Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs in movie.

Started by itsonlyagame, November 17, 2015, 07:03:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

itsonlyagame

I saw the movie "My All American", the story of Freddie Steinmark, a Longhorn defensive back . The centerpiece of the story is the 1969 Shootout for the national championship. The story was written by Jim Dent and directed by Angelo Pizzo (Rudy & Hoosiers). The '69 game was recreated and filmed this summer here in San Antonio inside the Alamodome. They used former college football players, former Texas QB Case McCoy plays Bill Montgomery. The uniforms and all the plays of the game are spot on. Hollywood takes the on field action and puts it in Razorback Stadium on a grey overcast day with hoghatted fans in the stands. The action follows what actually happen that day. This movie is as good if not better than "Rudy". It opened in San Antonio this past weekend.WPS.

ChemEHawg

I read up on Freddie after I heard about the movie. I wasn't alive in '69, but I'm looking forward to see the movie of The Game. Too bad it's told from the other side, but still excited nonetheless.

WPS
Thanks for all the info.  Will probably stick to one of the places close to the hotel so that if I have a few too many I can stagger back.  Nothing better than your kids seeing you drunk.  I don't look at it as a bad example but rather a cautionary tale.<br /><br />-Dwight_K_Shrute<br /><br />I can't wait to have kids...

HamIAm

The previews have looked good.  But that just sounds like a downer of a movie knowing how it ends.

Iwastherein1969

I was there with my Pops...west side 40 yd line and 30 rows up...Nixon and Bush walked very close to us...hardly any Secret Service in those days...I remember it well....what I remember most is how hazy it was, had warmed up into the low 40's from the 30's the day before...I can see the field as though it were yesterday...the smell of cigarettes, cigars, whiskey....I was like a kid in a candy store...that morning at breakfast at the Holiday Inn, I saw Orville Henry for the first time and he was talking to someone and I got his autograph on one of those old yellow with green lettering napkins....again, all I smelled was the bacon and the cigarettes...times have changed, wow
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: ChemEHawg on November 17, 2015, 07:09:28 pm
I read up on Freddie after I heard about the movie. I wasn't alive in '69, but I'm looking forward to see the movie of The Game. Too bad it's told from the other side, but still excited nonetheless.

WPS
that was the year that the UA band was not allowed to play DIXIE...so at the Greek Ampitheater for the pep rally the night before, some people living in the apartments right across the street brought their huge speakers out and played DIXIE during the whole Pep Rally...It was legend that the UT players went to see the original TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE the night before...I don't know, but they sure played scared for 3 quarters...great memories

14erHog

We were sitting on the bus one day and there were 5 of us hanging out. There was only one beer left in the cooler and we actually all took a little cup and split it. It was a pathetic day in a rock and roll when five grown men have to be sitting there sharing a beer.
Zakk Wylde

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.
Thomas Jefferson

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
Ronald Reagan

Old Tusk

There for the original. Don't need a replay.
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

ricepig

Quote from: Old Tusk on November 17, 2015, 07:25:23 pm
There for the original. Don't need a replay.

Yep, I was 11, we were up visiting my oldest brother who was a sophomore. I'm pretty sure I cried that day, haha.

jkstock04

Sounds like a pretty cool movie...other than the ending like someone else said. I wasn't close to being alive then...but my old man told me a story I thought was pretty cool.

He was younger teens, evidently they had good season tickets down close on the 50...and had a couple extra at last minute. Said he stood outside and sold those two tickets for $25 bucks a piece. Evidently that was a lot of money back then. Said he sold them to a tall man wearing a fancy cowboy hat...turned out to be a Texas state senator or something like that. He didn't wanna pay that much for them but dad told him that's the only way he was gonna get in the game lol.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

PonderinHog

I wonder if JFB will watch it.

itsonlyagame

If you see the movie, yes we still lose the game but the Razorbacks will win the audience's respect. I promise. A great true story of a young man.

3kgthog

I've never watched a movie about a Longhorn and I don't plan to start now.

