Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tim Duncan

Started by Dr. Starcs, July 11, 2016, 09:37:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Starcs

I figured it would be ok to post here during the off season.

Timmy is quietly retiring after a 19 year career.
What a legend. A true superstar who did it with no drama and no ego.

The_Iceman

Retired appropriately for him. No announcement, no retirement final season tour. Just said goodbye. If he had shaq or lebron's personality, he would be considered a top 5 talent ever. Shame that is a factor in the media's and fan's eyes. Underappreciated talent for sure.

Hawg Red

Greatest PF of all-time and one of the 5 best overall players of all-time with MJ, Russell, Kareem, and Bird (obviously IMO).

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 11, 2016, 12:07:29 pm
Some absolutely incredible Tim Duncan stats:

https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/752544859043627009

https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/752509375449853952

https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/752509164354699265

https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/752507833690755073

If purely based on stats, and not on flash and style, he is Top 5 all time. Maybe even ahead of Larry Bird. Behind Michael Jordan, it would be an interesting argument on where he falls.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 11, 2016, 12:16:01 pm
If purely based on stats, and not on flash and style, he is Top 5 all time. Maybe even ahead of Larry Bird. Behind Michael Jordan, it would be an interesting argument on where he falls.

He ranks #4 for me and Bird is #5.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 11, 2016, 12:20:06 pm
He ranks #4 for me and Bird is #5.

Michael
Russell
Magic
Duncan
Bird

??

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 11, 2016, 12:26:21 pm
Michael
Russell
Magic
Duncan
Bird

???

1. Michael
2. Kareem
3. Russell
4. Duncan
5. Bird

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 11, 2016, 12:27:22 pm
1. Michael
2. Kareem
3. Russell
4. Duncan
5. Bird

What crazy is what they estimate Bill Russell's blocks per game at. Officials that did his games back then say he probably averaged between 6-8 blocks per game for his career. Putting him at 15 pts, 22 rebs, 4 asts, and at least 6 blks for a career...with his prime exceeding those numbers.

hogman99

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 11, 2016, 11:16:06 am
Greatest PF of all-time and one of the 5 best overall players of all-time with MJ, Russell, Kareem, and Bird (obviously IMO).

Agree, one of the top five.

Hawg Red

^^^^

Those are video game numbers in some of those close-out games.

The_Iceman

July 11, 2016, 03:29:56 pm #13 Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 03:45:40 pm by The_Iceman
As good as Duncan was for his entire career, for one season, especially the postseason, Shaq was about as unstoppable as anyone in history.

2000 Finals: Shaq averaged 38 points, 16.7 rebounds, 2.3 assists and 2.7 blocks on 61% fg shooting.

Or how about Jordans 1993 Finals: 41 points, 8.5 rebounds, 6.3 assists, 1.7 steals.
Or his 1991 Finals performance on Barkley: 31.2 points, 6.6 rebounds, 11.4 assists, 2.8 steals, 1.4 blocks, .558% shooting.

But what puts Duncan in the Top 5 for me is not only the titles, but its the fact when he was on the court for the Spurs for 19 seasons, his teams won. Always. Never a losing season. Kobe can't say that.

Kevin

always handled his business with class
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 11, 2016, 03:29:56 pm
As good as Duncan was for his entire career, for one season, especially the postseason, Shaq was about as unstoppable as anyone in history.

2000 Finals: Shaq averaged 38 points, 16.7 rebounds, 2.3 assists and 2.7 blocks on 61% fg shooting.

Or how about Jordans 1993 Finals: 41 points, 8.5 rebounds, 6.3 assists, 1.7 steals.
Or his 1991 Finals performance on Barkley: 31.2 points, 6.6 rebounds, 11.4 assists, 2.8 steals, 1.4 blocks, .558% shooting.

But what puts Duncan in the Top 5 for me is not only the titles, but its the fact when he was on the court for the Spurs for 19 seasons, his teams won. Always. Never a losing season. Kobe can't say that.

I've always had a tough time placing Shaq among the greats and I don't really know why because he was a force perhaps unlike any other we've seen. Maybe it was the post-Laker years weighing too much on me. Or the injuries (never played an 82-game regular season, averaged about 19 missed games). Or Kazaam. He could have an argument for top 5 over Bird. Spots 5-12 are really tight for me -- Bird, Shaq, Magic, LeBron, Hakeem, Wilt, Big O, Kobe.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 11, 2016, 03:56:25 pm
I've always had a tough time placing Shaq among the greats and I don't really know why because he was a force perhaps unlike any other we've seen. Maybe it was the post-Laker years weighing too much on me. Or the injuries (never played an 82-game regular season, averaged about 19 missed games). Or Kazaam. He could have an argument for top 5 over Bird. Spots 5-12 are really tight for me -- Bird, Shaq, Magic, LeBron, Hakeem, Wilt, Big O, Kobe.

