Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Philon's Big Mistake

Started by trashcan maN, February 12, 2015, 02:42:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

trashcan maN

February 12, 2015, 02:42:26 pm Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 04:01:39 pm by trashcan maN
Kiper has him as a solid 2nd rounder per a segment today on ESPN. #8 DT overall.

Has him to DAL in 2nd round.

Turns out his big mistake may not have been a mistake at all. Good luck to this young man. Great kid.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/134045/darius-philon

TexasRazorback

Quote from: trashcan maN on February 12, 2015, 02:42:26 pm
Kiper has him as a solid 2nd rounder per a segment today on ESPN. #8 DT overall.

Dont see what the big mistake is? He gets hurt next year could cost him his entire career. He is an undersized DT in the NFL going to Dallas in the 2nd round is great for him. Wish him nothing but the best and glad he called the Hogs as long as he did

trashcan maN

Quote from: TexasRazorback on February 12, 2015, 02:47:05 pm
Dont see what the big mistake is? He gets hurt next year could cost him his entire career. He is an undersized DT in the NFL going to Dallas in the 2nd round is great for him. Wish him nothing but the best and glad he called the Hogs as long as he did
I thought the sarcasm would be obvious. I'm sorry

Virgil

Turns out his big mistake may not have been a mistake at all. Good luck to this young man. Great kid.

I don't see that happening.  Dallas hardly ever drafts Razorbacks.  I'm thinking he'll go late 3rd round or later.
It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

TexasRazorback

Quote from: trashcan maN on February 12, 2015, 02:48:27 pm
On HV who knows haha. all good bud

trashcan maN

Quote from: Virgil on February 12, 2015, 02:51:40 pm
I don't see that happening.  Dallas hardly ever drafts Razorbacks.  I'm thinking he'll go late 3rd round or later.
Kiper actually specifically said he could jump with a good combine.

I'm not going to act like I thought he would be in this position. I thought he was a round 3-4 guy, but it sounds to me that Kiper thinks he's a very solid 2nd rounder with 1st round potential.

ricepig

Quote from: trashcan maN on February 12, 2015, 02:53:25 pm

I'm not going to act like I thought he would be in this position. I thought he was a round 3-4 guy, but it sounds to me that Kiper thinks he's a very solid 2nd rounder with 1st round potential.

I don't keep up with Mel or any of the guys that predict rounds, how accurate are they?

The_Iceman

Hogginout

I feel that he will be taken in the second a 2 technique tackles are in high demand, plus there are going to be a few on them moving through free agency and those teams will be looking for replacements. I also think if Philon was 6'3 or 6'4 he would be a 1st rounder.
Hogs 4 Life

trashcan maN

trashcan maN

Quote from: ricepig on February 12, 2015, 03:02:43 pm
I don't keep up with Mel or any of the guys that predict rounds, how accurate are they?
Within a round or so. If he has Philon as the #8 DT on draft day, he will be taken by the end of the 3rd.

ricepig

Quote from: trashcan maN on February 12, 2015, 03:17:14 pm
Within a round or so. If he has Philon as the #8 DT on draft day, he will be taken by the end of the 3rd.

Ok, how correct are his ratings? I seem to remember there always being guys on his big board, or ratings that fall down a lot further that he picked.

trashcan maN

Quote from: ricepig on February 12, 2015, 03:20:05 pm
Ok, how correct are his ratings? I seem to remember there always being guys on his big board, or ratings that fall down a lot further that he picked.
I'm not sure man. I know that he bases his big board more on what he is told by GMs than his own evaluation, so if a guy is projected to be drafted in a certain round come draft day, it's normally pretty accurate because he gets great info from the guys doing the drafting.

Peter Porker

He could get hurt at Arkansas as well. He could also be a 3-4 DE And he's not too small for that. He could be another Sheldon Richardso.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

varrichione

Two players ever I believe. Felix and maybe a lineman in the 70s?

Peter Porker

Quote from: Hogginout on February 12, 2015, 03:10:18 pm
I feel that he will be taken in the second a 2 technique tackles are in high demand, plus there are going to be a few on them moving through free agency and those teams will be looking for replacements. I also think if Philon was 6'3 or 6'4 he would be a 1st rounder.

He's listed as 6-3. Probably closer to 6-2 though.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

sickboy

Dallas, like every NFL team, drafts who they think is the best player available that fits their needs. They don't care what school a kid went to.

What I'm saying is you can't look at a coincidence and derive a probable outcome. That's not logical. Think about it... the MAJORITY of NFL teams never draft Arkansas Razorbacks... so...

The_Boot_stops_here

I was very disappointed to see him leave but now that he has, the higher he goes the better....it will reflect well on the program

Atlhogfan1

Getting drafted by the end of the 3rd would be a fantastic outcome for Philon. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

phadedhawg

hoping for the best.  I was in the crowd that thought he should have stayed but that might be more motivated by self interest than his NFL prospects.

hawginbigd1

I don't know about Mel's percentage of misses, but if he ever gets one right I hope it is this one, it would slightly soothe my heartache from Philon leaving early if he ended up with my Boys!

LRHawg

Thanks for the link.

I would be happy if he landed in Dallas. That's a great D that he could learn a lot in.

HF#1

Darius may be slightly undersized but has a great motor and uses great technique.  I suspect he will do well in the NFL.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Swine-as-wine

bennyl08

The accuracy is weakest right now and improves as the drafting season progresses.  A lot people didn't have Cam Newton in the first round when he declared. After the combine and later, pretty much everyone had him somewhere in the top 5, and later on most had him #1 overall.

