Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mustain Says Message Boards Have No Credibility

Started by xkyrie, June 05, 2005, 05:13:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

xkyrie

Today's Morning News, Rob Keys Column

Question: "Do you ever read internet message boards...?"

Answer: "Yeah, there's a lot of people that don't know what the heck they're talking about. There's no credibility there."
Answer: "I've read conspiacy theories...just crazy stuff like that..a lot of it's pretty funny, actually, once it gets rolling."

Bomis Hawg

Not only is he a great player, he's a smart. 

I'm sure someone will come along now and say that since he's read all of these conspiracy theories that he'll be directed from singing with Arkansas.

xkyrie

A couple of weeks ago I posted some interesting stuff...and it disappeared like a three-headed stepchild.

Another Mustain quote: "Yeah, because you're trying to figure out who you can really trust, who you can talk to, what people's motives really are. There's a lot of people that are sincere, but there's a lot that aren't."

Thus, deliberate planting and misdirection.

Lanny

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on June 05, 2005, 06:11:37 pm
Quote from: xkyrie on June 05, 2005, 06:05:31 pm
A couple of weeks ago I posted some interesting stuff...and it disappeared like a three-headed stepchild.

Another Mustain quote: "Yeah, because you're trying to figure out who you can really trust, who you can talk to, what people's motives really are. There's a lot of people that are sincere, but there's a lot that aren't."

Bottom line, that kid can go where he wants, he's not going to make the program by himself. Sounds like he is starting to believe his own press and that's not a good thing.

If I was a star recruit, I would enjoy every minute of it and visit as many colleges as my parents could send me and probably wait until signing day to make my grand announcement.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

WilsonHog

Quote from: hSv on June 05, 2005, 06:45:55 pm
Quote from: Hoggysoprano on June 05, 2005, 06:11:37 pm
Quote from: xkyrie on June 05, 2005, 06:05:31 pm

Bottom line, that kid can go where he wants, he's not going to make the program by himself. Sounds like he is starting to believe his own press and that's not a good thing.

If I was a star recruit, I would enjoy every minute of it and visit as many colleges as my parents could send me and probably wait until signing day to make my grand announcement.

Exactly. It's an experience, like college, that only comes around once.  When it's over, it's all downhill from there.

Enjoy it, and milk it for all it's worth.

xkyrie

Me too. I would also get on these boards and relentlessly torment the fans.

Porkahontas

Just one time, I'd love to see a recruit get on the boards of the top 5 schools he's looking at and just play with the minds of all the fans.

Mustain is a smart kid who should take his time deciding on a school, but there is another way to look at it. It would be nice if he were to commit to Arkansas quickly if he knows that Arkansas is where he wants to go so the coaching staff can have one more major selling point to work other recruits with. If Mustain really wants to win and he wants to do it at Arkansas, it would be in his best interest in the end if he were to commit early and start calling recruits and working his teammates to come with him.

pioneerhog

Quote from: Porkahontas on June 05, 2005, 06:53:25 pm
Just one time, I'd love to see a recruit get on the boards of the top 5 schools he's looking at and just play with the minds of all the fans.
How do you know that is not happening right now. One of these guys that say they have "inside" info on Mitch could really be him and just be screwing with us. I agree with Hoggy though, he can go where he wants, he should do that, but one person isn't going to make the team, now I hope he comes to Arkansas but I hope for his sake he does what he feels is in the best interest for him.

Lanny

Mustain is a smart kid who should take his time deciding on a school, but there is another way to look at it. It would be nice if he were to commit to Arkansas quickly if he knows that Arkansas is where he wants to go so the coaching staff can have one more major selling point to work other recruits with. If Mustain really wants to win and he wants to do it at Arkansas, it would be in his best interest in the end if he were to commit early and start calling recruits and working his teammates to come with him.

Why?

Not me, I would tell the schools I was  interested with, I will sign with the school that has proven on the recruiting trail who wants to win. It's the coaches job to recruit not potential recruits.

Al Bundy

Kilgor

Obviously I am going to Arkansas.  Chill and let me take my trips.

;D
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

Lanny

June 05, 2005, 07:01:57 pm #10 Last Edit: June 05, 2005, 07:08:56 pm by hSv
Quote from: Mitchell Mustain on June 05, 2005, 07:00:56 pm
Obviously I am going to Arkansas.  Chill and let me take my trips.

;D

Kilgor I know you are having fun but let's not use another persons name on this board.

Thanks

Al Bundy

Kilgor

Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

tophawg19

if i were mitch i'd take a trip to hawaii , miami , usc ,and anybody else close to a beach on my bikini tour come home sign with ark. win 3 heismans go to pittsburg for 15 mil .a year win several superbowls retire back to ark. cause it's still a great place to be as a fan ex player .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Lanny

Quote from: tophawg19 on June 05, 2005, 07:07:24 pm
if i were mitch i'd take a trip to hawaii , miami , usc ,and anybody else close to a beach on my bikini tour come home sign with ark. win 3 heismans go to pittsburg for 15 mil .a year win several superbowls retire back to ark. cause it's still a great place to be as a fan ex player .

No way Dallas Cowboys, Americas Team

Al Bundy

tophawg19

nah ! i'd want to play for a good team  :D maybe indianappolis where you can throw the ball 50 times . besides dallas doesn't take ark. kids  ;D ;D

Bomis Hawg

Porkahontas

Quote from: hSv on June 05, 2005, 06:58:39 pm

Why?

Not me, I would tell the schools I was  interested with, I will sign with the school that has proven on the recruiting trail who wants to win. It's the coaches job to recruit not potential recruits.

Understand where you're coming from, but it's a heck of a lot easier to recruit to Texas than it is Arkansas. The Horns already have 18 verbals for the '05-'06 class and every last one of 'em are from the state of Texas. I would almost be willing to bet that there won't be 18 kids from the state of Arkansas even sign with Division I schools. Using that logic, Texas would get every recruit because "they have proven on the recruiting trail that they want to win."

If Mustain was indeed wanting to be a Hog, it would help the team he'll be on for the next four years if he commits early and helps pull more recruits to Fayetteville. His chances at success will increase at Arkansas if he has Webb, Williams, and some of the other guys out there with him at Arkansas. If Mitch commits, it'll greatly increase the odds that more top recruits will end up at Arkansas.

Nutt typically ends up with top 25 classes. With the top QB in the nation committed to running the show for the next few years, there will be some very good players who might decide to listen more closely to the Razorback staff than they would if Mustain were to wait or choose elsewhere. I know if I'm a top WR out of Texas, Louisiana, or Georgia, if I see the top QB in the nation committed to the Hogs and they are recruiting me with about 30 other schools, the letter from Arkansas doesn't end up in the trash can nearly as quickly and they would definitely go on my list of teams I'd be interested in.

He could always give a soft verbal and still probably enjoy the trips to other schools at their expense.

tophawg19

it would open a WR's eyes because it would show a committment by the U OF A to open up the passing game .

junkyardhog

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on June 05, 2005, 05:43:01 pm
Quote from: xkyrie on June 05, 2005, 05:13:24 pm

Answer: "Yeah, there's a lot of people that don't know what the heck they're talking about. There's no credibility there."
Answer: "I've read conspiacy theories...just crazy stuff like that..a lot of it's pretty funny, actually, once it gets rolling."

Mr. Mustain could improve his "credibility" by saying where he is going. So glad a 17 year old knows everything.

I don't know if we are agreeing or not hoggy, it's getting eerie. But last time I looked a 17 year old is NOT wise! I also do not get my advice from a 17 year old, I don't care who the hell he is.  Just because you can throw a ball does not make you an expert on life ;)

NuttsSacked

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on June 05, 2005, 05:43:01 pm
Quote from: xkyrie on June 05, 2005, 05:13:24 pm

Mr. Mustain could improve his "credibility" by saying where he is going. So glad a 17 year old knows everything.

How would a "verbal" commitment improve his credibility?  Mustain obviously hasn't decided where he's going yet. 

Seems to me the kid's smart enough to take his time and make a sound decision, unlike some 47 year olds on this board that think they know everything...to include the thoughts of a 17 year old. 

WilsonHog

Gotta be careful how we play this one.  I remember a defensive tackle we lost because he wanted to visit Miami and we gave him a ten-minute ultimatum to commit to us or have the offer withdrawn.  Turned into a pretty good player; started on a national championship team and was named NFL Defensive POY.

mikeirwin

Look guys, all the kid is saying is that nobody knows what he's gonna do.
I didn't take that statement as an attack on message boards in general.
Also he wasn't just talking about Razorback message boards.
I keep hearing that he hasn't made a decision.
What he said to Rob Keys seems to back that up.

3kgthog

I firmly believe Mustain has already decided where he's going and it's a school that wears burnt orange. 

xkyrie

Maybe not, but he was quoted verbatim.  "No credibility" is a concise, specific encapsulation of his feelings. He didn't soft-sell it, nor soften it.

mikeirwin

Quote from: 3kgthog on June 05, 2005, 08:09:25 pm
I firmly believe Mustain has already decided where he's going and it's a school that wears burnt orange.
He said, "I've read one (message board post) about a silent commitment to Texas, just crazy stuff like that..."
That doesn't sound like he's decided on Texas to me.
Of course you can choose not to believe him.
I have no  reason to do that.

Bomis Hawg

Quote from: 3kgthog on June 05, 2005, 08:09:25 pm

I'm glad Mustain is in your ears talking to you.  Glad you didn't read what he said in that article.

pioneerhog

This just goes to show that we need to be careful about what we say about a recruit. If we are bad talking a recruit that could be detremental to getting him to Arkansas.

tophawg19

true some of us know what we are talking about  :D  others make educated guesses or WAG'S .
wild ass guesses for the uneducated  ;D

pioneerhog

I use the SWAG method, Scientfic Wild Ass Guess.

Porkahontas

Ya know, it wouldn't surprise me one stinking bit to see Tennessee come in here out of freaking nowhere and land this kid.

Hell, damn Fulmer literally picked up the phone and called Slick Shelley and he was practically fawning all over himself to put Tennessee at the top of his list and move Arkansas out of the top spot. I've seen those freaking cheaters over there in Knoxville come out of nowhere right on signing day too many times to land recruits that they weren't even suppose to have a prayer with.

When you have a school like that who can get away with murder and not get in trouble with the NCAA, you've can't ever count them out.

That all said, I don't think Mustain has decided where he's going and if he does go elsewhere, we've got two of the top juniors-to-be in the country who seem to think very highly of the UofA with Mallett and Kodi Burns on the horizon.

Biggus Piggus

Rob Keys has written a good half-dozen columns making fun of what people do on Internet message boards, like he feels left out or something.  I'd expect him to angle the question as something like, "Aren't those people on the Internet full of crap?" rather than asking him something more straightforward.  But hey, I don't want to rag too much on people working in that profession, for the miserable wages they get, with the terrible management they endure.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Porkahontas on June 05, 2005, 09:40:08 pm
Hell, damn Fulmer literally picked up the phone and called Slick Shelley and he was practically fawning all over himself to put Tennessee at the top of his list and move Arkansas out of the top spot. I've seen those freaking cheaters over there in Knoxville come out of nowhere right on signing day too many times to land recruits that they weren't even suppose to have a prayer with.

Question.  Is there a single recruit anywhere that Arkansas has a prayer of signing whom Tennessee shouldn't have a prayer of signing?  Why would Tennessee simply signing a player we want cast suspicion on them, especially considering how botched our in-state recruiting effort is?  Nutt is in the same category as Holtz, making excuses about kids he does not get, and getting weirder and weirder as the years go on.
[CENSORED]!

PerryHog

I agree with Mitch the boards are 99% opinion, and when speaking of recruits, 100% speculatation. If his comment was about recruiting, then he's right. Bright 17 year old if you ask me.

xkyrie

I was going to give you the benefit of the doubt on this one, HognninIt, but then Bush released a memo stating he had no intention of invading Hogville.

Extra Point

Quote from: mikeirwin on June 05, 2005, 08:07:33 pm
Look guys, all the kid is saying is that nobody knows what he's gonna do.
I didn't take that statement as an attack on message boards in general.
Also he wasn't just talking about Razorback message boards.
I keep hearing that he hasn't made a decision.
What he said to Rob Keys seems to back that up.
Exactly.  That could be a mirror statement he heard from HDN or Gus as well.  If you read enough of them (including this one), you will find people who "claim" to have inside info then won't even reveal who they are.  I think THAT is what Mitch was saying.

sage_dragoon

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 05, 2005, 07:43:16 pm
Gotta be careful how we play this one. I remember a defensive tackle we lost because he wanted to visit Miami and we gave him a ten-minute ultimatum to commit to us or have the offer withdrawn. Turned into a pretty good player; started on a national championship team and was named NFL Defensive POY.

Adrian Wilson?....surely you jest...I didnt think he amounted to anything.
XBox360 - SageDragoon79

WilsonHog

Quote from: sage_dragoon on June 06, 2005, 12:11:37 pm
Quote from: WilsonHog on June 05, 2005, 07:43:16 pm
Gotta be careful how we play this one. I remember a defensive tackle we lost because he wanted to visit Miami and we gave him a ten-minute ultimatum to commit to us or have the offer withdrawn. Turned into a pretty good player; started on a national championship team and was named NFL Defensive POY.

Adrian Wilson?....surely you jest...I didnt think he amounted to anything.

Nope. Cortez Kennedy.

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: ImHogginIt on June 06, 2005, 01:18:46 am
Quote from: Biggus Piggus on June 05, 2005, 11:15:54 pm
Quote from: Porkahontas on June 05, 2005, 09:40:08 pm

Question.  Is there a single recruit anywhere that Arkansas has a prayer of signing whom Tennessee shouldn't have a prayer of signing?  Why would Tennessee simply signing a player we want cast suspicion on them, especially considering how botched our in-state recruiting effort is?  Nutt is in the same category as Holtz, making excuses about kids he does not get, and getting weirder and weirder as the years go on.

Thing is ,Nutt will land the entire Springdale 5 plus win 7 games this year and be here coaching as long as he wishes ;D

How much you want to wager?  No way we win 7, 6 will be a stretch more likely 5.  I also so Nutt will NOT be here this time next year unless he  hires Gus Malzhan. 

Bomis Hawg

Nutt will be here next year, unless they win less than 5 games or lose to Vanderbilt.