Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Morris finalized contract

Started by ricepig, June 21, 2018, 04:49:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Porkys Revenge

No non-compete clause to prohibit him from going to another SEC school?? Both CBP and CBB had one.

Interesting.........

Großer Kriegschwein

I guess once Jimbo flames out he'll want to be able to go back to aTm.
This is my non-signature signature.

Porkys Revenge

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on June 21, 2018, 08:52:23 pm
I guess once Jimbo flames out he'll want to be able to go back to aTm.
Id be good with that. For him to leave here for aTm would mean he won a lot of games.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on June 21, 2018, 08:27:46 pm
No non-compete clause to prohibit him from going to another SEC school?? Both CBP and CBB had one.

Interesting.........
at this point we aren't worried about anyone stealing our coach.  heck, with our last coach, they were probably wishing someone would
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

go hogues

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on June 21, 2018, 09:03:49 pm
Id be good with that. For him to leave here for aTm would mean he won a lot of games.
Or it might mean Saban just wants another intern.  ;D
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Al Boarland

Interesting.........

I very seriously diubr both he and his agent thought that was in his best interest. The university was not in a position of leverage.

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: Al Boarland on June 21, 2018, 09:18:28 pm
I very seriously diubr both he and his agent thought that was in his best interest. The university was not in a position of leverage.

When you're hiring a coach from SMU as an SEC school, youre always in a position of leverage

Justifiable Hogicide

Interesting.........
More than a little.

Tick Hog

Quote from: Al Boarland on June 21, 2018, 09:18:28 pm
Mmmmm High School coach that only has HC experience at SMU and didn't blow the doors off there. I like CM but we should have had all the leverage in the world.

Sivad

Interesting.........
Obviously it is something Chad Morris insisted on. Not a good sign.

HeathWimp

Morris was obviously in the position of power in these negotiations.  Hardly surprising, given the toxic stew served up by Bert, Integrity, and the Big Money Cabal who ousted Integrity and Bert.  I'm not really worried about the lack of a non-compete.  If he leaves then either:

A.  He is performing above expectations, and someone else wants him.  That means he's improved the program.
B.  He's sucking and seen the writing on the wall, and pre-emptively jumps ship after a year or two.  In that case, we wouldn't owe a big buyout, and we could get started on finding the right coach, without giving him 3-5 years to flounder before we finally send him packing.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

gawntrail

It means he was not our first choice.  And, we moved down the list a bit.  No SEC compete is plausible issue to get him signed before the whole thing blew up and got out of control.  I think our heavy leverage went out the window when we missed/passed on Kiffin.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: gawntrail on June 23, 2018, 02:38:30 pm
It means he was not our first choice.  And, we moved down the list a bit.  No SEC compete is plausible issue to get him signed before the whole thing blew up and got out of control.  I think our heavy leverage went out the window when we missed/passed on Kiffin.
The Kiffin thing was much closer than many know.

Sivad

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on June 23, 2018, 02:48:27 pm
If Morris does not pan out, hope he is available in 3-4 years but bet he will have been snatched up by a power school by then.

gawntrail

Kiffin was a logical fit.  Transitioned Bama's offense to a more modern approach.  Great instincts.  Maturity was coming along.  An endless bag of tricks, advice, ideas, due to growing up in innovative football circles.  Kids like him and want to,play for him.  Etc.  and, I think we need his swagger.  We need his ability to attract the focus.  Good, bad, or indifferent, Kiffin was our best option. 

I do like CCM.  I like what I see so far.  I am all in.  But, this is a business decision, not a marriage.  I'm not cheating because I think we should have got Kiffin. 

I think he may have got a call from a very heavy hitter and it was suggested to him to be patient. 

cityhog

The very idea that we had any leverage after the good ole boys took over the search is laughable. We were in no position to negotiate if we didn't want our search to look like Tennessee's

LZH

I had a seizure reading the first three paragraphs.

Cinco de Hogo

Don't be cheap, if he wins and another school comes knocking pay hm enough to keep him...like Auburn.  If your not going to compete for your coach you don't deserve him.

31to6

Interesting.........
I have never been a fan of non-competes. All they do is make a guy feel trapped.

Much better to pay him well, treat him well, and provide him with the resources he needs to win.

