Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

USA Today coaching salary list, and buyouts.....

Started by ricepig, October 25, 2017, 11:10:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ur

Jeff Brohm:
Basically, if Purdue surprises everyone, wins the Big Ten this year, and someone else hires Brohm away he owes us $5 million plus the remainder of that $900,000 loan (Drops by 1 million after Dec 5). Of course, at that point, Purdue fans would be ecstatic anyway and it is very likely that whatever school hires him would pay that penalty, so it is a win-win.
Buyout before Dec 5 2017 $5.9 million. After Dec 5 $4.9 million
https://www.hammerandrails.com/2017/6/15/15812474/jeff-brohm-purdue-contract-bonuses-stipend

ur

Quote from: ricepig on October 25, 2017, 01:07:54 pm
This site lists what they think the coaches owes it they leave on their own.

https://projects.newsday.com/databases/long-island/college-football-coaches-salaries-contracts/
Thanks rice. Excellent link. Norvell's buyout was $500k before the extension. Not sure if it increased or not. Hope it didn't. That would be a steal compared to the others.

ur

Matt Campbell:

Buyout is just the total compensation which is base plus additional (not incentives) (6.2 mill).
The Buyout is 6.2 mill, plus $200k to pay the Toledo buyout loan
The Buyout
If Iowa State were to terminate the contract without Just Cause then the buyout is standard boilerplate terminology that takes Campbell's Total Compensation (not Base Pay) times the years left on his contract. Say Campbell gets three years to work his craft, fails, and gets fired. He would then receive his 2019, 2020, and 2021 Total Compensation within 45 days of his termination. That amount comes out to $4.8M.

Surprisingly, if Campbell terminates the contract the same language applies. Say he gets those three years and gets plucked away by another school. Then it's the $4.8M left on his contract that comes back to the university within 45 days. It's tempting to believe that this means Campbell wants to stay for a long time, and maybe it's true, but it's far more likely that both parties went in to this with open minds.
[/quote]

LRHawg

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on October 25, 2017, 11:51:25 am
It was an extension.  And in context, entirely appropriate.  If you'll recall the feeling of excitement and hope coming off back to back shutout victories over LSU and OM, plus the big bowl win, the program very much appeared headed in the right direction. 

It's three years later, and now it does not appear to be working out.  Based on that article, it's really hard to argue that the admin acted inappropriately.  In fact, it looks like they did a heckuva job.

You're sugar-coating his record. What was his SEC record at the time of the extension? I agree, we did seem to be trending upward, but our conference record was still garbage, despite the good wins over LSU and Ole Miss.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on October 25, 2017, 11:26:38 am
That list is sickening.

We made Bielema the 17th highest paid coach without doing much of anything.

ALL of the coaches above him and in the general vicinity below him at least accomplished something of note and reached a level that Bert has never even come close to approaching.

I think a class-action lawsuit to recover some of the money paid to that clown might be in order for Arkansas taxpayers.
His salary didn't come out of mine and your taxes.  No grounds for a lawsuit.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: hogsanity on October 25, 2017, 12:58:53 pm
That was a " What do we do to stop Ohio St or Bama from getting Dabo if Urban or Saban literally drop dead tomorrow " buyout.

Difficult to believe Alabama will be willing/able to pay Swinney's buyout.

Of course, Swinney could decide that he wants to go to Alabama and is willing to forgo some of that $40 million buyout.

Either way, it will be expensive for Alabama to get Swinney.

Clemson has deep pockets, and Clemson is not playing around as it regards retaining Swinney.

ur

Wow, talk about a lopsided contract. Here is dabo's deal. He can walk to bama at ease. He pays "Swinney Buyout" if he decides to leave. Clemson pays "Clemson buyout"  if they fire him.
Here are the details of Swinney's base salary through the duration of the contract.

