Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bret Bielema: “I know we’re Close.”

Started by WilsonHog, October 22, 2017, 02:14:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

Close to what?

To having the worst team in the SEC?

To not losing a conference game by 30 points?

To starting the same five guys on the offensive line two weeks in a row?

To winning the a game we trail at the half, for the first time in 5 years?

To Jeff Long selling advertising space on his windbreaker?

Just what in the blue hell are we "close to," because it's damn sure not to being a good football team.

Pork Ranger

I haven't watched but did he really say it again?

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

tophawg19

if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

PonderinHog

hawgon

From day one, practically everything this guy has said has turned out to be dead wrong.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 22, 2017, 02:14:03 pm
Close to what?

Just what in the blue hell are we "close to," because it's damn sure not to being a good football team.

When was this last said?
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ricepig

HOGINTENNESSEE

Good I hope the next HC can turn the corner quick

ricepig

Quote from: BritneySpareRibs on October 22, 2017, 02:15:00 pm
I haven't watched but did he really say it again?

Close to it.......

Hey spoke to the media.....

Sed76

At this point I don't know how the media can keep a straight face hearing this garbage week in and week out. No really need to even go to his press conferences since he just says the same stuff.

parallaxpig

noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

PonderinHog

WilsonHog

Direct quote post-game last night from Bielema, per Tom Murphy:

"You just get in there and go to work. I know we're close."

Rzback

He said it yesterday after the Auburn embarrassment
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

Cowtown Hog

He also took credit for the kickoff return, "I put that in a couple of weeks ago."

cal34

They played it on the 5th quarter show last night.  Hard to believe he's still saying that.

cal34

Quote from: Cowtown Hog on October 22, 2017, 02:27:36 pm
He also took credit for the kickoff return, "I put that in a couple of weeks ago."

He sure did, it was a designed play lol.

davehog

CBB is starting to sound like HDN near the end of his tenure.  Same desperate and ambiguous coach speak about anything positive.

East Clintwood

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2017, 02:20:29 pm
to basketball season ???

And yet another disappointment, just not as bad as football.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: cal34 on October 22, 2017, 02:27:37 pm
They played it on the 5th quarter show last night.  Hard to believe he's still saying that.

He has no answers....
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 22, 2017, 02:25:10 pm

As the losses have mounted, have you put any thought into your job security and do you expect to be back next season?...

"Yeah, obviously it's unchartered waters for me. I've never been in that situation where we're 2-5 and disappointed where we're at. The greatest thing about a coaching position is this: You just worry about the day in front of you. I know it's probably not the answer you want or the thing that you want to write, but I do -- you just get in there and go to work. I know we're close. We end up, I think really getting heavily down on ourselves; that third quarter got ugly at the end there, and our kids did resiliently come back. But I can't worry about anything but the day in front of me. I don't really worry about the future or anything like that. I just worry about Ole Miss now."

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2017/10/what_bret_bielema_arkansas_pla.html

More context.

It doesn't make sense to say. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Vantage 8 dude

And no doubt just waiting to be sprung at just the right "We got 'em right where we want 'em" moment.

runninhog

Atlhogfan1

What did you see on the kickoff return for the touchdown? And also, did you ever think about putting Ty Storey in?...

"The first part, the KOR, this guy is obviously -- I think I said it the other day, 42 of his 49 kick offs have been touchbacks, so we knew when we were kicking into the wind in that direction, there was a good chance we were going to get a runner. It's a return that I put in probably two weeks ago, and we've just been working it and finally got the chance. Everybody blocked it up. I thought De'Vion made a nice initial through the hole, but then bounced it through the left and just out-ran some people and obviously a positive thing on a negative day. Oh, Ty Storey, I think maybe if there was one more possession, but I think with Cole, we just wanted to keep repping him and getting him as many rep opportunities as we can. We didn't want to take him out of there on a negative note. Wanted him to be positive, and obviously getting that score was big."

What a piece of darn to answer the question asked. 

cj_sez

Close Encounters of the Losing Kind....oh yeah....32 points is not close.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 22, 2017, 02:35:50 pm
As the losses have mounted, have you put any thought into your job security and do you expect to be back next season?...

