Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Florida has 23 five-star and four-star commits. We

Started by TulsaHawg, January 26, 2006, 08:20:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TulsaHawg

January 26, 2006, 08:20:56 am Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 08:24:39 am by TulsaHawg
have 4, according to Rivals. http://rivals100.rivals.com/teamrank.asp?SID=880

That is just a huge gap.

Sure glad that those little "*" don't mean anything.   :D

Let's see, let's see, something positive to say...........uuuhhhhhh.......

OK, how about this?  It's not the size of the dog Hog in the fight that counts, but the size of the fight in the dog Hog.  That,  and we don't play the Gators for awhile.  ;D

slimswiney

oh, the orchard walls are high and hard to part...

hogfan064

Well, we won't see Florida again until 2008 I believe

VentHog

All the hogs need to do is start winning against these teams that get these good recruits and we will start getting them ourselves.  USC Trojans will be a good place to start.

Hogs4Ever

I think we're going to have a very respectable class considering how poorly our records have been the past two seasons.  Win and the recruiting should get even better.

PigPusher

And it will continue to get better as we get into future seasons. New coaches, new skills, new enthusiasm.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

hogfancb

Quote from: VentHog on January 26, 2006, 08:37:30 am
All the hogs need to do is start winning against these teams that get these good recruits and we will start getting them ourselves. USC Trojans will be a good place to start.

Like thats going to happen.

VentHog

Quote from: hogfancb on January 26, 2006, 08:52:52 amLike thats going to happen.

That's why they play the game.  I'll give Gus,  Reggie, and the players more credit than that.

PiggyBack

I have been as critical of Dale as anyone else on this board, yet I am cautiously optimistic about this year's recruiting (with or without Damian Williams).  An earlier post said it all:  Winning fixes everything.  The Hogs play on TV a lot next year and if they win those games (or in the case of USC) play toe to toe with tough teams, then the recruiting will get better.  The old days of Dale running everything are over.  With Gus/Alex running the offense and handling a lot of the recruiting, I think we have reason to believe things are looking up.
Huggers react to facts and reason the way Linda Blair reacts to holy water.

http://allythigpen.com/woo2.swf

VentHog

Quote from: PiggyBack on January 26, 2006, 08:59:03 am
I have been as critical of Dale as anyone else on this board, yet I am cautiously optimistic about this year's recruiting (with or without Damian Williams). An earlier post said it all: Winning fixes everything. The Hogs play on TV a lot next year and if they win those games (or in the case of USC) play toe to toe with tough teams, then the recruiting will get better. The old days of Dale running everything are over. With Gus/Alex running the offense and handling a lot of the recruiting, I think we have reason to believe things are looking up.

I agree with what you are saying, but how do you know we play on TV a lot next year?

hogfancb

Don't get me wrong, I want the hogs to win them all.  I'm just used to Nutt and how he cannot win a big game in Fayetteville.  The last so called big game he won was Tennessee in 99'.  Trust me, if we win I'll eat crow.  I'll be glad to.

hogfan064

Arkansas wil probably never have a #1 recruiting class.  Top 5 is possible, but the #1 class is always from a Florida, Miami, FSU, Texas, or Southern Cal.   Those 4 just have such a huge talent pool to dig out of.  Even if we got to the point where we were winning NCs I don't think its possible for is to get to #1.  Recruiting services are very biased to Florida, Texas and Cali prospects.  We'd have to go into Texas and still 5 of their top 10 prospects,  that's very hard to do with Texas is winning BCS bowls like it is now. Still no reason we shouldn't be top 10.  You can't tell me Athens, GA or Tuscaloosa, AL are any better than Fayetteville

VentHog

Quote from: hogfancb on January 26, 2006, 09:02:49 am
Don't get me wrong, I want the hogs to win them all. I'm just used to Nutt and how he cannot win a big game in Fayetteville. The last so called big game he won was Tennessee in 99'. Trust me, if we win I'll eat crow. I'll be glad to.

Hey, Pssssssssssssssssst come here for a second............He's not running the offense anymore!   ;)

Tomhog™

FLA is blowing EVERYONE out of the water this year in recruiting.  So Cal is a distant 2nd with 15 4 and 5 *'s.  No school in the country can compare to this year's recruiting class at the Swamp...

I sure hope we can knock them down to 22 with the decommitment of DW... ;D

HogInaStrangeLand

AIRTIME
Air time next year is not known, more than likely at least seven games will be televised.

SoCal, LA-monroe, LSU, Alabama, Auburn, USC (South Carolina)
Plus our bowl game. (not saying which bowl at this time.)
7/13 isn't bad, better than a lot of schools.
That will continue to help with recruiting.

