Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"Senior Heavy" team is quite deceptive given how weak most of them were.

Started by CaseyVick, March 16, 2018, 07:04:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

CaseyVick

I wish people would quit complaining about how much this team underperformed due to how "senior heavy" it was. Macon and Barford are the only seniors on the team that mattered. Trey Thompson, Arlando Cook, and Anton Beard are all off the bench players on good teams. We had no shot at making a deep run in the tournament with this squad with so few consistent scorers.

For us to make deep runs in the tournament, we need playmakers at at least 4 of the 5 spots on the court. We just haven't been able to recruit enough studs due to either a lack of fire from Anderson or an unwillingness to drop bags.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: CaseyVick on March 16, 2018, 07:04:28 pm
I wish people would quit complaining about how much this team underperformed due to how "senior heavy" it was. Macon and Barford are the only seniors on the team that mattered. Trey Thompson, Arlando Cook, and Anton Beard are all off the bench players on good teams. We had no shot at making a deep run in the tournament with this squad with so few consistent scorers.

For us to make deep runs in the tournament, we need playmakers at at least 4 of the 5 spots on the court. We just haven't been able to recruit enough studs due to either a lack of fire from Anderson or an unwillingness to drop bags.

This

hogwood

4/6 of our seniors had only seen game action for 2 years. It was kind of deceptive, but you still expect older players to display more leadership qualities.

snoot hoggy hog

Darrell Hawkins senior leadership was totally different than Trey Thompson's senior leadership. In the world of "one and done" you gotta have some great glue guys. South Carolina's run last year was in large part because of experienced seniors being on that team.

porkerfinger

Quote from: hogwood on March 16, 2018, 07:55:14 pm
4/6 of our seniors had only seen game action for 2 years. It was kind of deceptive, but you still expect older players to display more leadership qualities.

Strong leadership certainly was lacking with this team.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: hogwood on March 16, 2018, 07:55:14 pm

We were never a tough team.  Either mentally or physically.   I question why Mike does not bring in 2 or 3 physically tough inside players?                   

PonderinHog

There is no 'I' in team.  We were inconsistent at the 4, and nonexistent at the 1.

BannerMountainMan

"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

RazorPiggie

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on March 16, 2018, 09:53:51 pm
It's crazy how much Macon and Barford developed under CMA!

I'd say Barford did exactly what he was supposed to do given he was the #1 JUCO guy.