Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I uinderstand some teams located in big recruiting zones

Started by nwahogfan1, August 22, 2017, 09:04:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

nwahogfan1

turning their programs around faster than us but Penn State is not one of them.  They almost had the death penalty thrown at them but here they are now one of the top teams in the country.   Pennsylvania turns out more Football recruits from Arkansas but don't they get most of their recruits from other states.

Come on CBB,  lets really step it up this year.  This is year 5.    Let start really be UNCOMMON.

Inhogswetrust

There are a couple of big cities in Pennsylvania. They go to other close by places to recruit as well. It is not to far from a lot of population. The state itself has almost 13 million people!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Ā 

mizzouman

Don't underestimate Penn State.  It's all about football and despite the last few years, it's still a very attractive program for recruits from all over the country.

Pig Power

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Pennsylvania is between New York and Ohio. Theres plenty talent within a relatively short drive. Not to mention Penn State is a big name
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

OneLardAlmighty

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on August 22, 2017, 09:04:48 am
turning their programs around faster than us but Penn State is not one of them.  They almost had the death penalty thrown at them but here they are now one of the top teams in the country.   Pennsylvania turns out more Football recruits from Arkansas but don't they get most of their recruits from other states.

Come on CBB,  lets really step it up this year.  This is year 5.    Let start really be UNCOMMON.

I haven't looked at the composition of the current Penn State roster, but they have always been really active here in the DC/ Baltimore/Northern Va metro area.  This metro area churns out a decent amount of D1 football talent annually, and there is no one local school really capable of capitalizing on that.  So PSU has traditionally been one of the heavy hitters here.

DoctorSusscrofa

Despite the scandal they had, Penn St and Joe Paterno will always be tier 1. They're like Notre Dame. Recent history can tarnish their reputation but it can't destroy it.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

hogcard1964

They've turned it around, and fast after a major scandal that should have crippled them for 10+ years.

We're still floundering from simply bad coaching hires.

hogsanity

If you've ever gone to hs games in Western Pa, you would know how they can rebuild/reload quickly. Those schools turn out linemen and linebackers by the dozens. Also, western Pa has produced alot of really good qb's. Then they can go to the big cities in PA or in neighboring states that are close to campus and get skill position players.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

colbs

For the 2018 class PA has 11 kids ranked 4* or higher.  Then they have 20-30 kids committed or have offers from P5 schools.  Arkansas only has 2 players ranked 4* or higher.  It looks like 10-12 players have been offered by P5 schools or committed to a P5 school. 

Also, you have to keep in mind that Penn State is considered one of the elites in CFB.

hogsanity

Quote from: colbs on August 22, 2017, 10:19:38 am
For the 2018 class PA has 11 kids ranked 4* or higher.  Then they have 20-30 kids committed or have offers from P5 schools.  Arkansas only has 2 players ranked 4* or higher.  It looks like 10-12 players have been offered by P5 schools or committed to a P5 school. 

Also, you have to keep in mind that Penn State is considered one of the elites in CFB.

it is 200 miles or less to new jersey, maryland, northern VA, plus the big in state cities of Philly and Pittsburgh.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Ham Ham Pigelow

Penn State has always made its hay along the NE corridor, between DC and Boston, where college football takes a back seat to all three big professional sports.  Penn State by default has been the landing spot for football talent due to proximity.  Who can compete with Penn State in the NE?  Syracuse, Boston College, Rutgers? 

hogfan14

Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 22, 2017, 10:04:52 am
They've turned it around, and fast after a major scandal that should have crippled them for 10+ years.

I think some people overestimate the impact off the field scandals have on the actual teams (unless it's like the death penalty). The worst season USC had after their sanctions was 7-6 and they just won the Rose Bowl. Wouldn't surprise me if Rhule turns around Baylor pretty quick too.

Ā 

tzthib

Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 22, 2017, 10:04:52 am

Yep. There will always be an excuse for why other people do well and we do poorly, and it is always something we cannot control like location. "Oh, if only we were located closer to (insert some relatively large population center) or farther away from (insert other SEC school)...we would be world beaters!"

Atlhogfan1

They didn't almost have the death penalty.

Compare their classes to their Big 10 competition.  You will find they outrecruited most of the conference and some by a wide margin. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

Quote from: tzthib on August 22, 2017, 11:10:07 am
Yep. There will always be an excuse for why other people do well and we do poorly, and it is always something we cannot control like location. "Oh, if only we were located closer to (insert some relatively large population center) or farther away from (insert other SEC school)...we would be world beaters!"

So it is merely a coincidence that almost all of the top teams in college football year after year come from areas in close proximity to large population centers? No correlation between being close to large #'s of top level players and having strong programs year after year after year?

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: Pig Power on August 22, 2017, 09:45:26 am
Gotta give James Franklin some credit up there...
Agreed. And we can't say that he can do fine there but would not make it in the SEC since he proved himself at Vandy. Back when we were looking for a coach I said hiring James Franklin would be decision most fans would hate immediately but love in three years.

RazorPiggie

This tracker also went as specific as the distance from hometown to college campus. Hawaii, the Pac-12, and service academies come out with the furthest distances recruits travel to go to school.