I think some of you that were alive in '69 just enjoy a kick in the sack. Why would you ever watch anything that relives that moment for you? I lived through the Stoernover aka Stumble Fumble and I will never re-watch that game. Not with my future children, not with my wife, not alone if it were the only DVD I had left. Never.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Who did they get to play me?  I was on the 40 yard line on the west side too, Iwastherein1969. 
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

itsonlyagame

Quote from: 3kgthog on November 17, 2015, 08:31:37 pm

I think some of you that were alive in '69 just enjoy a kick in the sack. Why would you ever watch anything that relives that moment for you? I lived through the Stoernover aka Stumble Fumble and I will never re-watch that game. Not with my future children, not with my wife, not alone if it were the only DVD I had left. Never.
Watch the movie then get back to me.

itsonlyagame

Quote from: PonderinHog on November 17, 2015, 08:01:12 pm
I wonder if JFB will watch it.
A San Antonio high school (Judson High) coach plays CFB and wears the exact same outfit CFB wore that day, red Corrigan sweater & Razorback ball cap.

PorkSoda

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on November 17, 2015, 08:41:18 pm
Who did they get to play me?  I was on the 40 yard line on the west side too, Iwastherein1969. 
methuselah
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

itsonlyagame

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on November 17, 2015, 07:11:10 pm
I was there with my Pops...west side 40 yd line and 30 rows up...Nixon and Bush walked very close to us...hardly any Secret Service in those days...I remember it well....what I remember most is how hazy it was, had warmed up into the low 40's from the 30's the day before...I can see the field as though it were yesterday...the smell of cigarettes, cigars, whiskey....I was like a kid in a candy store...that morning at breakfast at the Holiday Inn, I saw Orville Henry for the first time and he was talking to someone and I got his autograph on one of those old yellow with green lettering napkins....again, all I smelled was the bacon and the cigarettes...times have changed, wow
They attend to every detail in the movie including a close up of the Arkansas huddle in which you see beads of drizzle on the Razorback helmets.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ricepig on November 17, 2015, 07:34:03 pm
Yep, I was 11, we were up visiting my oldest brother who was a sophomore. I'm pretty sure I cried that day, haha.
Your bro and I were apparently the same class, if not the same age. Remember the game (and day) all too well even after all these many years. One of the coldest days, spitting sleet and stiff wind all day long, along with a marvelous game (at least for three quarters), then.....

The only thing that actually turned out right was afterwards with my lovely date (a very amply endowed young lady from Fayetteville) who took me home to have a great meal with her family, and sip more than a few very good whiskies with her dad. Very nice guy who was actually a prof at the U of A. at the time. He and I commiserated well into the night. And the daughter...well, I must have done something very right as she later became my wife.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

FreshHog

Saw it this past weekend... I think it did a great job of portraying the hogs. Showed us a lot of respect to be quite honest. We were really taking it to them, the ref [CENSORED] us as usual though. :P

UrsisHoribilis

Did they show the Texas player holding the Razorback in the end zone in the 4th quarter?  I remember being cold sitting in the sleet and that play that wasn't called.

RazorbackToTheFuture

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on November 17, 2015, 09:00:52 pm
Your bro and I were apparently the same class, if not the same age. Remember the game (and day) all too well even after all these many years. One of the coldest days, spitting sleet and stiff wind all day long, along with a marvelous game (at least for three quarters), then.....

The only thing that actually turned out right was afterwards with my lovely date (a very amply endowed young lady from Fayetteville) who took me home to have a great meal with her family, and sip more than a few very good whiskies with her dad. Very nice guy who was actually a prof at the U of A. at the time. He and I commiserated well into the night. And the daughter...well, I must have done something very right as she later became my wife.

JONAS

When is the Brandon Burlsworth movie coming out?

Paul

I was 11 too.  After the game I shot basketball in the cold rain so my family couldn't see me crying.

Tejano Jawg

I've seen the previews a couple times. I had to freeze-frame it to see what I thought I saw—the Shootout. I don't know the story of this guy, but kinda interested.

I saw the documentary on the Shootout a few years ago. In fact, I went to the Dallas premier. If I can survive that, I can handle the new movie.

FYI, here's an article and clip about it—
http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2013/apr/11/documentary-highlights-1969-big-shootout/
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

HamIAm

November 17, 2015, 10:15:18 pm #25 Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 10:25:56 pm by HamIAm
Quote from: Tejano Jawg on November 17, 2015, 09:50:36 pm
I've seen the previews a couple times. I had to freeze-frame it to see what I thought I saw—the Shootout. I don't know the story of this guy, but kinda interested.

I saw the documentary on the Shootout a few years ago. In fact, I went to the Dallas premier. If I can survive that, I can handle the new movie.

FYI, here's an article and clip about it—
http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2013/apr/11/documentary-highlights-1969-big-shootout/

The shootout apparently plays a large role in the movie, but its not about the shootout. Think more along the line of a Texas version of Brandon Burlsworth. The shootout just came along at a crucial point.

