Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Mustain news..

Started by I'M EMBARRASSED, May 27, 2005, 05:27:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

I'M EMBARRASSED

He's being considered as the top player in the nation.  He's up against about ten other prospects, so he has at least solidified a top twenty five spot.  Let's see how much credit they give an Arkansas prospect.

Lando Calrissian

I heard...and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...that he's playing at Springdale next season.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

DOGALUM

Quote from: HoopHog on May 27, 2005, 05:38:58 pm
Quote from: hogsrus5 on May 27, 2005, 05:27:25 pm
He's being considered as the top player in the nation. He's up against about ten other prospects, so he has at least solidified a top twenty five spot. Let's see how much credit they give an Arkansas prospect.

Well, that isn't exactly how it goes, but close enough.  He sent his tape to the Elite 11 quarterback camp and was accepted.  Yes, he may very well be considered by the many recruiting services as the #1 quarterback recruit in the nation and the #1 prospect in the nation.  But, that honor doesn't always go to a QB. 

Last year this honor was split by the different recruiting services.  Some had Derrick Williams, an athlete who committed to Penn State as the top of the crop and others had Sanchez (QB - USC), and I think the Atlanta Constitution Journal even had Fred Rouse (WR - FSU).  Two years ago, Rhett Bomar (QB) was considered the top quarterback in the nation in the nation, but the top prospect was a running back, Adrian Petterson. Now they are teammates.

These ranking will also get shifted at the end of the high school regular season.  So, if Mustain gets the preseason honor but doesn't produce throughout the season, scouts may find some other player more coveted by college coaches.
We will get an early look in June when Rivals coms out with their nationwide, position by position rankings.  Another good place to look is on Max Emfinger's website.  Max doesn't just cover the Nike/Rivals 7 on 7 tourneys...they get to most of the regional tourneys and go a bit further..position by position.  When I say further (instead of farther):) I mean he goes from 5star players down to 1 or 2 star players.  Not as sharp of a website as rivals...but good info that is based on first hand assesments of the kids rather than 2nd or 3rd hand accounts.  I'm not busting on Rivals...but Emfinger is free for one....and they were talking up these Springdale guys last summer after the 7 on 7 tourney in Hoover, AL (Springdale won it), before Rivals was saying much about them.  Only problem is that they don't update often enough IMO.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

PigPusher

May 27, 2005, 05:55:31 pm #3 Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 06:20:22 pm by PigPusher
Yet another Mustain post!!!!!  Yeegads aren't we  just trying to milk it here a little???
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

I'M EMBARRASSED

Quote from: HoopHog on May 27, 2005, 05:38:58 pm
Well, that isn't exactly how it goes, but close enough.  He sent his tape to the Elite 11 quarterback camp and was accepted.  Yes, he may very well be considered by the many recruiting services as the #1 quarterback recruit in the nation and the #1 prospect in the nation.  But, that honor doesn't always go to a QB. 

Last year this honor was split by the different recruiting services.  Some had Derrick Williams, an athlete who committed to Penn State as the top of the crop and others had Sanchez (QB - USC), and I think the Atlanta Constitution Journal even had Fred Rouse (WR - FSU).  Two years ago, Rhett Bomar (QB) was considered the top quarterback in the nation in the nation, but the top prospect was a running back, Adrian Petterson. Now they are teammates.

These ranking will also get shifted at the end of the high school regular season.  So, if Mustain gets the preseason honor but doesn't produce throughout the season, scouts may find some other player more coveted by college coaches.
Correct, but he is being considered among about ten other prospects as the top player in the country.  He is against Matthew Stafford QB, Marcus Ball LB, Sam Young OL, Myron Rolle DB, Percey Harvin WR, and a few other names that I can't remember.  My guess is that it will go to Myron Rolle or Percy Harvin. 

Now, that may not land him as a the top prospect, but he is likely to be a top 25 prospect.  He's basically solidified 5* status, which at this point is only given to the top 25 in the nation.  Of course, different recruiting sources will have different prospects #1, but there is usually a consensus.  Either way, Mustain being #1 on any recruiting forum is a positive for Arkansas highschool football as a whole.

