Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spring Practice-- What do you want to see?

Started by Lake City Hog, February 15, 2015, 10:22:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawginbigd1

Quote from: ricepig on February 16, 2015, 07:36:49 pm
Hard to make determinations without seeing the complete picture all at once, or it would be for most.
I can tell you besides the issues I noticed in watching, from top to bottom our WR are bad to the bone in blocking, heck I seen them even make their own combo blocks. Scotty Thurman had the best one I saw, stoned the safety at the hash and then sprinted up on the CB outside the numbers. It was a clinic piece on how to block as aWR.

gawntrail

Quote from: Nuttcracker, Sweet! on February 16, 2015, 04:31:20 pm
Mostly the OL and LB positions, backup QBs, RBs and WRs who can get separation. My nephew claims we had "WRs running wide open all over the field" which only he could see because he watched all the games on tape...

If that was the case, either our coaches cannot see, don't watch tape or I believe we would have been recruiting a JC QB. I asked him if he saw any crop circles or UFOs flying over RRS since he was seeing things no one else did... no answer.

Also, let me add: I don't think we will see much of what Enos will bring to the offense until fall. I know, Captain Obvious, but anyone expecting a lot of pistol/4 WR sets is delusional.

We have 3 TEs who have seen a lot of action, Kraus is a redshirt the coaches like and we just signed 3, count 'em, 3 more TEs. Somehow, I don't think Cantrell, O'Grady and Gragg were brought in to stand on the sidelines watching a "greatest show on turf" or run and shoot offense...

BB has stated over and over we are going to run the ball no matter how many defenders are in the box, with play action passes mixed in. He did not bring in an OC to run the pistol with 4 WRs.

Some fans just cannot get it thru their heads that we no longer run Petrino's offense or anything similar and we won't be as long as BB is here...

I find it disheartening that some fans continue to think 4 wide single back under center, out of the gun/pistol is not compatible nor a simple alignment wrinkle in a smash mouth power offense philosophy.

Nothing short of monumental ego and/or absolute stupidity makes a coach run against superior box numbers 'no matter what'. 

Answer me this...

Exactly how does an offense work against superior numbers in a run first philosophy?

ricepig

Quote from: gawntrail on February 16, 2015, 08:07:36 pm
I find it disheartening that some fans continue to think 4 wide single back under center, out of the gun/pistol is not compatible nor a simple alignment wrinkle in a smash mouth power offense philosophy.

Nothing short of monumental ego and/or absolute stupidity makes a coach run against superior box numbers 'no matter what'. 

Answer me this...

Exactly how does an offense work against superior numbers in a run first philosophy?

By winning the LOS, that's his philosophy in a nutshell. You may need to switch teams if you expect something different.

gawntrail

Quote from: ricepig on February 16, 2015, 07:36:49 pm
Hard to make determinations without seeing the complete picture all at once, or it would be for most.

It would be nice to see every view.  But, to be honest, I don't need 22 angles to tell me what 1 or 2, 3 tops, is telling me.

ricepig

Quote from: gawntrail on February 16, 2015, 08:16:03 pm
It would be nice to see every view.  But, to be honest, I don't need 22 angles to tell me what 1 or 2, 3 tops, is telling me.

You do know the "22" view shows you all 22 players at once, the coach's film? We just hired an OC, did you put your name in?

gawntrail

Quote from: ricepig on February 16, 2015, 08:12:59 pm
By winning the LOS, that's his philosophy in a nutshell. You may need to switch teams if you expect something different.

Seriously?  How many defenders line up ON the LOS against us?  4? Sometimes 5 IF they walk the SS down AND SAM on to the line? 

Winning the LOS is a platitudinous throw away coaches use.  110%.  Play through the whistle.  Game of inches.  Etc...

Blocking the box through superior scheme, numbers, and technique at the point of attack.  THAT is power football 101.  You can't muscle through superior numbers as a general rule.  One dimensional, non creative types talk about developing a respectable passing game to counter a box loading defense.  But, that is laughable if EVERY single piece of game tape on current personnel proves you cannot realistically build a respectable passing game.  LAUGHABLE.