"Yeah, obviously it's unchartered waters for me. I've never been in that situation where we're 2-5 and disappointed where we're at. The greatest thing about a coaching position is this: You just worry about the day in front of you. I know it's probably not the answer you want or the thing that you want to write, but I do -- you just get in there and go to work. I know we're close. We end up, I think really getting heavily down on ourselves; that third quarter got ugly at the end there, and our kids did resiliently come back. But I can't worry about anything but the day in front of me. I don't really worry about the future or anything like that. I just worry about Ole Miss now."

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2017/10/what_bret_bielema_arkansas_pla.html

More context.

It doesn't make sense to say.
Bret, give it up. IF you were really concerned with ANY game in the future you would have not have been doing the "half a#sed" job for pretty much the whole time you've been here. Sorry if the truth hurts, however, it's LONG past time to deal with reality.

Biggus Piggus

Close to what?

Just one major coaching change away from being a good football team.
[CENSORED]!

hogcard1964

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 22, 2017, 02:25:10 pm

He's a complete idiot.

cj_sez

Jeff Long's office number: 479-575-7641

Call him...leave a message...fire Bielema.

alohawg

Nope, we're not close, we've arrived- rock bottom.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

jgphillips3

Close to playing some teams almost as terrible as we are so we have a chance, not because we are good but because they suck worse?  That's the only thing I think we are close to at this point.

farmhawg

You just can't make up stupid like he does.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Augustus

Oh... he can just dial up a run for a touchdown? Interesting.

Maybe Bret meant he was close to telling Enos "Let's pick a play that will score a TD"

Jimbob111

Quote from: ModestoHOG63 on October 22, 2017, 02:19:42 pm
Bellyma is delusional.  I really feel bad for the guy, hard to believe someone could be so stupid.

He's both stupid and smart. Everything has not turned out to be wrong per se but more that it has turned out to be a lie to get him a big, fat moneycheck.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

HognotinMemphis

He will say that every week until he is fired. There is nothing else to say that is remotely positive.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Vantage 8 dude

Perhaps what he really means is that "We're close......to being voted out of the SEC. In a league where all teams are supposed to at least be competitive and not totally embarrass the rest of the league even the traditional "door mats" have become humiliated by our presence".

Wonder if the GAC is looking for another member. Oh boy, better wait on that. Other state schools such as Tech, Ouachita, Harding and others are liable to whip our tails. We might finally feel some shame.

LRHawg

Please, we blocked in the back on the return and if the refs had seen it, or not felt sorry for us at that point, then it would have come back.

ThisTeetsTaken

Close to recruiting some mid-tier SEC caliber O linemen and D linemen?  We've got Ragnow and Agim and that's about it.  One man per side.  And Ragnow will be gone after this year.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

EastexHawg

Quote from: cj_sez on October 22, 2017, 02:54:23 pm
Jeff Long's office number: 479-575-7641

Call him...leave a message...fire Bielema.

If I called and left a message for Long Bielema wouldn't be the one I told him needed to go.  But I already did that in a letter a few years ago.

EastexHawg

Quote from: LRHawg on October 22, 2017, 03:13:57 pm
Please, we blocked in the back on the return and if the refs had seen it, or not felt sorry for us at that point, then it would have come back.

They did see it and threw a flag.  How it was picked up is a mystery ranking right up there with the disappearance of Amelia Earhart.

hawginbigd1

I think we are, I just am thinking at this point he and Enos are not the people to get us to the finish line, Matt Campbell please. We are 2 safeties and 1-2 LBs away from a solid defense. As for the offense we appear to be clueless on what we want to be or do. I thought Enos was a steal but the last 12-14 games the offense has been pretty brutal.

TNRazorbacker

Always Close to quitting about half way through the second quarter.

jgphillips3

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 22, 2017, 03:31:36 pm
I think we are, I just am thinking at this point he and Enos are not the people to get us to the finish line, Matt Campbell please. We are 2 safeties and 1-2 LBs away from a solid defense. As for the offense we appear to be clueless on what we want to be or do. I thought Enos was a steal but the last 12-14 games the offense has been pretty brutal.

Enos has a great offensive mind and a piss poor O-line coach.  No offense, no matter how well designed, can succeed when 5 men can't block four and one of those four pops the QB every play while the other 8 cover.

ThisTeetsTaken

Close to what?

Did you know there is a WilsonHog parady account on Twitter?
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***