Contrary to popular notion, even multi-millionaire football coaches do not enjoy uprooting their families every 5 years. Unless they are just paid way under their market value, when a coach leaves (except for a big jump DII->DI/G5->P5) there are always other factors in play.

Would you really want a guy who deep down in his heart is resentful he can't coach somewhere else because of a line in a contract?

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: cityhog on June 24, 2018, 01:53:30 am
The very idea that we had any leverage after the good ole boys took over the search is laughable. We were in no position to negotiate if we didn't want our search to look like Tennessee's

Yep recent events from Morris's hiring forward have GOB's finger prints all over them.  Last gasp of a dying breed to feel relevant and powerful again.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

HF#1

Morris will shop his name around every year. Out of all the things I have heard about him good or bad, I've heard that the most.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

PorkSoda

what was the deal with him, aka did we pass or did he pass?

certainly seemed like a high risk / high reward type.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

LZH

Quote from: PorkSoda on June 25, 2018, 04:11:08 pm

Who knows, but I did have a guy at the Town Center at Boca who saw my visor and said "looks like you've got your man." I asked him where he heard that, and he just said it was the buzz around the locals.

I'll take CM all day fwiw.

PorkSoda

Quote from: LZH on June 25, 2018, 04:27:44 pm
Who knows, but I did have a guy at the Town Center at Boca who saw my visor and said "looks like you've got your man." I asked him where he heard that, and he just said it was the buzz around the locals.

I'll take CM all day fwiw.
I wasn't a big fan of CM off the bat, but the more I researched him, the more he grew on me.  I'm hoping that he proves to be the man for the job this fall.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: PorkSoda on June 25, 2018, 04:11:08 pm

prj might have more info on the why n why nots of the Kiffin deal. I just knew it was in play and seriously being considered.

InHognito

Quote from: cityhog on June 24, 2018, 01:53:30 am

Totally false. There were five or six prime candidates for the job we could have offered. We wound up with Chad. Whether that turns out to be a good thing or not remains to be seen. But to give him the amount of power that comes without a non-compete clause is a silly movie by the administration, and one they (or we) will wind up paying $$$ for in the future.

hogcards

Interesting.........

I find that hard to believe.  It's there somewhere.  That has to be something that was simply overlooked by the fan base.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

ricepig

Quote from: hogcards on June 29, 2018, 09:34:02 am
I find that hard to believe.  It's there somewhere.  That has to be something that was simply overlooked by the fan base.

I realize this is a huge stretch, but you could read it for yourself and find it in there.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/documents/2018/jun/21/chad-morris-employment-agreement/

http://media.arkansasonline.com/news/documents/2018/06/21/Morris_Chad_Employment_Agreement_EXECUTED_RS.pdf

rhames

The non compete not being in it probably was made up by having a more doable buyout by year 3 
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

rhames

We are also paying him 3.5MM.

He didn't get one over on us.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

rhames

Quote from: Sivad on June 22, 2018, 06:37:29 pm
Obviously it is something Chad Morris insisted on. Not a good sign.

Obviously there is no way to know this.

Contracts are a negotiation. Give and take.

If he wins he will be locked down and given a raise.

redneckfriend

Everybody loves to say (and I guess believe) on this site how important coaching is. Personally I believe that if Morris doesn't start pulling in some 4 and 5 star players a no compete will be irrelevant. The SEC west is big boy football and you don't win it by calling fancy plays or running trick offenses ( to support that view I offer Gus Malzahn as exhibit A- Mr. Fancy Offense himself who has won in the SEC west primarily by recruiting NFL caliber defensive players)

The talent on the other side of the ball is too great and the most a coach can do is what Saban does- recruit the best players and demand they play mistake free football. If the other guys are better and play mistake free too then you will lose but you won't win with inferior players running some funky scheme. Maybe in the Big-12, not the SEC west. Morris needs to get SEC west quality players to make his lack of a non-compete clause relevant enough to warrant the teeth gnashing going on here.