You can tell who the local recruiters are, taking advantage of the homegrown talent, particularly the smaller schools in the Midwest, as well as a few SEC schools. Impressive that Mississippi State and Houston really take advantage of that local talent and produce wins.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting/2016/8/31/12653092/arizona-wildcats-football-recruiting-mapping-pac-12-recruits-across-the-country-distance-hometowns

RazorPiggie

Here's a heat map of every top-15 recruit's hometown, from 2000 to 2017, using consensus rankings from the 247Sports Composite. This comes, initially, from our collection of 25 maps that explain college football.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/8/23/12607342/recruits-states-rankings

RazorPiggie

Just look at those maps and you'll understand why they recruit the way they recruit.

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on August 22, 2017, 11:19:35 am
So it is merely a coincidence that almost all of the top teams in college football year after year come from areas in close proximity to large population centers? No correlation between being close to large #'s of top level players and having strong programs year after year after year?

That's not necessarily historically true.  Nebraska is not near large population centers and they are one of the most storied programs in college football history.  And...their national championships came after integration, so that explanation won't work, either.  What recruiting advantages does Oklahoma have?  That they can recruit a neighboring state?  If they can, who can't?  Arkansas was one of the top programs in the nation for three decades during the Broyles/Holtz/Hatfield days, although Hatfield's programs probably weren't as strong as Broyles' and Holtz's best teams.

On the other side of the coin, a lot of the schools with so many "advantages"...Florida, Miami, even Alabama before the Bear, have struggled until they got outstanding coaches who turned them around.

RazorPiggie

Also a 250 mile radius from State College,PA shows a population base of just over 58 million. Whereas 250 mile radius from Fayettevilles population base is only 14.5 million.

http://www.statsamerica.org/radius/big.aspx

SDZ_Hog

Pretty common sense stuff here.  Isolated schools that are considered national programs are few and far between.   

jkstock04

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on August 22, 2017, 11:22:58 am
Agreed. And we can't say that he can do fine there but would not make it in the SEC since he proved himself at Vandy. Back when we were looking for a coach I said hiring James Franklin would be decision most fans would hate immediately but love in three years.
He seemed extremely Houston Nutt-ish to me...him and his coaches on the sidelines looked like a bozo the clown-chinese fire drill. But you can't deny what the guy has done at Penn St...very impressive. I'm still in awe of the Big 10 changing their culture completely around. It seems like yesterday we were laughing at them.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Ā 

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 22, 2017, 11:39:06 am
That's not necessarily historically true.  Nebraska is not near large population centers and they are one of the most storied programs in college football history.  And...their national championships came after integration, so that explanation won't work, either.  What recruiting advantages does Oklahoma have?  That they can recruit a neighboring state?  If they can, who can't?  Arkansas was one of the top programs in the nation for three decades during the Broyles/Holtz/Hatfield days, although Hatfield's programs probably weren't as strong as Broyles' and Holtz's best teams.

On the other side of the coin, a lot of the schools with so many "advantages"...Florida, Miami, even Alabama before the Bear, have struggled until they got outstanding coaches who turned them around.

Nebraska fell off the earth when the NCAA closed the loophole they had been using to bring in kids on Ag scholarships, AND then they went stupid and decided they needed to have an "exciting" passing offense.

And I said ALMOST all, there is always an exception. Oklahoma has always gotten a ton of talent out of North Texas. Arkansas was and still will always be good when they get an exceptional group of in state players that they can build around by bringing in a handful of top players from other states. But the depth of talent, the backbone of a team, the ability to have really good layers to replace excellent players is what these schools have that teams away from those population bases do not. Even Oklahoma struggles with having quality depth alot of the time.

I love it " even Alabama before the bear " he was hired in 1958 so we are talking 59 years ago.

I am not going to get into coaches with you again, because we all know you would cuddle up to BP if he shot your dog and burned down your house. No one is going to say coach does not matter, but so much more goes into building a college football team. There is a reason guys like Saban end up doing well at Bama and not at Buffalo or Ball St.

RazorPiggie

Oklahoma can go into Texas and recruit so well because they will play several games every year in Texas.

Atlhogfan1

Nebraska is a has been program which has declined the longer they have been away from an 8 team all-plains states conference. 

We know OU's history in north Texas and their proximity.  Plus they have only had one program who recruits on an elite level in their conference.  It isn't only a program's own ability to recruit but its conference's ability. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

Quote from: SDZ_Hog on August 22, 2017, 11:42:55 am
Pretty common sense stuff here.  Isolated schools that are considered national programs are few and far between.   

I dont know, there are those here who tell us all you gotta do is hire the right coach and the players AND fans just have to want it. Maybe they are right, if a team has a 5'9" 130lb corner back that runs a 5.1 if he wants it bad enough he can cover a 6'3" 210 lb wr that runs a 4.4.

tzthib

Does being near a big population of good football players help? Yeah, probably. Is it the sum totality of what makes a good football program? No.

I'm just struck by how deterministic many people are here. When asked why Penn State is doing well, many point to their location and history as if their quick bounce back was somehow preordained. All the athletic department had to do was show up to work and everything would fall into place.

hogsanity

Quote from: tzthib on August 22, 2017, 02:00:22 pm
Does being near a big population of good football players help? Yeah, probably. Is it the sum totality of what makes a good football program? No.