So, you take your existing power offense, arguably the best rushing attack in the country.... and add some jet motion to it.  Causes the force and/or edge defenders to RESPECT the outside threat.  Mix in some single back-4 wide formationing/shift/motioning to force defenders either out of superior box numbers or in to more responsibilities.  More responsibility equals less instinct and pure reaction and more thinking and hesitation.

Add some screens, mix in a draw, put in play action off of every run play and the rest is weekly opponent specific.

So simple, a hogville posting caveman can do it.

ricepig

Quote from: gawntrail on February 16, 2015, 08:36:08 pm
Seriously?  How many defenders line up ON the LOS against us?  4? Sometimes 5 IF they walk the SS down AND SAM on to the line? 

Winning the LOS is a platitudinous throw away coaches use.  110%.  Play through the whistle.  Game of inches.  Etc...

Blocking the box through superior scheme, numbers, and technique at the point of attack.  THAT is power football 101.  You can't muscle through superior numbers as a general rule.  One dimensional, non creative types talk about developing a respectable passing game to counter a box loading defense.  But, that is laughable if EVERY single piece of game tape on current personnel proves you cannot realistically build a respectable passing game.  LAUGHABLE.

So, you take your existing power offense, arguably the best rushing attack in the country.... and add some jet motion to it.  Causes the force and/or edge defenders to RESPECT the outside threat.  Mix in some single back-4 wide formationing/shift/motioning to force defenders either out of superior box numbers or in to more responsibilities.  More responsibility equals less instinct and pure reaction and more thinking and hesitation.

Add some screens, mix in a draw, put in play action off of every run play and the rest is weekly opponent specific.

So simple, a hogville posting caveman can do it.

Which is what we do if you watched any of our games........

gawntrail

Quote from: ricepig on February 16, 2015, 08:19:52 pm
You do know the "22" view shows you all 22 players at once, the coach's film? We just hired an OC, did you put your name in?

22 views was sarcasm.  Of course I don't have game film.  I'm relegated to whatever TV shows me.  That's why the reference to 1,2,3 angles to view a play.

Doesn't change the facts that a simple viewing of a game reveals that receivers were open, balls were inaccurate, the front rows were being shelled, read progressions were bailed on, and feet became happy.  Combined with not getting off LOS, not sitting down in zones, unable to properly read coverage and vary routes, no backs out, no backs to check to, and the inability to properly pass protect so some of the crap I listed could correct itself.

I have complete confidence that Enos, the paid professional, with the game tapes can properly assess and identify the issues.  If, not, then I should have put my name in.  And, so should many others for that matter.

ricepig

Quote from: gawntrail on February 16, 2015, 08:50:53 pm
22 views was sarcasm.  Of course I don't have game film.  I'm relegated to whatever TV shows me.  That's why the reference to 1,2,3 angles to view a play.

Doesn't change the facts that a simple viewing of a game reveals that receivers were open, balls were inaccurate, the front rows were being shelled, read progressions were bailed on, and feet became happy.  Combined with not getting off LOS, not sitting down in zones, unable to properly read coverage and vary routes, no backs out, no backs to check to, and the inability to properly pass protect so some of the crap I listed could correct itself.

I have complete confidence that Enos, the paid professional, with the game tapes can properly assess and identify the issues.  If, not, then I should have put my name in.  And, so should many others for that matter.

Chaney was paid or competent?

gawntrail

Quote from: ricepig on February 16, 2015, 08:40:06 pm
Which is what we do if you watched any of our games........

I don't have the games on DVD.  Anybody with all 13 games of 2014, TV copy is fine, I will break the film and make a spread sheet.  Just send it to me. 

Formation
Numbers against
Motion
Run/Pass
Outcome

Anything else that can be identified on broadcast TV that people want. 

Let's put this all to bed.

gawntrail

ricepig

Quote from: gawntrail on February 16, 2015, 09:08:53 pm
Chaney was paid AND incompetent. 