DOGALUM

Another thing to keep in mind is how big Mustain's #s are considering how little he plays.  I'm sure he's not the only one in the nation in that situation, but on the other hand LOTS of these guys with eyepopping numbers play 4 quarters every game.  There were at least 2 games last year for Springdale that they could have scored 100 pts.  That's not according to me...but to Gus himself during or after the game.  And yes....both were conference games.  This system is extremely impressive....especially when you have the talent to run it to it's full potential.

mikeirwin

Quote from: PigPusher on May 27, 2005, 05:55:31 pm
Yet another Mustain post!!!!! Yeegads aren't just trying to milk it here a little???
A kid like this comes along in Arkansas about once every 20 years.
Yea, let's tone it down.
Who cares ?
Let's talk about golf or something.

PigPusher

A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

Anti-OtisII

Quote from: mikeirwin on May 27, 2005, 06:16:25 pm

Well, unfortunately we hear that same line about every 5 years.   It's kind of like having a 100 year flood on the Mississippi River a couple of times in a 5 year period.  I agree he's a great kid with a WHOLE LOT of potential, but sometimes it just seems to get blown out of proportion. 

Besides, if he commits to the Hogs, he's only destined to hurt his shoulder or some other catastrophe.  That's just the way it seems with our luck with the college football gods.  :-[  I just can't shed that fatalistic approach when it comes to Hogs in football.  But I will keep buying my season tickets and hope for the best.  ;)

PigPusher

Yeah look at Robert Johnson the number 7 dual threat coming out of high school.  If you consider all the QB playing in high school that is darn good. However, Robert comes to Arkansas and very soon he is just average.  Wonder how long it will take for Mitch to have the same treatment.  Something sure smells here with the so called stars that come to Arkansas. More often than not they never pan out.

mikeirwin

Quote from: Anti-OtisII on May 27, 2005, 06:45:30 pm
Quote from: mikeirwin on May 27, 2005, 06:16:25 pm

Well, unfortunately we hear that same line about every 5 years.   It's kind of like having a 100 year flood on the Mississippi River a couple of times in a 5 year period.  I agree he's a great kid with a WHOLE LOT of potential, but sometimes it just seems to get blown out of proportion. 

Besides, if he commits to the Hogs, he's only destined to hurt his shoulder or some other catastrophe.  That's just the way it seems with our luck with the college football gods.  :-[  I just can't shed that fatalistic approach when it comes to Hogs in football.  But I will keep buying my season tickets and hope for the best.  ;)
. This kid is the real deal. I saw most of yesterday's final full pads workout at SHS.
No wonder coaches are coming out of the woodwork to check him out. With Miami's Larry Coker looking on Mustain was just about flawless. I stood up on a concrete wall that surrounds the field to get a better look at his reads. From behind the offense it was amazing to watch him rapidly look off his receivers and find the open man. The Hogs don't have a single QB who can do anything like that. It looked like the linemen had been told to soft block because on almost every play somebody had a hand in Mustain's face. It didn't faze him.
I can't promise he won't get hurt. I can't promise he'll sign with Arkansas. But I will say that all this "If we don't get him there's another kid out there" talk is a crock.
The Razorbacks cannot afford to lose this QB.

I'M EMBARRASSED

As I've said before, Mustain is taking all of his snaps out of the shotgun.  Now, I have not seen him play in person.  I have only seen his highlight tapes.  Brock Berlin took all of his snaps out of the shotgun at Evangel.  He was unable to play under center at Miami.  I'm not saying that Mitch can't play under center.  By Arkansas standards, I wouldn't mind having Berlin's record either.  However, if we land Mustain, I don't want HDN to take as long as Coker did to figure out that he can't play under center. 

