Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just think

Started by Hogindasticks, February 01, 2018, 06:17:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogindasticks

1st year, unproven SEC Coach Morris brought multiple top level talents to the hill this year in recruiting.  Once his team is proven, what do you think will happen?

JIHawg

They are already starting to build relationships with 2019 and 2020 prospects.  Give them a year instead of six weeks and the results should improve dramatically.

Hogindasticks

Quote from: JIHawg on February 01, 2018, 06:32:52 pm
They are already starting to build relationships with 2019 and 2020 prospects.  Give them a year instead of six weeks and the results should improve dramatically.

Really looking forward to seeing this gel.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Hogindasticks on February 01, 2018, 06:17:16 pm
1st year, unproven SEC Coach Morris brought multiple top level talents to the hill this year in recruiting.  Once his team is proven, what do you think will happen?
He'll deliver Arkansas it's first ever top 10-12 class. 8)
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on February 01, 2018, 06:34:07 pm
You better knock on wood

CDBHawg

https://247sports.com/Season/2001-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

Batman Carroll
Shawn Andrews
Matt Jones
DeArrius Howard
Jeb Huckeba
Clarke Moore
Mark Pierce
Marvin Jackson
Tavaris Jackson

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: CDBHawg on February 01, 2018, 06:48:15 pm

Batman Carroll
Shawn Andrews
Matt Jones
DeArrius Howard
Jeb Huckeba
Clarke Moore
Mark Pierce
Marvin Jackson
Tavaris Jackson
that list isnt correct tho. at the time that class was like 18th iirc. look how miami only has 5 commits, where Cal only has one. that is from sometime during the season or is incomplete. we've never had a top 10 class in the modern era.

btw, my poppin bottles source is on that list lol
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Hogindasticks

bogus ranking...look at the numbers.

Pig in the Pokey

@Slackaveli

Flrazrback

This new staff is very aggressive and focused when it come to recruiting. Its not just one coach, it's everyone. The rise is upward Gentlemen

oldfart

who said Chavis wasnt into recruiting??? sure seems to be getting on with it

ThisTeetsTaken

This staff (especially the offensive staff) definitely has a philosophy in recruiting judging by their twitter accounts.  They all use Twitter to heap praise on the recruits they are after.  It's good to see the staff at least have a method.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

King Kong

I like the staff as recruiters. Chavis and Ron Cooper still have a lot of clout Louisiana which is very good for us.

We know Steve Caldwell can pull Dline talent from his previous time here.

Hopefully, the staff reputations in Texas will help more in the next cycle.

hawgmasta

We have to recruit better, and the coaches now seem to give an improved pitch

Flrazrback

I remember many said Coach Chavis didn't do much recruiting, but he is dang sure getting some good talent inspired about becoming Razorbacks..

Hogindasticks

Quote from: Flrazrback on February 01, 2018, 10:23:46 pm
I remember many said Coach Chavis didn't do much recruiting, but he is dang sure getting some good talent inspired about becoming Razorbacks..

Definitely a foot in the mouth moment for the haters....

bennyl08

Question is, can he get them to sign a LOI and stay on the hill?

Petrino was able to get on the radar of higher level recruits than Nutt was in the past, but struggled to actually sign them. Bielema was able to get more of them on campus and sign (see Kirkland, Collins, Skipper, and Henry his first year here with just weeks to recruit them here). Can Morris continue to build the national recruiting presence? Does he want to?
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

widespreadsooie

First time in my fandom I'm optimistic about recruiting. Like Pokey said, although I think he's nuts ;), I think this staff brings in a record class before it's over. I never imagined them hitting the trail like they have.

kp72204

Sky is the limit. Anxiously awaiting to see how this plays the. Who's redshirting? How much early playing time is promised?

MissippHog

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 01, 2018, 11:01:21 pm
Question is, can he get them to sign a LOI and stay on the hill?