Well, he's sure fooled a lot of people and made a lot of money doing it. Now, I don't think he meshed with Bielema like they both thought, but incompetent isn't correct in this case.

gawntrail

Quote from: ricepig on February 16, 2015, 09:15:58 pm
Well, he's sure fooled a lot of people and made a lot of money doing it. Now, I don't think he meshed with Bielema like they both thought, but incompetent isn't correct in this case.
com·pe·tent
ˈkämpədənt/
adjective

-having the necessary ability, knowledge, or skill to do something successfully.

-(of a person) efficient and capable.

-acceptable and satisfactory, though not outstanding.

in·com·pe·tent
inˈkämpədənt/
adjective

-not having or showing the necessary skills to do something successfully.

-----

Chaney, given 2 years, proved to be incompetent.

ricepig

Quote from: gawntrail on February 16, 2015, 09:30:30 pm
com·pe·tent
ˈkämpədənt/
adjective

-having the necessary ability, knowledge, or skill to do something successfully.

-(of a person) efficient and capable.

-acceptable and satisfactory, though not outstanding.

in·com·pe·tent
inˈkämpədənt/
adjective

-not having or showing the necessary skills to do something successfully.

-----

Chaney, given 2 years, proved to be incompetent.

That's an opinion........

duckman

Quote from: ricepig on February 16, 2015, 09:37:01 pm
That's an opinion........

For some, water under the bridge...

We will be better on offense though.

razorback44

Quote from: gawntrail on February 16, 2015, 08:29:00 am
4 QBs getting snaps w/ 1s.

Wider line splits

These two aren't happening so don't get your hopes up.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

gawntrail

Quote from: razorback44 on February 16, 2015, 11:59:57 pm
These two aren't happening so don't get your hopes up.

My hopes are up for improvement, success, and victory.  The manner in which those ends are met does not matter to me. 

8-10 wins this coming season would be good-great progress.  Looking forward to whatever changes/adjustments put more points on the board. 

ricepig

Quote from: duckman on February 16, 2015, 11:27:58 pm
For some, water under the bridge...

We will be better on offense though.

One would hope, Chaney was good for that first scripted drive, after that, a lot of WTH??

While I do not know a great deal about the Xs and Os of football, I do know that the University of Arkansas pays lots of cash money to coaches who are supposed to know.

I also know that what the HC desires for his schemes and formations is usually what a team ends up with, meaning that someway, somehow, a team manages to eventually showcase what the HC likes.

Hootie was the exception.   He was just an idiot.  Petrino wanted to throw the ball and he took a very poor passing team and changed it within 2 years inot a very decent throwing team and BB likes power and in 2 years, he took that passing squad and turned it into a power running team.

So when BB desires better WR play, we'll have it.  When BB desires a more accurate QB who operates that position better, we'll have it, when BB desires a better mix of running the football, we'll have it.  When BB wants a second string QB that he isn't afraid to put in the damn ballgame, we'll have it.  What ever HCs believe in and desire the most, they get.

Maybe Chaney leaving is the start of desiring and seeing to it that certain of these things that I think I see we need will be solved but its all up to BB. 

Lake City Hog

Guys, I'm not asking about the season. I'm asking what do you want to see us accomplish this spring?

Something, a very critical thing, is that I would love for Enos to say that he is comfortable enough with our current offense to simply tweak a few things to make us better. If he tells us that we don't need to scrap the O and start all over it would be HUGE!

TheRazorback500

On defense I want to see continuing improvement and added depth in the secondary and see who is going to step up and replace the playmakers in the front 7 that we lost.

I want to see us build a solid two-deep OL and Robinson and Reed (if eligible)
to compliment Hatcher at WR as we try to achieve an even greater offensive balance.

I also want Hedlund to realize his potential and give us hope for a consistent kicking game in the fall.

:razorback:

Do you wanna get Rocked?

Cletus

Quote from: Cletus on February 16, 2015, 10:58:46 am
Not necessarily in spring practice, but I want to see the ball driven deep in the passing game, more fullback/H-back sets in the running game, and less tell from the formation in the run game.