I'm just struck by how deterministic many people are here. When asked why Penn State is doing well, many point to their location and history as if their quick bounce back was somehow preordained. All the athletic department had to do was show up to work and everything would fall into place.

What is so hard to underatand about kids bieng raised close to a certain school. They hear about that certain school for years. School wins some games, school is on tv all the time school recruits other players from their area, maybe even older kids at their high school so when it is time to decide on a school, they go to that school?

It is the same reason a guy like Dmac went to AR.  The only problem is for every 4 or 5 star kid growing up in or near Fayetteveille, they are 10 growing up in or near Bama or LSU or Pn St.

RazorWest

It's not just talent and it's not just coaching, it's the combination of the two.  Great coaches can do great things some of the time at non-talent rich schools (Snyder, Petrino, etc.) and great talent can mask subpar coaches at talent rich schools some of the time (Coker, Chizik) but to be consistently great you need both (Saban, Meyer)

Inhogswetrust

August 22, 2017, 03:00:11 pm #31 Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 04:54:22 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: hogfan14 on August 22, 2017, 11:04:34 am
I think some people overestimate the impact off the field scandals have on the actual teams (unless it's like the death penalty). The worst season USC had after their sanctions was 7-6 and they just won the Rose Bowl. Wouldn't surprise me if Rhule turns around Baylor pretty quick too.

Baylors tradition is nonexistent compared to Penn State and USC.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hoggish1

Actually, PSU is a program that has a large recruiting base all to themselves.  Try again...

razorbackinthegrove

I am very happy with Coach B but far and away Franklin was my first choice.  What he did at Vandy shows what a true recruiter can do.

GoHogzzGo

It's all about coaching. Petrino and Saban are perfect examples of that. Petrino almost immediately turned us around, Saban immediately turned Bama around. Plain and simple.

Still like CBB, but it is all about coaching.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on August 22, 2017, 11:50:22 am
Nebraska is a has been program which has declined the longer they have been away from an 8 team all-plains states conference.   

The "they were an overrated team in a weak conference" explanation doesn't work on Nebraska.  They won five national championships between 1970 and 1997, and in four of those five years they capped off their championship seasons by beating SEC teams in bowls.  The seasons and the scores were:

1970 Nebraska 17, LSU 12...LSU was the undefeated, untied SEC champion
1971 Nebraska 38, Alabama 6...Bear Bryant brought an 11-0 SEC champ to the Orange Bowl and got pummeled
1995 Nebraska 62, Florida 24...Steve Spurrier was in the third year of four straight SEC title, 34-2 in the conference run when his Gators got humiliated
1997 Nebraska 42, Tennessee 17...Peyton Manning, Jamal Lewis, Travis Henry, Leonard Little and Company got run out of the Orange Bowl

That's an average beatdown of Nebraska 40, SEC 15.

Those weren't the only times Nebraska played SEC teams in bowl games.  In between the following were also played:

1974 Sugar Bowl  Nebraska 13, Florida 10
1980 Sun Bowl  Nebraska 31, Mississippi State 17
1982 Orange Bowl  Nebraska 21, LSU 20
1984 Sugar Bowl  Nebraska 28, LSU 10
1984 Sugar Bowl  Nebraska 30, LSU 15

9-0.  Nebraska went 9-0 in bowl games against the SEC between 1970 and 1997.  It seems pounding SEC teams in bowls was pretty much what they did best.

What changed?  Did Nebraska become even less populous and more disadvantaged?  No, Tom Osborne retired after the 1997 season and took his 255-49-3 record with him.  Osborne had succeeded Hall of Famer Bob Devaney, who was 101-20-2 at Nebraska himself.  Think about that.  Between 1962 and 1997, 36 years, Nebraska's record was 356-69-5.  Their average season was 10-2.

Then, they hired a series of lesser coaches who simply couldn't get it done.  Frank Solich, who is now coaching at Ohio University.  Bill Callahan, who was a disaster.  Bo Pellini.  Mike Riley.

The "their conference is weak but ours is strong" argument is tired, and it definitely doesn't work on Nebraska.

Atlhogfan1

August 22, 2017, 03:35:29 pm #36 Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 04:02:03 pm by Atlhogfan1
Quote from: EastexHawg on August 22, 2017, 03:24:47 pm
The "they were an overrated team in a weak conference" explanation doesn't work on Nebraska.  They won five national championships between 1970 and 1997, and in four of those five years they capped off their championship seasons by beating SEC teams in bowls.  The seasons and the scores were:

1971 Nebraska 38, Alabama 6...Bear Bryant brought an 11-0 SEC champ to the Orange Bowl and got pummeled
1995 Nebraska 62, Florida 24...Steve Spurrier was in the third year of four straight SEC title, 34-2 in the conference run when his Gators got humiliated
1997 Nebraska 42, Tennessee 17...Peyton Manning, Jamal Lewis, Travis Henry, Leonard Little and Company got run out of the Orange Bowl

Those weren't the only times Nebraska played SEC teams in bowl games.  In between the following were also played:

9-0.  Nebraska went 9-0 in bowl games against the SEC between 1970 and 1997.  It seems pounding SEC teams in bowls was pretty much what they did best.

