Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We can win the SEC

Started by mj4president, December 12, 2017, 09:13:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mj4president

With Florida and Kentucky not being awesome, us being a senior lead team with some great depth. I say, "why not us?"
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

litmachog

We are the South Carolina of last year. They were loaded with Seniors last year. 

navyhog24

I think aTm is the favorite, and they should rightfully be. Tennessee is looking good as well.

Florida is really bipolar. If they are hitting their 3's, they can beat anyone. If the jump shots aren't falling, they suck. They have no inside game and just rely heavily on 3 point shooting. Even getting Egbunu back won't make them legit right away. The coaching staff won't play him a lot right away as he will be recovering from a bad injury.

I think this may be the worst Kentucky team yet, but I'm sure Cal will have them going come tourney time.

If we're going to make a run to win the SEC, this is the year to do it. This is our best shot. Next year, there will be a lot of growing pains with so many new faces.

Fan701

Quote from: mj4president on December 12, 2017, 09:13:33 am
With Florida and Kentucky not being awesome, us being a senior lead team with some great depth. I say, "why not us?"
I agree.  It's very possible, but probably not the most likely outcome.  I'd say we have a chance somewhere in the 10% to 20% range of coming out on top.  However, I think we have about a 75% chance of being in the top four.  A&M has to be the favorite now.  We, Florida, and Kentucky should be contenders, with teams like Tennessee or Alabama being possible interlopers.  It should be an exciting season.  With a few breaks we could come out on top.  If we can win all home games and take five on the road it might be enough for first place.

JONAS

Tennessee looks good.  Hopefully, we will beat them at home.

ShadowHawg

I think A&M is still no better than average in the backcourt and thin on depth.

Their frontline is fantastic but they are very beatable. They are not a juggernaut.

Adam Stokes

The great news is that there likely isn't a 15-3 type team in the SEC this year. For the most part either Florida or UK have dominated conference play and kept other SEC teams from getting resume boosters. In the past only UK and UF could give you a Top 25 check in conference, this year UK, Mizzou, A&M, Arkansas, and Tennessee can all give that needed boost. Florida has hurt itself with its non-con scheduling, as all their opponents are either crazy good or terrible. They'll likely need to go 14-4 in conference to crack a Top 25 RPI, whereas we would only need 12-6, maybe 11-7.

There are many teams that are likely yo get to 12 wins and a lot of teams that will be sitting at 9-9/10-8. This is the first year in a long time that a standard 9-9 in conference play might be enough to warrant an at-large, for the past couple it has been 11-7.

If Vandy, LSU, OM, and MSU can all do some solid tanking in conference there are 9 teams with legit shots at making the tourney.

TNhawgfan

I would put a + m as the favorite. I also really like bama this year. I think both those teams are better than UK
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

JONAS

Quote from: TNhawgfan on December 12, 2017, 02:01:51 pm
I would put a + m as the favorite. I also really like bama this year. I think both those teams are better than UK

The Cats sure aren't playing well right now.

HawgsPolo

Without a doubt, I honestly don't believe the Hogs will lose at home this season. And have a legitimate chance at winning 6 conference road games.
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

Piggage

Right, but officiating can also be a factor. From an officiating standpoint, it could be that this is still Kentucky's conference until proven otherwise.

If the refs think a team is hanging their hat on playing physical defense and being disruptive AND they don't like that (for instance, if that physical team is playing against a KY or A&M team that's trying to play 7 deep), the refs can call ticky tack fouls and kill the physical team's strategy. The easiest way is to start calling ticky tack fouls at the start of the 2nd half, so there's less ability to adjust.

Having said that, I think it'll take more than lopsided foul calling for a team to beat this year's Hogs in BWA. I just wish we had more of a sample size of true road games than one game that was mailed in from start to finish.

JONAS

Quote from: Piggage on December 12, 2017, 04:20:13 pm
Right, but officiating can also be a factor. From an officiating standpoint, it could be that this is still Kentucky's conference until proven otherwise.

If the refs think a team is hanging their hat on playing physical defense and being disruptive AND they don't like that (for instance, if that physical team is playing against a KY or A&M team that's trying to play 7 deep), the refs can call ticky tack fouls and kill the physical team's strategy. The easiest way is to start calling ticky tack fouls at the start of the 2nd half, so there's less ability to adjust.

Having said that, I think it'll take more than lopsided foul calling for a team to beat this year's Hogs in BWA. I just wish we had more of a sample size of true road games than one game that was mailed in from start to finish.

Yep.  The refs will definitely do that on the road in the SEC.  Been that way since we joined the league in 1992.