Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cole Kelley named #2 QB

Started by geauxhawgs, August 24, 2017, 02:42:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MultipleScoreGasms

Not really surprised.  All reports I read last year indicated Enos considered him the best QB for our style coming out of HS.  Other reports mentioned teammates referring to Kelley as the "franchise."  If he locks it down, I look for Storey to transfer at the end of the year.

Letsroll1200

Kelley, the young receivers, a experienced OL returning in 2018 and a solid running back corps is a reason to be optimistic about the offense going forward, if Arkansas can get to 8 wins this season.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: MultipleScoreGasms on August 24, 2017, 06:23:28 am
Not really surprised.  All reports I read last year indicated Enos considered him the best QB for our style coming out of HS.  Other reports mentioned teammates referring to Kelley as the "franchise."  If he locks it down, I look for Storey to transfer at the end of the year.

Coming into this season, I really thought Storey would be the back up and then the starter next year and what happened to ole what's his name from California? You know, the all American transfer from USC.
Hogs up! Covid down!

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: FineAsSwine on August 24, 2017, 10:11:57 am
Coming into this season, I really thought Storey would be the back up and then the starter next year and what happened to ole what's his name from California? You know, the all American transfer from USC.

Ricky Town is playing at a Jc in California I think

Update: yeah Ventura (junior) College. Will be able to transfer back to D1 with two years of eligibility. Hope he does well wherever he lands. If you google his name for "news" you just end up wading through articles about Sam Darnold.

If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

tbhogfan

I can't remember ANY quarterback at Arkansas physically larger than Cole. 

Mallett was 6-6 245, and Cole is 6-7 270.
Go Hogs!

1highhog

Quote from: FineAsSwine on August 24, 2017, 10:11:57 am

He gone.

Calling All Hogs

I remember when Kelley committed to Arkansas. Based on the QB lineup at that time and his recruiting ranking, I remember thinking the kid would never see the field and wondered why he would pick Arkansas. Truly a pleasant surprise! WPS

Hogs49ers

If Cole Kelley can show some accuracy and consistency when he takes over the job next year, big if, he would likely be a top 5 pick in the NFL draft based on his measurables.
SCREW Vandy!

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Hogs49ers on August 24, 2017, 11:34:17 am
If Cole Kelley can show some accuracy and consistency when he takes over the job next year, big if, he would likely be a top 5 pick in the NFL draft based on his measurables.

Or people will say he is too big.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Don't worry about our #3 QB, I bet he gets 5 to 8 plays all season unless injuries make the decision.  He may not even get to throw a pass but who knows, maybe.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Story leave before the season starts if there is a possibility of playing at the next lower level right now, somewhere, anywhere.  We need a good QB surprise within the last 10 days before the season starts to make the preseason complete.

PorkSoda

Quote from: MultipleScoreGasms on August 24, 2017, 06:23:28 am
I hope not, we need to have 3 QBs, if he can't win the job at arkansas, its not likely he is going to be drafted in the NFL, so he might as well get a degree from a real university over transferring to some FCS.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkRinds

Here's what I think. If we were to be in a game with a decent lead and AA goes down I think they'd put Storey to manage the game. If they needed a QB that makes things happen to go in and win the game it would be CK.

hview

I'm glad they named a #2 QB, but I hope Storey stays at Arkansas. We may need him. Even if he left, he could still be successful somewhere else and who knows he might even get a shot at the NFL someday. It worked out pretty good for Tarvaris Jackson. 

bennyl08

Quote from: daprospecta on August 24, 2017, 09:43:36 pm
Didn't know he was that big! I'm 6'4 255 and I look like I still play. Is he approaching Pillsbury throwboy status?

Doesn't appear so.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

daprospecta

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 24, 2017, 09:48:23 pm

Doesn't appear so.
My mistake. He carries it well. I expect he packs a mean stiff arm. 

twistitup

Quote from: hview on August 24, 2017, 09:46:49 pm
I'm glad they named a #2 QB, but I hope Storey stays at Arkansas. We may need him. Even if he left, he could still be successful somewhere else and who knows he might even get a shot at the NFL someday. It worked out pretty good for Tarvaris Jackson.