Petrino was able to get on the radar of higher level recruits than Nutt was in the past, but struggled to actually sign them. Bielema was able to get more of them on campus and sign (see Kirkland, Collins, Skipper, and Henry his first year here with just weeks to recruit them here). Can Morris continue to build the national recruiting presence? Does he want to?
To be fair, CBB was recruiting a couple of those to Wisconsin, so he already had his foot in the door to top talent.

plumbhog

Quote from: CDBHawg on February 01, 2018, 06:48:15 pm

Batman Carroll
Shawn Andrews
Matt Jones
DeArrius Howard
Jeb Huckeba
Clarke Moore
Mark Pierce
Marvin Jackson
Tavaris Jackson

that 256 points Florida st. had would rank them 11th today and our 110 would have us ranked 111 today
bigdaddyhawg,<br />"Tyler wants to find the short receiver almost every single time.  He rarely even looks down the field. Folks, this IS a problem and it is going to continue to severely limit our pass game."<br /><br />Six days later, Tyler throws for a school record 510 yards against A&M

HogFoo

I like that it seems Morris has filled his staff with recruiters. And proven names like Caldwell/Chavis.  I believe our offense will speak for itself and offensive recruits will stwp on themselves to play for Morris..   I figure Morris will follow the plan of Petrino,  build offense where he can score on practically anyone, but unlike petrino, Morris is also bringing in studs on defense.  It's exciting to see these top rated players visiting.  hopefully we can snag a few more of them..  D.gerald is next commit I want to see. 
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

NoogaHog

I am also excited about the enthusiasm that Coach Morris and his staff seem to have for recruiting, but is it really that different? Coach Morris has had a lot of talent come visit but a lot of them have committed elsewhere. I'm sure that will improve.

Bielema and Petrino also had a lot of talent come through that went elsewhere as well. Solomon Thomas, Tyrie Cleveland, that White kid at LSU who is the best LB in the SEC. We were on those kids until signing day.

So, I expect we will continue to have some big gets and some huge misses and continue to recruit in the 18-25 range in the future with a few outlier seasons either way.

I hope it is better than that, but I expect a regression to the mean.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

FrozenHam

Agreed!  I am pleased with the enthusiasm and commitments we've witnessed recruiting.  Particularly in light of the limited sample size and time span they've been afforded. 

As excited as I get about the Razorbacks, and what the future may hold, I must periodically remind myself that most other fanbases and coaching staffs also expect their prospects to improve year over year.  It's an arms race of sorts, and each competitor is constantly seeking to improve their arsenal.  Averages are powerful predictors, I hope my favorite team will raise its mean caliber to a size larger than our competition.  As many others have suggested, we will have a better projection of our trajectory twelve or 18 months from now.  Go Hogs!

moley_russells_wart_hog

OneTuskOverTheLine™

It would seem so...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: NoogaHog on February 02, 2018, 09:06:07 am
I am also excited about the enthusiasm that Coach Morris and his staff seem to have for recruiting, but is it really that different? Coach Morris has had a lot of talent come visit but a lot of them have committed elsewhere. I'm sure that will improve.

Bielema and Petrino also had a lot of talent come through that went elsewhere as well. Solomon Thomas, Tyrie Cleveland, that White kid at LSU who is the best LB in the SEC. We were on those kids until signing day.

So, I expect we will continue to have some big gets and some huge misses and continue to recruit in the 18-25 range in the future with a few outlier seasons either way.

I hope it is better than that, but I expect a regression to the mean.

It's tied to enthusiasm and momentum.  Bielema started out hot as well.  But you gotta deliver on the field.  It's easiest to sell actual results.  It's next easiest to sell the promise of actual results, which is where Morris is now (and where Bielema was when he started).  It's harder to sell a stagnant program at consecutive 7-5s.  It's hardest to sell a sinking ship.   

So in summary, you gotta win.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on February 02, 2018, 01:02:34 pm
It's tied to enthusiasm and momentum.  Bielema started out hot as well.  But you gotta deliver on the field.  It's easiest to sell actual results.  It's next easiest to sell the promise of actual results, which is where Morris is now (and where Bielema was when he started).  It's harder to sell a stagnant program at consecutive 7-5s.  It's hardest to sell a sinking ship.   