DOGALUM

Quote from: hogsrus5 on May 27, 2005, 07:51:08 pm
As I've said before, Mustain is taking all of his snaps out of the shotgun. Now, I have not seen him play in person. I have only seen his highlight tapes. Brock Berlin took all of his snaps out of the shotgun at Evangel. He was unable to play under center at Miami. I'm not saying that Mitch can't play under center. By Arkansas standards, I wouldn't mind having Berlin's record either. However, if we land Mustain, I don't want HDN to take as long as Coker did to figure out that he can't play under center.
Mitch takes a lot of his snaps out of the shotgun....but not all of them.  He gets plenty of work under center in games as well as practice.  Again....it just depends on the defense.

reddogfan

Quote from: DOGALUM on May 27, 2005, 07:53:37 pm
Quote from: hogsrus5 on May 27, 2005, 07:51:08 pm
As I've said before, Mustain is taking all of his snaps out of the shotgun. Now, I have not seen him play in person. I have only seen his highlight tapes. Brock Berlin took all of his snaps out of the shotgun at Evangel. He was unable to play under center at Miami. I'm not saying that Mitch can't play under center. By Arkansas standards, I wouldn't mind having Berlin's record either. However, if we land Mustain, I don't want HDN to take as long as Coker did to figure out that he can't play under center.
Mitch takes a lot of his snaps out of the shotgun....but not all of them. He gets plenty of work under center in games as well as practice. Again....it just depends on the defense.
\
The first day of practice, when all the "big boys" were in, he took 90% of his snaps under center...not sure if that was to answer the question of whether he could or if that was just part of the game plan for the day.

Hoggysoprano

He's being considered as the top player in the nation. He's up against about ten other prospects, so he has at least solidified a top twenty five spot. Let's see how much credit they give an Arkansas prospect.

WE have always gotten the top guys from instate, Cobbs, Eckwood, only one we didn't get was Shabazz and he didn't go to college out of HS. Man that was a waste. We'll get Mustain, and we'll get Gus also.

Oklahawg

Emfinger is a hack. Players can pay to have him "evaluate" them and often find themselves touted as the next Jonathan Berry. LOL Schools pay for his lists--UT did during its string of mythical #1 February championships, and we wonder why they were #1. He makes Otis and Dudley look absolutely impartial and scientific.

Rivals and Scouts provide a service. Its entertaining and occasionally informative. Often, its distracting and misleading, but its still entertaining.

The recent "leak" regarding HDN wanting Malzahn and second-guessing not getting him the last time an opening appeared on the staff tells me that HDN has found his fail-safe--if things get dicey, a bowl doesn't happen, recruiting isn't going well...bingo! Malzahn is added to the staff, we get the Chickendale 5 and all is right in hogland.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Skip Foreplay

I'm  in the Mustain Camp...He's gonna do a Matt Jones thing. Only in reverse, he's going to transfer to Van Buren and become a Wide Receiver.

riccoar

I don't care as long as he becomes a Hog.

reddogfan

Quote from: Phatist Hawg on May 27, 2005, 09:29:34 pm
I'm in the Mustain Camp...He's gonna do a Matt Jones thing. Only in reverse, he's going to transfer to Van Buren and become a Wide Receiver.
Yeah, but only if they hire Malzahn as their coach and Wood as the OC.  I understand they both interviewed for the positions last year, but the AD at Van Buren misunderstood, and didn't realize Malzahn was looking to make a move.

Anti-OtisII

Quote from: Oklahawg on May 27, 2005, 09:18:19 pm
Emfinger is a hack. Players can pay to have him "evaluate" them and often find themselves touted as the next Jonathan Berry. LOL Schools pay for his lists--UT did during its string of mythical #1 February championships, and we wonder why they were #1.

And to boot, Emfinger is almost a totally regional kind of guy.  If you look at his recruiting rankings for schools after signing day, it will be dominated by schools in the SEC, ACC, and Big XII (south-central USA).  The south is obviously his sphere of influence and where most of his contacts are.   

He makes Otis and Dudley look absolutely impartial and scientific.

That is no easy task.   ;D  Practically equivalent to transforming Jethro Bodine into a "scientific rocket".

Rivals and Scouts provide a service. Its entertaining and occasionally informative. Often, its distracting and misleading, but its still entertaining.

