Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Posting links to illegal streams

Started by PorcineSublime, April 05, 2013, 07:21:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorcineSublime

As Nancy Reagan would say, just say no! This will get Lanny and Hogville in big trouble if this continues. I can guarantee that this is a very serious deal. I for now will assume that no one knew the seriousness of doing this, but I can promise you that it can and probably will lead to some bans and deletions if it continues. It is just too big a risk and can get everyone's favorite message board shut down quickly. The government tends to take a no prisoners scorched earth approach to this.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

TikiHog

PorcineSublime

They are saddling 14 yo's with $400k fines for downloading the latest Justin Beiber album. It is insane. Not only Hogville can get in trouble, you can lose your internet if caught stealing subscription streaming, and get fines or jail time depending on how much of a phallus the prosecutor is.

ricepig

So, would a link to where these games are being shown be the same? One is not giving a link to pirate a certain game, some games could be free on such site. I'm cool either way, just asking for clarification.

PorcineSublime

Quote from: ricepig on April 05, 2013, 08:57:32 pm
So, would a link to where these games are being shown be the same? One is not giving a link to pirate a certain game, some games could be free on such site. I'm cool either way, just asking for clarification.
If the game is available for  free to all legally then by all means post a link. I think we had a game last year where there was a free trial going on (maybe at auburn?).

StuartDavin

This should really be common sense. Also, I believe this topic was stickied for a while. If they are willing to sue minors for downloading music, I can only imagine how they'd go after a website as popular as this one.

maxre567

Not to break the rules or anything and this is not directed at anyone here and rule respected, but imo

1.  The streams shouldn't be called illegal streams, theres really nothing illegal about them, I just think politically speaking the evil police state people in Washington brainwash people into thinking they are, but let's not get into a politics because I know that's not for here

2.  Almost baffles me that they'd consider people who post links to this stuff as violators and you'd think if they didn't want these streams going around and wanted to shut them down, they'd appreciate the help people would get them for exposing the broadcasters, it's wrong to lay the hammer on a site or forum that has links to the streams if they themselves don't host them.

but that's just my opinion and... just gonna have to leave it at that

PorcineSublime

Quote from: maxre567 on April 06, 2013, 02:30:31 am
Not to break the rules or anything and this is not directed at anyone here and rule respected, but imo

1.  The streams shouldn't be called illegal streams, theres really nothing illegal about them, I just think politically speaking the evil police state people in Washington brainwash people into thinking they are, but let's not get into a politics because I know that's not for here

2.  Almost baffles me that they'd consider people who post links to this stuff as violators and you'd think if they didn't want these streams going around and wanted to shut them down, they'd appreciate the help people would get them for exposing the broadcasters, it's wrong to lay the hammer on a site or forum that has links to the streams if they themselves don't host them.

but that's just my opinion and... just gonna have to leave it at that
While politically I might tend to agree with most of what you have stated, the Digital Millennium copyright act made almost every display of copyrighted material on the internet illegal. It was probably well intended by those who approached it, but the Hollywood music and film folks bought themselves some real advantages. I agree that you shouldn't steal content, but the penalties are to the point of ridiculous. Most of the time you will get a cease and desist or take down order, but every now and then the RIAA or MPAA get a bug up their hiney you get the goofy 6 or 7 figure fine.

Break & Run

A couple years ago, I was caught downloading get Him to the Greek off of a piracy website. My Internet company found that, disconnected my service and I had to take my laptop to them and allow them to search it so all illegal downloads were deleted. I got off on the easy end of it.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

Dr. Starcs

Dang, you guys got me all paranoid now.

So is that website starting with a "j" illegal too?

PorcineSublime

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on April 06, 2013, 08:51:08 am
Dang, you guys got me all paranoid now.

So is that website starting with a "j" illegal too?
Yes, at least anything they stream that is not original content (not sure if they have any), which is why we don't allow posting links to it.

Break & Run

anything that you do not have to sign in and PAY for is illegal.  Now, the Hogville facebook page is a different story.  ;)

I kid...
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

rhog1

Ok say the link to the stream  is on another forum. Is it OK to post a link to that forum or is that still against the rules?

Break & Run

PigWig

Quote from: The Mafia on April 06, 2013, 08:43:38 am
A couple years ago, I was caught downloading get Him to the Greek off of a piracy website. My Internet company found that, disconnected my service and I had to take my laptop to them and allow them to search it so all illegal downloads were deleted. I got off on the easy end of it.
Who was your ISP?

Break & Run

PigWig

Quote from: The Mafia on April 06, 2013, 09:55:00 am
I prefer not to say.
PM me. If I'm using them now, I'll be switching service.

Doug

Quote from: rhog1Ok say the link to the stream  is on another forum. Is it OK to post a link to that forum or is that still against the rules?
Do not post any links or even hint where to search for it. Don't even share it via Private Messages. The latest iteration of the Copyright act actually gives Internet Service Providers the capability AND authorization to monitor what you do online via packet sniffing.  They have pattern and regex filters they are utilizing at the broadest levels and can drill down to an individual computer or device, if need be.

DMCA notifications are only going to get worst going forward, because of this.

I don't think anyone realizes the gravity of just how serious this can be, not only for themselves, but for website owners/operators and hosting providers.

The easiest way for Hogville Admins to deal with this is to simply delete the offending account, posts and private messages. So this is the route that we will most likely go. Doesn't matter if you have 1 post or 30K posts, either.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

rhog1

Quote from: Douglas on April 06, 2013, 10:00:38 am
Do not post any links or even hint where to search for it. Don't even share it via Private Messages. The latest iteration of the Copyright act actually gives Internet Service Providers the capability AND authorization to monitor what you do online via packet sniffing.  They have pattern and regex filters they are utilizing at the broadest levels and can drill down to an individual computer or device, if need be.

DMCA notifications are only going to get worst going forward, because of this.

I don't think anyone realizes the gravity of just how serious this can be, not only for themselves, but for website owners/operators and hosting providers.

The easiest way for Hogville Admins to deal with this is to simply delete the offending account, posts and private messages. So this is the route that we will most likely go. Doesn't matter if you have 1 post or 30K posts, either.
Thanks for the response I honestly didn't know if that was Illegal or not.