Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Compare-The 2014 Seasons-Arkansas Vs. Missouri

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, February 19, 2015, 11:57:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 20, 2015, 10:30:31 pm
In my opinion, the main reason why Missouri won against us is because of the following Defensive Coach.

www.mutigers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/steckel_dave00.html

Steckel can defensive coach.  I can think of only 2 games in which he had subpar defensive game planning/play calling, and those 2 were the SEC Championship game in 2013 against Auburn and last season against Indiana.

Thankfully, Steckel has left Missouri (he got a head coaching job).

Their defense is what saved them all season. Same thing with LSU. LSU didn't go 8-5 because they had a great offense (387.4 yds total offense), it was their defense (316.9 yds total defense).
Go Hogs Go!

Cresthog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 20, 2015, 10:30:31 pm
In my opinion, the main reason why Missouri won against us is because of the following Defensive Coach.

www.mutigers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/steckel_dave00.html

Steckel can defensive coach.  I can think of only 2 games in which he had subpar defensive game planning/play calling, and those 2 were the SEC Championship game in 2013 against Auburn and last season against Indiana.

Thankfully, Steckel has left Missouri (he got a head coaching job).

Only 2 games?

What about when they got beat 34-0 by UGA? That was defensive brilliance.

Paul

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Paul on February 21, 2015, 09:36:25 am
Wow!  They converted 81% 4th downs!

Oddly enough, while they only converted 42.9% on third downs, when they got in the RZ they scored an astronomically high 93.3% of the time (#3 in the country and #2 among FBS teams) and still managed to score fewer points per game on average than we did.
Go Hogs Go!

Chief Mac

Quote from: mizzouman on February 20, 2015, 08:04:02 am
Exactly.  For people on this board that could care less about Mizzou, there's a lot of angst against them.

And mizzou fans can't help but migrate to this board....lots of angst there as well??
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Bacons Rebellion

The difference in our records isn't in the statistics. It's because four times we had opportunities to drive for a clinching or winning score (A&M, Alabama, Mississippi State, and Missouri) and never once did we execute.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on February 21, 2015, 11:44:06 am
The difference in our records isn't in the statistics. It's because four times we had opportunities to drive for a clinching or winning score (A&M, Alabama, Mississippi State, and Missouri) and never once did we execute.

That nonetheless plays into the statistics, but I don't disagree that we didn't execute when we needed to.
Go Hogs Go!

HawgTide

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on February 21, 2015, 11:39:21 am
And mizzou fans can't help but migrate to this board....lots of angst there as well??

The Mizzou boards blow. Nobody should have to read that crap

Cresthog

We choked. That's what we did.

Missouri flat out has our number and I hate it. Not ifs and or buts about it.

RazorChuck

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on February 20, 2015, 06:23:52 pm
Mizzouman,  I like you as a poster. I respect your opinions. You have a very unbiased perspective in most cases,  but you are simply wrong in this instance.  Brandon's injury totally changed the games results.  Not even debatable.  He wasn't banged up. He wasn't just playing with nagging football related injuries.  No, he was incapacitated and could not throw the ball. That is on the staff. But it allowed Missouri to win that game.

It was actually the officiating that won the game for pizzou.

geauxhawgs

LJHOG

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 19, 2015, 02:18:57 pm
I read that there was a disagreement between chaney and BB on the issue, but it wasn't stated which wanted to pull him and which wanted to keep him in.  which is frustrating because now I don't know who to be mad at.
head coach is responsible.  since BA stayed I would figure it was BB call.

mizzouman

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 20, 2015, 05:18:44 pm
Again, the obvious seems to be escaping you. What do you think it means? There isn't anything vague about it. "It is unbelieveable how much better in so many categories that we were compared to Missouri." There isn't anything speculative about that because it is factually true. Seems you are trying to fabricate an argument just because you don't care for the facts. Seriously, stop being purposely obtuse. That statement is completely clear.

Were we better in most categories than Missouri? Yes. And I don't know that if I compared us to a lot of other teams season stats that we played, that I could say the same thing, that two teams were very similar and yet one won 11 games and the other won 7. By the way, the only one who is arguing in this thread is you, and I honestly don't know if you are truly confused and unable to comprehend something so simple, or if you are purposely trying to be difficult and stimulate an argument. I can only explain it just so many times at the simplest level.
The speculation is that because the stats are better, Arkansas was a better team.  If that was not your conclusion of these stats, then I stand corrected.

mizzouman

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on February 20, 2015, 06:23:52 pm
Mizzouman,  I like you as a poster. I respect your opinions. You have a very unbiased perspective in most cases,  but you are simply wrong in this instance.  Brandon's injury totally changed the games results.  Not even debatable.  He wasn't banged up. He wasn't just playing with nagging football related injuries.  No, he was incapacitated and could not throw the ball. That is on the staff. But it allowed Missouri to win that game.
We'll just have to agree to disagree.  Besides, we'll never know.  And so what?  You play with the players you have.  Who knows, if Mauk was 100%, maybe we win by a bigger margin.  Who knows, if Murphy and Hansborough were 100%, it would have been a 3 score win.

