Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Joe Johnson to the Jazz

Started by razorbackfan4life, July 02, 2016, 01:46:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

razorbackfan4life

2 years $22 million. 

I've watched Joe his entire career and I never could have imagined him on the Jazz. 

With that said he will definitely add some veteran leadership and scoring to that group.  Hard to say if he will start or be the 6th man. 

OnTheHillHogFan

He will definitely come off of the bench. The Jazz should be a pretty good team next year. Hopefully they can stay healthy unlike this year.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Hawg Red

Quote from: OnTheHillHogFan on July 02, 2016, 04:46:13 am
He will definitely come off of the bench. The Jazz should be a pretty good team next year. Hopefully they can stay healthy unlike this year.

Definitely will back up Rodney Hood. Great signing by the Jazz and Joe extracts another $22 million out of the NBA. Wish he would recruit for the Hogs more but we know he's a quiet guy.

onebadrubi

He has a knack for staying away from quality teams. I guess he rather play more seasons by saving his body from the playoffs

HOGINTENNESSEE

CallMeAl

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 02, 2016, 07:02:49 am
He has a knack for staying away from quality teams. I guess he rather play more seasons by saving his body from the playoffs
Joe has played in the playoffs in 11 of his 18 years. The last 9 years in a row. Atlanta completely sucked until he got there and led them to their first playoff appearance in 9 years.
Hog since birth.

Hawg Red

Utah will be a playoff team this season.

k.c.hawg

Stupid statement considering he has 101 playoff games in his career and is #16 among active players in playoff points scored and #20 among active players for most playoff games played. Has he won it all, no. 90% of every player that has ever played in the NBA would trade their career without debate for Joe Johnson's.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

rzrbackramsfan

sadhogfan

It's very likely that JJ will top 20,000 career points this season. That is a big deal...almost twice of what any other Hog (that I can find) has ever accumulated in the pros.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on July 02, 2016, 05:31:49 pm
Another 22 mill haha

Highest paid NBA player ever to not make first or second NBA team lol

daprospecta

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on July 03, 2016, 10:48:32 am
He was headed that way until he got hurt. Joe was much more aggressive including dunking on players but I think he realized that if he played laid back, he could extend his career. Seems to have worked out for him.

Tigaman

I don't think that will last much longer with the money that is currently being throw around

Beaverfever

Quote from: Tigaman on July 03, 2016, 02:14:58 pm
I don't think that will last much longer with the money that is currently being throw around
He's still a very solid role player coming off the bench.  Considering the new contracts, 11 mil doesn't seem like an awful deal for the Jazz. 

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: Tigaman on July 03, 2016, 02:14:58 pm

Very true

Hawg Red

Who gives a flip? Dude is a Hog, has had a damn good NBA career, and got PAID. I don't see a need for Razorback fans to dog him. Joe Johnson made as much money as he did in the NBA because he was willing to play in Atlanta and any success they are currently experiencing or have experienced since he arrived there can attributed to him. They've had other good players, maybe even better players, but he was the first good free agent to pick ATL and stick in ATL. Everything that followed, he built. He brought that franchise back into semi-relevancy and deserved every penny they gave him for that reason.

razorJAcker

Big Jazz fan here.  Gonna be really cool to see JJ on the Jazz the next couple of seasons.  He fits perfectly with the Jazz roster.  He adds shooting which the Jazz desperately needed, and he gives them another option to hit big shots in close games, something the Jazz really struggled with last season.  On top of that, he's the 8th man, so he won't feel the pressure to do too much.  Jazz are very deep now, and assuming they avoid the amount of injuries they suffered last season, are poised to be a 50+ win team.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 03, 2016, 09:33:48 pm
Who gives a flip? Dude is a Hog, has had a damn good NBA career, and got PAID. I don't see a need for Razorback fans to dog him. Joe Johnson made as much money as he did in the NBA because he was willing to play in Atlanta and any success they are currently experiencing or have experienced since he arrived there can attributed to him. They've had other good players, maybe even better players, but he was the first good free agent to pick ATL and stick in ATL. Everything that followed, he built. He brought that franchise back into semi-relevancy and deserved every penny they gave him for that reason.