Maybe Kody Walker will emerge in that role, IDK.
Does Enos use a fullback/H-Back?
See, what had happened was........

redswarmrising

Quote from: MissippHog on February 16, 2015, 01:51:09 pm
Cheerleaders.  Back-handsprings, roundouts, blonde hair, short skirts and midriffs.  That's what I want to see.

i 2nd that

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Lake City Hog on February 17, 2015, 08:22:05 pm
Guys, I'm not asking about the season. I'm asking what do you want to see us accomplish this spring?

Something, a very critical thing, is that I would love for Enos to say that he is comfortable enough with our current offense to simply tweak a few things to make us better. If he tells us that we don't need to scrap the O and start all over it would be HUGE!

He has already (essentially) said that. But, he also said that he had a few things that he wanted to add, one of which was screen passes.
Go Hogs Go!

flynhog

After the spring game, i want to see fear in opposing coaches eyes as they talk about the Hogs.
Wins are the only things that matter when the game ends.  The mistakes that happen in the game are corrected by good coaching during the week. A season of near losses means you won every game.

Lake City Hog

After listening to Enos the other day, I want to see(hear) the O'Line talking about how fun it is to block for screen passes. I want to hear BA say that he expects the screen to help slow down some of these fast defensive ends.

But, what I want to hear more than anything is that with our new OC "separation speed" isn't quite as important as maybe we thought it was. That maybe running routes that utilize ALL of the receivers in such a way as to HELP create separation was the thing that we were missing.

Tusks

What do I want to see at spring practice.......an effect passing game to keep 8 out of the box.

And a defense that is better than last years.

If that hogs get 20% better on D and 30% better on O then they have a VERY good chance to make it to ATL.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Reservoir Hogs

Quote from: tusked on February 21, 2015, 11:46:34 am
What do I want to see at spring practice.......an effect passing game to keep 8 out of the box.

And a defense that is better than last years.

If that hogs get 20% better on D and 30% better on O then they have a VERY good chance to make it to ATL.

A D that is 20% than LY is going to be hard to do... We finished the season with a top 10 D.  If we can be as good as LY that will be a hell of job for these coaches...

ricepig

Quote from: Reservoir Hogs on February 23, 2015, 10:04:39 am
A D that is 20% than LY is going to be hard to do... We finished the season with a top 10 D.  If we can be as good as LY that will be a hell of job for these coaches...

Yeah, if we finish only 20% worse than next year will be good.

Rockhawg

On the " O " i want to see our Line get that third and one tough yard when everybody in the stadium knows we are going to run the ball. I want to see a more athletic line that can run a screen pass. I want to see a WR get seperation on a corner. On the " D ", same toughness, and more pressure from our D-ends. More speed at safety. I want to see someone step up at kicker and punter. WPS

smb

I know this is probably wishing too much. But I want to see a top 5 defensive performance. Wow! what a defensive improvement last year.
GeorgiaHOG

NeverYeild

1) I want to see the receiver's make some big plays.

2) I don't want to see the defense give up any big plays.

Wait a minute....

wholehog92

Quote from: wholehog92 on February 16, 2015, 11:07:49 am
1.  I want to see a game-breaker emerge on offense.  A defense stretcher vertically and or horizontally.
2.  I want to hear a backup QB the coaches are confident in.
3.  I would love to hear that BA is continuing to improve.
4.  I want to hear the coaches are happy with our LBs and safeties.
5.  We need a leader to emerge on the DL.
6.  I don't want to hear about any significant injuries.
7.  A 3rd string RB/change of pace guy needs to emerge.
8.  Screens implemented into our offense as an option.
1.  Not really
2.  Seems like Austin picked his game up and we have a competition.  I didn't really hear the coaches declare any confidence though.  Call that a sort of.
3.  Check.
4.  Did hear some of that.  Check.
5.  Didn't hear much about leadership among those guys, but did hear a lot about competition with each other which is good. A dui doesn't look good in the leadership category.  I'm going to have to say no dice here.
6.  Juan Day was a big deal.  No
7.  Kody Walker for the win here.
8.  Aaaaand check.

