Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spring game in WMS April 7th

Started by ArKan5a5 KiD, January 25, 2018, 07:05:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Quote from: Kevin on January 26, 2018, 08:17:58 am
for one year, because of construction, no big deal.

I am still waiting on someone to tell me what other major program, uses two stadiums to play home conference games?

the a&m game was signed before they were in the league, and it is going away.

Well, hope you aren't holding your breath while waiting. Only Arkansas has to take their games TO THEIR OWN FANS.

But really, it is just like something Arkansans would think is smart. Build a stadium on campus, renovate it twice so that it seats 70k+, has nice suites, etc, then take 1 or 2 games off campus every year to play "home games" 200+ miles from campus.

Big time programs do not have to do things like that, so, contrary to our popular belief, this is not a big time program.

As for playing the spring game there, so what, spring games are a joke and I have never figured out why people make such a big deal out of them. I went to one, the 09 game, and it was boring.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

go hogues

Labor day weekend against A State every year.

Last fanbase standing on the golf course wins.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

010HogFan

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on January 26, 2018, 07:20:45 am
Either way It's a built in disadvantage that other teams don't have. We are making things harder for ourselves than they have to be.

Hence the reason no one else does it

steveaustin69

Quote from: hogsanity on January 26, 2018, 08:36:27 am
Well, hope you aren't holding your breath while waiting. Only Arkansas has to take their games TO THEIR OWN FANS.

But really, it is just like something Arkansans would think is smart. Build a stadium on campus, renovate it twice so that it seats 70k+, has nice suites, etc, then take 1 or 2 games off campus every year to play "home games" 200+ miles from campus.

Big time programs do not have to do things like that, so, contrary to our popular belief, this is not a big time program.

As for playing the spring game there, so what, spring games are a joke and I have never figured out why people make such a big deal out of them. I went to one, the 09 game, and it was boring.

Being from Little Rock I love the Little Rock games, but I understand the argument against them.  Bolded is hogville in a nutshell.

Cotton

Quote from: ricepig on January 25, 2018, 05:30:30 pm
Who's driving??
Rebel offered to fly us in his crop duster. We're leaving out of Waldenburg

"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Cotton

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 25, 2018, 09:26:13 pm
Those can be tough to come by. But I have "a guy".
I used to have a guy that got me tickets to Augusta...Greenjackets

"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

bphi11ips

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 26, 2018, 08:04:48 am
I'm in Fayetteville, but as I've said in the board before, I'll go wherever the team is going.  This is a GREAT idea.  It serves multiple purposes. 
First, it allows a 100yd, real atmosphere game for the fans and players.  The turf in Fayetteville is removed in the north end and you don't have a full field.  After having to move indoors last year, the full field is a great option.

Secondly, it gives this new staff a feel for WMS and how gameday logistics will work before the Ole Miss game this fall.  A wise move.

Finally, one of he major reasons for the demise of Jeff Long was his NWA centric approach.  This gives fans that can't make trips to Fayetteville some accessibility to the team.  I hope some type of formal fan interaction is set up following the game for fans. All in all, I think this is a good thing and a very good way for Yurachek to get off on a good start with the statewide fan base. 

A coach who understands the geography, population, demographics, and history of the Razorbacks football team as it relates to the psychology of Arkansans knows why the central Arkansas presence is important.  Tubberville gets it.  As he said, every situation is different.  Neither Long nor Bielema got it.  Long was passive aggressive towards Little Rock publicly (telling reporters repeatedly he hadn't considered the WMS contract at the same time he was preparing a Power Point presentation for BOT members and the Governor) and aloof with some very high level boosters.  Bielema made it obvious he didn't like playing games in Little Rock.  It was words and actions that alienated long-time fans from Central and South Arkansas, not the location of games themselves. 

At the end of the day the issue is really about a sense of ownership.  That sense is at the heart of true fans everywhere in all sports. Only recently has there been even a crack in the sense that the Razorbacks belong to the entire state equally.  And that sense extends to the university itself, which in the end is the long-term concern of the BOT.  They know football is UA's front porch.