Chill out man lol. I just heard that fact on the radio the other day and thought it was funny/cool. Not "dogging" him.

husker71

makes less than 1/2 of somebody named Tyler Johnson     deserves every penny and would love to have him on my roster   never seems to be a problem and can still makes big shots

Hawg Red

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on July 04, 2016, 07:52:51 am
Chill out man lol. I just heard that fact on the radio the other day and thought it was funny/cool. Not "dogging" him.

Quit crawfishing.

You made our statement and attached "lol" at the end. There's nothing "cool" about that fact, nor is it somehow funny (unless you're dogging him....).

onebadrubi

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 03, 2016, 09:33:48 pm

Dude you're FOS!  Argue all you want and show you r man crush all you want. I have no issue at all with Joe and think he is a good player and then of course love fellow hogs.  Some of you are not seeing good through those hog glasses. 

There is NEVER anything wrong with a pro athlete allowing money leading his playing decision. But don't flame someone for highlighting that. He chose ATL for money, he's BEEN gone and is not even 1% responsible for their success the last year or two (do you even call it success considering the nba east).  He then went to the nets... The nets... Lol keep arguing. The cava wanted him this season when released but he chose a few more dollars to play at Miami, who did show a chance but we all knew who was going from the east.

I don't see him making a David west type decision.  And their is NOTHING wrong with that. Some of you just get way to bent out of shape about it. 

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 04, 2016, 04:40:43 pm
Dude you're FOS!  Argue all you want and show you r man crush all you want. I have no issue at all with Joe and think he is a good player and then of course love fellow hogs.  Some of you are not seeing good through those hog glasses. 

There is NEVER anything wrong with a pro athlete allowing money leading his playing decision. But don't flame someone for highlighting that. He chose ATL for money, he's BEEN gone and is not even 1% responsible for their success the last year or two (do you even call it success considering the nba east).  He then went to the nets... The nets... Lol keep arguing. The cava wanted him this season when released but he chose a few more dollars to play at Miami, who did show a chance but we all knew who was going from the east.

I don't see him making a David west type decision.  And their is NOTHING wrong with that. Some of you just get way to bent out of shape about it.
He didn't choose the Nets he got traded there.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Hawg Red

He got traded to Nets. Had no say in that.

You want to knock him going to the Heat, but it was not known at the time that Chris Bosh would miss the remainder of the season and the entire playoffs when he signed them. They still advanced a round and took Toronto to Game 7. Put Bosh out there with Whiteside, Wade, Dragic, Joe, and Winslow and that's a dangerous team. Maybe they beat Cleveland if they're full healthy. Chris Bosh is a pretty big missing variable, so I'm not going to say Cleveland definitely beats Miami at full strength because I think the Heat match up well with the Cavs.

Joe Johnson is absolutely responsible for the success that Atlanta has had because he laid the groundwork as a young, talented free agent willing to go there back when he became a free agent in Phoenix. It's been well-publicized that Atlanta has a tough time signing free agents. Joe Johnson changed that, IMO. He went there, they built around him, and he led them as perennial playoff contenders. That's something not a lot of franchise can say. He kept them relevant and allowed them to sign guys like Paul Millsap, Dwight Howard, re-sign Kent Bazemore. Doesn't matter that he wasn't there, but he was the main factor in that franchise going to the playoffs 6 straight years after missing the playoffs for something like 9 straight years. Let that sink in and tell me Joe wasn't huge for that franchise. They did a great job in drafting Al Horford and he's definitely been their best player for some years now (even when Joe was there at the end), but Joe built up them being a playoff contender each year without question because he was the only constant. Players came and went and he played for a few different coaches in Atlanta.

Hawg Red

Quote from: OnTheHillHogFan on July 04, 2016, 08:04:35 pm
He didn't choose the Nets he got traded there.

Love it when someone says "keep arguing lol" but does not grasp the facts themselves. Love it.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 04, 2016, 08:14:22 pm
Love it when someone says "keep arguing lol" but does not grasp the facts themselves. Love it.