4.5/8.  What we got was really important.  Overall, I'd say a good spring.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: wholehog92 on May 08, 2015, 11:09:38 am
1.  Not really
2.  Seems like Austin picked his game up and we have a competition.  I didn't really hear the coaches declare any confidence though.  Call that a sort of.
3.  Check.
4.  Did hear some of that.  Check.
5.  Didn't hear much about leadership among those guys, but did hear a lot about competition with each other which is good. A dui doesn't look good in the leadership category.  I'm going to have to say no dice here.
6.  Juan Day was a big deal.  No
7.  Kody Walker for the win here.
8.  Aaaaand check.

4.5/8.  What we got was really important.  Overall, I'd say a good spring.
I think some more of those will be answered before the season.  Reed is supposed to be a defense stretcher, and JoJo may get things together yet.  I think we are going to be ok at #2/3 QB.  DL is so deep, the competition may keep them moving forward.  Hopefully, we avoid more injuries.  If we do, this could be a special season.
All Gas, No Brakes!

PaintballHog

Quote from: PaintballHog on February 16, 2015, 10:27:44 am
Offense

1. I want the receiving core go from the worst position on offense to one of the best. Would be nice to hear reports of of JoJo and Reed just tearing it up.

2. Leader on the Oline emerge. With Cook gone, we need that group to have a commander on the battlefield.

3. TE utilized in any way possible. SCREENS please.

4. BA to continue the progression he had last year. Would like to hear Storey living up to the hype from the coaches.

5. Who will be next in line behind Williams and Collins? We need to have someone break away from the pack or else we'll have to land at least two highly rated rbs in the next class.

Defense

1. The rookies on Dline. Who can we save with redshirts and who do we need to fill in on Dline after losing flowers and philon? Dline is the position that I'm not worried at all about depth, wouldn't be surprised if all the rookies redshirted and Ledbetter be the only one we see next year. Although Bell and Denmark may be too good to keep on the bench...

2. Linebackers. I would like the conversation shift from "young talent" to "solid core". We have two good LBs (3 counting greenlaw) come in as rookies that I think need a year to adjust to SEC play. Need the guys already here to step up.

3. Secondary. It seems like we have a solid pool of players, but nobody has a spot locked up. Anyone can step up a tiny bit during spring practices and make huge leaps up the depth charts. I want to see guys win the spot and work to own it. Last year they were excellent at capitalizing on ints and pass blocks, but I want to see an emergence of a punisher. A guy that may get acouple targeting penalties during the year, but when an opposing receivers want to go across the middle, they will think twice.

For special teams, I just want the kickers we gave scholarships to actually be worth the scholarship they're taking up.

I'm normally not this critical of the team, this is just me nit picking. The team was playing incredible last year and I expect them to keep improving. WPS

Offense:

1. Don't know why I mentioned Reed. Herp Derp. Anyway Hatcher seems to be the leader which is good. I'm still holding out for JoJo and Reed fly up the depth chart by the start of the season.

2. A leader didn't emerge, but I don't think one needs to. This unit seems to be all equals and it's working.

3. Done

4. BA looked great. Storey impressed the coaches, but still needs work. He will continue to grow under CDE.

5. Done

Defense

1. Dline will not need the rookies, but Froholdt is too good to keep off the field. The whole country is in for a rude awakening from this group. This is without Bell getting on campus yet...

2. This group will be fine. Still needs depth, which the 2(3) rookies will bring. 

3. The starters have emerged. The group has swagger. This will be a very proud group by the end of next year. No fly zone.

wholehog92

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 08, 2015, 11:37:18 am
I think some more of those will be answered before the season.  Reed is supposed to be a defense stretcher, and JoJo may get things together yet.  I think we are going to be ok at #2/3 QB.  DL is so deep, the competition may keep them moving forward.  Hopefully, we avoid more injuries.  If we do, this could be a special season.

Completely agree.  No RB/QB injuries and very limited LB injuries and we could have a really good year.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

bennyl08

Quote from: PaintballHog on May 08, 2015, 12:23:31 pm

5. Done

Sort of done. Your post mentioned "or else we will have to find two highly rated backs for next class. The third guy to emerge is a senior this year, so I mean it's not as much a next in line but another guy for this season (though again, he's had good springs before, how many carries he gets next year is still a mystery).
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse