Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Watching Buffett at RRS

Started by Mason, June 02, 2005, 11:05:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mason

My family and some friends decided to walk over to the concert--none of us are associates.  Turns out the security guards for Wal-mart let us go right in.  The Buffett portion of the concert lasted about an hour.  Not real crowded, but with the Jumbotron and the club seating, it was a great concert venue.  Maybe when JFB's gone they'll allow more concerts.
There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading.  The few who learn by observation.  The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.----Will Rogers

CycloneHog

Yep...anyone could get in.  Great show!

pioneerhog

It was probably like tring to return something at Wal Mart, if they won't take something back just start bitching and raiseing hell, then they will take anything back. I figure if you would have raised hell they would have let you right in.

Mason

I promise you my admission wasn't free.  My wife makes a donation to the Walton family trust about three times a week!!!
There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading.  The few who learn by observation.  The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.----Will Rogers

pioneerhog

Quote from: HogConscious on June 02, 2005, 11:20:12 pm
I promise you my admission wasn't free.  My wife makes a donation to the Walton family trust about three times a week!!!
Hell, don't all women.

heathshogs

That's actually what the guy asked me at the gate.

You a stockholder?.... sure
How much stock you got? .... Not much
Do you shop at Wal-Mart? ..... Of course
A lot? ......... YEAH
alright.
A ticket is not permission to be entertained. It's a license to go to work.--Hognoxious

3kgthog

June 03, 2005, 12:40:52 am #6 Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 12:44:09 am by 3kgthog
The UA could bring millions and millions of more dollars into NWA if they would allow RRS and Bud Walton to be used as concert and special event venues during the summer months.  It'd definitely take someone better than Jimmy Buffett though. 

And no, Promise Keepers doesn't count. 

hawkeyefan17

I saw the concert at Bud Walton as well as the show at Razorback Stadium. I enjoyed them both. I am not a big fan of any of the artists but it was fun. Seeing Jimmy Buffett was pretty cool.

Does the University of Arkansas not usually allow concerts at their stadiums? is that policy? If so, that is pretty short sighted.

heathshogs

There have been a few concerts in RRS. But I think this maybe the first since the rennovations. Basically nothing is allowed in Busd walton except basketball and Wal-Mart.

My brother and I wondered if the Buffett concert might be a feasibility testEven where the stage was, you could easily get 30,000+ making it the largest venue in Arkansas. If you needed to, you could push the stage all the way back against the Broyles complex and fill the stadium.
A ticket is not permission to be entertained. It's a license to go to work.--Hognoxious

Hogtopia

Quote from: heathshogs on June 03, 2005, 07:45:31 am
There have been a few concerts in RRS. But I think this maybe the first since the rennovations. Basically nothing is allowed in Busd walton except basketball and Wal-Mart.

My brother and I wondered if the Buffett concert might be a feasibility testEven where the stage was, you could easily get 30,000+ making it the largest venue in Arkansas. If you needed to, you could push the stage all the way back against the Broyles complex and fill the stadium.

If the expected crowd is not bigger than what Barnhill will hold, they won't let you use Bud Walton. They prefer to use Barnhill, but have used Bud Walton a few times in the past. However, 90% of the non-UA, non-WMT stuff is local high school graduations.

ReturnToDynasty?

Quote from: heathshogs on June 02, 2005, 11:27:28 pm
That's actually what the guy asked me at the gate.

You a stockholder?.... sure
How much stock you got? .... Not much
Do you shop at Wal-Mart? ..... Of course
A lot? ......... YEAH
alright.

true comedy.

ReturnToDynasty?

Quote from: 3kgthog on June 03, 2005, 12:40:52 am
The UA could bring millions and millions of more dollars into NWA if they would allow RRS and Bud Walton to be used as concert and special event venues during the summer months.  It'd definitely take someone better than Jimmy Buffett though. 

Promise Keepers will bring an estimated $14 million to the Fayetteville economy; per Bo's colleague Don Elkins.
I say it does count.

Extra Point

Quote from: 3kgthog on June 03, 2005, 12:40:52 am

You are way off base on your PK reference.  PK is going to bring in $12MM to the local economy next weekend, more than the shareholder's meeting did this week.  Are you just trying to bash PK or are you saying you did not do your homework on this?

Extra Point

Quote from: Hogtopia on June 03, 2005, 07:55:27 am
Quote from: heathshogs on June 03, 2005, 07:45:31 am

If the expected crowd is not bigger than what Barnhill will hold, they won't let you use Bud Walton. They prefer to use Barnhill, but have used Bud Walton a few times in the past. However, 90% of the non-UA, non-WMT stuff is local high school graduations.
They don't let ANYTHING happen in BWA except educational related activities, baskeball and WM.  It was in the contract when Bud gave the money that WM could use it.  It was built as a basketball facility only.  They have never used it for anything else.

heathshogs

Last night the only thing on the grass was the stage. It may no be great for specators but it was fine by me.

heathshogs

Gentry K's. Bond walks to load them. Arnold's infield single scores 1, but Hollensworth thought the ball was through so he's caught between 3rd and home.
After 4 Hogs lead 3-1.

heathshogs

mikeirwin

The grass guys at the U of A would pitch a fit but there are ways to prevent damage. Plus in case anyone hasn't noticed, grass grows back.

Lanny

Quote from: mikeirwin on June 03, 2005, 01:23:06 pm
The grass guys at the U of A would pitch a fit but there are ways to prevent damage. Plus in case anyone hasn't noticed, grass grows back.

Not on my yard.  Granite soil
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Extra Point

Quote from: ScottFaldon on June 03, 2005, 01:30:58 pm
Quote from: junkyardhog on June 03, 2005, 01:23:43 pm
Um, yea, how much does a new field cost?

Also, how much damage do concerts do? A lot!

Just wondering here, would Notre Dame let their field be used to hold concerts? Texas? Florida?

I prefer to keep our stadium for football.

Again, there are plenty of concerts held at MLB baseball and NFL football stadiums every summer that prove you can do it without damaging the field.

It's fine to "prefer to keep (the) stadium for football." But don't use the "concerts will ruin the field" angle to justify it, when evidence proves otherwise.
I don't doubt the grass would grow back, but I doubt we have the maintenance budget of Fenway or Wrigley.  Personally, I am not too fond of having events at RRS or BWA.  However, I think PK is pretty harmless.  Somehow I doubt there will be a lot of dope smoking and vandalism going on at the PK event.

Some of the best concerts I have seen have been at the Brady in Tulsa which is just a tad bigger than the Walton Arts Center.  BB King, Stone Temple Pilots, etc.  If they wish to have a large outdoor concert, I would like to see those at Drake or somewhere similar.  I think NWA has a little more growing to do before it gets headliners who can fill up RRS.

I will say the Stones played at OU's field a couple years ago, but it was no where close to FB season.