Year         Contract Total         Swinney Buyout     Clemson buyout

2017         $6 million                 $6 million            $35 million
2018         $6,200,000               $6 million            $30 million
2019         $6,200,000               $4 million            $25 million
2020         $6,300,000               $3 million            $20 million
2021         $6,400,000               $2 million            $15 million
2022         $6,500,000               $1 million            $10 million
2023         $6,600,000               $1 million            $6.6 million
2024         $6,600,000                n/a                      0

In addition to the base salary, he will receive a $1.5 million signing bonus, a $1 million retention bonus on March 1, 2019 and a $700,000 retention bonus on March 1, 2021. With those bonuses included, Swinney will average $6.75 million per year. In addition to Swinney's buyout should he leave on his own listed above, the school's buyout of Swinney is $5 million multiplied by the number of years left on the contract for the first six years of the deal, followed by the total salary figure for the final two years of the contract.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/clemson-coach-dabo-swinney-agree-to-8-year-extension-worth-6-75-million-per-year/

Bacons Rebellion

Let's try "Tater Tot from Akron" for $50,000, Alex. SEC experience.

DoctorSusscrofa

That list is sickening.

ALL of the coaches above him and in the general vicinity below him at least accomplished something of note and reached a level that Bert has never even come close to approaching.

I think a class-action lawsuit to recover some of the money paid to that clown might be in order for Arkansas taxpayers.

Yeah, you file that suit so we can watch.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

majp51

Quote from: phadedhawg on October 25, 2017, 11:13:18 am
Impressive buyout numbers for a lot of less than impressive coaches.  I guess there will be a lot of ADs getting the ax soon.

Those are what the coach has to pay to get out , not the other way around. Otherwise Bielema wouldn't be on the list for only 5 Million

ricepig

Quote from: majp51 on October 25, 2017, 08:12:27 pm
Those are what the coach has to pay to get out , not the other way around. Otherwise Bielema wouldn't be on the list for only 5 Million

No, read it again.....

GoldCoastHog

Quote from: redneckfriend on October 25, 2017, 11:47:17 am
Are you kidding me! All we need to do is fire Long and Bielema and natty here we come. The level of delusional thinking on Hogville is truly shocking to me. I would expect people who follow a sport to understand that players play. We don't have the players to win- that is Bielema's fault but to think some other coach is suddenly going to overcome the recruiting disadvantages here is a fantasy. Maybe someone can do better but expecting miracles is crazy. Maybe 8, even 9, wins a year some years, 7 others and rebuilding years? - 6?, 5? who knows? It is what it is folks.

When I read comments like these; I ask myself " why don't people bother to take a short stroll down memory lane "every once in a while, and just check some numbers?

Nutt won 8 or more games 6 out of 10 seasons as head coach, and Petrino 3 out of 4 seasons?! What gives ? Damn people.. that's 9 out of 14 seasons with MINIMUM 8 wins.

ricepig

Quote from: GoldCoastHog on October 26, 2017, 06:09:58 am
When I read comments like these; I ask myself " why don't people bother to take a short stroll down memory lane "every once in a while, and just check some numbers?

Nutt won 8 or more games 6 out of 10 seasons as head coach, and Petrino 3 out of 4 seasons?! What gives ? Damn people.. that's 9 out of 14 seasons with MINIMUM 8 wins.

Probably because they are going on the "average" since 1992?

rhames

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 25, 2017, 06:39:14 pm
Difficult to believe Alabama will be willing/able to pay Swinney's buyout.

Of course, Swinney could decide that he wants to go to Alabama and is willing to forgo some of that $40 million buyout.

Either way, it will be expensive for Alabama to get Swinney.

Clemson has deep pockets, and Clemson is not playing around as it regards retaining Swinney.

The 40MM is if Clemson fired him, not if he left on his own.

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

smb

GeorgiaHOG

lilRockNDubb

That list is sickening.

Well since tax payers of Arkansas don't pay his salary how much of a case would you see in that??

majp51

Quote from: ricepig on October 25, 2017, 08:52:35 pm
No, read it again.....

Rice if that is the case, then it means we could part ways with CBB for a paltry 5.8 Million, versus the 15 Million number everyone keeps floating.

BearsBisonsBoars

That list is sickening.

Most of that money comes from boosters and media revenue. Do you really think an extremely poor state of ~3 million is paying millions of dollars to a coach out of its tax revenue??

ricepig

Quote from: majp51 on October 26, 2017, 09:18:46 am
Rice if that is the case, then it means we could part ways with CBB for a paltry 5.8 Million, versus the 15 Million number everyone keeps floating.