The new AD and head coach get this.  My guess is that CCM gets it instinctively.  He knows he will need all the KJ Hills, Damarea Crocketts and Treylon Burks Central and South Arkansas can produce.  He knows he will compete with the best for them, and he knows that sense of ownership can make the difference between having them on his sideline or an SEC opponent's.

Spring games were more like real games back in the 70's and 80's when they were often held in Little Rock.  I won't be surprised if this one is the same, given the competition for positions and a new staff.  Petrino's first Spring game drew upwards of 50,000.  There probably won't be that many in Little Rock, but it should be a good crowd. 

This is a good thing for the team, the school, and the state.  Even if Ole Miss is the last game in Little Rock for a while, it seems as if the message coming from leadership will be that the Razorbacks are all-in on Arkansas.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Redhogs

I am still waiting on someone to tell me what other major program, uses two stadiums to play home conference games?

You have a long wait...we are the only idiots in college football who do this....other programs actually use this to recruit against us.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Gonzo

Quote from: john on January 25, 2018, 06:39:07 pm
I like the idea. It seems like an "olive branch" to south, east, & central Arkansas. Now; south, east, & central Arkansas need to show up & demonstrate how important the Hogs are to us also. I'm assuming it'll b free admission-hopefully have great weather & draw a great crowd

Nope, I think playing in Olive Branch would be going too far ;)

Go Hogs!

RME

Quote from: Redhogs on January 26, 2018, 09:23:29 am
You have a long wait...we are the only idiots in college football who do this....other programs actually use this to recruit against us.

"You mean you wanna go to Arkansas?! The place where they play one home game in the middle of the state and not all of their remaining home games on campus? Man, that sounds terrible. Why would you wanna do that? You might even miss out on a visit there!"

Is that an accurate summation of what coaches say when they use the Little Rock game to "recruit against us?" If not, please provide some insight.

I think using a 4-8 record would be a bigger selling point against us, but hey.

steveaustin69

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 26, 2018, 09:21:25 am
A coach who understands the geography, population, demographics, and history of the Razorbacks football team as it relates to the psychology of Arkansans knows why the central Arkansas presence is important.  Tubberville gets it.  As he said, every situation is different.  Neither Long nor Bielema got it.  Long was passive aggressive towards Little Rock publicly (telling reporters repeatedly he hadn't considered the WMS contract at the same time he was preparing a Power Point presentation for BOT members and the Governor) and aloof with some very high level boosters.  Bielema made it obvious he didn't like playing games in Little Rock.  It was words and actions that alienated long-time fans from Central and South Arkansas, not the location of games themselves. 

At the end of the day the issue is really about a sense of ownership.  That sense is at the heart of true fans everywhere in all sports. Only recently has there been even a crack in the sense that the Razorbacks belong to the entire state equally.  And that sense extends to the university itself, which in the end is the long-term concern of the BOT.  They know football is UA's front porch.

The new AD and head coach get this.  My guess is that CCM gets it instinctively.  He knows he will need all the KJ Hills, Damarea Crocketts and Treylon Burks Central and South Arkansas can produce.  He knows he will compete with the best for them, and he knows that sense of ownership can make the difference between having them on his sideline or an SEC opponent's.

Spring games were more like real games back in the 70's and 80's when they were often held in Little Rock.  I won't be surprised if this one is the same, given the competition for positions and a new staff.  Petrino's first Spring game drew upwards of 50,000.  There probably won't be that many in Little Rock, but it should be a good crowd. 

This is a good thing for the team, the school, and the state.  Even if Ole Miss is the last game in Little Rock for a while, it seems as if the message coming from leadership will be that the Razorbacks are all-in on Arkansas.

tl; dr

bphi11ips

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 26, 2018, 09:30:44 am
"You mean you wanna go to Arkansas?! The place where they play one home game in the middle of the state and not all of their remaining home games on campus? Man, that sounds terrible. Why would you wanna do that? You might even miss out on a visit there!"

Is that an accurate summation of what coaches say when they use the Little Rock game to "recruit against us?" If not, please provide some insight.