What changed?  Did Nebraska become even less populous and more disadvantaged?  No, Tom Osborne retired after the 1997 season and took his 255-49-3 record with him.  Osborne had succeeded Hall of Famer Bob Devaney, who was 101-20-2 at Nebraska himself.  Think about that.  Between 1962 and 1997, 36 years, Nebraska's record was 356-69-5.  Their average season was 10-2.

Then, they hired a series of lesser coaches who simply couldn't get it done.  Frank Solich, who is now coaching at Ohio University.  Bill Callahan, who was a disaster.  Bo Pellini.  Mike Riley.

The "their conference is weak but ours is strong" argument is tired, and it definitely doesn't work on Nebraska.

I didn't make that argument.  You created that argument in order to create a rebuttal.

What I did say was Nebraska made their brand in a conference where all of its fellow members were in the plains states.  Not weak but different from the super conferences they have joined since where programs had a home recruiting base of Texas and now Michigan, Ohio, Pa and the East Coast.  College football is in a new era.  For the last 15 years, most of the superconference era, Nebraska has been an irrelevant program.  Still good.  Usually competitive.  But the brand of being a power is gone.  The brand they used to recruit has faded while the competition has gotten deeper. 

sickboy

1. How does nwahogfan1 post this "ish" and fly off without a peep? Admit your ignorance, nwahogfan1! Admit it!

2. If Penn State, one of the elite schools when it comes to tradition in college football, can't get taken down by a scandal where one of the coaches was literally molesting players in the showers... it should go to show you that nothing could take down a power program. Literally nothing. By this metric, Notre Dame could have been revealed to have plotted the holocaust and they'd probably still be in a top 25 poll next season.

phadedhawg

Maybe you get your scores from somewhere else but I still show them as winless this season...  :)

EastexHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on August 22, 2017, 03:35:29 pm
I didn't make that argument.  You created that argument in order to create a rebuttal.

You did make the argument when you said:

The SEC is supposedly the premier football conference in America.  Nebraska went 9-0 against nine SEC teams with a combined record of 85-14-2.  That's like playing a top ten SEC team nine times and beating them every time.  The conference (SEC) record of the four teams they thrashed for national championships was 29-1.

They had two of the all-time great coaches.  They retired.  The successors haven't been as good.  It happens.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 22, 2017, 04:05:27 pm
You did make the argument when you said:

The SEC is supposedly the premier football conference in America.  Nebraska went 9-0 against nine SEC teams with a combined record of 85-14-2.  That's like playing a top ten SEC team nine times and beating them every time.  The conference (SEC) record of the four teams they thrashed for national championships was 29-1.

They had two of the all-time great coaches.  They retired.  The successors haven't been as good.  It happens.

You went back to 1970.  7 of the 9 games were from 1970 to 1985.  Not relevant to now.

You try and make the same veiled argument in nearly every thread.  We get it.  Coaching makes a difference.  I don't disagree. 

Hoginsavga

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 22, 2017, 03:24:47 pm

Be careful making a favorable post like that about the success of another team. Certain posters will tell you to go be a fan of the Cornhuskers. You made a great recap of their history and the wonderful accomplishments they achieved with a somewhat limited recruiting base by having two of the best coaches in college football.

Their history somewhat parallels ours. Their program fell off when Coach Osborne retired and they brought in Frank Solich. Although IMO they let Solich go too early. Our program started downhill when Coach Hatfield left and we had a string of bad hires up to CBP. CBP was a great hire for coaching ability and a terrible hire stability of the program.

So both were great programs when the good coaches were present at both universities. Some would argue that Danny Ford was a good hire. I think he was while coaching Clemson but I also think that innovation in college football had passed him by the time he arrived at Arkansas. Coach Nutt was an average coach when you look at his entire body of work. He was terrible at Ole Miss. Therefore when we look at our program from 1992 through 2007, is that a fair timeframe to use as a standard for what we could possibly accomplish in the SEC? I say it isn't. I have said on a different thread that I think 2017 will be the defining year under the present staff. I would not necessarily quantify in terms of number of wins but in  competitiveness of all of the games. Nevertheless, I will be disappointed if we fail to win 10 games including the bowl game. I think the right players are here as well as the, hopefully, coaching staff.

Seebs

2017 PENN STATE NITTANY LIONS
NO   NAME   POS   HT   WT   CLASS   HOMETOWN
1   Christian Campbell   CB   6-1   194   SR   Phenix City, AL
1   KJ Hamler   WR   5-9   165   FR   Pontiac, MI
2   Marcus Allen   S   6-2   202   SR   Upper Marlboro, MD
2   Tommy Stevens   QB   6-4   218   JR   Indianapolis, IN
3   DeAndre Thompkins   WR   5-11   190   SR   Hubert, NC
4   Nick Scott   S   5-11   200   SR   Fairfax, VA
5   DaeSean Hamilton   WR   6-1   205   SR   Fredericksburg, VA
6   Andre Robinson   RB   5-9   216   JR   Mechanicsburg, PA
7   Koa Farmer   LB   6-1   222   SR   Lake View Terrace, CA
7   Jake Zembiec   QB   6-3   205   SO   Rochester, NY
8   Mark Allen   RB   5-6   181   SR   Hyattsville, MD
9   Trace McSorley   QB   6-0   205   SR   Ashburn, VA
9   Jarvis Miller   LB   6-2   205   JR   Suffield, CT
10   Brandon Polk   WR   5-9   175   JR   Ashburn, VA
11   Irvin Charles   WR   6-4   219   JR   Sicklerville, NJ
12   Desi Davis   CB   5-11   178   SR   Ardmore, PA
13   Saeed Blacknall   WR   6-3   212   SR   Manalapan, NJ
14   Zech McPhearson   CB   5-11   180   SO   Columbia, MD
15   Grant Haley   CB   5-9   185   SR   Atlanta, GA
15   Michael Shuster   QB   6-2   200   SO   Camp Hill, PA
16   Billy Fessler   QB   5-11   188   SR   Erie, PA
16   John Petrishen   S   6-0   209   JR   Lower Burrell, PA
17   Garrett Taylor   S   6-0   193   JR   Richmond, VA
18   Jonathan Holland   TE   6-4   245   JR   Brandywine, MD
18   Shaka Toney   DE   6-3   195   SO   Philadelphia, PA
19   Torrence Brown   DE   6-3   257   SR   Tuscaloosa, AL
20   Jabari Butler   CB   5-11   180   JR   Potomac, MD
20   Johnathan Thomas   LB   5-11   220   SR   Peabody, MA
21   Amani Oruwariye   CB   6-1   201   SR   Tampa, FL
23   Ayron Monroe   S   5-11   204   JR   Largo, MD
24   Miles Sanders   RB   5-11   205   SO   Pittsburgh, PA
25   Brelin Faison-Walden   LB   6-1   200   FR   Greensboro, NC
26   Saquon Barkley   RB   5-11   223   JR   Coplay, PA
27   T.J. Johnson   CB   6-2   180   SO   Cleveland, OH
28   Troy Apke   S   6-1   206   SR   Mt. Lebanon, PA
29   John Reid   CB   5-10   191   JR   Mount Laurel, NJ
30   Kevin Givens   DT   6-1   275   JR   Altoona, PA
31   Cameron Brown   LB   6-5   215   SO   Burtonsville, MD
31   Christopher Welde   WR   5-7   156   JR   Newtown, PA
32   Mitchell Vallone   S   5-9   192   SR   Johnsonburg, PA
33   Jake Cooper   LB   6-1   230   JR   Doylestown, PA
34   Shane Simmons   DE   6-3   240   SO   Laurel, MD
36   Jan Johnson   LB   6-2   216   JR   Mohnton, PA
36   Troy Shorts   CB   5-10   192   JR   Sicklerville, NJ
38   Lamont Wade   CB   5-9   190   FR   Clairton, PA
39   Frank Di Leo   LB   5-9   210   JR   Elmhurst, IL
39   Josh McPhearson   WR   5-10   197   SR   Columbia, MD
40   Jason Cabinda   LB   6-1   232   SR   Flemington, NJ
40   Nick Eury   RB   5-9   213   SO   Shavertown, PA
41   Joe Arcangelo   TE   6-4   230   SO   Clarks Summit, PA
41   Parker Cothren   DT   6-4   295   SR   Huntsville, AL
42   Ellison Jordan   DT   6-0   285   SO   Upper Marlboro, MD
43   Manny Bowen   LB   6-1   220   JR   Barnegat, NJ
45   Joe DuMond   LB   5-10   240   SO   Philadelphia, PA
46   Colin Castagna   DE   6-4   253   JR   Barrington, IL
47   Will Blair   S   5-11   209   SO   Lancaster, PA
47   Brandon Smith   LB   6-0   228   SR   Winfield, PA
48   Shareef Miller   DE   6-5   255   JR   Philadelphia, PA
49   Daniel Joseph   DE   6-3   255   SO   Brampton, ON
51   Alex Gellerstedt   OL   6-6   297   SO   Dublin, OH
51   Jason Vranic   LB   6-0   217   SR   Wheatfield, NY
52   Ryan Bates   OL   6-4   305   JR   Warrington, PA
52   Curtis Cothran   DT   6-5   280   SR   Newtown, PA
54   Robert Windsor   DT   6-4   305   JR   Fond Du Lac, WI
55   Antonio Shelton   DT   6-2   290   SO   Westerville, OH
56   Tyrell Chavis   DT   6-3   295   SR   Richmond, VA
59   Andrew Nelson   OL   6-6   306   SR   Hershey, PA
62   Michal Menet   OL   6-4   296   SO   Birdsboro, PA
64   Zach Simpson   OL   6-3   292   JR   Hollidaysburg, PA
66   Connor McGovern   OL   6-5   310   SO   Larksville, PA
68   Hunter Kelly   OL   6-2   280   SO   Langhorne, PA
70   Brendan Mahon   OL   6-4   320   SR   Randolph, NJ
71   Will Fries   OL   6-6   295   SO   Cranford, NJ
73   Mike Miranda   OL   6-3   295   FR   Stow, OH
74   Steven Gonzalez   OL   6-4   334   JR   Union City, NJ
76   Sterling Jenkins   OL   6-8   328   JR   Pittsburgh, PA
77   Chasz Wright   OL   6-7   343   SR   Woodbridge, VA
79   Charlie Shuman   OL   6-8   290   SR   Pittsford, NY
80   Danny Dalton   TE   6-4   247   SO   Marshfield, MA
81   Steven Grampp   TE   6-3   240   SO   East Stroudsburg, PA
82   Tyler Shoop   WR   5-11   170   JR   Nashville, TN
83   Nick Bowers   TE   6-4   264   JR   Kittanning, PA
84   Juwan Johnson   WR   6-4   218   JR   Glassboro, NJ
85   Isaac Lutz   WR   5-11   190   SO   Reading, PA
86   Cody Hodgens   WR   5-7   173   SR   Wesley Chapel, FL
87   Dae'Lun Darien   WR   6-4   195   SO   Baltimore, MD
88   Mike Gesicki   TE   6-6   252   SR   Manahawkin, NJ
89   Colton Maxwell   WR   6-0   181   SO   Northampton, PA
89   Tom Pancoast   TE   6-3   235   SR   West Chester, PA
90   Alex Barbir   PK   5-9   195   SO   Cumming, GA
91   Ryan Monk   DT   6-1   290   JR   Dallas, PA
92   Daniel Pasquariello   P   6-1   197   SR   --
93   Blake Gillikin   P   6-2   182   SO   Smyrna, GA
95   Tyler Davis   PK   5-11   180   SR   Saint Charles, IL
96   Immanuel Iyke   DT   6-2   280   JR   Hackettstown, NJ
96   Kyle Vasey   LS   6-2   242   SR   Hawley, PA
97   Ryan Buchholz   DE   6-6   270   JR   Malvern, PA
99   Joey Julius   PK   5-10   258   SR   Hummelstown, PA
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

hogsanity

Quote from: Seebs on August 22, 2017, 04:58:57 pm
2017 PENN STATE NITTANY LIONS
NO   NAME   POS   HT   WT   CLASS   HOMETOWN
1   Christian Campbell   CB   6-1   194   SR   Phenix City, AL
1   KJ Hamler   WR   5-9   165   FR   Pontiac, MI
2   Marcus Allen   S   6-2   202   SR   Upper Marlboro, MD
2   Tommy Stevens   QB   6-4   218   JR   Indianapolis, IN
3   DeAndre Thompkins   WR   5-11   190   SR   Hubert, NC
4   Nick Scott   S   5-11   200   SR   Fairfax, VA
5   DaeSean Hamilton   WR   6-1   205   SR   Fredericksburg, VA
6   Andre Robinson   RB   5-9   216   JR   Mechanicsburg, PA
7   Koa Farmer   LB   6-1   222   SR   Lake View Terrace, CA
7   Jake Zembiec   QB   6-3   205   SO   Rochester, NY
8   Mark Allen   RB   5-6   181   SR   Hyattsville, MD
9   Trace McSorley   QB   6-0   205   SR   Ashburn, VA
9   Jarvis Miller   LB   6-2   205   JR   Suffield, CT
10   Brandon Polk   WR   5-9   175   JR   Ashburn, VA
11   Irvin Charles   WR   6-4   219   JR   Sicklerville, NJ
12   Desi Davis   CB   5-11   178   SR   Ardmore, PA
13   Saeed Blacknall   WR   6-3   212   SR   Manalapan, NJ
14   Zech McPhearson   CB   5-11   180   SO   Columbia, MD
15   Grant Haley   CB   5-9   185   SR   Atlanta, GA
15   Michael Shuster   QB   6-2   200   SO   Camp Hill, PA
16   Billy Fessler   QB   5-11   188   SR   Erie, PA
16   John Petrishen   S   6-0   209   JR   Lower Burrell, PA
17   Garrett Taylor   S   6-0   193   JR   Richmond, VA
18   Jonathan Holland   TE   6-4   245   JR   Brandywine, MD
18   Shaka Toney   DE   6-3   195   SO   Philadelphia, PA
19   Torrence Brown   DE   6-3   257   SR   Tuscaloosa, AL
20   Jabari Butler   CB   5-11   180   JR   Potomac, MD
20   Johnathan Thomas   LB   5-11   220   SR   Peabody, MA
21   Amani Oruwariye   CB   6-1   201   SR   Tampa, FL
23   Ayron Monroe   S   5-11   204   JR   Largo, MD
24   Miles Sanders   RB   5-11   205   SO   Pittsburgh, PA
25   Brelin Faison-Walden   LB   6-1   200   FR   Greensboro, NC
26   Saquon Barkley   RB   5-11   223   JR   Coplay, PA
27   T.J. Johnson   CB   6-2   180   SO   Cleveland, OH
28   Troy Apke   S   6-1   206   SR   Mt. Lebanon, PA
29   John Reid   CB   5-10   191   JR   Mount Laurel, NJ
30   Kevin Givens   DT   6-1   275   JR   Altoona, PA
31   Cameron Brown   LB   6-5   215   SO   Burtonsville, MD
31   Christopher Welde   WR   5-7   156   JR   Newtown, PA
32   Mitchell Vallone   S   5-9   192   SR   Johnsonburg, PA
33   Jake Cooper   LB   6-1   230   JR   Doylestown, PA
34   Shane Simmons   DE   6-3   240   SO   Laurel, MD
36   Jan Johnson   LB   6-2   216   JR   Mohnton, PA
36   Troy Shorts   CB   5-10   192   JR   Sicklerville, NJ
38   Lamont Wade   CB   5-9   190   FR   Clairton, PA
39   Frank Di Leo   LB   5-9   210   JR   Elmhurst, IL
39   Josh McPhearson   WR   5-10   197   SR   Columbia, MD
40   Jason Cabinda   LB   6-1   232   SR   Flemington, NJ
40   Nick Eury   RB   5-9   213   SO   Shavertown, PA
41   Joe Arcangelo   TE   6-4   230   SO   Clarks Summit, PA
41   Parker Cothren   DT   6-4   295   SR   Huntsville, AL
42   Ellison Jordan   DT   6-0   285   SO   Upper Marlboro, MD
43   Manny Bowen   LB   6-1   220   JR   Barnegat, NJ
45   Joe DuMond   LB   5-10   240   SO   Philadelphia, PA
46   Colin Castagna   DE   6-4   253   JR   Barrington, IL
47   Will Blair   S   5-11   209   SO   Lancaster, PA
47   Brandon Smith   LB   6-0   228   SR   Winfield, PA
48   Shareef Miller   DE   6-5   255   JR   Philadelphia, PA
