Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Former Razorback and NFL punter Steve Cox added to

Started by Con el Cerdos, March 20, 2018, 02:06:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

oldfart

a good man to have on the board. i remember his field goals to sink the hogs when he played at tulsa

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: oldfart on March 20, 2018, 02:09:59 pm
a good man to have on the board. i remember his field goals to sink the hogs when he played at tulsa

I remember it well . . .unfortunately.

Do you remember the story . . why JFB didn't recruit Cox?

ricepig

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on March 20, 2018, 02:47:34 pm
I remember it well . . .unfortunately.

Do you remember the story . . why JFB didn't recruit Cox?
Well, we had another kicker named Steve on the roster.....

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: ricepig on March 20, 2018, 02:50:31 pm

That little guy?  That Little guy?

Seriously...what a talent Steve Little was.  I would actually get out in my yard and kick the football pretending to be him.  He was that great.
Retired Radio Host

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on March 20, 2018, 02:52:42 pm

Seriously...what a talent Steve Little was.  I would actually get out in my yard and kick the football pretending to be him.  He was that great.

It sad the Steve Little died so young.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: ricepig on March 20, 2018, 02:50:31 pm

Thank you.  Had to be a good reason and that's one.  Arguably, if not absolutely the two best we ever had.

Pudgepork

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on March 20, 2018, 03:07:16 pm
Thank you.  Had to be a good reason and that's one.  Arguably, if not absolutely the two best we ever had.

Throw in Bill McClard and Pat Summerall and I'll agree with you.  Summerall for name recognition  if nothing else

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Pudgepork on March 20, 2018, 04:06:21 pm
Throw in Bill McClard and Pat Summerall and I'll agree with you.  Summerall for name recognition  if nothing else

Ish Ordonez, Bruce Lahay, Kendall Trainor, man we have had some great ones.
Retired Radio Host

Inhogswetrust

Some may not know there is another person connected with the Razorbacks and Steve.............
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 20, 2018, 05:18:24 pm
Some may not know there is another person connected with the Razorbacks and Steve.............

Who?   Jim?

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

sowmonella

Quote from: ricepig on March 20, 2018, 05:40:34 pm
How?
How yourself. I think he's talking about Rainwater and Cox LLC in Jonesboro.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

ricepig

Quote from: sowmonella on March 20, 2018, 06:34:07 pm
How yourself. I think he's talking about Rainwater and Cox LLC in Jonesboro.

I know he is, I'm trying to ask him about the connection. I grew up with the Rainwater's, I've known them for 50+ years, just trying to find the connection with the Razorbacks. They all graduated from the UofA, if that's what he's talking about.

Porkys Revenge

Quote from: ricepig on March 20, 2018, 06:41:11 pm
I know he is, I'm trying to ask him about the connection. I grew up with the Rainwater's, I've known them for 50+ years, just trying to find the connection with the Razorbacks. They all graduated from the UofA, if that's what he's talking about.
Steve Cox married a Rainwater. I'm guessong you knew Sloan and Bill.

ricepig

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on March 20, 2018, 06:47:10 pm
Steve Cox married a Rainwater. I'm guessong you knew Sloan and Bill.

You bet, I see Steve and Virginia all the time, I live in Jonesboro. Virginia was year behind me at WRHS, and of course at Fayetteville. Our boys played for JHS at the same time.

Bill and Sloan were great friends with my parents

Porkys Revenge

Quote from: ricepig on March 20, 2018, 06:57:14 pm
You bet, I see Steve and Virginia all the time, I live in Jonesboro. Virginia was year behind me at WRHS, and of course at Fayetteville. Our boys played for JHS at the same time.

Bill and Sloan were great friends with my parents
Yep. They're good people. Their farm in SEark Arkansas borders mine. Ive learned a lot from them and Mr. Jim Grisham.

Arky

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on March 20, 2018, 02:52:42 pm

If I remember correctly, didn't Little, Franklin & Erxceban?? trade off on yardage records........regardless 3 great kickers......I hated texas, still do

ricepig

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on March 20, 2018, 07:12:24 pm
Yep. They're good people. Their farm in SEark Arkansas borders mine. Ive learned a lot from them and Mr. Jim Grisham.

Yeah, I remember them talking about buying it, they figured near the two rivers they would always have good water.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on March 20, 2018, 06:41:11 pm

That's exactly what I'm talking about. And having been in the hotel business as long as I had I knew Bill.

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 21, 2018, 07:25:45 pm
That's exactly what I'm talking about. And having been in the hotel business as long as I had I knew Bill.

No problem, I thought you were saying someone had played for the Hogs.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on March 21, 2018, 07:43:09 pm

Sorry for any confusion.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ricepig on March 21, 2018, 07:43:09 pm

Bill, Jr. went through the off-season workouts & Spring football in 1982 & tried out as a kicker. FWIW
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

ricepig

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 22, 2018, 06:10:28 am
Bill, Jr. went through the off-season workouts & Spring football in 1982 & tried out as a kicker. FWIW

I was trying to remember if he did, I couldn't remember if he was a punter or a kicker. There weren't too many straight on kickers, even in the early 80's.

elksnort

Quote from: ricepig on March 22, 2018, 07:49:37 am
I was trying to remember if he did, I couldn't remember if he was a punter or a kicker. There weren't too many straight on kickers, even in the early 80's.
Bobby "the dog" Haun might have been the last straight on kicker.

Rocket23

rlamb

It would be very arguable that Little was the greatest college kicker of all time!
I was listening to that Tulsa game in my pool hall and out of character for Little,
I believe he missed 2-3 field goals that day against Tulsa and they (Steve Cox)
none and they won 9-3. Every kick Cox made AND EVERY ONE Little missed, I
was holding a long handled floor sweep and by the end of the game, I had choked
that danged piece of wood. Clearly  a game we should have won! WE had Dennis Dirt
Dan DanimalHampton, Eckwood, Ben Cowins, Robert Farrell, Mark Lewis and many
other bad asses back from the 6th ranked 75' team! Frank always had to schedule
that little team from Tulsa who had everything to gain and NOTHING to lose by play-
the big boys to the East

Swine-as-wine

I remember seeing him passed out drunk at a party held at a barn in Charleston.

pignparadise

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 22, 2018, 06:10:28 am
Bill kicked in the Red White game and Holtz
called him Raintree on TV.
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"