His arm is fresh
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

twistitup

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 24, 2017, 06:35:09 pm
Here's what I think. If we were to be in a game with a decent lead and AA goes down I think they'd put Storey to manage the game. If they needed a QB that makes things happen to go in and win the game it would be CK.

So, we.need 3?
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Rzbakfromwaybak

I hope Storey stays, always nice to have 3 QB's going into the season, that have been around our system for a couple of years.  Some years ago, remember one of the big schools lost their top 2 QB's to season injury in the first game of the season.  By the second half, they had their 3rd string QB in the game.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

nchogg

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on August 25, 2017, 01:07:26 am
I hope Storey stays, always nice to have 3 QB's going into the season, that have been around our system for a couple of years.  Some years ago, remember one of the big schools lost their top 2 QB's to season injury in the first game of the season.  By the second half, they had their 3rd string QB in the game.
I agree and have seen it before you never know what will happen in a game.

rzrbkman

Quote from: twistitup on August 24, 2017, 10:04:51 pm

So, we.need 3?

CBB stated in an interview a couple of years ago that he always preferred to have 5 QB's on scholarship at all times.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: rzrbkman on August 25, 2017, 06:56:25 am
CBB stated in an interview a couple of years ago that he always preferred to have 5 QB's on scholarship at all times.

Really only need 4 QBs at all times.

That extra QB scholarship could be used for a Linebacker. 

People wonder a lot why our Linebacker depth is not great.  Well, having 5 or 6 QBs on the roster helps explain why.

factchecker

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on August 26, 2017, 04:20:07 pm
Really only need 4 QBs at all times.

That extra QB scholarship could be used for a Linebacker. 

People wonder a lot why our Linebacker depth is not great.  Well, having 5 or 6 QBs on the roster helps explain why.

Only 4 of our 6 QBs are on scholarship.

08   Austin Allen   QB   Sr   6-1   215   Fayetteville, Ark.   Fayetteville HS
11   Daulton Hyatt   QB   Fr   6-4   188   Arab, Ala.   Etowah HS
15   Cole Kelley   QB   R-Fr   6-7   268   Lafayette, La.   Teurlings Catholic HS
04   Ty Storey   QB   So   6-2   212   Charleston, Ark.   Charleston HS

18   Jack Lindsey   QB   R-Fr   6-2   194   Fayetteville, Ark.   Springdale HS
14   Carson Proctor   QB   R-Fr   6-4   212   Vero Beach, Fla.   Vero Beach HS
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

GoHogs1091

Quote from: factchecker on August 26, 2017, 04:23:50 pm
Only 4 of our 6 QBs are on scholarship.

08   Austin Allen   QB   Sr   6-1   215   Fayetteville, Ark.   Fayetteville HS
11   Daulton Hyatt   QB   Fr   6-4   188   Arab, Ala.   Etowah HS
15   Cole Kelley   QB   R-Fr   6-7   268   Lafayette, La.   Teurlings Catholic HS
04   Ty Storey   QB   So   6-2   212   Charleston, Ark.   Charleston HS

18   Jack Lindsey   QB   R-Fr   6-2   194   Fayetteville, Ark.   Springdale HS
14   Carson Proctor   QB   R-Fr   6-4   212   Vero Beach, Fla.   Vero Beach HS

Don't be surprised if Lindsey ends up getting a scholarship, which would make 5 scholarship QBs.

The information coming out from the media is that Lindsey has really improved, which means he will probably earn a scholarship.

SamBuckhart

Ty Storey is one play away from #2.  Wooo Pig!.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

wikipedia brown

Im fairly sure that jack's grampa could afford the tuition. No need to put him on scholly in my opinion, we're lucky we have that homegrown talent.

bennyl08

Quote from: daprospecta on August 26, 2017, 08:57:59 pm
3 inches shorter and 15 lbs isn't too fat because I don't play QB. QB's are not known for their low BF% unless you are CAM or Mariota and few others.  If your QB is 270, it's usually not a good thing.  I saw the picture and he seems to carry it well.