49   Daniel Joseph   DE   6-3   255   SO   Brampton, ON
51   Alex Gellerstedt   OL   6-6   297   SO   Dublin, OH
51   Jason Vranic   LB   6-0   217   SR   Wheatfield, NY
52   Ryan Bates   OL   6-4   305   JR   Warrington, PA
52   Curtis Cothran   DT   6-5   280   SR   Newtown, PA
54   Robert Windsor   DT   6-4   305   JR   Fond Du Lac, WI
55   Antonio Shelton   DT   6-2   290   SO   Westerville, OH
56   Tyrell Chavis   DT   6-3   295   SR   Richmond, VA
59   Andrew Nelson   OL   6-6   306   SR   Hershey, PA
62   Michal Menet   OL   6-4   296   SO   Birdsboro, PA
64   Zach Simpson   OL   6-3   292   JR   Hollidaysburg, PA
66   Connor McGovern   OL   6-5   310   SO   Larksville, PA
68   Hunter Kelly   OL   6-2   280   SO   Langhorne, PA
70   Brendan Mahon   OL   6-4   320   SR   Randolph, NJ
71   Will Fries   OL   6-6   295   SO   Cranford, NJ
73   Mike Miranda   OL   6-3   295   FR   Stow, OH
74   Steven Gonzalez   OL   6-4   334   JR   Union City, NJ
76   Sterling Jenkins   OL   6-8   328   JR   Pittsburgh, PA
77   Chasz Wright   OL   6-7   343   SR   Woodbridge, VA
79   Charlie Shuman   OL   6-8   290   SR   Pittsford, NY
80   Danny Dalton   TE   6-4   247   SO   Marshfield, MA
81   Steven Grampp   TE   6-3   240   SO   East Stroudsburg, PA
82   Tyler Shoop   WR   5-11   170   JR   Nashville, TN
83   Nick Bowers   TE   6-4   264   JR   Kittanning, PA
84   Juwan Johnson   WR   6-4   218   JR   Glassboro, NJ
85   Isaac Lutz   WR   5-11   190   SO   Reading, PA
86   Cody Hodgens   WR   5-7   173   SR   Wesley Chapel, FL
87   Dae'Lun Darien   WR   6-4   195   SO   Baltimore, MD
88   Mike Gesicki   TE   6-6   252   SR   Manahawkin, NJ
89   Colton Maxwell   WR   6-0   181   SO   Northampton, PA
89   Tom Pancoast   TE   6-3   235   SR   West Chester, PA
90   Alex Barbir   PK   5-9   195   SO   Cumming, GA
91   Ryan Monk   DT   6-1   290   JR   Dallas, PA
92   Daniel Pasquariello   P   6-1   197   SR   --
93   Blake Gillikin   P   6-2   182   SO   Smyrna, GA
95   Tyler Davis   PK   5-11   180   SR   Saint Charles, IL
96   Immanuel Iyke   DT   6-2   280   JR   Hackettstown, NJ
96   Kyle Vasey   LS   6-2   242   SR   Hawley, PA
97   Ryan Buchholz   DE   6-6   270   JR   Malvern, PA
99   Joey Julius   PK   5-10   258   SR   Hummelstown, PA

If my count is correct they have only 12 players from states other than those they border or are within 300 miles of and 4 of those are from Illinois which is in their conference.

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Nebraska had a system built up that was taken away by NCAA rules, and that was when they started to decline and their Head coach retired...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 22, 2017, 11:44:12 am
He seemed extremely Houston Nutt-ish to me...him and his coaches on the sidelines looked like a bozo the clown-chinese fire drill. But you can't deny what the guy has done at Penn St...very impressive. I'm still in awe of the Big 10 changing their culture completely around. It seems like yesterday we were laughing at them.
Calling him extremely Nutt-ish might be overkill since Nutt was in class (or perhaps classlessness) by himself. Franklin did seem a bit immature at times while at Vandy. That probably wouldn't have set well with fans had we hired him coming off Smiley.

hogsanity

An easy way to look at this: Would Nick Saban have the same record here he has had at Bama? If your answer is no, why?

