Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anybody killing ducks?

Started by theFlyingHog, November 23, 2017, 10:47:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

theFlyingHog

Haven't seen many around Lodge Corner.

onebadrubi

Seems to be the typical dry year so far. 

Lakes and big bodies of water have a few "big" ducks, the fun fast teal, and your spoonie who may or may not still be considered a green head among your buddies. 

Get north of 40 and if the fields have had water on them for a few weeks they may hold some numbers of ducks.  Old Private timber that floods annually has ducks. 

Public WMA's are absolutely F'ed!  They need 6" plus of rain in a matter of minutes to even think about flooding.

Großer Kriegschwein

Teal are in seriously down here in LA.
This is my non-signature signature.

DeltaBoy

I saw they are getting them pretty good in Monroe and Arkansas County.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HognotinMemphis

My host and I got our limits in 20 min this AM. Thousands of ducks flying...cascaded into our hole this AM. Watched them for 30 min before we began shooting. Then took photos for an hour after we finished shooting. Across the road and down 1/2 a mile from Five Oaks.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

theFlyingHog

The ducks and geese all seem to have moved south. Won't be a drop of open water in the state come morning

ricepig

Quote from: theFlyingHog on December 31, 2017, 07:23:29 pm
The ducks and geese all seem to have moved south. Won't be a drop of open water in the state come morning

My son had great hunts on the 30th and 31st. I have a riser in the area of the blind and I told him to turn on the well. The 55° well water kept the area around  the blind from freezing up and the ducks were looking for any open water to light on.

Hogcore

Hammering them in NW Louisiana around the Red River.

We've got a cypress slough off the river that gets good when the weather is right. Oh what I would do for the opportunity to lease a rice field in Ark next year...

theFlyingHog

Actually had open water today thanks to the stout wind. Saw four ducks get off the bar ditch right at shootin light and didn't see another all morning.

onebadrubi

Last few days have been good for me.  Got to know where open water is when it gets like this.  And when there is open water it's at times an unfair advantage.  two season ago a buddy and I killed 9 ducks with 3 shots each (6 shots total fired) because we worked some ducks in open water then the sky turned black with ducks because so many saw some coming down we let them all work and finally shot after watching this for about 15 minutes.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 01, 2018, 06:37:16 pm
Last few days have been good for me.  Got to know where open water is when it gets like this.  And when there is open water it's at times an unfair advantage.  two season ago a buddy and I killed 9 ducks with 3 shots each (6 shots total fired) because we worked some ducks in open water then the sky turned black with ducks because so many saw some coming down we let them all work and finally shot after watching this for about 15 minutes.
I'm sure they were teal or another of the species which has a six duck limit...  ;)

onebadrubi

Quote from: theFlyingHog on January 02, 2018, 08:49:00 pm
I'm sure they were teal or another of the species which has a six duck limit...  ;)

Nope, even got checked by a game warden coming out and told him exactly what happened.  He appreciated the honesty and instead of burying it or leaving it that we were taking it out to clean.  Got a little lucky there but worked out.  lol. Actually going to try the same thing the next two morning at the same location.  Hopefully similar results.

Pigasaurus

A lot of duck hunters catching big catfish here in se arkansas. There's been more limits of fish pics than ducks here lately. Crazy.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

pigture perfect

Drove down to West Helena the other day and the Snows and Speckled Bellies were in many fields between Brinkley and Marvel. Saw a few duck working around though.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

TheOtherColombia

DeltaBoy

Stuttgart daily leader reports good hunting in Ark County.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

theFlyingHog

We've seen maybe fifty ducks all weekend. Getting so bad I almost won't be sad when the season is over

IronHog

Quote from: theFlyingHog on January 14, 2018, 12:31:18 pm
We've seen maybe fifty ducks all weekend. Getting so bad I almost won't be sad when the season is over

All the ducks at wabbaseka

Most in 15 years
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

ricepig

Quote from: theFlyingHog on January 14, 2018, 12:31:18 pm

I've been once since the first of the year, and will go next weekend because it's old college buddies/pledge brothers weekend. I don't even know if I'll take my gun, probably will to shoot skeet. My youngest has been a few more times, but it's been a lot of work to get a hunt in. He did go one time with a friend to some woods and they had 6 limits in about an hour.

pigture perfect

Saw lots of ducks over Watensa. I wasn't hunting though.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

onebadrubi

Quote from: IronHog on January 14, 2018, 01:28:24 pm

All the ducks at wabbaseka

Most in 15 years

The bayou Meto duck reports have been good since the third split opened.

IronHog

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 14, 2018, 04:37:49 pm
The bayou Meto duck reports have been good since the third split opened.

200k mallards and 6.9 million townies with a duck boat

onebadrubi

Quote from: IronHog on January 14, 2018, 04:41:10 pm

200k mallards and 6.9 million townies with a duck boat

haha Yeah, I stay away from that place.

IronHog

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 14, 2018, 05:13:14 pm
haha Yeah, I stay away from that place.

I go occasionally just because I grew up in there

Don't go hunt to see crowds so it's just a few times a year

onebadrubi

Quote from: IronHog on January 14, 2018, 05:26:15 pm

I go occasionally just because I grew up in there

Don't go hunt to see crowds so it's just a few times a year

I can't keep up with the rules in that place. 

zane

They were killing them OK last Thurs and Fri after the weather warmed a bit. I made it out Saturday and we didn't work a single duck Saturday morning. Worked a couple small groups that afternoon but didn't fire a shot.  I was too disgusted and didn't hunt yesterday.

Freakin miserable.
RIP LSUfan

theFlyingHog

Hunted Saturday and Sunday and saw so few ducks we hunted geese on Monday.