Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ouch, Coach Horn has got to get more pitching depth.

Started by PigPusher, June 06, 2005, 08:47:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PigPusher

It was pretty obvious last night. We are not the same team after the two regulars are not available.  Sorry to see our southern neighbors have the ability to lay it on us like that.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

WilsonHog

Quote from: PigPusher on June 06, 2005, 08:47:25 am
It was pretty obvious last night. We are not the same team after the two regulars are not available. Sorry to see our southern neighbors have the ability to lay it on us like that.

Maybe it would have been a different outcome had Siebert not missed the last couple of weeks.  Maybe not. Texas deserves some credit; they've got a few players that can hit the ball.  They laid it on Clint Brannon pretty good in the CWS last season, and a lot of those same players are still in Austin.

We need pitching depth, no question about it. Colleges don't have eight or nine-man staffs, though.  That's why so many scores were in the double digits yesterday.  One or two more quality pitchers would get us where we need to be. 

heathshogs

Hard to get many quality pitchers in college because of the Draft.  It was one of the positions we were really depleted at after last year losing 2 of 3 starters Brannon and Sawatski, not to mentiion the relievers like Goodner, Hall.  The next experienced guy in SEC terms on the staff was Justin White but he's injured. We had to medically redshirt our closer Holloway. When you work out all of that other than Boyce,  Maday and McCelland were the only 2 with SEC experience last season. They had a combined 8.0 innings allowing 17 earn runs. Maday did have a lot of experience vs non-conference opponents last year and he continued to do well against them this year. That may leave James Gilbert as the only returner I haven't mentioned but he did well Friday night.

Smith can fire the ball he just doesn't seem to know how to get outs.
Seibert was better before the injury and maybe better in time.
Lee Land hasn't seen action this weekend so we may see him today.

We've got good pitchers signed fro next year so it will likely be a matter of whether they want thousands of $$ or to go to college. The good news is this staff should get no worse, with Holloways redshirt that gives us no seniors. Juniors Charlie Boyce and Devin Collis are unlikely to be drafted. The only subtractions will be of DVH's choice to make room for recruits.
A ticket is not permission to be entertained. It's a license to go to work.--Hognoxious

Ash

You know... I was wondering the other day they were talking about how UofA looks for power pitchers and such. Well... I know one kid that was never approached by UofA that is going to ASU instead. He was radared throwing consistent in the 89-90 mph range on his fastball. 12 games into this season that just ended he had a .98 ERA and was 12-0 with at least two no-hitters, one one-hitter and 5 shutouts. Not does he have that kind of arm but he was also one of the better wideouts and safeties in AA football. The guy is an all-around athlete and UofA ignored him because he is AA. I personally think he will make a great college pitcher. On top of that heater he has a wicked curveball.

edit: at that point he was also averaging 12 strikeouts a game. I don't know the rest of his stats for the season but he was undeafeted going into the playoffs.

Swino

Don't forget about the injuries to some of our pitchers this year.  I don't keep up with baseball as much as Wilson or Charliehog does, maybe they can elaborate on the injuries that we have had this year.

hogsanity

Quote from: Ash on June 06, 2005, 10:27:03 am
You know... I was wondering the other day they were talking about how UofA looks for power pitchers and such. Well... I know one kid that was never approached by UofA that is going to ASU instead. He was radared throwing consistent in the 89-90 mph range on his fastball. 12 games into this season that just ended he had a .98 ERA and was 12-0 with at least two no-hitters, one one-hitter and 5 shutouts. Not does he have that kind of arm but he was also one of the better wideouts and safeties in AA football. The guy is an all-around athlete and UofA ignored him because he is AA. I personally think he will make a great college pitcher. On top of that heater he has a wicked curveball.

edit: at that point he was also averaging 12 strikeouts a game. I don't know the rest of his stats for the season but he was undeafeted going into the playoffs.

Is he going to be drafted by anyone above the 30th round?  You ever watch alot of the AA level games?  I played that level.  Anytime you get a guy who can throw over 80 he is going to look good.  Hey, I hope he has a great career and makes millions, but I imagine the Hogs ignored him for more reasons than just beacause he was AA.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Ash

He isn't going into the draft because he wants to attend college. Like I said I don't know why Arkansas ignored him but he was a great pitcher in AA and no hitted one AAAA team and only allowed El Dorado in the AAAAA to get 3 runs.

Bomis Hawg

Trey Holloway might've been the guy that could've came out of the pen, or if was the #3 starter Seibert could come from the pen.  That was a huge loss.  DVH, I thought, had a couple of solid prospects coming in pitching wise?  Could be wrong.

Right now, with one game left, Arkansas will rely on their iron-man.  It'll be interesting to see how DVH plays the pen, platoon it or just go until someone gets into trouble.  But, yes, they need pitching help bad.  It would be nice to see Boyce stay for one more year.  At least they have Schmidt for two more.