Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"Uncharted Waters"

Started by InHOGuration Ball, October 22, 2017, 12:37:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

InHOGuration Ball

October 22, 2017, 12:37:19 am Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 01:17:18 am by InHOGuration Ball
I'm not understanding how CBB can say this is uncharted waters for him....His last 6 years have been like this.  Doesn't he remember that he lost his first 12 conference games and won only 10 games since.  He's been sailing in uncharted waters since his next to last year at Wisconsin.  He lacks a sense of reality among other things....

phadedhawg

I think he's referring to the fact he's gonna be fired. 

The last time we were winless in the SEC, he was brand new and the fans still supported him.

Cylinder

His uncharted waters is being outside the guidance of Alvarez. This is his first head coaching job and that's not hyperbole.

InHOGuration Ball

Those are good points and helps me to understand his response.   Thanks.

The Kig

Quote from: InHOGuration Ball on October 22, 2017, 12:37:19 am
I'm not understanding how CBB can say this is unchartered waters for him....His last 6 years have been like this.  Doesn't he remember that he lost his first 12 conference games and won only 10 games since.  He's been sailing in unchartered waters since his next to last year at Wisconsin.  He lacks a sense of reality among other things....

What are "unchertered waters"?  Had to correct my auto correct twice just to get this wrong.  Since you italicized it twice, I am thinking maybe it's actually a thing. 
Poker Porker

gchamblee

Quote from: The Kig on October 22, 2017, 01:02:55 am
What are "unchertered waters"?  Had to correct my auto correct twice just to get this wrong.  Since you italicized it twice, I am thinking maybe it's actually a thing.

He meant uncharted, but types things as he hears them. I wouldn't give him too much grief over it. It is all water under the fridge now.

InHOGuration Ball

My bad...I thought he said unchartered instead of uncharted waters.  I guess I heard it wrong.    Thanks for the feedback.   

razorbackred1

Quote from: phadedhawg on October 22, 2017, 12:39:04 am

The last time we were winless in the SEC, he was brand new and the fans still supported him.

THIS!

Sundog

Quote from: phadedhawg on October 22, 2017, 12:39:04 am

Ummmmm.....nope.  Let's rephrase that: the fans still supported the PLAYERS.  Some of us knew from day 1 Bert was wrong for the U of A. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: InHOGuration Ball on October 22, 2017, 12:37:19 am
I'm not understanding how CBB can say this is uncharted waters for him....His last 6 years have been like this.  Doesn't he remember that he lost his first 12 conference games and won only 10 games since.  He's been sailing in uncharted waters since his next to last year at Wisconsin.  He lacks a sense of reality among other things....

These are uncharted waters and if you think about it, in year 5 in the program, it isn't just uncharted water for him (meaning that he has no idea what the problem is and therefore, has no solution), these are uncharted waters for us as well. For a team that he has recruited and a staff that he has hired to have so little success (even in the SEC) is just ridiculous.

We've seen HC's fail before, that isn't anything new. But this case is epic considering how well thought of he is as a HC by his peers and some of the things that he had accomplished prior to coming to Arkansas. This isn't about Arkansas not being capable of being more competitive in the SEC.

Time for Bret to move on. I just hope for the program and the kids that it is at the end of this season. No insults, it's just time for this to end.
Go Hogs Go!

hogcard1964

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 22, 2017, 09:03:31 am
These are uncharted waters and if you think about it, in year 5 in the program, it isn't just uncharted water for him (meaning that he has no idea what the problem is and therefore, has no solution), these are uncharted waters for us as well. For a team that he has recruited and a staff that he has hired to have so little success (even in the SEC) is just ridiculous.

We've seen HC's fail before, that isn't anything new. But this case is epic considering how well thought of he is as a HC by his peers and some of the things that he had accomplished prior to coming to Arkansas. This isn't about Arkansas not being capable of being more competitive in the SEC.

Time for Bret to move on. I just hope for the program and the kids that it is at the end of this season. No insults, it's just time for this to end.

This, but fire him now.

Plug in Enos for the remainder. Wind him up and let him go.

LRHawg

Quote from: Cylinder on October 22, 2017, 12:39:39 am
His uncharted waters is being outside the guidance of Alvarez. This is his first head coaching job and that's not hyperbole.

