Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SURPRISED!

Started by hawgtime, January 22, 2018, 01:01:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgtime

all of the recruits are saying that they were surprised on their weekend visits?  What where they surprised about?

what are the details???

thanks,

Launcellous

A small part from the stigma of Arkansas in a lot of places. When they get there they realized how modern and beautiful the campus and NWA are. Another major part that is hard to understand till you see and experience it are the facilities, the academic center, and the fans.

Tim Harris

The hushpuppies.....They have heard of them but nothing compares to your first visit to the Catfish Hole.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Tim Harris on January 22, 2018, 01:09:20 pm
The hushpuppies.....They have heard of them but nothing compares to your first visit to the Catfish Hole.

Is the Catfish Hole being utilized as it has in the past with our current staff? I know BB LOOOOVED him some Catfish Hole, but I was just interested to see if this new staff does the same.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

ThisTeetsTaken

Why not steak and lobster?
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

ricepig

hawgtime

good question.  What is being showcased with this coaching STAFF?  what does the normal recruit visit entail?

Hopeful Hog

TexHog188

I spend a great deal of time in MS and until recently lived for the past 18 years in TX.  Most of those people still think Arkansas is way behind on facilities and is hick place to get ur lernin.  It doesn't help that we've been in the bottom tier of the SEC for many years, last two CBP years not withstanding.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Hopeful Hog on January 22, 2018, 01:45:27 pm
Don't knock it til you try it.

I did... Not impressed. I kid you not, there is food just as good at gas stations here in Mississippi.
The atmosphere with all of those Razorback fans is the key. Don't fool yourselves.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

247Hog

Quote from: Hopeful Hog on January 22, 2018, 01:03:45 pm
That we wear shoes and have running water/indoor plumbing. Not as much banjo playing as they probably thought.

Or most have more than one tooth.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

razorbackfaninar

It's standard every year.  Anytime we get a big recruit to visit for the first time one of the things that you can pretty much be sure they will say is how shocked/surprised they are by the facilities and the campus.  Part of it is still just the negative stereotypes about Arkansas, part of it is negative recruiting, part of it is that we haven't been consistently winning the last 20 years

Paul

Quote from: 247Hog on January 22, 2018, 02:08:46 pm
Or most have more than one tooth.
After we beat Texas in Austin with Matt Jones at QB, I called into George Lapides' radio show when he asked if anyone had been to the game.  He asked me to compare the atmosphere to an SEC game.  I said it was an 11:00 game so it was hard to compare.  He pushed me for something more substantive so I told him the girls were prettier & had more teeth...dead air for 5 seconds.

010HogFan

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on January 22, 2018, 02:07:21 pm
I did... Not impressed. I kid you not, there is food just as good at gas stations here in Mississippi.
The atmosphere with all of those Razorback fans is the key. Don't fool yourselves.

This is the truth

AirWarren

Man I still find it sad people think the catfish hole is top notch food.

redeye

While I do think stereotypes play a part, I also suspect that players are lead to say they were surprised.  Too many mention being surprised for it to be entirely coincidental.

King Kong

Teams affectively negative recruit against us

ricepig

Quote from: AP85 on January 22, 2018, 02:40:20 pm

It's not the food, but I think you know that.

ricepig

Quote from: Hopeful Hog on January 22, 2018, 01:45:27 pm
Don't knock it til you try it.

I've had plenty of hushpuppies, but thanks for your concern.

Dropkick

Quote from: ricepig on January 22, 2018, 03:04:44 pm
Rice, I have never eaten at the Catfish Hole but a friend of mine who was transplanted to NWA said Ron's in Jonesboro is better. What say you?

longtimeHogfan

That we wear shoes and have running water/indoor plumbing. Not as much banjo playing as they probably thought.

I had occasion to spend a few months in West Virginia a few years back and I learned they don't prosecute felony's in West Virginia.  First of all there aren't any dental records and everybody's DNA is the same.   
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

ricepig

Quote from: Dropkick on January 22, 2018, 03:09:13 pm
Rice, I have never eaten at the Catfish Hole but a friend of mine who was transplanted to NWA said Ron's in Jonesboro is better. What say you?

I haven't been to Ron's in about 8-9 years, so I probably couldn't give an accurate assessment. CH is ok, but I wouldn't say it's the best catfish I've had by a long stretch. Shoot, I had some at JCC for lunch last Friday that was as good as any, lol.

The Catfish Hole has really good hushpuppies, or did the last time I was there, about 3 years ago.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: Dropkick on January 22, 2018, 03:09:13 pm

I don't know about Rice, but I've eaten at both and I can tell you....the worst fried catfish I ever had was pretty darned good. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

AirWarren

Quote from: ricepig on January 22, 2018, 03:04:44 pm

It's the atmosphere. Period.