To me, I think with Shaq its how many teams he played on after the Lakers. If your memory of Shaq stops in 2006 after his last ring with D-Wade, I think he gets ranked higher. During those 3 straight titles he won, there may not have been a more unstoppable player in the history of basketball during a 3 years stretch. Maybe the 1991-1993 Michael Jordan comes close, but it just felt different with him as a guard. Shaq was powerful and dominant.

yraciv

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 11, 2016, 03:29:56 pm

What about Lebron's 2016 NBA Finals? 29.7 points, 11.3 rebounds, 8.9 assists and 2.3 blocks on 49% fg shooting against the best regular season team in history.

The_Iceman

Quote from: yraciv on July 11, 2016, 04:11:29 pm
What about Lebron's 2016 NBA Finals? 29.7 points, 11.3 rebounds, 8.9 assists and 2.3 blocks on 49% fg shooting against the best regular season team in history.

It is definitely up there as well with Shaq and Michael as single series performances. Jordan (91-93) and Shaq (00-02) were amazing 3-year stretches as well.

I would have loved to seen the 1993 or 1996 Bulls team face the 2015 or 2016 Warriors team and the 2016 Cavs. What people forget is how good those teams were defensively. 6'6" Ron Harper, 6'6" Michael Jordan, and 6'8" Scottie Pippen. That is a tough backcourt defense to go through. That doesn't even consider Dennis Rodman on the inside.

bigdaddyhawg

For me, he's #2 all-time -- in constant whining and bitching about every single foul ever called against him.

Bill Laimbeer is #1.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Dr. Starcs

How many technicals did he get in his career?

Hawg Red

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 12, 2016, 09:31:30 am
For me, he's #2 all-time -- in constant whining and bitching about every single foul ever called against him.

Bill Laimbeer is #1.

;D

Yes he did especially considering he played with the Floppers.

Everything else said about him in regards to his achievements, stats, ability, etc. I won't disagree with.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 12, 2016, 09:47:57 am
How many technicals did he get in his career?

How many from Joey Crawford?

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on July 12, 2016, 10:08:34 am
;D

Yes he did especially considering he played with the Floppers.

Everything else said about him in regards to his achievements, stats, ability, etc. I won't disagree with.

Other than the fact I'm a closet Mavs fan and hate the Spurs, I always loved Timmy's game.  Just hated his constant whining.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Dr. Starcs

Somehow I knew you would be a mavs fan.

Anyway, despite the "flopping" stereotype the spurs have, they are one of the few teams that have never had a player fined for flopping.

The_Iceman

I have failed to talk to a basketball fan that did not respect Tim Duncan. They may not like him or support him, but they respect the hell out of him. That's something he sound be proud of.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 12, 2016, 10:39:06 am
Other than the fact I'm a closet Mavs fan and hate the Spurs, I always loved Timmy's game.  Just hated his constant whining.

He is one of only a FEW NBA players that I've ever seen raise his hand sometimes like in the old days when players were called for a foul. IF he disagreed with the call he didn't complain any more than any other NBA player today. The only sport I've ever seen worse than the NBA at whining overall is soccer.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 12, 2016, 10:56:35 am
Somehow I knew you would be a mavs fan.

Anyway, despite the "flopping" stereotype the spurs have, they are one of the few teams that have never had a player fined for flopping.

Cheap shot on the Mavs fan there.

Genobli is the only one who's flopping bugs me, but I've watching Timmmy throw his arms up in the air and say "who me?" about every single freaking foul called against him for what seems like 25 years, and that's something I simply don't respect.  Just shut up and play, stop being a freaking baby.

As far as hating the Spurs, I do, but I also have respected them a ton over all these years.  I don't like Pop at all.  He's an arrogant prick.  But I think he's a great BB coach.

As a BB fan I've enjoyed the Spurs playing the game like it should be played -- and that's not all that common a thing in this day and age.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 12, 2016, 11:04:04 am
He is one of only a FEW NBA players that I've ever seen raise his hand sometimes like in the old days when players were called for a foul. IF he disagreed with the call he didn't complain any more than any other NBA player today. The only sport I've ever seen worse than the NBA at whining overall is soccer.