We've made a monster mistake to the tune of 16+ million in Wasted head coaching salary and Jeff Long should be the first one out the door.

logic

Quote from: LRHawg on October 22, 2017, 09:07:31 am
We've made a monster mistake to the tune of 16+ million in Wasted head coaching salary and Jeff Long should be the first one out the door.
Absolutely, I agree.

cj_sez

"good week of practice" (again) , "uh,uh" (repeatedly), "obviously" (repeatedly) "know we're close" (really--7 games into the season and 2-5) "hopefully develop players" (which should have been ready on opening game)

"uncharted waters" (because you were Alvarez' puppet and incapable of building a program)

ICEman

Uncherted waters is a better moniker. Chert is a fine grain sedimentary rock composed of the fossilized remains of ancient plant/animal life. I think we could use a bit more chert and grit on this team.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 22, 2017, 09:03:31 am

As I said a couple of weeks ago, very June Jones'esque. Bert has just up and quit on himself and everyone else.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Pork Ranger

There's just been zero fire from him since he's been here. I've never seen him try and pump up his team or line out a player.

PossumFan

Quote from: BritneySpareRibs on October 22, 2017, 03:25:59 pm
There's just been zero fire from him since he's been here. I've never seen him try and pump up his team or line out a player.

I don't know why folks worry so much about this. Both demeanors -- stoic and animated -- can be successful. Nutt was fairly animated, and I recall more than a few Hog fans thinking he came off a little kooky and unhinged. Personnel decisions and development, scheme and preparation are far more important factors, IMO. 

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ICEman on October 22, 2017, 09:20:00 am
Uncherted waters is a better moniker. Chert is a fine grain sedimentary rock composed of the fossilized remains of ancient plant/animal life. I think we could use a bit more chert and grit on this team.

No chert, cherlock.

Sorry...
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Pork Ranger

Quote from: PossumFan on October 22, 2017, 03:35:10 pm
I don't know why folks worry so much about this. Both demeanors -- stoic and animated -- can be successful. Nutt was fairly animated, and I recall more than a few Hog fans thinking he came off a little kooky and unhinged. Personnel decisions and development, scheme and preparation are far more important factors, IMO.

My problem is every time they show him he appears lost or confused on the sidelines.  The results would confirm the truth in this

The Boar War

Just one of many future attempts to cast a different light on his experience here.  "You guys had a losing season before I got here.  But I've never experienced anything like this.  I was winning championships before I came to Arkansas".

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: The Boar War on October 22, 2017, 03:39:54 pm
Just one of many future attempts to cast a different light on his experience here.  "You guys had a losing season before I got here.  But I've never experienced anything like this.  I was winning championships before I came to Arkansas".
He's about to enter more uncharted waters: he's never been fired before for doing a sheite job either.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

PossumFan

Quote from: BritneySpareRibs on October 22, 2017, 03:39:31 pm
My problem is every time they show him he appears lost or confused on the sidelines.  The results would confirm the truth in this

Fair enough. But "lost or confused" is different from lack of fire. Any number of fiery coaches have looked lost or confused on a fairly regular basis.

Pork Ranger

Quote from: PossumFan on October 22, 2017, 03:56:29 pm
Fair enough. But "lost or confused" is different from lack of fire. Any number of fiery coaches have looked lost or confused on a fairly regular basis.

Whatever. Lack of fire is accurate as well. This is a pointless argument

I took that to mean he has no idea how to fix it.

hogman64

Not trying to pick on  his personal health and  appearance etc.  but I would also say it is pretty much unchartered waters
for a  college head coach to gain as much weight as he has in less than  5 years...College head coaches are generally  known
as self disciplined task masters, who drive their players to be the best they can be physically ..... I don't ever remember seeing a major college head coach gain so much weight.. there
are some that are just big guys but the ones  I know of in high paying situations got overly fat  earlier in their life  not after taking a 4 million dollar a year job. He almost looks like a different person now as opposed to his hiring day...
to me his weight gain is just another mystery as to what is going on with him and the program....it just isn't a good sign.

twistitup

Not having ANY support is unchartered....I shouldn't say NO support, he did say his lil girl doesn't care if he wins or loses...
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....