Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

March 28, 2024, 07:24:57 am

Paul Johnson or Ken Niumatalolo

Started by wrec86, September 27, 2017, 09:54:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

wrec86

First post on the board, but have lurked for a while.

I am a HUGE fan of these two coaches.  I know the Flexbone isn't super popular with fanbases in general, (Up-tempo spread much more fun to watch) but these two guys are fantastic coaches and would bring something different to the table that our SEC rivals wouldn't have the time to truly prepare for in one week.

I think if we're being honest, we don't have the resources, or the natural recruiting base to "out-talent" the best teams in the conference - I think we need to be different to truly have a chance to win the division. 

Having one of these two coaches would set us apart, and we would be the most "prestigious" Flexbone team in the country,...  which means that not only would we be recruiting a different type of player than our rivals, but we would be the most prestigious offer for that type of player.

hamsam

Good god ah-mighty... I hate the internet now.

We'd be the "please don't come here if you want to go pro" elite program. That'll get you studs!!
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

regi

The Boar War

Both of those guys are great coaches.  I like to watch GT and their offense but I prefer to watch them at GT.   

whippersnapper

I would be all for hiring the navy coach. Imagine what he could with less recruiting restrictions and practice time. Who knows what would happen. Fun to think about but I doubt we get a flexbone guy

hobhog

Both would be crucified on this board within 2 games of first year...

JaketheSnake

Quote from: hobhog on September 27, 2017, 10:46:46 pm
You mean two minutes of the hiring leak.

AFBack

Watching GT has been a guilty pleasure since Paul Johnson was hired. Love watching their offense run the ball.

Ironhawg

Quote from: wrec86 on September 27, 2017, 09:54:12 pm
First post on the board, but have lurked for a while.

I am a HUGE fan of these two coaches.  I know the Flexbone isn't super popular with fanbases in general, (Up-tempo spread much more fun to watch) but these two guys are fantastic coaches and would bring something different to the table that our SEC rivals wouldn't have the time to truly prepare for in one week.

I think if we're being honest, we don't have the resources, or the natural recruiting base to "out-talent" the best teams in the conference - I think we need to be different to truly have a chance to win the division. 

Having one of these two coaches would set us apart, and we would be the most "prestigious" Flexbone team in the country,...  which means that not only would we be recruiting a different type of player than our rivals, but we would be the most prestigious offer for that type of player.

Ken Hatfield likes either of these guys.

holeinthewall

jackflash

Kevin

what could the navy coach do without the time restrictions here is under at Navy.

I like him
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hamsam on September 27, 2017, 10:05:42 pm

We'd be the "please don't come here if you want to go pro" elite program. That'll get you studs!!
Calvin Johnson played for Georgia Tech and was drafted #2 overall in the 2007 NFL draft. Just saying if you got the talent the NFL will find you. This excuse doesn't fly anymore. Paul Johnson's offense only replaces a tight end with a running back. If nothing else that's more speed on the field. They still have at least 2 wide receivers on every play.

I can deal with his offense but I'm not so sure about the other. The name of the game is to win, not to look pretty doing it or not to look pretty losing.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: jackflash on September 28, 2017, 09:25:11 am
neither would work here
Got any proof?

I'll take Georgia Tech's offense all day. People don't realize that they do have at least 2 wide receivers on every play and they do spread it out every once in a while. How many posters on here have taken the time to watch a full game of Georgia Tech football? It's a thing of beauty. Pure football at it's best.

The only thing we would gain would be dividing the Ds attention from attacking one area to stop us to attacking 3 spots and that is a huge gain.  But you still need a good o-line of the style to operate the triple option and most linemen that good opt for a more NFL friendly attack to thrive in.  So we would be operating a scheme that would be stopped enough for us to lose on a regular basis.

Hoggiedawg

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on September 28, 2017, 09:56:12 am
Calvin Johnson played for Georgia Tech and was drafted #2 overall in the 2007 NFL draft. Just saying if you got the talent the NFL will find you. This excuse doesn't fly anymore. Paul Johnson's offense only replaces a tight end with a running back. If nothing else that's more speed on the field. They still have at least 2 wide receivers on every play.

I can deal with his offense but I'm not so sure about the other. The name of the game is to win, not to look pretty doing it or not to look pretty losing.

I don't have a problem with a run heavy offense as long as we have the ability to pass when we need to.

EastexHawg

Calvin Johnson's last season at Georgia Tech was 2006.  Paul Johnson didn't get there with his flexbone until 2008, so Calvin never played for him.  My problem with Paul Johnson's offense is that having watched him for over a decade it seems like he has had the same QB every year...a runner who is elementary at best in the passing game.  It's like Les Miles' LSU QBs, only better runners operating in a wishbone.

tbhogfan

We're at "Houston Nutt would be an improvement" right now.  We're not far from "John L. Smith would be an improvement."
Go Hogs!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 28, 2017, 10:09:55 am
Calvin Johnson's last season at Georgia Tech was 2006.  Paul Johnson didn't get there with his flexbone until 2008, so Calvin never played for him.  My problem with Paul Johnson's offense is that having watched him for over a decade it seems like he has had the same QB every year...a runner who is elementary at best in the passing game.  It's like Les Miles' LSU QBs, only better runners operating in a wishbone.
Good point about Paul Johnson. Seems like he's been there forever. But they did have a run heavy offense under Chan Gailey when Calvin Johnson was there it just wasn't out of the flexbone.

Hoggish1

Quote from: hamsam on September 27, 2017, 10:05:42 pm

Well, that's the draw for a CBB coached team—the next level; and I liked it, and still do.  But the O-line is a mystery in year five (hard to swallow that).

I could care less about this thing called "the next level."  Do something nobody else does, like Ga. Tech to get some kind of edge and make your opponents hate you!

Hoggish1

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on September 28, 2017, 09:59:51 am
Got any proof?

I'll take Georgia Tech's offense all day. People don't realize that they do have at least 2 wide receivers on every play and they do spread it out every once in a while. How many posters on here have taken the time to watch a full game of Georgia Tech football? It's a thing of beauty. Pure football at it's best.

All I can tell you is that they are a *itch to play against especially with only one week to prepare.  I personally love watching CBB's style better, and I thought in this age, it was a punishing style that would win, but something is wrong with the meshing of the O-line and the run game.

Now I'm thinking to hell with the NFL, next level prep BS and just do something that wins even if it's hated by other coaches.

hogsanity

Quote from: hobhog on September 27, 2017, 10:46:46 pm

People started in on BB about 4 seconds after word of the hire leaked, so................
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

EastArkHog 47

About the only thing worse than what we have now, a coach who runs the flexbone.

wrec86

Obviously you would have to have a passing game to compliment it.  Troy Calhoun at AF runs a more "multi-dimensional" Flexbone attack that goes into shotgun and pro style sets from time to time... so it is possible to be multiple.

I agree with others on this thread that watching a fundamentally sound Flexbone attack is really fun to watch, and is a huge pain to gameplan against.

HoggieStyle

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on September 28, 2017, 10:55:41 am
People started in on BB about 4 seconds after word of the hire leaked, so................

You mean the people who have been proven correct?

hogsanity

I'd take either of those guys in a minute just for the high comedy that would follow here. The servers would physically melt.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hamsam

N
Johnson didn't start coaching at GA Tech till 2008,...
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

The Boar War

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 28, 2017, 12:50:46 pm
You mean the people who have been proven correct?

Most of the people complaining had no idea who he was.  As it turns out it hasn't worked but I'm sure you've heard the one about the broken clock.  I'm going to go ahead and say that the next coach isn't going to win a national championship so I can be "on the record".

Tusks

Glass ceiling with the wishbone nowadays.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

The Boar War

Quote from: tusked on September 28, 2017, 06:32:19 pm
Glass ceiling with the wishbone nowadays.

A ceiling with a BCS Bowl victory

regi

Calvin Johnson signed with Chan Gailey,  and his pro-style offense.  Had to play one season.

Tech fans (90%) hate,  hate,  hate their offense.  3rd down and long means,  go get a hot dog. Cause we punt next.  Average recruiting rank,  in the 60s. Their attendance is miserable and season ticket sales dwindle every year.
So,  if this is indeed a real option some of you think,  it is horrible.

JaketheSnake

Imagine what Paul Johnson could have done with the backfield of DMac, Felix, and Hillis... 

31to6

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 28, 2017, 07:42:50 pm
Imagine what Paul Johnson could have done with the backfield of DMac, Felix, and Hillis... 
He would have won 9 games.

JaketheSnake