The crowds for Mississippi State and Missouri may have made a visit worse than no visit at all. We know why those crowds were so small, but the recruits and their parents may not have. Even if they did, they may have seen it as lack of support for the players as well as the coach. Parents know their sons have two full time jobs. They know how hard they have worked their entire lives for the opportunity to play college football. They don't want to send them into a negative environment for four or five years.

liljo

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 26, 2018, 08:04:48 am
I'm in Fayetteville, but as I've said in the board before, I'll go wherever the team is going.  This is a GREAT idea.  It serves multiple purposes. 
First, it allows a 100yd, real atmosphere game for the fans and players.  The turf in Fayetteville is removed in the north end and you don't have a full field.  After having to move indoors last year, the full field is a great option.

Secondly, it gives this new staff a feel for WMS and how gameday logistics will work before the Ole Miss game this fall.  A wise move.

Finally, one of he major reasons for the demise of Jeff Long was his NWA centric approach.  This gives fans that can't make trips to Fayetteville some accessibility to the team.  I hope some type of formal fan interaction is set up following the game for fans. All in all, I think this is a good thing and a very good way for Yurachek to get off on a good start with the statewide fan base.

Thank you for "the voice of reason." I agree.

I will be excited to see the players and new coaching staff. I would attend a regular practice if given the opportunity, but Fayetteville is a very long drive for me. This will be the first Spring game I've attended in quite a while.

Having it in LR this year seems to me to be an excellent idea by the new administration. Reaching out to the whole state and providing those who wish to come an opportunity to see the team. What is wrong with that? I suppose many would have preferred they just have the game at Fayetteville High School.

For those who think the Spring game is boring, or that WM is a bad venue, here's an idea: Don't attend.

I will be calling the Hogs no matter where they play. And I'll be at the Spring game. Early. With several other people in my group. Come have a hot dog or burger with us. We'll share whatever we have till its gone. And you won't hear any of us complaining next year when the Spring game is likely right back on the beautiful campus of the University of Arkansas.

Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

steveaustin69

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 26, 2018, 09:42:44 am
The crowds for Mississippi State and Missouri may have made a visit worse than no visit at all. We know why those crowds were so small, but the recruits and their parents may not have. Even if they did, they may have seen it as lack of support for the players as well as the coach. Parents know their sons have two full time jobs. They know how hard they have worked their entire lives for the opportunity to play college football. They don't want to send them into a negative environment for four or five years.

Think you missed his point, bub.

hogsanity

Playing real games in LR is bush league, period. If the fans are so wishy washy that they will only support the team if the team comes to them, then, as fans they, SUCK.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

steveaustin69

Quote from: hogsanity on January 26, 2018, 09:46:11 am
Playing real games in LR is bush league, period. If the fans are so wishy washy that they will only support the team if the team comes to them, then, as fans they, SUCK.

Where do you spend your fan points?

sowmonella

Until War Memorial ponies up $5-$10 Million for upgrades this spring game might be about it in central Arkansas.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

hogsanity

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 26, 2018, 09:53:20 am
Where do you spend your fan points?

I don't have any fan points, neither does anyone else. A fan supports a team based on the team. Not where they play, who they play, what offense they run, who they have as the HC, or who they recruit. The Hog football team has not played in FS in my lifetime, but I still want them to win, enjoy watching the games. The Braves have never played in Arkansas ( to my knowledge 0 but I am still a fan. My son is a Eagles fan, has been since he was 2 for some reason, yet he has never been to a game and they have never played in AR. My younger son is a Dallas Stars fan, they have never played here.

I know people in Poteau that are Ou fans, have the Sooners ever come there to play? Clemson SC has a population of 16K, yet 6-8 Saturdays a year that swells to 80K or so, and it did so long before their current run. Do they go to places like Hilton Head or Charleston to play games?

Only in Ar do the " fans " think the team should load up and come to them. 

hogsanity

What part of " ....rules prohibit practices, including spring games, from being held off campus " do people have such a hard time understanding?

oldhawg

Guess it depends upon what you call "major."

Plus not a conference game, but:

The U.S. Naval Academy normally plays its home game against Notre Dame at a location other than Annapolis.  Notre Dame always chooses to play in South Bend on its home game years.

