Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Defensive minded or offensive minded head coach?

Started by online-with-swine, November 05, 2017, 09:48:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

online-with-swine

I personally think it's easier to build a good offense here than defense because of the in state talent draw.  But, my lord the defense is terrible.  What do you guys think?

HogWilde

What sense does it make to fire BOTH your HC and AD at the same time?? Do you realize how long that will take to fill both positions and how all of the candidates we are discussing will be long gone? I get that CBB needs to go, it just didn't work. Why the disgust and vile hate for Jeff Long is beside me. I just don't quite understand it. We've got some real haters on this panel. I wish you people would find another team.
Jonathan "Hog" Wilde

The_Iceman

Mizzou has a defensive head coach, yet a good offense. It really doesn't matter. You need a leader. I'd take Norvell, Morris, or Venables.

thebignasty

Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

HOGINTENNESSEE

Venables is the only defensive Asst out there I can get behind.

Ham Ham Pigelow

Dave Doeren, a defensive coach, hired Eliah Drinkwitz who is a great offensive mind.  IMO, if you can just recruit a good defensive line, then you take a ton pressure off the back side.  That's what Doeren has done along with a pretty good offense. We can do that at Arkansas.

clutch

The way the game is played now, it's easier to gameplan to outscore opponents than it is to stop them. It's also a lot easier to recruit offensive players than it is defensive. Typically, your defensive guys are going to need a year or two of development before they are ready make real contributions. You can get offensive guys that are ready to go immediately.

King Kong

Quote from: Ham Ham Pigelow on November 05, 2017, 10:58:28 am
Dave Doeren, a defensive coach, hired Eliah Drinkwitz who is a great offensive mind.  IMO, if you can just recruit a good defensive line, then you take a ton pressure off the back side.  That's what Doeren has done along with a pretty good offense. We can do that at Arkansas.

Doeren is Bret Bielema's best friend. He won't take this job after we fire Bret

HogTakes

Give me an offensive-minded coach. Really all I want is a 8-win team that is fun to watch. And that doesn't embarrass itself against lesser opponents like Bert has done so so often.

Ham Ham Pigelow

Quote from: King Kong on November 05, 2017, 01:35:46 pm
Doeren is Bret Bielema's best friend. He won't take this job after we fire Bret
I was only speaking to how a defensive minded coach can just hire a talented coordinator.  No way Doeren would take the Ark job.

azhog10

ChicoHog

You teach offense but recruit defense.  We have to recruit stud defensive players to stop the run and CBs who can man up.  If we continue to finish in the bottom 3 or 4 teams in the SEC in recruiting we will not be able to compete in conference games on a consistent basis.  Have to find a HC and staff who can recruit and get us to the middle of the pack in recruiting which gives us a chance to be in top half in performance with player development. 

online-with-swine

We need to go the TCU route on defense....speed, aggression and more speed.

Broadway Rob

Quote from: HogTakes on November 05, 2017, 02:05:30 pm
Give me an offensive-minded coach. Really all I want is a 8-win team that is fun to watch. And that doesn't embarrass itself against lesser opponents like Bert has done so so often.

I'm with you there for the most part.  The great thing about a gun slingin' offense is that you're never out of a game.  That's what I loved about Petrino's team.  I never turned a game off because we always had a chance to come back.  8 wins per year and jump up to 10 or 11 every few years when everything bounces our way, would be just fine with me.
Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

IronHog

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Torqued pork

November 06, 2017, 07:59:41 am #15 Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 08:11:30 am by Torqued pork
Speed and quickness minded. I don't care if we win 14-10 or 48-45. Give me playmakers who will make it happen.

colbs

I think it kinda depends on what your expectations are for the program.  I think it's easier to build a competitive team trying to outscore someone.  If you want to a team that has a chance to win the conference you better have a good defense though.  The last 15 years Arkansas has been able to score but the main issue has been on the defensive side.  You can bring an a offensive or defensive mind as a HC and they can still bring in great coordinators for the other side of the ball.  Another thing is it seems like Arkansas doesn't produce as many SEC defensive players.  That's why I lean a little more toward a defensive mind and hope he hires a offensive genius to run the offense.

King Kong

Quote from: Ham Ham Pigelow on November 05, 2017, 07:45:20 pm
I was only speaking to how a defensive minded coach can just hire a talented coordinator.  No way Doeren would take the Ark job.

Understood

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 05, 2017, 10:03:46 am
Mizzou has a defensive head coach, yet a good offense. It really doesn't matter. You need a leader. I'd take Norvell, Morris, or Venables.

Yep next guy needs to be high energy and willing to go out and sell the program to fans and recruits regardless if he has a defensive or offensive background.  Gary Patterson was a defensive guy but his teams have been known for dynamic offenses as well.  Stoops was a DC before going to OU but has had some very good OCs as well, Mike Leach, Mark Mangino in the early years.  Venables knows the importance of a dynamic offense in modern football.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

IronHog

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 06, 2017, 01:52:13 pm
Yep next guy needs to be high energy and willing to go out and sell the program to fans and recruits regardless if he has a defensive or offensive background.  Gary Patterson was a defensive guy but his teams have been known for dynamic offenses as well.  Stoops was a DC before going to OU but has had some very good OCs as well, Mike Leach, Mark Mangino in the early years.  Venables knows the importance of a dynamic offense in modern football.

Good point
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.