But it's time for a change. Give them boys some dang surf and turf

ricepig

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on January 22, 2018, 03:17:31 pm
I don't know about Rice, but I've eaten at both and I can tell you....the worst fried catfish I ever had was pretty darned good. 

If it has that "fishy" taste, it's bad no matter where you eat it.

hawgtime

what is the new coaching staff's itinerary for the recruits coming in?  what is their schedule like?

thanks, i geek out on this stuff!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on January 22, 2018, 01:32:03 pm
Why not steak and lobster?

Your new mission if you choose to accept it is to find and tell us how many schools do steak and lobster.

deedster84

Nutrition center. Learning center. Facilities that are up to par with the texas' and bamas. Beautiful scenery. I don't care if you're from Little Rock, the first trip to Fayetteville is a lil surprising.

HogFoo

Atmosphere is always a good thing.  But good food is another.    Ive been all over and I tell you what, the steak at the Catfish Hole ranks right up there in top 3 ive ever had.    I doubt they make steak that good as some gas station in Mississippi.    give me a break!     It's all good at catfish hole.  Hushpuppies are splendid as well!   wish I had some right now!  haha..   

Glad we got this recruit.  with the 5* in brown, with calloway, curl,  we have some very good tall talent at DBs/S for the future.  And all have some speed!   It's already apparent that we are going after more speed speed speed speed speed and more speed.   We definitely needed it on defense for quite some time!   I look for the WRs we start getting in the future to all be able to be dual sport if they wanted.   Track / football.  Not saying they'll do it, but I did see where some of the WRs we were on already were dual sport dudes with some with major speed.  that only bodes well for us.   I believe with this group of coaches, we are also gonna have near that type speed with our dbs!   nothing I hated more than when it looked like were running in mud, and no one we had could catch some of these Rbs, and wrs from other teams.  look for that to change!  And I welcome it!   

Very excited what the future holds for us with this coaching staff!  like I was telling one of my friends,  with all of the ties that Morris has in texas, from being a former big time HS coach, to going to Clemson and helping to get them figured out , to going back to SMU and getting that school headed towards success.   He was on a lot of these big time guys while he was at SMU, and if he had been at a ''name'' school in a P5 conf. he probably would have got them!   Now that he's at Arkansas, he is revisiting some of these same guys he did when he was at SMU and he is getting them to listen.  Now, its a little too late on some, and that sucks for us, but the future bodes veryyyy well for us getting recruits out of texas!  Why the past staff neglected Texas like he did is just baffling.   Now we got someone who is going to use every possible benefit he can to help us out.  All of his past connections, Plus the benefit of Chavis, Caldwell, those dudes already showing they still can recruit.  The only thing left to do will be to win!  If we can get wins rolling in like I believe that we will be able too!  Sky is the limit Hog fans!    We had talent on this team already, we weren't utilizing it correctly!  I don't think we will have coaches on this staff who hold grudges against some players.  Which was just ignorant.    Anyways, this staff is here to win.  And I believe they will do it!   Go Hogs!   keep the recruits coming!
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Ugly Uncle

Had a coach from Louisiana in my family bring up some high school talent.  They were SHOCKED at our facilities.  They thought LSU would be the best.  They had recently visited Bama and thought we had better facilities than they did.  I think they had been told we wouldn't be up to par.

Yet, here we are.
Retired Radio Host

outlawhogeywells

Quote from: AP85 on January 22, 2018, 03:18:01 pm
It’s the atmosphere. Period.

But it’s time for a change. Give them boys some dang surf and turf
Here is the scoop on the catfish hole.  the recruits eat a lot more than is on the menu for the rest of us.  Yes they get plates of Catfish and plates of chicken plus those hush puppies, but they also get ribs and fried and peel and eat shrimp.  They can get steaks (and yes they have really good steaks at Catfish Hole) if they like. If a recruit has a special diet they accommodate that also.  Let's remember those guys are on an official dinner in a different room. 

SooieGeneris

Quote from: deedster84 on January 22, 2018, 04:15:34 pm
Nutrition center. Learning center. Facilities that are up to par with the texas' and bamas. Beautiful scenery. I don't care if you're from Little Rock, the first trip to Fayetteville is a lil surprising.