2018 - scheduled for San Diego, CA.
2016 - played in Jacksonville, FL.
2014 - played in Landover, MD.
2012 - played in Dublin, Ireland.
2010 - played in East Rutherford, NJ
etc.

Taking the game to the troops. 

Also, since it is normally a sellout (or close), they choose to play in stadiums larger than Navy - Marine Corp Stadium in Annapolis.

Yes, I know, special situation.

Redhogs

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 26, 2018, 09:30:44 am

It's been stated by the media several times over the years...try to keep up. Your avatar does you justice BTW...exactly how I would picture you.

Redhogs

Quote from: hogsanity on January 26, 2018, 09:46:11 am
Strongly AGREE with you..probably the first time ever. :) :)

RME

Quote from: Redhogs on January 26, 2018, 10:11:33 am
It's been stated by the media several times over the years...try to keep up. Your avatar does you justice BTW...exactly how I would picture you.

Well, yeah. Why else would I make that my avatar?

bphi11ips

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 26, 2018, 09:44:56 am
Think you missed his point, bub.

Of maybe it was an extension of his thought?

Not all posts are meant to be argumentative.

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 26, 2018, 10:13:33 am
Well, yeah. Why else would I make that my avatar?

Because John Candy was one of the greatest generational actors. That's why.

SemperHawg

Youth Weekend/Opening day of Turkey season on the 7th, 8th, and 9th for all of you outdoorsmen. 

steveaustin69

Quote from: Redhogs on January 26, 2018, 10:11:33 am

Boom! Roasted!

rhames

Oh man. This thread has not dissapointed
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

steveaustin69

Quote from: hogsanity on January 26, 2018, 10:04:13 am
I don't have any fan points, neither does anyone else. A fan supports a team based on the team. Not where they play, who they play, what offense they run, who they have as the HC, or who they recruit. The Hog football team has not played in FS in my lifetime, but I still want them to win, enjoy watching the games. The Braves have never played in Arkansas ( to my knowledge 0 but I am still a fan. My son is a Eagles fan, has been since he was 2 for some reason, yet he has never been to a game and they have never played in AR. My younger son is a Dallas Stars fan, they have never played here.

I know people in Poteau that are Ou fans, have the Sooners ever come there to play? Clemson SC has a population of 16K, yet 6-8 Saturdays a year that swells to 80K or so, and it did so long before their current run. Do they go to places like Hilton Head or Charleston to play games?

Only in Ar do the " fans " think the team should load up and come to them.

Did they historically do that?

steveaustin69

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 26, 2018, 10:15:44 am
Of maybe it was an extension of his thought?

Not all posts are meant to be argumentative.

Your stream of consciousness must be a wild, wild place.

hogsanity

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 26, 2018, 10:30:33 am
Did they historically do that?

No idea. If they did, they do not now because it is stupid. If regularly playing home games off campus was a good idea then big time teams would do it. The only time they do things like that is for a huge paycheck and to play another big time team at a neutral site.

Kevin

Quote from: hogsanity on January 26, 2018, 10:35:37 am
No idea. If they did, they do not now because it is stupid. If regularly playing home games off campus was a good idea then big time teams would do it. The only time they do things like that is for a huge paycheck and to play another big time team at a neutral site.

they don't play home conference games in another stadium
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

steveaustin69

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on January 26, 2018, 07:20:45 am
Either way It's a built in disadvantage that other teams don't have. We are making things harder for ourselves than they have to be.

How?  Until Bielema we almost never lost there (think Petrino and Nutt were a combined 32-4.) 

This is anectdotal, but WMS was significantly louder at Miracle on Markham and 2011 LSU game than DWRRS for 2010 Bama or 2006 Tennessee (loudest DWRRS games I've been to.)

GuvHog

Quote from: stan the man on January 25, 2018, 10:10:58 pm
If U of A had to get permission from the SEC to play a spring game I can’t see them allowing SEC games to be played there

The SEC will never stop it's member schools from playing off campus home games. If they did that then the Great Tea Party in Jacksonville, Florida (Georgia vs Florida) would come to an end. Those 2 schools have too much clout in the conference to allow that to happen.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hobhog

Quote from: rhames on January 26, 2018, 10:29:10 am
Oh man. This thread has not dissapointed

Seems the majority of fans are excited about it. And as usual a vocal minoity has gone insane over a red white game being moved for one year. Good stuff.

hobhog

Quote from: Kevin on January 26, 2018, 10:36:46 am
they don't play home conference games in another stadium

Florida and UGA are on line 2. A&M is on hold on line 3.