Bingo.  You're right on the money Oklahawg, but you might shatter some egos on this board.  Some believe that just because they pay "premium" to get the information first, that this somehow makes the info accurate.  We're talking about grown men talking to 16 and 17 year old boys and hoping to get the inside scoop on their decisions that in most cases won't be made until months from now.  You might as well go ahead and ask them if they were successful scoring last night with Mary Ellen.

If you're totally bored and want to spend your money on Premium recruiting sites just for some entertainment value, then fine.  But don't expect that just because you read it on Rivals that it is the gospel truth and you can start impressing everyone on the message boards with your "inside info".

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: John Wesley Hardin on May 28, 2005, 08:57:44 am
6 Texas QB's in the nation's top 35.

Who's the last great qB out of Texass?  Ray you always preach this Texass stuff when it comes down to it those boys never quite pan out do they?  Who was the last Matt Jones to come out of Texas?  Phil Simms LOL.  Hey Ray 77-0, remember it, it will probably happen again.

PigPusher

Ryan Mallett out of Texas High School is touted as a close second to Mitch.  He has already made a verbal ot the Hill if we want him. Problem is though he is only a junior.

hogtusk

If Mustain does happen to come to Arkansas, watch him drop from a 5 star to 3 star recruit. :)
Life is full of uncertainty, but I could be wrong about that.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

PigPusher

Quote from: hogtusk on May 28, 2005, 04:03:29 pm
If Mustain does happen to come to Arkansas, watch him drop from a 5 star to 3 star recruit. :)

Right hogtusk.. Isn't it interesting how that works. Almost as if the recruiting services are trying to protect their reps.

akp4105

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on May 27, 2005, 08:55:54 pm

WE have always gotten the top guys from instate, Cobbs, Eckwood, only one we didn't get was Shabazz and he didn't go to college out of HS. Man that was a waste. We'll get Mustain, and we'll get Gus also.

Mark Bradley, WR, OU
Bret Smith, WR, Tenn
Roshaun Fellows, S, Tenn
Deangelo Williams, RB, Memphis

thats just a few of the recent top players out of this state that went elsewhere...

also i got a news flash, Malzahn aint gonna go to the U of A..and neither is his top player, Mustain

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: akp4105 on May 28, 2005, 07:05:45 pm
Quote from: Hoggysoprano on May 27, 2005, 08:55:54 pm

Mark Bradley, WR, OU
Bret Smith, WR, Tenn
Roshaun Fellows, S, Tenn
Deangelo Williams, RB, Memphis

thats just a few of the recent top players out of this state that went elsewhere...

also i got a news flash, Malzahn aint gonna go to the U of A..and neither is his top player, Mustain

Yes they will, Malzhan, Mustain and the other three all will go to the U of A, the we will get their kicker next year.

Bomis Hawg

Mark Bradley transfered from UAPB and became a star.  I'm pretty sure he wasn't highly recruited, just a guess.  I'd consider the others you named were.

That's fine.  Wasn't Terrence Hampton as highly rated or higher rated than Fellows was?

Anyhow, I think Mustain's chances of picking Ark is better than nothing.

xkyrie

...not going to the U of A...

Extra Point

Emfinger is a hack. Players can pay to have him "evaluate" them and often find themselves touted as the next Jonathan Berry. LOL Schools pay for his lists--UT did during its string of mythical #1 February championships, and we wonder why they were #1. He makes Otis and Dudley look absolutely impartial and scientific.

The recent "leak" regarding HDN wanting Malzahn and second-guessing not getting him the last time an opening appeared on the staff tells me that HDN has found his fail-safe--if things get dicey, a bowl doesn't happen, recruiting isn't going well...bingo! Malzahn is added to the staff, we get the Chickendale 5 and all is right in hogland.
According to Mustain, he will commit by the end of the summer, so he won't know how the Hogs will do.  Does not matter since he is not waiting til '06 to decide.

DrRx

Why should Mustain come to Arkansas when A. Mortensin was promised the stars.  I guess Mustain and promised the Sun, Moon and Stars. If I were him I would go to Miami