What I'm trying to say is that injuries are part of it.  If BA was hurt that much and you didn't have a backup, then that tells you something about that particular team.  It was game 12.  Everyone is hurt.....

mizzouman

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 20, 2015, 06:29:26 pm
And he will counter with "Mauk playing injured, the O-Line banged up all season long, etc, etc." The obvious injuries only seem to count on the Missouri side of the ball.
You are correct in what I will respond with.  Teams don't get extra points for play with hurt players.  It's football.  You don't get handicap points. 

mizzouman

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 21, 2015, 08:34:47 am
Their defense is what saved them all season. Same thing with LSU. LSU didn't go 8-5 because they had a great offense (387.4 yds total offense), it was their defense (316.9 yds total defense).
What do you mean by "saved them?"  I mean, defense is part of the game, right?  Nothing saved there, part of the game.

mizzouman

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on February 21, 2015, 11:39:21 am
I don't see but a handful of Mizzou fans on here.  I stay because I have an interest in the Razorbacks as well. 

mizzouman

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on February 21, 2015, 11:44:06 am
Ah voice of reason.  Gotta learn how to win.  With Bielema, that will come.  Kinda of like our sucky hoops team.  Very bad team, but have been in some games.  Record could be better but don't know how to win.  But, that's part of it.

mizzouman

Quote from: HawgTide on February 21, 2015, 01:05:06 pm
The Mizzou boards blow. Nobody should have to read that crap
Quote from: RazorChuck on February 21, 2015, 04:12:36 pm
It was actually the officiating that won the game for pizzou.
Yeah, those refs sucked.  If all the penalties were called, then Mizzou wins by 3 scores. 

mizzouman

Quote from: Cresthog on February 21, 2015, 01:06:00 pm
We choked. That's what we did.

Missouri flat out has our number and I hate it. Not ifs and or buts about it.
Next year could be a different story.  Sports cycles up and down.  You guys might rattle off a couple of wins in a row against us as well.  You are in good shape with Bielema.

mizzouman

Quote from: LJHOG on February 22, 2015, 10:34:32 am
head coach is responsible.  since BA stayed I would figure it was BB call.
Coaching is part of it.  Maybe BB knows that even with a banged up BA, BA was the best choice.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Cresthog on February 21, 2015, 09:29:03 am
Only 2 games?

What about when they got beat 34-0 by UGA? That was defensive brilliance.

Well, at least Steckel held Georgia to 34 points.  That was better than the 45 points Georgia scored on us in Little Rock.

I see your point though.  That Georgia game probably should be added to the Auburn 2013 SEC Championship game and the 2014 Indiana game as games in which Steckel was not at his best.

Steckel will most likely be a huge loss for Missouri.  Over the last 2 seasons, he was probably the difference in them winning 4 more games in each season than they would have without him as their DC.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 23, 2015, 09:48:41 am
Well, at least Steckel held Georgia to 34 points.  That was better than the 45 points Georgia scored on us in Little Rock.

I see your point though.  That Georgia game probably should be added to the Auburn 2013 SEC Championship game and the 2014 Indiana game as games in which Steckel was not at his best.

Steckel will most likely be a huge loss for Missouri.  Over the last 2 seasons, he was probably the difference in them winning 4 more games in each season than they would have without him as their DC.

There is probably a lot of truth in that. Out of 178 drives that their opponents had last year only 38 made it into their RZ, 21.3% of all drives. This was a solid number that really helped them as their 2014 offense fell off from its production in 2013 only reaching the opponents RZ on 25% of their drives (180 drives total with 45 RZ trips). Steckel did a good job for Missouri.
Go Hogs Go!

mizzouman

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 23, 2015, 09:48:41 am

Barry Odom is taking his place.  Was a player and position coach at Mizzou before become DC at Memphis.  He should do OK.

TheGrove68

I don't think we miss a beat with Odom as DC.......He turned a horrid Memphis Def. from the 117th ranked squad into the 22nd ranked overall def. this year and the 5th rated scoring Def.  Being a coach on Stecks staff and being a player at Mizzou should allow for a seamless transition.
The Grove...  Home of Don Faurot

jkstock04

Quote from: HF#1 on February 20, 2015, 11:11:01 am
We lost to Mizzou for a number of reasons...

1. Allen was hurt.
2. Chaney throwing it in the 4th quarter with a hurt QB
3. Defense got gassed because of Chaney's play calling.
4. Mizzou hit two or three big plays because our guys were gassed.
5. Mizzou got lucky
6. Mizzou has been lucky the last two years.
7. Mizzou shouldn't be in the SEC
8. Mizzou should lay off the meth
9. Mizzou sucks
10. I hate Mizzou.
You forgot to add that our O-line got man handled by their smaller D-line in the 2nd half.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys