Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The "Deke"

Started by micali, April 09, 2018, 07:45:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

micali

Is this a common thing in baseball?  I didn't even know there was such a thing.  I saw the play where HK went for the ball and missed and the base runners got all confused and got called out because the batter out ran his team mate.
The color guy seemed to think HK did it on purpose.  He said it was a heads up play for a freshman to pull it off, or something to that effect. I noticed the HK went for the ball and came down and didn't show he either way if he caught or missed the ball. I liked it cause AU lost a run. 
Is this one if those unspoken rules if you do it's bush league or is it just part of the game?

Hog in Iowa

I saw the replay several times and don't feel like Heston was trying to deke anybody.  He jumped for the ball and came down with nothing in his glove.  He kept his head down and never looked up at the base runners, probably thinking how he came so close to catching it.  I think Todd Walker, the announcer who kept saying it was a smart play by HK to deke the quy, was just trying to make a story out of nothing.  I've watched baseball games for 60 years and have never seen that happen and don't believe anyone would have the foresight to think that it would happen.  It was just a strange, strange play.
The border town shook my hand, it was the gateway to some other land.
The border town is the great divide, just the gateway to some other side.
I got to get across. ~ Chris Whitley

nesjunk

Quote from: micali on April 09, 2018, 07:45:12 pm
Is this a common thing in baseball?  I didn't even know there was such a thing.  I saw the play where HK went for the ball and missed and the base runners got all confused and got called out because the batter out ran his team mate.
The color guy seemed to think HK did it on purpose.  He said it was a heads up play for a freshman to pull it off, or something to that effect. I noticed the HK went for the ball and came down and didn't show he either way if he caught or missed the ball. I liked it cause AU lost a run. 
Is this one if those unspoken rules if you do it's bush league or is it just part of the game?

It's much ado about nothing.  Kjerkstad didn't try to fake anything.  I watched the replay.  He tried to catch it and missed.  He had no way of knowing that from the runners' angle (same as mine) and the 1B ump it looked like a catch.  From 3rd base, it was obviously a home run, and the 3B ump called it immediately.  Honestly, I don't fault the AU players either.  It was just a bad (or good) break.  The only thing AU did wrong as near as I can was ignore the 1B coach.

If it had been a fake, it's perfectly legal.  Infielders will often stand with their arms at their side as the throw approaches in an attempt to deceive the runner.  Some act like a throw us coming when it isn't - in some circumstances, this IS frowned upon.  Pitchers fake to third and throw to first.  If it's legal, it's just part of the game.

woodrow hog call

A common use of the deke is when there is a runner or runners on base with less tHan two outs and a ball is hit toward an outfielder but the fielder knows it's going to drop in for a hit, he will come in looking up with his glove in position for catching a fly ball. The idea is to get the runners to hold up or even go back to tag up so they can advance once the ball is caught.

That's why they went on and on about it, but I think they were making an assumption that was not accurate.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Hogeye_Pierce

And SOME let a little pop fly drop in front of them when runners are on 1st and 2nd in order to try and turn a triple play. Don't know who tried to pull that this weekend hmmmm...?
Cry HAVOC and let slip the Hogs of war!

PORKULATOR

Quote from: Hogeye_Pierce on April 09, 2018, 09:03:15 pm
And SOME let a little pop fly drop in front of them when runners are on 1st and 2nd in order to try and turn a triple play. Don't know who tried to pull that this weekend hmmmm...?
That's why the infield fly rule was Invented right thar
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

SPAL

Dude, baseball players deke all the time.

I was playing second one time and a kid from first was coming to second on a single....I told him it was foul and he trotted back to first. We tagged him out.

Another time,I was playing center. I cheated up on a batter I knew couldn't hit it over my head.  I knew I had the ability to chase it down if he did. I kept creeping in till I was jogging. SS and 2b was holding a runner at second. Pitcher turned to pick him off but nobody was covering. Pitcher was intentionally throwing it to me. I caught it, fired a pellet to 3rd and wasted him.

I can think of several things we did. I intentionally dropped an IF fly and tagged the runner as he came by me and got two out if it.  Umps didn't call anything about me doing it.

Dekes are as much a part of Baseball as chalk lines

TexHog188

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on April 09, 2018, 10:14:34 pm
Dude, baseball players deke all the time.

I was playing second one time and a kid from first was coming to second on a single....I told him it was foul and he trotted back to first. We tagged him out.

Another time,I was playing center. I cheated up on a batter I knew couldn't hit it over my head.  I knew I had the ability to chase it down if he did. I kept creeping in till I was jogging. SS and 2b was holding a runner at second. Pitcher turned to pick him off but nobody was covering. Pitcher was intentionally throwing it to me. I caught it, fired a pellet to 3rd and wasted him.

I can think of several things we did. I intentionally dropped an IF fly and tagged the runner as he came by me and got two out if it.  Umps didn't call anything about me doing it.

Dekes are as much a part of Baseball as chalk lines

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/nine-of-the-best-baseball-dekes-fake-outs-and-trick-plays/c-177512588

Just in case you doubt the post above.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

hog.goblin

Actually by the next inning the color guy (Todd Walker I believe) walked it back and said he didn't think Heston did it on purpose.  I don't think he did either, unless it was a double fake.

Hatleyville454

Everybody loves a good Deke...most of the time when it happens, everyone talks about how great the guy's baseball IQ is. All except the team that got deked.

I remember Bernal doing a lot of it a few years ago, and the other team commentators were calling it "JUCO baseball tricks"

I agree with most others - Heston didn't intentionally try to Deke

KevinOMReb

Great play.  Why are some worried that he did or didn't deke the guy out?  Great play if he did!
Hotty Toddy,
KevinOMReb

micali

I don't know either way but whatever it was it worked to our advantage.   If he did do it, good for him. There's not a better team to do it on than AU.

rmcchris

Part of the game.  used on up the middle plays all the time.  Runner going on a hit/run pitch.  Ball is popped up.  Middle infielders act like it is a ground ball and double play situation.  Try to then double up the runner.  Another one:  Throw from catcher that gets through to centerfield.  Shortstop acts like he has ball from backing up play.  They are others.  Aubawn should quite whining, they go their Arses beat.

WizardofhOgZ

hog.goblin

Different sports, but you have the play action pass and flea flicker in football

4Lions04

I don't think Kerstad had any intention of fooling AU, I think he was upset about not robbing the homer. Either way, It's baseball. In high school we pulled off the "fake walk" on ball 3 a couple times to advance the runners over. We also used the errant pick off successfully several times. One time we got it to work twice in a double header against the same team. I was also called on a lot to "steal second" with a runner on third. There were several times where they would give me the base but I would stop and make the pitcher do something. Forced a lot of balks with that one. 

fishes2000

Auburn needs to quit whinning. they are the ones that intentionally dropped a fly ball to get a double play. 

skinnypig