HamIAm

Quote from: JONAS on November 17, 2015, 09:22:14 pm
When is the Brandon Burlsworth movie coming out?

According to the Internet Movie Database website, January 22, 2016.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2950418/

kp72204

I've read comments here, saying we got screwed in that game. If it was reversed and we won, would there still be a movie made?

itsonlyagame

Quote from: kp72204 on November 17, 2015, 11:06:16 pm
I've read comments here, saying we got screwed in that game. If it was reversed and we won, would there still be a movie made?
Probably not unless one of our starters was discovered to have bone cancer and died.

EastTexasHog

Texas and Arkansas should play every year.  Neither has a true rivalry game at this time.  Should be a home and home game, Fayetteville and Austin.  Would be much better than Arkansas v. Missouri and Texas v. Baylor.

Laughing Hog

I was 9 when we played that game. Football and especially Hog football were a major part of my life at the time.

You weren't the only one that cried that day. That game still gets to me to this day. We whooped them on the field all day long, just not on the scoreboard.
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

Dumb ole famrboy

Quote from: 3kgthog on November 17, 2015, 08:31:37 pm

You will not watch it with your wife?
You'll never watch it in your life?
But
Would you watch it in a box?
Would you watch it with a fox?
Would you watch it on a boat?
Would you watch it with a goat?

Inhogswetrust

When a successful movie comes out such as The Blindside then one can bet others like it will follow.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Supermark101

Quote from: EastTexasHog on November 18, 2015, 03:33:31 am
Texas and Arkansas should play every year.  Neither has a true rivalry game at this time.  Should be a home and home game, Fayetteville and Austin.  Would be much better than Arkansas v. Missouri and Texas v. Baylor.

Just move A&m to a home and home, and do Texas in Dallas. I think thye'd restart the A&M game before us, though

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Quote from: Supermark101 on November 18, 2015, 06:18:00 am
Just move A&m to a home and home, and do Texas in Dallas. I think thye'd restart the A&M game before us, though

Texas already does a game in Dallas every year.  I can't see that changing.

Supermark101

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on November 18, 2015, 07:28:19 am

Not when OU joins the SEC  ;) But your right. I didn't think of that.

Tusks

Should've kicked the dang FG.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Craig O Squeal

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on November 18, 2015, 07:28:19 am
Bevo does Dallas. Now THAT would be a movie!

DeltaBoy

I rewatched the 1969 game on 8mm Film in College I never want to see it again. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

rickm1976

I cried that day, and the day after, and the day after, .........

PigTales

I did cry!! My parents started buying season tickets in the early 60's our seats were on the West side about the 35-40 yd line about 25 30 rows up. Nixon and Bush landied in a helicopter just south of the stadium where the New Football complex is now. Our seats were not to far from where they were setting.  Also Billy Graham said the prayer!! What a day... What an ERA ... The day was as gray as my soul later that afternoon. Someone said they remember the temperature being in the 40's but I remember it being REALY COLD!!

This was the beginning of many a heartbreak for this loyal Razorback fan!!

Iwastherein1969

only reason we had two tickets and they were so good (40 yd line, west sde) was my father was a State Representative from Ouachita County(Camden, Stephens, etc), anyway in those days the UA gave complimentary tickets (2) to each member of the Arkansas State General Assembly and my Pops began his 24 year run of public service in 1967....perfect timing for the Game of the Century and tickets to every Bowl....saw '76 Cotton Bowl v UGA, '78 Orange Bowl in Miami (was cold and rainy all week), then the Sugar Bowl v Bama a couple years later and of course the Cotton Bowls in the late 80's against UCLA (as overmatched as I've ever seen an ARK team) and UT the following year in a game we should have won...seems like I remember a couple of key fumbles inside he 10 when we were marching in for the put away score....was it Rouse ?  can't remember

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: FreshHog on November 17, 2015, 09:04:47 pm
Saw it this past weekend... I think it did a great job of portraying the hogs. Showed us a lot of respect to be quite honest. We were really taking it to them, the ref [CENSORED] us as usual though. :P
the one call they missed on our part was the clip on Cliff Powell when James Street made that long run for a TD....but we got a call early in the game when they called John Rees in bounds inside the Texas 5 yard line on a deep out pass from Bill Montgomery..Rees landed at least 5 feet out of bounds, but the ref got caught up in the moment and called it a good catch, which led to two plays later, Bill Burnett sky-diving over the left side of the Arkansas line for a TD...Burnett had to have an unbelievable vertical leap