PERSONAL HISTORY OR LEGENDARY STATUS
Big problem to overcome in recruiting is establishing a history,
    if you want good 'ol southern boys to
travel a ways to come to your school, then it would be a good idea to have a track record of players
from their hometowns doing well at your school. (Arkansas is doing good work around Atlanta, that is
a solid foundation, next I believe we move into the Birmingham area, 3 hours away.)

JUMPIN JAHOGSAPHAT

Let's wait and see how many of these "world beaters" make it to campus.  I saw them interview one of these guys at the AA all-star game in S.A. and it was all he could do to string enough words together to form a sentence.  If their academic standards are as high as they say, I have a gut feeling that the only reason some of these guys go to Florida is for summer vacation.

Hoggy Mo Pena

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: hogfan064 on January 26, 2006, 08:33:15 am

great, we get florida back in the rotation just in time for this recruiting class to be all juniors and seniors.  i'd rather play em this year

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: HogInaStrangeLand on January 26, 2006, 09:21:23 am
AIRTIME
Air time next year is not known, more than likely at least seven games will be televised.

SoCal, LA-monroe, LSU, Alabama, Auburn, USC (South Carolina)
Plus our bowl game. (not saying which bowl at this time.)
7/13 isn't bad, better than a lot of schools.
That will continue to help with recruiting.

PERSONAL HISTORY OR LEGENDARY STATUS
Big problem to overcome in recruiting is establishing a history,
if you want good 'ol southern boys to
travel a ways to come to your school, then it would be a good idea to have a track record of players
from their hometowns doing well at your school. (Arkansas is doing good work around Atlanta, that is
a solid foundation, next I believe we move into the Birmingham area, 3 hours away.)

Louisana Monroe is going to be televised??
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

HogInaStrangeLand

yeah, trade off from ESPN for moving the game...

ESPNU, but still televised

wildhogman

wonder how many of those are oline and dline, how many are linebackers. Are they all QB's WR's RB's?,,I'll wait and see how they pan out before I jump of the cliff or fall on my sword.
And I'll take a pissed of Hog over a Gator anyday. The piggys can move fast when they want to.

excoach

maybe we'll find some diamonds in the rough with these recruits.

HogJoeHelm

What I love about all hog fans is how we always compare ourself to the top team in the country.  We are going to have a top 25 recruiting class, and we're all saying "We aren't even close to Florida".  I believe the ball is rolling "uphill", and the fact that we are never satisfied is very encouraging.  We are taking good steps forward, but we can't expect everything to change in one year.  However, getting a world class QB in here to show everyone else we can throw the ball is awesome!

PS..  Does anyone know what bars in Fville have ESPNU?

HogHillbilly

Stars don't mean squat.................Wasn't Mcfadden a 3 star ?
Pain heals.......Chicks dig scars.......Glory lasts forever.......GHG

HogJoeHelm

Feralhog

January 26, 2006, 09:58:39 am #25 Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 10:03:21 am by Feralhog
The key to Arkansas recruiting has always been in relation to our ability to identify and choose the best players that carry less star ratings.  My biggest complaint against HDN is not play calling, but rather his inability to properly identify needs and develop players.

Continually being top heavy at a handful of positions, while having zero depth in others is a strong indication your coaching staff is clueless when it comes to recruiting.  And what does it say about player development when our two deep roster is replete with freshmen and sophomores, season after season? 

The ability to identify and develop talent is one of the reasons I was so high on Davis.  Because Miami was a  program slammed by the NCAA, whiffing on recruits or offering the wrong kid, in that situation, would be disastrous.

Some may argue that finding talent in Florida is a kin to falling from a boat and getting wet.  But if you compare the talent level of Miami then and now, the argument can be made that under Davis, Miami had more talent. 

Pretty remarkable considering Davis was filling rosters while handicaped by some of the heaviest penalties ever levied by the NCAA! 

A school like Arkansas can't afford mistakes in recruiting.  Our roster will never be filled with 4 and 5 star recruits, however, it might help us land a few more if we'd hop on some of  these highly rated kids before their senior season. 

But beyond that, it is vital for us to do a great job identifying and anticipating areas of weakness, AND making outstanding decisions when choosing between these 3 star kids who make up the hog's heart and soul! 
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former coach finder for the Tejas Longhorns.......Feralhog the Magnificent

HogJoeHelm

The key to any good head coach is his ability to keep good people around him.  I think bringing in Malzahn and Herring will be huge, and it is a step in the right direction.  Granted, Malzahn has not done anything at the college level, but he's already proven to be a good recruiter, and the man has written books on effective offense.  I think he'll do good.  I also think that next year will be an adjustment for him. 