Correct, I'm guessing you've been away from HV for about 10 days, his buyout is $5.9m according to the ADG and lawyers.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/oct/12/bielema-buyout-under-15-million/

The Hawg Marshal

Yes, that came out a couple of weeks ago. It's why we have hope.

gchamblee

That was a fun day when Hogville realized they had been wanting to fire Jeff for a contract that didn't exist lol. Good on you for finally catching up.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: LRHawg on October 25, 2017, 01:42:34 pm
You're sugar-coating his record. What was his SEC record at the time of the extension? I agree, we did seem to be trending upward, but our conference record was still garbage, despite the good wins over LSU and Ole Miss.

I'm not sugar-coating anything.  The program was a dumpster fire after Petrino wrecked and John L. smiled. Did you really expect instant success?  Bielema came in, had a brutal first season, then things genuinely improved.  It really looked like the program was taking on Bielema's professed identity.  He got an extension... like almost all coaches get ALL the time.  Nothing drastically changed about his contract or initial buy-out.  Now things aren't working. 

GoldCoastHog

Quote from: ricepig on October 26, 2017, 06:55:29 am
Probably because they are going on the "average" since 1992?

Ah, yes , must include all those interim years for good measure, getting off on the right foot in year one of SEC play with Joe Kines as an interim certainly lends a stable/ functional element to the averages, and who would ever want to leave out Smiley and his ten month contract? Makes perfect sense to me; my bad, carry on!

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: ricepig on October 26, 2017, 09:25:25 am
Correct, I'm guessing you've been away from HV for about 10 days, his buyout is $5.9m according to the ADG and lawyers.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/oct/12/bielema-buyout-under-15-million/
the guy who wrote this article for USA Today was on sports radio today in Memphis and he addressed the Arkansas situation a little bit.  He said that even HE missed it at first glance as far as BB's buyout is concerned.  He said the wording of the contract between UA and BB is very complicated and its easy to miss.  He was somewhat embarassed that he didnt pick up on it at first.  Anyway, yes, the buyout is much much less than all of us thought.  Just under $6M it seems.

Although the wholehogsports piece you reference ricepig makes it pretty clear.   Not hard to understand at all, but nevertheless it is what it is.  Its just not as much as I and a lot of folks thought it was.

ricepig

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on October 26, 2017, 11:07:43 am
the guy who wrote this article for USA Today was on sports radio today in Memphis and he addressed the Arkansas situation a little bit.  He said that even HE missed it at first glance as far as BB's buyout is concerned.  He said the wording of the contract between UA and BB is very complicated and its easy to miss.  He was somewhat embarassed that he didnt pick up on it at first.  Anyway, yes, the buyout is much much less than all of us thought.  Just under $6M it seems.

Although the wholehogsports piece you reference ricepig makes it pretty clear.   Not hard to understand at all, but nevertheless it is what it is.  Its just not as much as I and a lot of folks thought it was.

I was definitely in the wrong too, I thought it was the $15.4m. Now, I don't know what Long's contract is, haha. The letters on his to raises in 2012 and 2013 stipulated salary increases, buyouts, and such, but his original contract called to an automatic rollover every July 1st unless he was told otherwise, so, does it end in 2018 or 2022.

RazorPiggie

That list is sickening.

ALL of the coaches above him and in the general vicinity below him at least accomplished something of note and reached a level that Bert has never even come close to approaching. At Arkansas

From his days at Wisky he's done more than several around him and fyi I think he needs to be fired at the end of the season.

WizardofhOgZ

Surprised to see Kelly at Notre Dame so low (#64) and also with no buyout?

I knew he was on somewhat of a hot seat, but still surprised to see his comp numbers.  Based on this current season, that will change soon.

ricepig

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on October 26, 2017, 12:03:53 pm
Surprised to see Kelly at Notre Dame so low (#64) and also with no buyout?

I knew he was on somewhat of a hot seat, but still surprised to see his comp numbers.  Based on this current season, that will change soon.

ND is of course a private university, most say that's the salary on the "books" and that he's paid a lot more by their foundation. As to a buyout, I don't think any of the private schools list theirs. Miss St doesn't as it's between Mullen and their private foundation, and not subject to a FOI.