

wouldn't get an argument from me on that either.