Deuce Pigelow

I agree with hillbillly, stars don't mean squat. I think we have had alot of 2 and 3 stars that went on to all-SEC and even drafted. What was Matt???

Foots

I think once recruits start to see how much our offense has opened up and how well each position will be utilized, they will give Arkansas more consideration. That has been the problem IMO. Lack of balanced offense from HDN. Even defensive recruits saw how one dimensional our offense was and knew we wouldn't be very good. Also having a top notch QB will help the next 3 years as well.

Feralhog

Quote from: hogcrazynut69 on January 26, 2006, 10:12:25 am
I agree with hillbillly, stars don't mean squat. I think we have had alot of 2 and 3 stars that went on to all-SEC and even drafted. What was Matt???

Matt was 5 star.
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former coach finder for the Tejas Longhorns.......Feralhog the Magnificent

hogsanity

This is Meyers 2nd class.  If and I say IF the hogs do well this year, especially on offense, we will start getting more of the 4 and 5 start guys, especially on offense.  5 start defensive guys are hard to come by for anyone.  Most big time recruiting classes are made on the offensive side of the ball.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Deuce Pigelow

I thought matt was a 3. I think players such as Hamlin and Bua were 2.

D-macs cuz

recruiting will get better because we have coaching now.

The_Bionic_Pig

What I am trying to convey to you is, you can have all the best H.S. talent in the world but if you don't develop & coach those 17 yr olds  into D-1 talent on the field then its a wasted project. 

2000 GOT BEAT DOWN IN THE COTTON BOWL BY US
2002 GOT BEAT DOWN IN AUSTIN TO STOP THIER 20+ GAME WINNING STREAK

Their is no excuse for the above events to happen to a school with that kind of talent.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

EastexHawg

Texas didn't win a national championship until 2005, but they beat Michigan in the 2004 Rose Bowl to cap off a top five season.  They have also won ten or more game for five straight seasons...they are the only D1-A program to do that.

Arkansas, meanwhile, hasn't won ten games in a season since 1989.

If Mack Brown and Texas have been a bust because they hadn't won the NC until this past year, what does that make Nutt and his teams?

BTW, I don't think anyone is saying Arkansas should have the #1 recruiting class in the nation.  That's ridiculous, and the only reason anyone would ever say "Arkansas will never have the #1 class" is to make an excuse and to make the current staff's recruiting look better than it is.

Maybe we should start with not having the lowest-rated class in the SEC West...and the 11th-rated class in the SEC...before we start talking about how impossible it is to have the nation's best class.

One more thing about USC's class...they don't have as many four and five-star recruits as Florida YET...but according to Scout EVERY ONE of their 16 current commits is either a four or five-star.  Their average star rating is 4.44 on a scale of 5.0.

hoggystyle78

I agree Easttex, our recruiting ranking for this year is no better than when we had the infamous "cloud". All those years that nutt used that as an excuse, what's the excuse now dale? I'll admit hiring Gus and Alex may turn out to be a good thing for the program but as long as nutt's in charge and has the final say, he will screw up just about everything he touches. I think it's damn pitiful when you have arguably the number one recruit in America and the rest of the class is filled with reaches, projects and plan C recruits. I want the Hogs to win as bad as anyone on this board but I'm telling you if recruting doesn't get better and soon Arkansas will never be a player year in and year out. It's possible to get the type of athlete to do that but for some reason we have a coaching staff who thinks poor little Arkansas can never recruit with the big boys, and as long as that's the thought process nutt and his murray st buddies have, recruiting will never change.
Quote from: EastexHawg on January 26, 2006, 11:15:19 am
Texas didn't win a national championship until 2005, but they beat Michigan in the 2004 Rose Bowl to cap off a top five season. They have also won ten or more game for five straight seasons...they are the only D1-A program to do that.

Arkansas, meanwhile, hasn't won ten games in a season since 1989.

If Mack Brown and Texas have been a bust because they hadn't won the NC until this past year, what does that make Nutt and his teams?

BTW, I don't think anyone is saying Arkansas should have the #1 recruiting class in the nation. That's ridiculous, and the only reason anyone would ever say "Arkansas will never have the #1 class" is to make an excuse and to make the current staff's recruiting look better than it is.

Maybe we should start with not having the lowest-rated class in the SEC West...and the 11th-rated class in the SEC...before we start talking about how impossible it is to have the nation's best class.