So in summary, you gotta win.
Where have you been dawg.!?
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

The_Boot_stops_here

I hope, but this is highly unlikely.  Geography (and history), said it's probably not going to happen. 

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on February 02, 2018, 01:17:40 pm
I hope, but this is highly unlikely.  Geography (and history), said it's probably not going to happen. 
Right on time.. It's at this point in every thread that some Debbie Downer comes in with their bull shadt. Good for you.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 02, 2018, 01:25:18 pm
Right on time.. It's at this point in every thread that some Debbie Downer comes in with their bull shadt. Good for you.

Wait, so reason is now "bull shadt"?  You keep wishing for that top 10 class in one hand and bull shadting in the other and tell me which gets filled first.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on February 02, 2018, 05:20:30 pm
Wait, so reason is now "bull shadt"?  You keep wishing for that top 10 class in one hand and bull shadting in the other and tell me which gets filled first.
Anyone's guess.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on February 01, 2018, 11:52:46 pm
This class is no better than what we've been getting. Bottom of the sec.
You lurk this board like a dog in the yard looking for a place to darn...

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Flrazrback on February 01, 2018, 07:31:14 pm
This new staff is very aggressive and focused when it come to recruiting. Its not just one coach, it's everyone. The rise is upward Gentlemen
That's what she said...

code red

As fans it seems better, because under Brett it was absolutely terrible.  Mismanaged and miss after miss.  It will always be difficult to recruit to Fville.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

raz1965

Morris must have success on the field to continue to recruit well, it certainly easier to recruit with hope than with losing records.

Pudgepork

Quote from: raz1965 on February 03, 2018, 08:23:10 am
Morris must have success on the field to continue to recruit well, it certainly easier to recruit with hope than with losing records.

Agree.   A 12 win 2018 would be a great start

Pudgepork

This class has several bright spots in areas of need.  Especially on defense.  Their attention to recruitng to the defensive side bodes well in the coming season. 

On offense, at this point 5 days before signing day, the hidden gem in this class might be at running back.  Some might not remember but the RB committed was ranked 8th best back in the country when coming out of high school.  He has talent. He just lost focus on keeping his schoolwork up to par. 

ricepig

Quote from: Pudgepork on February 03, 2018, 08:47:34 am

This class has several bright spots in areas of need.  Especially on defense.  Their attention to recruitng to the defensive side bodes well in the coming season. 

On offense, at this point 5 days before signing day, the hidden gem in this class might be at running back.  Some might not remember but the RB committed was ranked 8th best back in the country when coming out of high school.  He has talent. He just lost focus on keeping his schoolwork up to par. 

Well, he still redshirted his first year at aTm, so he didn't see the field there. Hopefully, he's as good as his previous billing, and has his focus on the academic side. I know people complain about Bielema and school work, but from what I gather from FOTH, Morris has the academic bar a little higher than his predecessor.

Pudgepork

Quote from: ricepig on February 03, 2018, 08:53:14 am
Well, he still redshirted his first year at aTm, so he didn't see the field there. Hopefully, he's as good as his previous billing, and has his focus on the academic side. I know people complain about Bielema and school work, but from what I gather from FOTH, Morris has the academic bar a little higher than his predecessor.

It now appears that the previous staff (head coach) lacked the energy and work ethic to oversee the academic side AND the athletic side.  I think this staff has the work ethic and energy to get it done across the board.  For at least a couple of years. 
The trend usually is for a staff to have 1 or 2 years of success and then lose that edge, get fat and sassy.  Unless they are named saban, wooden or belichek

The NewEra

What our program needs right now for recruiting, more than ever, is an adrenaline shot in the arm for the 2018 season.  I don't know what that will have to look like in terms of how many wins.  However, if the offense can perform well, be very exciting to watch and have the media pundits speaking highly of Morris offense then that will really help lure some of the higher ranked talent here.  The same will have to apply to the defense.  If Chavis can improve the defense to 50th or better ( a 100% improvement) in the nation and highlight some guys showing out in an aggressive scheme then the first year under Morris will have just the type of buzz necessary to take recruiting to the next level.