Exactly, I was attempting to be succinct, but yeah. I mean, in my roster weights thread, when I saw his weight, my first thought was pillsbury throw boy, but then you remember that Skipper actually looked a bit thin at 317 just because he was 6'10 and Cole being 6'7, 270 is thick and stout, but not fat by any means.

His size certainly begs the question of fatness, but those questions are easily answered and put to bed, and then it's just fun to picture a CB coming off a blitz and not being sure how to bring this guy down.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

jgphillips3

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 26, 2017, 09:06:11 pm
Exactly, I was attempting to be succinct, but yeah. I mean, in my roster weights thread, when I saw his weight, my first thought was pillsbury throw boy, but then you remember that Skipper actually looked a bit thin at 317 just because he was 6'10 and Cole being 6'7, 270 is thick and stout, but not fat by any means.

His size certainly begs the question of fatness, but those questions are easily answered and put to bed, and then it's just fun to picture a CB coming off a blitz and not being sure how to bring this guy down.

I would love to see the cornerback or safety coming on a blitz trying to take Cole down.  He might not even know they were there.

bennyl08

Quote from: jgphillips3 on August 27, 2017, 01:35:09 am
I would love to see the cornerback or safety coming on a blitz trying to take Cole down.  He might not even know they were there.

WilsonHog

Thread cleaned up and unlocked.

This time around, let's see if we can confine the conversation to Razorback football. That would be a novel, yet perhaps totally appropriate, approach.

The Kig

Excited to see what he can do next year.  He beat out several guys with higher recruiting numbers.  It's not that those other guys were slouches, rather CK may be the real deal.

Sincerely hope AA stays healthy this year and we get to see Cole in some mop up work.
Poker Porker

WilsonHog

Quote from: The Kig on August 27, 2017, 11:57:38 am
Excited to see what he can do next year.  He beat out several guys with higher recruiting numbers.  It's not that those other guys were slouches, rather CK may be the real deal.

Sincerely hope AA stays healthy this year and we get to see Cole in some mop up work.

Cole should get some mop-up work Thursday night, but the question is how much. Practice is fine, but there is no substitution for game reps in live action. If all goes to plan, I would expect Austin to get the first three quarters, regardless of the score. He needs game reps to get his timing down with pretty much a new group of receivers, and to get reps against a live pass rush.

Mike_e

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 26, 2017, 09:06:11 pm

It'd be our luck that if Cole stiff armed a would be tackler and then completed a 50 pass in the process he'd get thrown out of the game for unnecessary roughness.

That would be fun to watch though.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

ricepig

Quote from: WilsonHog on August 27, 2017, 12:13:46 pm
Cole should get some mop-up work Thursday night, but the question is how much. Practice is fine, but there is no substitution for game reps in live action. If all goes to plan, I would expect Austin to get the first three quarters, regardless of the score. He needs game reps to get his timing down with pretty much a new group of receivers, and to get reps against a live pass rush.

Hopefully it's such a wide margin that Austin only plays one scoring drive in the third quarter. If it's out of hand there is no need for him to be in there handing off to the RB's.

PonderinHog

Quote from: ricepig on August 27, 2017, 12:18:54 pm
Hopefully it's such a wide margin that Austin only plays one scoring drive in the third quarter. If it's out of hand there is no need for him to be in there handing off to the RB's.
Our luck would be Austin plays the whole game and ...

nm - I ain't goin' there...   :-X

rljjr

Glad it's settled for the public and that every player continues to strive to be a starter.

texas tush hog

Quote from: wikipedia brown on August 26, 2017, 06:17:18 pm
Im fairly sure that jack's grampa could afford the tuition. No need to put him on scholly in my opinion, we're lucky we have that homegrown talent.

Well, his daddy and uncle were put on scholarships,it's a status thing, don't you know.