HamSammich

Quote from: RazorPiggie on August 22, 2017, 11:34:00 am
Here's a heat map of every top-15 recruit's hometown, from 2000 to 2017, using consensus rankings from the 247Sports Composite. This comes, initially, from our collection of 25 maps that explain college football.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/8/23/12607342/recruits-states-rankings

I have not seen that. Thanks

HogFoo

Penn st. had a lot of talent to draw upon as many have posted.  And, franklin is a good recruiter.   You could probably put most anyone ina position with that much talent around and probably convince them to play at your school. 

Its one reason why i was always scared that Petrino would end up at say a Florida, texas, lsu,  some place where even someone that hates recruiting, like Petrino, could just step out the backyard and find 5* guys just everywhere.  If Petrino ever went to one of those schools, he'd probably win countless national titles.  But then again, since the OP is basically saying Bielema isnt doing enough.  I also believe that if Bielema was at one of the schools like those where talent just ooozed out of every county, he too would also win multiple titles.   

No matter how you want to look at it though, its much harder to win at recruiting here at arkansas than most other schools.  We just have to hit home runs with evals , and where a kid might project after he has been in our weight program and devlops.  Thats how we make up the slack.  We have to get our redshirt program going, once we are able to be far enough along that we could nearly redshirt every class.  Thats when, winning becomes habitual!   here is a prime example.  Look at kansas st.  When old fart 1st got there, he redshirted everyplayer!  every year, redshirted them!  he built them up. made them stronger.  made them better.  in later years, he has used to juco routes to fill his teams.  But, he has had great success with this model.  When he took off for those years, kstate, sucked, when he came back, they won again.   same with nebraska.  Nebraska used to have one of the best redshirt programs.  Their oline nearly every year was a 5th yr redshirt SR!   Every single year they had that!   Whenever we can get to being able to do that under Bielema, we'll have very very good teams as well!  We are getting closer.  Just have to keep treading water until we get there.   winning solves a lot of the probs. and i believe this year will be a pretty good year.  9-10wins is my predicition.   wps!
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

HogFoo

Quote from: hogsanity on August 23, 2017, 01:33:24 pm
An easy way to look at this: Would Nick Saban have the same record here he has had at Bama? If your answer is no, why?
i do not believe Saban would have had the same record here as at bama.  Eventually, yes, i think he could have gotten there.  The same way i believe that eventually Bielema will get there.    It just takes a bit longer to do it at arkansas.  We dont have the instate talent.  We get a good core group of kids, but not enough to build a whole team team from.  The rest, we have to recruit.  Saban with his tenure as a head coach, with his reputation, he would have drawn recruits eventually.  And after he started winning, he would have drawn some more.  But, i guarantee it would have still took him a few years at arkansas.   

I know, some will point to Petrino, and say, well he did it in 3yrs.  blah blah blah.  Hey, i liked petrino.  loved the excitement, loved how it seemed liked every play could be a TD.  But, Petrino had his flaws.  He hated recruiting.   He just so happened to luck into getting Mallet.  Also, Wright, Gragg, and most of his 1st most successful class, were already committed to the Hogs before he got here.  Now, we did get Joe, and that was a big get, but after that class, and his 2nd class when we got Knile "Kniles" haha and Wingo, the classes werent really as good as Bielemas have been.  Now it took Petrino a while before he realized that he also needed to recruit defensive players before he could win at Arkansas, and he was just starting to do it when he ran into the ditch.. He had did the same think at Louisville the 1st time. He got all offensive guys, didnt worry about defense.  He wanted to outscore everyone.  And in most conferences that type of thinking works, except for the SEC.  Anyways, Petrino built Lousiville up before leaving for the Falcons.  Then he came here, and he was just starting to build the defense up here when he got a case of volleyballitis with a mild road rash. haha..

so then we started from scratch.  JLS was the worst hire in history.  some thought that all we needed was just a 'manager' type,  but, obviously we needed someone who was the angry manager fear monger type coach that Petrino was.  I knew we were in trouble when i saw a team picture with Smiley and there were players doing finger 'horns' behind JLS in the team picture!  there was no discipline!  And that year showed us what happens when there is no discipline!  With Bielema, he tries to recruit both sides of the ball equally.  Both defense and offense.  He doesnt put one before the other.  He is increasing the talent level gradually.  Yes, it may seem slower this way, but, once you get to the top, it is more sustaining for the long term.  I have faith in Bielema.  This OP is basically another Hog fan taking a shot at Bielema.  Whether directly or indirectly.  I dont know what to tell you type of fans anymore.  But to just have patience.  we've had some bad luck in a few games that was just bad luck. plain and simple.  the record so far under bielema could have been VASTLY different had a few things went just a little bit differently  and id guess a lot of you guys that dislike Bielema would probably much quieter that you presently are.    Anyways, I got faith in the guy. He runs a clean program, he is doing it the right way.  and given time, he'll have us back where we need and deserve to be!  wps!
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............