Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will Robert Johnson be able to get it done for us?

Started by Modsquad24, June 05, 2005, 09:14:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Modsquad24

He has a ton of potential being a 4 star Qb out of high school and he had flashes last year where he looked really good and some where he didnt look so good. But since almost everyone says he will be the starting Qb and he will take the first snap against SMS on the first gameday, my question is do you think he will start the whole year and be the man or will someone else get his job after a couple games? Thoughts?

tophawg19

i think cole barthel will win the battle .especially if we are trying to go to a balanced offense . he was the best qb all through spring football .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

pioneerhog

I agree with Tophawg, from everything I heard Barthel was the best QB in the spring.

PigMan

It makes a big difference when you know you are the chosen one.  Not only in football but in business as well.  Let someone say, "You are in charge" and you begin to change immediately. We all are going to see a different Robert Johnson this fall.  Take it to the bank.

Bomis Hawg

I think you'll probably see RJ start out as the starter.  The offensive production will show who will go from there.  By the time the Alabama game is over, you'll see who is going to start the rest of the season unless they are very ineffective or get hurt.

PorcineSublime

Quote from: Modsquad24 on June 05, 2005, 09:14:36 pm
He has a ton of potential being a 4 star Qb out of high school and he had flashes last year where he looked really good and some where he didnt look so good. But since almost everyone says he will be the starting Qb and he will take the first snap against SMS on the first gameday, my question is do you think he will start the whole year and be the man or will someone else get his job after a couple games? Thoughts?
I don't know, but you can bet someone has a cousin who knows somebody who told him that a QB at his HS is better anyway and will come  to AR, so don't sweat it. ;)
All kidding aside, it remains to be seen how he will respond once in the captain's chair. But he has the tools to do the job if he gets protection and can make the right decisions. We may be looking a future star or a future nightmare. I'm willing to give him a chance.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

tophawg19

Hoggysoprano

Our Qb situation will resemble the 2001 season only there won't be a Matt Jones to come in and save the season.  I will be surprised if this team scores 150 points for the entire season. :-[

rricha

Robert needs a chance to prove he is not the man for the job and not be benched for one mistake

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: rricha on June 05, 2005, 09:59:45 pm
Robert needs a chance to prove he is not the man for the job and not be benched for one mistake

That is true, but the pressure is on Nutt big time and you know what he did back in 01.  Heck he did the same thing 2000.

tophawg19

the competion in the fall should settle this issue if the fall goes like the spring cole is the man . robert should have been farther advanced than he showed . he got most of the practice last year but didn't bring that into the spring . he wasn't ready and barthel appears to be . the decision needs to be made early in the fall so the starter gets most of the reps . who ever starts the fall the best gets the job .it shouldn't matter what they have done in the past get the best player on the field .

rricha

jabohog

if the fall goes like the spring cole is the man .
Barthel didn't have Sims chasing him around in the back field most of his practice time. 3rd stringers don't give you a good indication of true performance. Let the defense take shape this fall and give them a shot at all the quarterbacks and let the cream rise to the top. I think RJ will be the man.

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

mikeirwin

Quote from: PigMan on June 05, 2005, 09:23:39 pm
It makes a big difference when you know you are the chosen one. Not only in football but in business as well. Let someone say, "You are in charge" and you begin to change immediately. We all are going to see a different Robert Johnson this fall. Take it to the bank.
I don't know a bank that would take it.
I believe HDN already told Johnson he was "in charge."
Didn't seem to help in the spring. What's gonna change in two months ?

3kgthog

As we all know, being the best QB on the team doesn't mean HDN will start you or give you the most snaps. Matt Jones anyone? Look for Johnson to start just because he has his 10 or 11 plays of experience. 

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: mikeirwin on June 05, 2005, 10:49:46 pm

My gut is either going to shrink, or it's going to get bigger.

The Reggie Herring legend will get two months bigger.

The Butch Davis shadow will get two months longer.

We'll be two months closer to seeing the non-miraculous non-change in the Nuttian offensive scheme.

Nutt will be two months closer to knowing he has to continue to call the plays he believes will work, and two-thirds of them will be runs.
[CENSORED]!

HogFansReunited

RJ will start the first few games but CB will be our QB by the third game.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

PigPusher

Quote from: mikeirwin on June 05, 2005, 10:49:46 pm
Quote from: PigMan on June 05, 2005, 09:23:39 pm
It makes a big difference when you know you are the chosen one. Not only in football but in business as well. Let someone say, "You are in charge" and you begin to change immediately. We all are going to see a different Robert Johnson this fall. Take it to the bank.

Good point Mike, but I don't equate a Spring and Fall ball as being apples and apples. Anyone who has ever practiced in the off season can attest to that.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

Theolesnort

I hope Johnson will take the bit and run with it. If not I don't see Cole being ready to show consistency just yet, If the O line can be real good Mortenson could be the best solution. But they really have to protect him and give him time. Without the protection he could be a damaged player at this stage. Heck that could be true of Johnson also. That is why so many are projecting Cole, it is his poise, yet I can't see him becoming a complete QB this fast. With a really good oline I think any of them can be competent, without it Cole might be the best fall back.  ???
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Theolesnort

I hate to load it all up on the olines shoulders but it is the key to this season. I will take it that the defense will be decent to good. The offense depends on QB development. The oline will make or break our QB who ever he is this season. It is just that simple.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.