One more thing about USC's class...they don't have as many four and five-star recruits as Florida YET...but according to Scout EVERY ONE of their 16 current commits is either a four or five-star. Their average star rating is 4.44 on a scale of 5.0.

hogsNbeer

Quote from: Feralhog on January 26, 2006, 09:58:39 am
The key to Arkansas recruiting has always been in relation to our ability to identify and choose the best players that carry less star ratings.  My biggest complaint against HDN is not play calling, but rather his inability to properly identify needs and develop players.

Continually being top heavy at a handful of positions, while having zero depth in others is a strong indication your coaching staff is clueless when it comes to recruiting.  And what does it say about player development when our two deep roster is replete with freshmen and sophomores, season after season? 

The ability to identify and develop talent is one of the reasons I was so high on Davis.  Because Miami was a  program slammed by the NCAA, whiffing on recruits or offering the wrong kid, in that situation, would be disastrous.

Some may argue that finding talent in Florida is a kin to falling from a boat and getting wet.  But if you compare the talent level of Miami then and now, the argument can be made that under Davis, Miami had more talent. 

Pretty remarkable considering Davis was filling rosters while handicaped by some of the heaviest penalties ever levied by the NCAA! 

A school like Arkansas can't afford mistakes in recruiting.  Our roster will never be filled with 4 and 5 star recruits, however, it might help us land a few more if we'd hop on some of  these highly rated kids before their senior season. 

But beyond that, it is vital for us to do a great job identifying and anticipating areas of weakness, AND making outstanding decisions when choosing between these 3 star kids who make up the hog's heart and soul! 

amen........ Herring having to move a frickin WR to DE should tell us about Nutt's ability to recruit the proper players for positions...   We'll never be up there with the Floridas, Texas, Cali's, NDs of the country under NUTT....The writing is on the wall in FULL VIEW!

PennHOG

Quote from: slimswiney on January 26, 2006, 08:21:42 am
they can only play 11 at a time ...

Yes, but this is why when they have a key injury there is another ultra-talented player the come on in their place.  How many times has Arkansas been right there competing with the big dogs only to have a key injury and go on a loosing streak.  Wasn't it 2002 that we lost Cobbs in the middle of the season.  Then we went on that big loosing streak in November?
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Jim Harris

"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Jim Harris

Quote from: Hoggy Mo Pena on January 26, 2006, 09:24:24 am
Let's call for an NCAA investigation of Florida.

their coach doesn't come across to major recruits (and their parents), who are being recruited by a plethora of BCS bowl teams, as a snake oil salesman. Or, in Ray Dominguez' own cheerful words, "like a TEEN-AGER."
Speaking of that, I hope Ray Dominguez can put on 30 pounds and it not be fat in his belly. The reason Ray Dominguez flew "under the radar" is because his specs are not that of a four-star or five-star lineman. But, I'll happily report that a source on southeast recruiting I trust insists that he's still a football player. Now, can he add 30 pounds and it not be lard?
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

HogInaStrangeLand

HogInaStrangeLand

Someone mentioned filling gaps from injury...

Wasn't McFadden not our #1 running back before a certain player's injury?

FLKeysGuy

True, but 9 of those 4 & 5 star recruits are defensive players, 3 are categorized as "athletes" with the rest being offensive players.  When you include both sides of the ball and special teams, it isn't too hard envisioning all 23 in a game a few years from now. 

I just read what I wrote above, and now I feel ill.  :puke: 

Hopefully our class next year will have more 4 & 5 star recruits after people get to see the new offense for a season.  I hope Malzahn will be able to 'cash-in' on all those relationships he has with top high school coaches in the country when he hits the recruiting trail.  ;) :razorback:

HouTxRzbck

Quote from: hogfan064 on January 26, 2006, 08:33:15 am

Great!! Lets' play them when they are jr and sr.
"Do you do drugs Danny...?"

"...Every Day"

"So what's the problem...?"

hogsNbeer

Quote from: FLKeysGuy on January 26, 2006, 01:09:53 pm

True, but 9 of those 4 & 5 star recruits are defensive players, 3 are categorized as "athletes" with the rest being offensive players.  When you include both sides of the ball and special teams, it isn't too hard envisioning all 23 in a game a few years from now. 

I just read what I wrote above, and now I feel ill.  :puke: 

Hopefully our class next year will have more 4 & 5 star recruits after people get to see the new offense for a season.  I hope Malzahn will be able to 'cash-in' on all those relationships he has with top high school coaches in the country when he hits the recruiting trail.  ;) :razorback:

Yep...Reading that part did make you kinda wanna puke,huh........ Dont' expect the hog's offense to gel right outta the box with Gus...It's going to take him 2 or so years to get the players to learn his system of Offense...... It's not going to happen overnight, IMHO......... Look at S Carolina with Spurrier..... at times you could tell they were having problems offensively, leaning his offense.......   So don't expect too much for next year....