The recent success of Aaron Donald and Geno Atkins (he's not AS undersized but still a bit) works in Philon's favor. Philon's arm length and weight will be very important for him. However, he also needs to make sure he doesn't make the mistake of trying to add too much weight before the combine that he then loses his quickness and speed.

Aaron Donald came in at 6'1, 285 as a DT and was taken 13th overall in last year's draft. However, he ran a ridiculous 4.62 forty, put up 35 on the bench, jumped 32", and just put on a show. Philon is very athletic, but he is not to that level. However, if he can be a shadow of that, he can carve out a good career.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

DoctorSusscrofa

Great! So we don't even have to watch the draft at all. Mel has already drafted him and he's rich. Glad to hear it.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Exit Pursued by a Boar

I didn't want him to go, and also thought it was a BIG mistake.  If he's a second rounder, I was wrong, wrong, wrong.  All the best to a great HOG!!!

EFBAB

CabotHog87

It's only because he was initially a Saban recruit

FORTVEGAS

I am glad to hear this. Hope he does well for himself.

longpig

Well, I guess Mr. Philon can go ahead and buy that seaside mansion for Mom and Dad after this good news from Mel Kiper.
Don't be scared, be smart.

rzrbk4life

Hope he does well in the NFL. Played his heart out for the hogs. Best of luck Darius!
Let's call those hogs!!!!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: trashcan maN on February 12, 2015, 03:21:09 pm
I'm not sure man. I know that he bases his big board more on what he is told by GMs than his own evaluation, so if a guy is projected to be drafted in a certain round come draft day, it's normally pretty accurate because he gets great info from the guys doing the drafting.

How do you know this? I've read and heard some GM's and NFL executives skewer the guy and think he is an idiot. I bet he gets his info just like a lot of others and not directly from GM's. If he does get his information from teams personnel and not his own evaluations then he isn't the draft expert and analyst he touts himself to be. He would then only be relaying second hand information which doesn't make him an "analyst or expert".
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

checkraiser88

Wasn't there a 6 page thread with the majority of you guys saying it was a mistake? Now the tune has changed, nice!

trashcan maN

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 12, 2015, 05:45:57 pm
How do you know this? I've read and heard some GM's and NFL executives skewer the guy and think he is an idiot. I bet he gets his info just like a lot of others and not directly from GM's. If he does get his information from teams personnel and not his own evaluations then he isn't the draft expert and analyst he touts himself to be. He would then only be relaying second hand information which doesn't make him an "analyst or expert".
The only knowledge I have is based on the fact that I listen to ESPN radio every day to and from work. I've heard Kiper talk on several different shows over several years.

He's open about the fact that he bases his draft rankings on 'what he's hearing' from GMs on how much they like certain players as well as team needs.

onebadrubi

We would have insured him for more then his first contract, I'd almost guarantee that.  See the South Carolina RB, lattimore

lefty08

Quote from: trashcan maN on February 12, 2015, 02:48:27 pm

It was........

Some are too much on the defensive to read an entire post
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

lahawg1

We will all know if he did the right thing or made a mistake by May 3rd.

hawgmasta

Would love for him to go to Dallas. A good team that needs help and is successful.

HOGINTENNESSEE

February 12, 2015, 07:15:09 pm #38 Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 08:48:52 pm by HOGINTENNESSEE
At this point I want Philon to go as high as possible. That's what's best for him and the University

I think Philon will be better than 3rd round and closer to end of first round.  This Kid played in the backfields of some durn good college teams and he didn't have 10 other Studs helping him out on D.  We had 2 really good defenders counting Philon and another 1 or 2 real decent and not much else.  He is good.

Dropkick

I hope he plays great and they recount the story over and over of how he got to Arkansas after Saban reneged on him.

code red

I said this all along.  Philon played vs best teams in the nation.  Just wait until combines he will climb.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

arlhog

wish the young man the very best.   he gave us his best for 3 years.   

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Kiper and McShay are never wrong.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

onebadrubi

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on February 12, 2015, 10:40:35 pm
Kiper and McShay are never wrong.

Ala Blaine gabbert and what was that ole miss QB a couple years ago they raved about so he came out early then didn't even get drafted?

trashcan maN

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 12, 2015, 11:40:38 pm
Ala Blaine gabbert and what was that ole miss QB a couple years ago they raved about so he came out early then didn't even get drafted?
Jevan Snead

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: trashcan maN on February 12, 2015, 02:53:25 pm

If he goes 1st round it will show DL recruits that you don't need Saban to get to the NFL in the 1st round...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

PEtrader

I am guessing you don't watch much draft coverage.  Kiper is just a talking head, and is usually way off.

He will be lucky if he is taken at all.  I will come on here and eat crow if I am wrong. 
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

TexasRazorback

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 12, 2015, 06:00:27 pm
We would have insured him for more then his first contract, I'd almost guarantee that.  See the South Carolina RB, lattimore

Being insured for one contract doent insure the rest of his life. Say he gets hurt geets insured and then what cant play football, what do you do now. Go pro early avoid injury in college get first contract play well possibly sign 3 or 4 more contracts throughout your career. your point is irrelavent with Lattimore. He got drafted paid and now out of the league becuase of his injury, wht does he do the next 60 yrs of his life now that hes out of football 10 yrs too soon...?

WooPig90

Quote from: PEtrader on February 13, 2015, 07:13:28 am
I am guessing you don't watch much draft coverage.  Kiper is just a talking head, and is usually way off.

He will be lucky if he is taken at all.  I will come on here and eat crow if I am wrong.

If he is taken at all? Really? Delete your account when hes drafted.