Al Boarland

Quote from: redneckfriend on June 29, 2018, 10:25:33 am
Everybody loves to say (and I guess believe) on this site how important coaching is. Personally I believe that if Morris doesn't start pulling in some 4 and 5 star players a no compete will be irrelevant. The SEC west is big boy football and you don't win it by calling fancy plays or running trick offenses ( to support that view I offer Gus Malzahn as exhibit A- Mr. Fancy Offense himself who has won in the SEC west primarily by recruiting NFL caliber defensive players)

The talent on the other side of the ball is too great and the most a coach can do is what Saban does- recruit the best players and demand they play mistake free football. If the other guys are better and play mistake free too then you will lose but you won't win with inferior players running some funky scheme. Maybe in the Big-12, not the SEC west. Morris needs to get SEC west quality players to make his lack of a non-compete clause relevant enough to warrant the teeth gnashing going on here.

Nailed it.

"Great players make great coaches"
- Chad Morris

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: gawntrail on June 23, 2018, 03:52:59 pm
Kiffin was a logical fit.  Transitioned Bama's offense to a more modern approach.  Great instincts.  Maturity was coming along.  An endless bag of tricks, advice, ideas, due to growing up in innovative football circles.  Kids like him and want to,play for him.  Etc.  and, I think we need his swagger.  We need his ability to attract the focus.  Good, bad, or indifferent, Kiffin was our best option. 

I do like CCM.  I like what I see so far.  I am all in.  But, this is a business decision, not a marriage.  I'm not cheating because I think we should have got Kiffin. 

I think he may have got a call from a very heavy hitter and it was suggested to him to be patient.

Lane Kiffin would have never jelled with this fan base.  He wouldn't have been good at the Razorback club meetings.  As long as he was winning it would have been overlooked, but his attitude wouldn't fly here when he had a 6 or 7 win season.  I think Morris is a good fit.  He's youngish, runs a high-tempo offense, but he can still "aw-shucks" and press flesh with the boosters with ease.  He fits in here, and Kiffin wouldn't have.

Al Boarland

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on June 29, 2018, 11:13:43 am
Lane Kiffin would have never jelled with this fan base.  He wouldn't have been good at the Razorback club meetings.  As long as he was winning it would have been overlooked, but his attitude wouldn't fly here when he had a 6 or 7 win season.  I think Morris is a good fit.  He's youngish, runs a high-tempo offense, but he can still "aw-shucks" and press flesh with the boosters with ease.  He fits in here, and Kiffin wouldn't have.

I guarantee you many will not like Morris if he wins 6/7 games after the next two seasons.  Any quirks he has will be fully scrutinized.

ricepig

Quote from: Al Boarland on June 29, 2018, 11:18:40 am
I guarantee you many will not like Morris if he wins 6/7 games after the next two seasons.  Any quirks he has will be fully scrutinized.
Are you saying the third season, or after he goes 12-12 in the first two?

Al Boarland

Quote from: ricepig on June 29, 2018, 11:24:45 am
Are you saying the third season, or after he goes 12-12 in the first two?

I'm not following.  How do you know he goes 12-12?

ricepig

Quote from: Al Boarland on June 29, 2018, 11:26:19 am
I'm not following.  How do you know he goes 12-12?

I don't know, I assumed you were saying he goes 6-6 the next two seasons. Are you saying he only wins 6/7 cumulative for those two seasons?

Al Boarland

Quote from: ricepig on June 29, 2018, 11:27:52 am
I don't know, I assumed you were saying he goes 6-6 the next two seasons. Are you saying he only wins 6/7 cumulative for those two seasons?

No, I think most reasonable and some unreasonable fans will give him the next two seasons to get things going.  I think most reasonable fans hover around averaging 8 wins per year as a realistic expectation.   However, after two years the unreasonable fans will not be satisfied with the results on the years below 8 wins.  Especially if they are on the heels of the next two seasons.  The window isn't quite as small as the window to recruit at a higher level, but it is small none the less due to the recent history of the program.

InHognito

Thats sad. Do you think Saban would go "aw shucks" here? It should be about winning. The culture needs to change to a culture of winning not a culture of a politics and popularity contests. Do what it takes to get it done, not what it takes to find you a drinking buddy to talk football with when you feel the urge

porkrindjimmy

They don't understand how close.

PRJ

porkrindjimmy

Kiffin would've meshed with this fanbase perfectly. He actually was the perfect fit as coach here. We as a fanbase have a chip on our shoulder. Lane Kiffin was born with a chip on his shoulder. He so bad wants to stick it to Nick Saban and would've worked night and day to stick it to Nick Saban. What more do you want in a coach?

He was the PERFECT fit here.

PRJ