As Aunt Esther told Fred Sanford: "Don't you blaspheme up in here!!!"
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

Piggfoot

Quote from: ricepig on January 22, 2018, 03:18:49 pm
If it has that "fishy" taste, it's bad no matter where you eat it.
I've cooked and eaten catfish all over the South. Actually some of the best tasting has come from convenience stations, hospitals and country clubs. The key to good catfish is in removing the red line and belly fat. Any dark looking flesh. That fat next to bones gives a bad taste in fish above 2-3 pounds. If any bad fat is  cooked it will destroy the rest of the fish cooking and any subsequent batches.   My uncles father-in-law developed a method for removing this fat and the process was stolen from him.
The CH catfish is ok. I've never been there when the players were there.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

SooieGeneris

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on January 22, 2018, 04:37:37 pm
Had a coach from Louisiana in my family bring up some high school talent.  They were SHOCKED at our facilities.  They thought LSU would be the best.  They had recently visited Bama and thought we had better facilities than they did.  I think they had been told we wouldn't be up to par.

Yet, here we are.

I have heard since A&M renovated their facilities in the last year or two that the Aggies were supposed to be ahead of even 'Bama in the arms race of football facilities.

According to what Rakeem Boyd has been quoted as saying, ehh, maybe not. Remember, he was there for a year before he left for JC.

As far as the "surprise" element, IMO these out of state kids have heard little to nothing about UA and what they have heard are all the old stereotypes of the state in a lot of cases.

Even some of the instate kids have been brainwashed into the "poor lil' ol' Arkinsaw" is like a 3rd world "s-hole" country no one goes to on purpose mentality and thus are surprised to find out otherwise.

Many people's first view of the state up close is the NWA airport which leads to a few miles of rusticity before getting to Rogers/B'ville. Then they get a pleasant surprise..
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

Hog N Bama

Differece is they change the cooking oil at The Catfish Hole

razorbackcaller

Quote from: AP85 on January 22, 2018, 02:40:20 pm

This!!!!!!!!

hawg1221

I recommend going to Sam's Club, buying the $17.49 bag of thick catfish fillets, and frying some at home. It's cheaper and not hard to make them tasty.

deedster84

Quote from: hawg1221 on January 22, 2018, 06:00:42 pm
I recommend going to Sam's Club, buying the $17.49 bag of thick catfish fillets, and frying some at home. It's cheaper and not hard to make them tasty.

I get my catfish straight from the stock ponds here in Paragould. I run the ponds with a friend checking oxygen levels in the summer. Cheaper and tastier.

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: hawg1221 on January 22, 2018, 06:00:42 pm

I'm down, but I need someone's grandma to teach me how to make hushpuppies.
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

Soooie21

I wouldn't doubt that alot of recruits think of Ark,,,as dogpatch.

bell2629

Quote from: ricepig on January 22, 2018, 03:17:07 pm
I haven't been to Ron's in about 8-9 years, so I probably couldn't give an accurate assessment. CH is ok, but I wouldn't say it's the best catfish I've had by a long stretch. Shoot, I had some at JCC for lunch last Friday that was as good as any, lol.

The Catfish Hole has really good hushpuppies, or did the last time I was there, about 3 years ago.

The best catfish in Arkansas, which might just make it the finest damn mudfish in the U. S. of A., is found at Fred's Fish House in Batesville.

I live in what is probably one of the southern seafood capitals of the country, and it's rare that I find catfish even in the same ballpark. None is better.
Praise the Lard!

ricepig

Quote from: bell2629 on January 22, 2018, 06:45:04 pm
The best catfish in Arkansas, which might just make it the finest damn mudfish in the U. S. of A., is found at Fred's Fish House in Batesville.

I live in what is probably one of the southern seafood capitals of the country, and it's rare that I find catfish even in the same ballpark. None is better.

Fred's is good, I remember going to Cord to the original place.

rzrbk4life

Shouldn't of read this thread. Now craving catfish
Let's call those hogs!!!!

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: bell2629 on January 22, 2018, 06:45:04 pm

It is good, but Tadpoles in Pleasant Plains is awfully good too.
Retired Radio Host

sowmonella

19K at BWA on Saturday was very impressive to the recruits.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Hoggish1

LMAO  And surprised that the tooth brush was invented in Mississippi and not in Arkansas where it is called a teeth brush.

NVRyield

What other spots do they take recruits now?  I don't keep up with recruiting close enough I guess.  That said, the Catfish Hole has served us well...no pun, well maybe some pun intended.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on January 22, 2018, 03:48:53 pm
Your new mission if you choose to accept it is to find and tell us how many schools do steak and lobster.
Hey, if one School feeds me steak and lobster and the other School feeds me hush puppies and catfish, everything being equal I'm going to the steak and lobster School.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***