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: hogsNbeer on January 26, 2006, 01:51:11 pm

True, but 9 of those 4 & 5 star recruits are defensive players, 3 are categorized as "athletes" with the rest being offensive players. When you include both sides of the ball and special teams, it isn't too hard envisioning all 23 in a game a few years from now.

I just read what I wrote above, and now I feel ill. :puke:

Hopefully our class next year will have more 4 & 5 star recruits after people get to see the new offense for a season. I hope Malzahn will be able to 'cash-in' on all those relationships he has with top high school coaches in the country when he hits the recruiting trail. ;) :razorback:

Yep...Reading that part did make you kinda wanna puke,huh........ Dont' expect the hog's offense to gel right outta the box with Gus...It's going to take him 2 or so years to get the players to learn his system of Offense...... It's not going to happen overnight, IMHO......... Look at S Carolina with Spurrier..... at times you could tell they were having problems offensively, leaning his offense....... So don't expect too much for next year....

Ok, maybe I am confused.  Everything I heard was that he wasn't going to implement his whole playbook, but just add some things to the current one.  I just don't see it taking a long time to implement his philosophy.  He is going to utilize our running game, and add somethings (which would be anything) to our passing game.  I mean, you are still running, catching and passing the ball no matter what system you are running. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

FLKeysGuy

So don't expect too much for next year....

I expect better than what we've done the past two years.  Of course, that's not setting the bar too high, is it?!!

hogsNbeer

Quote from: dubyacee on January 26, 2006, 01:58:55 pm

True, but 9 of those 4 & 5 star recruits are defensive players, 3 are categorized as "athletes" with the rest being offensive players. When you include both sides of the ball and special teams, it isn't too hard envisioning all 23 in a game a few years from now.

I just read what I wrote above, and now I feel ill. :puke:

Hopefully our class next year will have more 4 & 5 star recruits after people get to see the new offense for a season. I hope Malzahn will be able to 'cash-in' on all those relationships he has with top high school coaches in the country when he hits the recruiting trail. ;) :razorback:

Yep...Reading that part did make you kinda wanna puke,huh........ Dont' expect the hog's offense to gel right outta the box with Gus...It's going to take him 2 or so years to get the players to learn his system of Offense...... It's not going to happen overnight, IMHO......... Look at S Carolina with Spurrier..... at times you could tell they were having problems offensively, leaning his offense....... So don't expect too much for next year....

Ok, maybe I am confused. Everything I heard was that he wasn't going to implement his whole playbook, but just add some things to the current one. I just don't see it taking a long time to implement his philosophy. He is going to utilize our running game, and add somethings (which would be anything) to our passing game. I mean, you are still running, catching and passing the ball no matter what system you are running.

For starters, the OLine will have to learn a whole new way of blocking.... Called Pass Blocking.....   To effectively run Gus' system(passing side)-- QB needs alot of protection..... uh, and I don't need to point out what we've done in pass blocking under Markuson.....  I dont' know what's going to happen there.......  Running side may be ok, but the passing  side will do a frickin 180!    from sending Monk out and Hillis in the flat--- to sending 3 and 4 wide, with a TE sprinkled in there at times...... It won't happen over night...... Lots of positions will be learning new things.;...

HogHillbilly

It all depends in the system they play in...................A three star might kick arse in Gus's system and get drafted, where a 5 star might not do well and tank............I still think I heard on the radio the other day that McFadden was a three star..........
Pain heals.......Chicks dig scars.......Glory lasts forever.......GHG

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: HogHillbilly on January 26, 2006, 02:14:14 pm
It all depends in the system they play in...................A three star might kick arse in Gus's system and get drafted, where a 5 star might not do well and tank............I still think I heard on the radio the other day that McFadden was a three star..........

October 5, 2004 at 10:47am ET

Darren McFadden Profile

Darren McFadden, of Oak Grove High School in Little Rock, is one top running backs in the country and ranked as the eighth best running back by TheInsiders. In the early spring, McFadden made a commitment to Arkansas. McFadden is still committed to the Razorbacks, but will visit two other schools.

"I am going to take visits to Arkansas, Alabama, and Tennessee. I am still firmly committed to Arkansas and I don't think I will change my commitment," said McFadden.

The five star running back does have a few reasons for making his visits...