Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESPN SEC Blog on chances HOGS make a New Year's 6 Bowl

Started by shrevehog, February 16, 2015, 11:54:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: shrevehog on February 16, 2015, 11:54:17 am
http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/98197/state-your-case-how-arkansas-makes-a-new-years-six-bowl
So as part of the critique the author mentions that our roster needs to step forward and beat the LSUs of the world.....gee, and here I thought we had beaten those clowns last season 17-0? I suppose I must have been dreaming that score. Who else knew?

COCHISE

So we're going to have to take a step forward to beat the LSU's of the world? Stepped on their asses 17-0 this year. I get what he's saying though, we need to do it on a consistent basis.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 16, 2015, 12:09:30 pm
So as part of the critique the author mentions that our roster needs to step forward and beat the LSUs of the world.....gee, and here I thought we had beaten those clowns last season 17-0? I suppose I must have been dreaming that score. Who else knew?

Yeah, he kind overlooked that but let's not allow that to blind us to the overall sentiment of the article. He is right. We have to not only be able to pass effectively when we want to, but when some team comes up with a game plan that manages to slow down, if not stuff our run game. I know, as we continue to develop that may not seem plausible, but playing in a very talented conference with very good coaching staffs, at some point or another, we are going to face that challenge and we need to be prepared for that eventuality.

My hope is that Enos brings more creativeness not only to the running game, but that he also finds ways to get receivers to bend routes and slip in between layers of coverage where routes don't appear identical to the Secondary each time that they are ran. That he also finds a way to occupy the Secondary with success between coverage layers and at times, drops it off to a RB on a swing route in the flat. And yes, there should be times that we attempt to stretch the field, even if thrown incomplete, just to make the Secondary have to respect the potential of that throw.

If we can find more success doing these things in the coming year, I suspect we will also rush for more yards as a team next year as well. We need 50-60 yards more per game out of our offense next season and it would be nice if 40 of those came from the passing game. If that happens, we may get more than 50-60 next year.
Go Hogs Go!

go hogues

Lots of backhanded compliments in that piece. Scarborough is a MASSIVE Bama homer though, so I'm not surprised.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

redeye

QuoteHow long has it been since Arkansas was expected to win a meaningful game? How many coaches ago was it?

Were we not favored against Ole Miss and/or LSU?  I know we were favored to beat Georgia, even though we lost.

josh_sec33

And the first comment is a delusional ASU fan.

Never fails. Lol
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

Tusks

I didn't read the 'crap'.  For the hogs to make a new years 6, the defense has to improve 20% and the offense 30%.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

reddogjcss

Writer is a idiot. Off season and compliments with punches. Idiot

rtr

The writer is a Bama homer and he is worried about the Hogs. That is good.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Murr

Quote from: COCHISE on February 16, 2015, 12:12:20 pm
So we're going to have to take a step forward to beat the LSU's of the world? Stepped on their asses 17-0 this year. I get what he's saying though, we need to do it on a consistent basis.

I expect those types of comments from a write whose title is "Alabama/SEC writer"

BrassNunchucks

Quote from: Murr on February 17, 2015, 11:38:31 pm
I expect those types of comments from a write whose title is "Alabama/SEC writer"

The last time we were good for an extended stretch, under Petrino, we had the most insufferable fans out there I think. I don't think we have necessarily the craziest fans in the SEC, although we're in the conversation, but we definitely have the most delusional. If Beliema gets us there again, maybe we should calm down a little. We all know how fast the worm can turn.

It was a positive article. Nothing to freak out about.

Locutus_of_Boar

The path to the NYD 6 is easy to predict:  Finish 2nd in the SECW.  That means 6-2 at worst.  Assuming a sweep at home that means a sweep of OM, UT, and A&M or two of those combined with an upset in Baton Rouge or Tuscaloosa.

Steef

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: COCHISE on February 16, 2015, 12:12:20 pm
understood. We did beat LSU last year, but lets all be real here.  We beat an LSU team that had been ravaged by defections to the NFL because they had so much talent from the year before.  Not minimizing what ARK did last year.  From where we were coming from, beating LSU was a great achievement.

But for several years now Arkansas's has had it schedule set up where they play Bama and LSU at home in the same year and now on the road in the same year.  In years where both LSU and BAMA come to Ark, its our chance to make big strides and beat a couple of the most talented teams in the country, but in years like this coming season, we have to sort of "pay the piper" as they say and go on the road to Tuscaloosa and Death Valley. Its brutal for any program to have to go to both places in the same year. 

I think anybody questioning the possibility/probability of the Hogs winning one or both of those games isnt necessarily "hating" on the Hogs, but just noting that its a tough tough task to win both of those games on top of the other road games like Ole Miss, for example. Its just a brutal brutal schedule.

go hogues

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on February 18, 2015, 07:11:03 am
understood. We did beat LSU last year, but lets all be real here.  We beat an LSU team that had been ravaged by defections to the NFL because they had so much talent from the year before.  Not minimizing what ARK did last year.  From where we were coming from, beating LSU was a great achievement.

But for several years now Arkansas's has had it schedule set up where they play Bama and LSU at home in the same year and now on the road in the same year.  In years where both LSU and BAMA come to Ark, its our chance to make big strides and beat a couple of the most talented teams in the country, but in years like this coming season, we have to sort of "pay the piper" as they say and go on the road to Tuscaloosa and Death Valley. Its brutal for any program to have to go to both places in the same year. 

I think anybody questioning the possibility/probability of the Hogs winning one or both of those games isnt necessarily "hating" on the Hogs, but just noting that its a tough tough task to win both of those games on top of the other road games like Ole Miss, for example. Its just a brutal brutal schedule.
We led at Death Valley going into the final minute in 2013 and I believe we were knocking on the door in 2012.

Those were the two darkest years in this program's history and we lost two very close games to LSU. One because we ran out of gas and one because our defensive coordinator had a brain fart.

It was a bad analogy by Scarborough. But when these biased writers have no idea about your team, other than what they read in a box score while on their knees with Bama, it's not surprising.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

DeltaBoy

He is right we could have won TAMU , BAMA and Mizzou last year but came up short.  I am excited about what could happen this fall.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.