GuvHog

Georgia and Florida say hi. They play each other in Jacksonville Florida every year.

Texas and Oklahoma say Hi. They play each other in Dallas every year.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

bphi11ips

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 26, 2018, 10:31:18 am
Your stream of consciousness must be a wild, wild place.

We're on the same side of this issue, bub

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Cotton on January 26, 2018, 08:33:57 am
OR... Is Yurachek tossing Central AR a bone before he yanks the contract  ;)
Now your really going to get folks fired up!  He knows that the BOT is from all corners of the state.  He's playing this the right way. But hey, HOGVILLE always needs another conspiracy theory!  Well done!
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on January 26, 2018, 10:48:22 am
Georgia and Florida say hi. They play each other in Jacksonville Florida every year.

GUV THROWING SHADE

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

azhog10

Quote from: hogsanity on January 26, 2018, 10:05:31 am
What part of " ....rules prohibit practices, including spring games, from being held off campus " do people have such a hard time understanding?
Then how are we having our spring game at WMS April 7th? That's straight from the AD.......What rules prohibit having spring games off campus? Someone may need to notifiy our AD.

RME

BassinHawg

Quote from: swineology on January 25, 2018, 09:34:57 pm
Also schedule a game with stAte there every year as a permanent NC game.

Spring practice
stAte
SEC opponent

This schedule would be awesome at WMS

Uh, NO!
"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

steveaustin69

We were 12-2 in SEC LR games under Nutt and Petrino.

While we lose an official visit weekend (I understand this can be a true disadvantage, but isn't winning football games the end goal? look at the record above,) aren't we adding an unofficial "visit" opportunity for South Arkansas, TN border, LA border, MS border and TX border kids?  Recruits sit by my seats every game; they are there on a "visit", have special passes and everything.

The only real argument I ever see against it is money, which Hogville has demonstrated a lot of this fan base loves more than winning.

Money is important, but nothing beats winning.

STLhawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 25, 2018, 03:38:41 pm
I've suggested this for a while, and I am anti-WMS. I think the Spring Game should be in Little Rock, and the Mizzou game every other year. That's it.
I would totally LOVE to see the Razorbacks play their game against Mizzou in WMS every year!!!!!!

Kevin

Quote from: GuvHog on January 26, 2018, 10:48:22 am

ok that's 2
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

rhames

BassinHawg

Quote from: azhog10 on January 26, 2018, 10:52:53 am
Then how are we having our spring game at WMS April 7th? That's straight from the AD.......What rules prohibit having spring games off campus? Someone may need to notifiy our AD.

This is only being played in LR because the of the stadium renovations, I believe the SEC granted special permission for the LR Spring game.
"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

steveaustin69

Quote from: Kevin on January 26, 2018, 11:00:24 am
ok that's 2 games including four of the biggest and most storied programs in the nation

FIFY

Nashville Fan

Quote from: ricepig on January 25, 2018, 07:31:32 pm
Two problems, first, it's against SEC rules to have spring football practice off campus, and lastly, no recruits.
Don't know if SEC has separate rules from NCAA; but aTm cancelled their spring games during the renovation of Kyle field because of NCAA rules

"NCAA rules related to an off-campus spring game would include football staff members, as well as current Aggie football players, not being able to interact with prospective student-athletes and their families. Also, the institution would not be able to provide complimentary admission to high school, college-preparatory school or two-year college prospects or their coaches because the event is not a regular-season event and would be taking place outside of a 30-mile radius from campus."

aTm canceled because of recruiting not because it was not allowed. I would think that you would not want prospects to see War Memorial anyway. So that's not a prohibitive factor for AR. :)

ps Harbaugh had MI spring practices in Rome Italy along with a scrimmage.
Pittman or Bust!