Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

IDEA FOR IMPROVING TAILGATING IN FAYETTEVILLE

Started by A Boy Named Sue E., October 11, 2005, 03:21:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

A Boy Named Sue E.

Why not open up the lawn in front of Ole Main just like they do at the Quad in Alabama? You guys that have been to the Quad in Alabama know what I'm talking about. Man, the people lay out the blankets, bring the picnic baskets, crank up the grills, ice down the cold drinks, hook up Satellite t.v.'s that have other college games going on, guys are throwing the football around the yard while their gals are hangin' out looking beautiful, etc. All of this amidst tall, hundred year old oak trees with the 'Bama band warming up nearby. It's awesome, and the area we have around Ole Main is just as suited for such a thing. I'm sure there's a million "reasons" why we can't do that here, but I doubt I'd like to know what they are. Anybody?

A Boy Named Sue E.

Woops, I WOULD like to know what they are. Anybody?

PigKahuna

Actually, this has already been done, all the lawn around Bud Walton is open but people don't seem to want to use it.

Boared

Using Old Main's lawn isn't a bad idea, but the amount of litter would be an issue and isn't it a bit far to walk from that area after tailgating all the way to the stadium after knocking back several cold ones?

A Boy Named Sue E.

Comparing the aura of the lawn around Bud Walton to that of Old Main is like comparing a bottle of fine wine to a bottle of Ripple. No comparison. And the walk to the stadium(all downhill, on the way there anyway) is no farther, perhaps even shorter, than the walk to the stadium at Alabama. As for the littering, spend a little pocket change on a cleanup crew on Sunday.

Boared

Are you talking about long-term of just this year? Isn't the lot where Carlson Terrace used to be supposed to be used for tailgating soon?

SultanofSwine

How about a decent coaching staff for this team that will produce a consistent winner, wouldn't that help?

mikeb

I guess none of you guy's have been to the T.G. central go look at the top of the MMQ and check out the location it's perfect come toss down some cold beer and make fun of all with us... ;D

A Boy Named Sue E.

Boared, yeah, I'm talking long term. I've heard about what they've got planned for the area around Carlton Terrace, and that will be better than what we've got right now, but I still think the lawn around Old Main would be much better and you don't even have to tear anything down. They could start on Old Main this Saturday if they REALLY wanted to do something about the problem.

Porquemada

I bet professional strippers would improve tailgating anywhere.

abq

From what I've been told, tailgaters are welcome to use the lawn at Ole Main. This was a few years ago so things might have changed. I think the big issue for most folks is parking.

A Boy Named Sue E.

Parking is an issue, but it's an issue everywhere. Sometimes you've gotta work to have a little fun. On my trip to Alabama, we had to park in a parking garage that seemed like a half a mile away from the Quad. Our friends in 'Bama were there to help us. They brought a dolly and we loaded up our ice chests, blankets, food, etc. on the dolly and took our time strolling to the Quad. It took awhile, but we made it and the atmosphere was awesome. If we wanna be bigtime, we've got to change our ways, including improving our tailgating atmosphere. I say quit whining about the walk. It's not for everybody, but there are plenty of people capable of walking a little ways.

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: A Boy Named Sue E. on October 11, 2005, 03:21:23 pm
Why not open up the lawn in front of Ole Main just like they do at the Quad in Alabama? You guys that have been to the Quad in Alabama know what I'm talking about. Man, the people lay out the blankets, bring the picnic baskets, crank up the grills, ice down the cold drinks, hook up Satellite t.v.'s that have other college games going on, guys are throwing the football around the yard while their gals are hangin' out looking beautiful, etc. All of this amidst tall, hundred year old oak trees with the 'Bama band warming up nearby. It's awesome, and the area we have around Ole Main is just as suited for such a thing. I'm sure there's a million "reasons" why we can't do that here, but I doubt I'd like to know what they are. Anybody?
A better idea would be to use the practice football fields, from the looks of our team the Hogs obivoulsy don't use them and us tailgaters could use the extra space.

hogfan98

i think the intramural/rugby fields would be better.  lots more room.  the only problem is that you wouldn't be able to park your vehicle there.  they're crazy about their grass over there.

Slacker

Here's the best idea for improving tailgaiting in Fayetteville:

Build a first class "BOWL" stadium off campus. This way beer can be served, and plan for lots and  lots of parking around the stadium.

Now, where to build it.  ;D

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: Slacker on October 11, 2005, 09:32:16 pm
Here's the best idea for improving tailgaiting in Fayetteville:

Build a first class "BOWL" stadium off campus. This way beer can be served, and plan for lots and lots of parking around the stadium.

Now, where to build it. ;D

Raze Jiim Lindsey's house and build it there.

Bacon out...

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: Pork'n Beans on October 11, 2005, 04:37:25 pm
I bet professional strippers would improve tailgating anywhere.

Heck, let's take amateurs.  Gotta start somewhere. ;)

Kodiak

October 11, 2005, 10:41:50 pm #17 Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 10:45:00 pm by Kodiak
Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on October 11, 2005, 10:01:04 pm

Raze Jiim Lindsey's house and build it there.

LOL Might work!
Besides, He can move into the top floor of his new office building. :P
Due to the lack of interest, the remainder of this day has been cancelled.
K.I.S.S.  Keep It Simple Stupid!

preunions

People need to get off their a$$ and get their grill fired up early, down some beers and raise some hell on game day. There is no reason we need a freeking golf course to tailgate, but thats just me talking... really, people... not every university has the grove or a golf course... they just tailgate wherever they can find a place to park! Go see 'em at Florida State. And Visit www.GetGusOnTheHill.com.

mikeirwin

You'd have to have somebody in charge of the University who actually WANTED the fans to come to the games and have fun.
Going to games at the U of A is like being invited to a party where the host follows you around like you're going to steal the silverwear or get crumbs from the finger food on the carpet.

e_dub

Yeah, definitely no setting couches on fire or tipping over port-a-crappers in fayetteville.  That is reserved for WMS and all it's glory.

preunions

Irwin- I have to disagree... sure, there are some unruly old gray-haired ushers, but by and large, the fans where I sit in the south end-zone get after it... and for the tailgating- nobody has ever stopped by and asked us to change our behavior- never even heard a single horror story for so much...

rococco

MY understanding is that the green space planned for the area of the western part of CT is going to be the new tailgating area... That at least is how the athletic department argued for it... and they do own the land... (I worked on projects over there all summer long) This is why Lindsay is building all of those ugly pavillions over there. It should be mostly done for basketball and baseball seasons...I can try and find out the final plans and schedule for you guys if you want...
Hogville is watching...

dirty stanchez