OMG yes!!

Having said that, FIFA actually saw they had a problem with that and have cracked down on the flopping and the constant drama, and the game has been noticeably better to watch because of it.

HogBreath

Whoa....sad day for basketball fans when one of the all time greats calls it quits.  No question he was the man.  Great player and a great person.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

CallMeAl

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 11, 2016, 12:16:01 pm
Purely based on stats.....Wilt Chamberlain?
Hog since birth.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Rusty Shackleford on July 13, 2016, 12:07:35 pm
Purely based on stats.....Wilt Chamberlain?

He isn't as good as Wilt the Stilt.
Hogs up! Covid down!

CallMeAl

Quote from: FineAsSwine on July 13, 2016, 12:14:07 pm
He isn't as good as Wilt the Stilt.

Based purely on stats, no one is as good as Wilt Chamberlain.
Hog since birth.

The_Iceman

Don't you wish you could see all these different players from different eras on the same court together? I wonder which players from today's game could and couldn't play in other eras, and vice versa.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 14, 2016, 08:24:43 am
Don't you wish you could see all these different players from different eras on the same court together? I wonder which players from today's game could and couldn't play in other eras, and vice versa.

I've often wished I could see Oscar Roberson play in these days of carrying the ball at will, taking four and five steps going to the basket, changing pivot feet at will, using broad, strong shoulders to bull your defender across the lane, and getting your scoring average almost doubled by getting any touch foul called.

The guy would've averaged 50 points a game.

The_Iceman

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 14, 2016, 09:20:22 am
I've often wished I could see Oscar Roberson play in these days of carrying the ball at will, taking four and five steps going to the basket, changing pivot feet at will, using broad, strong shoulders to bull your defender across the lane, and getting your scoring average almost doubled by getting any touch foul called.

Think about guys trying to guard Michael Jordan without hand checking or being able to use an arm-bar while he posts up.

Michael averaged 37 pts per game one year, and had a 30ppg career average. Just think about what he would do in today's game. There are a lot of 6'6" guards now, a lot of guys that can dunk like him, but no one has the complete package he had as a shooting guard. Kobe is the closest thing we've seen. Lebron plays a different position and dominates the game differently, I compare his career more to Bird and Magic.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 14, 2016, 09:48:45 am
Think about guys trying to guard Michael Jordan without hand checking or being able to use an arm-bar while he posts up.

Michael averaged 37 pts per game one year, and had a 30ppg career average. Just think about what he would do in today's game. There are a lot of 6'6" guards now, a lot of guys that can dunk like him, but no one has the complete package he had as a shooting guard. Kobe is the closest thing we've seen. Lebron plays a different position and dominates the game differently, I compare his career more to Bird and Magic.

I'm a Jordan lover of the highest order, but Michael did benefit of the dawning of the age of "any defender close? It must be a foul (or a three point play)".  That inglorious style of basketball is now in its full blown excess these days.  It certainly would have boosted MJ's scoring average, no question.

Piggage

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 14, 2016, 09:20:22 am

Yes, he probably would have averaged 50, still with plenty of assists. But neither he nor his teammates had to defend any of that stuff.

husker71

MJ got beat up every time down court unless he was steps ahead on the defenders

lynbug

Quote from: HogBreath on July 12, 2016, 08:53:26 pm
Whoa....sad day for basketball fans when one of the all time greats calls it quits.  No question he was the man.  Great player and a great person.

Also, think about the All Star that preceded him at San Antonio.  I was a big David Robinson fan and I remember thinking when he retired that it was the end of a era at San Antonio but........who would have guessed that it was just the beginning.

The_Iceman

Quote from: lynbug on July 14, 2016, 04:20:08 pm
Also, think about the All Star that preceded him at San Antonio.  I was a big David Robinson fan and I remember thinking when he retired that it was the end of a era at San Antonio but........who would have guessed that it was just the beginning.

David Robinson's stretch from '89-'90 to '95-'96 was about as good as we've ever seen. In 1994 he went for 29.8pts, 10.7rebs, 4.8asts, 3.3blks, and 1.7 stls. For comparison, Lebron's best season in the NBA is his 2010 year where he went for 29.7pts, 7.3rebs, 8.6asts, 1.0blks, and 1.6stls. Just to put in perspective how dominating The Admiral was. He also blocked 4.5 shots per game in 1992. Incredible player.

Even with that, Tim Duncan exceeded that production over the length of a 19 year career.