Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Leach: Arkansas’ War Memorial Stadium is loudest place I’ve ever played

Started by jbcarol, October 05, 2017, 05:21:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Arkansas may soon no longer be playing at War Memorial Stadium in Little Rock, Ark. The venue has been the Hogs' home away from home since 1948.

But regardless of what the future holds for War Memorial, it'll go down as one of the loudest college football stadiums ever according Washington State coach Mike Leach.

Quote"Little Rock, Arkansas ... that's the loudest I ever played," said Leach. "Entirely concrete structure. It's as if you had a football game in the neighbors basement and all the kids were yelling louder than hell. And you could tell when you're starting out. You'd clap your hands and you'd hear it five times.

"When you figure there's 45,000 and you multiple that times five that equals approximately 250,000. That's a lot of people. And there's no stadiums that hold 250,000 people. So, 250,000 people are louder than 100,000 people."

Leach was the offensive coordinator at Kentucky 1998 when the Wildcats played Arkansas at War Memorial Stadium. The attendance for that game, a 27-20 Arkansas win, was 55,782. Leach has never played at Donald W. Reynolds Razorbacks Stadium in Fayetteville.

Leach also mentioned Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Texas, Mississippi State, Nebraska, LSU, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina and Tennessee among the loudest stadiums he's played.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

1highhog

I was at that game along with my wife, it was a great game and I remember Barrett making that interception right in front of us, I thought for sure he was going to score but got caught around the 10yd line I think.  We had a pretty salty defense at that time, with some real headhunters as well, y'all remember Kennedy?  Oline also was pretty good, Ford wasn't much of a Coach here, but he recruited some great players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWJvibqIlUU

hoggusamoungus

Bacons Rebellion

Different times.

"Arkansas rallied with 20 unanswered points to win."

Inhogswetrust

How loud a stadium can be for any one game according to any one individual is related to who was saying it, what teams were playing and the importance of the game. Generally however some places are thought to be louder than others.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 05, 2017, 07:25:54 am
How loud a stadium can be for any one game according to any one individual is related to who was saying it, what teams were playing and the importance of the game. Generally however some places are thought to be louder than others.
Very wise observation(s). Yep, no doubt some of the absolute loudest/rowdiest crowds I've ever experienced have been at WMS. And no, this is a statement of MY experiences, not some veiled GSD post.