Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dan Enos 'Being a head coach is not all it's cracked up to be'

Started by 870hogfan, February 20, 2015, 03:13:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

I think what he means is "Being OC at Arkansas gives me a way better chance to be a HC at a big school down the road".  I'm sure Arkansas isn't where he wants to be forever, but if he can come here and put himself on the coaching map by making our offense really click and win games for us, I'm all about it. 

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

WaltonCollege

He will be great, took a team no one cares about that I can't even find on a map to two bowls games with garbage players. Excited to see what he can do with some weapons around him.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: WaltonCollege on February 20, 2015, 03:24:32 pm
He will be great, took a team no one cares about that I can't even find on a map to two bowls games with garbage players. Excited to see what he can do with some weapons around him.

It's not a horrible program.  Butch Jones did great there and Brian Kelly did alright there before Jones.

Oddly enough, both left for the Cincinnati job.

Enos didn't light it up and was overdue for making his mark there the way that Butch Jones did, for instance.  He wasn't going to be moving up to a better HC job and I think he realized that.

I'm optimistic about him at Arkansas.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: DukeOfPork on February 20, 2015, 04:32:59 pm
It's not a horrible program.  Butch Jones did great there and Brian Kelly did alright there before Jones.

Enos didn't light it up and was overdue for making his mark there the way that Butch Jones did, for instance.  He wasn't going to be moving up to a better HC job and I think he realized that.

As we all know, some good Coordinators don't make good HC's. As an example, Charlie Weiss has been reported to be a really great OC, as a HC, not so much. Muschamp is a great DC, not much as a HC.

I have high hopes for Enos as our OC, but only time will tell. I know, I am being cautionary, but given as little as we know about his ability to be a proficient OC at a high level of competition like the SEC, I don't want to put the cart before the horse. I think we will have a pretty good idea about what he is capable of after the A&M game on Sept 26th and certainly know even more after the Tennessee game the following week.
Go Hogs Go!

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 20, 2015, 07:45:55 pm
As we all know, some good Coordinators don't make good HC's.

That's true.  Not everybody can be Gene Chizik.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

usf15cc

Paul

Quote from: DukeOfPork on February 20, 2015, 04:32:59 pm

one of his challenges was transitioning from spread players left by Jones to his preferred pro style

hawganatic

Really think if I were a coach I'd enjoy being a coordinator a lot more than being a head coach.  Be able to focus in on the teaching and game planning of actual football, opposed to dealing with the politics and media that head coaches have to deal with, that pulls them away from actual football and coaching.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hawganatic on February 24, 2015, 02:22:55 pm
Really think if I were a coach I'd enjoy being a coordinator a lot more than being a head coach.  Be able to focus in on the teaching and game planning of actual football, opposed to dealing with the politics and media that head coaches have to deal with, that pulls them away from actual football and coaching.

Lots of guys get to the point that they think that they want to run their own programs. Some find out it is more than they can handle (because it requires coordination on a higher level as well) or maybe it is more than they want to handle. Others find that it is just their cup of tea.

Not every good to great Coordinator is going to be a really good HC but they usually have to achieve some level of success as a Coordinator to ever even be considered for a HC'ing position at a P-5 or Mid Major school. Charlie Weiss has probably been given more opportunities as a HC than he deserves, but I think most still consider him to be a very good OC. That said, there are a lot of guys who have made really good careers out of being position coach's or Coordinator's. Look at Pittman. Renowned for perhaps being one of the best, if not the best, O-Line Coach in the country. Hope we keep him until he retires.
Go Hogs Go!

PORKULATOR

Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Cinco de Hogo

I think most coaches even successful one would say that.  I think the most important attribute a coach can have is a great desire to shape the lives of young men but the same time being a coach at a major school requires a man with broad shoulders and just a little bit of a hardasz.  Way too many personalities involved to be a wuss.  In a profession like coaching I can assure you that at times they all get tired of being them.