It's obvious the Texas coaching network is behind Morris and staff.  Anyone who follows the staff's recruiting on twitter can see these guys won't be out worked. 

Hog N Bama

Quote from: code red on February 03, 2018, 07:27:31 am
As fans it seems better, because under Brett it was absolutely terrible.  Mismanaged and miss after miss.  It will always be difficult to recruit to Fville.
No it won't. Ever been to Stillwater, OK, Norman, OK, Waco, TX, Etc etc?

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Hog N Bama on February 03, 2018, 09:48:15 am
No it won't. Ever been to Stillwater, OK, Norman, OK, Waco, TX, Etc etc?

I think you're putting too much stock in the "quality of life" factor. Just b/c a city/area is a great place to live/work/raise a family, etc doesn't mean a guy wants to play his football there. Proximity to home, staff/relationships, on field success and perception matter much more.

Vantage 8 dude

Obviously we have no real clue how this class will turn out. While it's true that the usual suspects like 'Bama, UGa and LSU will sign their usual gaudy classes, the one real wild card for this class and others going forward is what CMM and staff actually DOES with the kids they're signing. Can they actually take the talent they're getting and do something with it through coaching, schemes and any necessary in-game adjustments ???

Looking back on CBB's tenure I believe most can acknowledge that in many cases we had more talent than what the records showed. It was the lack of depth and coaching that IMO doomed us in many cases. We rarely got our kids in a position to get "over the hump" when it came to actually finishing games we way we should have. How many times did our kids have a game (supposedly) secured only to collapse in the end? More goes into those failures than merely lack of talent. 

The NewEra

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on February 03, 2018, 09:57:29 am
I think you're putting too much stock in the "quality of life" factor. Just b/c a city/area is a great place to live/work/raise a family, etc doesn't mean a guy wants to play his football there. Proximity to home, staff/relationships, on field success and perception matter much more.

I heard an interview a while back, I think it was with Morris, but I'm not sure.  It could have been Sweeney.  Dabo did a survey of players to find out why they had picked one high performing institution over another, when everything else was fairly equal. A large percentage of those recruits surveyed said the key reason they opted for one school over the other was their living quarters.

Sweeney immediately worked to put a plan in place where Clemson had some of the best living quarters in the nation.  Clemson believes that upgrade has helped their recruiting significantly. 

I suspect that will be the next big upgrade for the football program. 

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/college-basketball-recruiting/2014/06/36633/where-everything-is-an-arms-race-college-athlete-housing-has-entered-the

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_emRoIupxyQ

ricepig

Quote from: The NewEra on February 03, 2018, 10:37:19 am
I heard an interview a while back, I think it was with Morris, but I'm not sure.  It could have been Sweeney.  Dabo did a survey of players to find out why they had picked one high performing institution over another, when everything else was fairly equal. A large percentage of those recruits surveyed said the key reason they opted for one school over the other was their living quarters.

Sweeney immediately worked to put a plan in place where Clemson had some of the best living quarters in the nation.  Clemson believes that upgrade has helped their recruiting significantly. 

I suspect that will be the next big upgrade for the football program. 

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/college-basketball-recruiting/2014/06/36633/where-everything-is-an-arms-race-college-athlete-housing-has-entered-the

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_emRoIupxyQ

You can't have an "athletic" dorm these days, lol. Of course they all try to work around it.

Atlhogfan1

Petrino and BB did well leading up to their first signing day too.   The early promise didn't turn into consistently great classes. Real early to be projecting based on a couple of months. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

The NewEra

Quote from: ricepig on February 03, 2018, 11:21:10 am
You can't have an "athletic" dorm these days, lol. Of course they all try to work around it.

I wasn't aware you couldn't have an athletic dorm. Just some more of society's craziness I guess.  Regardless, recruits are placing a high degree of importance on living quarters.

ricepig

Quote from: The NewEra on February 03, 2018, 11:27:43 am
I wasn't aware you couldn't have an athletic dorm. Just some more of society's craziness I guess.  Regardless, recruits are placing a high degree of importance on living quarters.

They've been banned since 1996, 51% of these "dorms" have to be occupied by "regular" students.