The keep arguing was in context of him making Atalanta who they are today. If you are going to use quotes at least quote it right or don't quote it... Lol.  That's the point of using quotes.

Without going back and researching it, I am 99% sure Bosch and the players union were already talking to the heat and NBa at the trade deadline to get him on the court. He was cleared by doctors but the heat weren't letting him back for health reasons. Bosh wasnt coming back on the court when they got Johnson. Johnson followed the money exclusively yet this years heat team is most likely the closest to a league or division team he will be on the rest of his career. Keep touting the Jazz in the west, that's comparable to thinking Missouri could compete in the SEC-w in football the next few years.

onebadrubi

And the last two years of Atlanta's success has ABSOLUTey nothing to do with Johnson. I can't even believe you are trying to prove that.

Hawg Red

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 04, 2016, 09:58:38 pm
And the last two years of Atlanta's success has ABSOLUTey nothing to do with Johnson. I can't even believe you are trying to prove that.

Without Joe, they don't start making the playoffs. Without them making the playoffs, they don't sign Millsap (who has been an All-Star the last 3 years for them). Again, how do you not credit Joe Johnson for that? You only want to focus on the end result while ignoring what got things started.

Hawg Red

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 04, 2016, 09:57:29 pm
The keep arguing was in context of him making Atalanta who they are today. If you are going to use quotes at least quote it right or don't quote it... Lol.  That's the point of using quotes.

Without going back and researching it, I am 99% sure Bosch and the players union were already talking to the heat and NBa at the trade deadline to get him on the court. He was cleared by doctors but the heat weren't letting him back for health reasons. Bosh wasnt coming back on the court when they got Johnson. Johnson followed the money exclusively yet this years heat team is most likely the closest to a league or division team he will be on the rest of his career. Keep touting the Jazz in the west, that's comparable to thinking Missouri could compete in the SEC-w in football the next few years.

Are you sure that Joe Johnson signed for more money in Miami? Because he got paid $261,894, which I'm almost positive is the pro-rated veteran's minimum (actually, I'm 100% positive because Miami was over the cap just like Cleveland). That means he didn't get paid any more than he would have had he signed with Cleveland. Again, know your facts.

And, by the way, Chris Bosh was actually playing for the Miami Heat two weeks before the trade deadline, so there is no way they could have known at that point that they were going to shut him down. Them facts got ya again.

onebadrubi

Facts:

Bosch went out 2/9 with blood clots that has already side lined him a year before.  It doesn't take a doctor to see there is a major health concern there. 
Joe Johnson heat 2/27-2/28. 

I can not find his pay in Miami or any contract details from after his buyout with the nets to his Jazz contract, but what you can find is how much he liked Drew and Lue in Cleveland, said it was like family.  He also goes on in many instances about how much he likes the Cleveland pace of play and how he would enjoy the up and down pace. 

TO be honest, if his choice was strictly about money in that decision, OKC had the most to offer at 2.4 mil while atlanta was somewhere around 2 for the season.  Cleveland could only offer 400,000... read multiple articles and no where could I find Miami's offer.  Just to find those fact for you. (THese numbers are from a few different articles from people who understand the cap and what a team could offer, not what WAS offered).

I'm done with this pissing match.  I think you are absolutely crazy for contributing the last two years of Atlanta's success to Atlanta. You can spin it anyway you want, but his impression had nothing to do with that team's run the last two years.  Johnson was a great Hog player and is still a good supporter of the Hogs from all accounts I hear or see.  I have no issue with the guy.  But If I were later in my career, was definitely not cash strapped as he is not, and wanted to win, I would not chose the Utah Jazz.  They are a bottom 15 team and will be that way again. 

k.c.hawg

Seriously, you might want to leave this part out of your argument. Fact: He left $3 million on the table to leave New Jersey. So he gives up $3 million to play for a contender and then chooses the team based on $100k at the most. That is a ridiculous argument.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Hawg Red

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 05, 2016, 11:27:45 am
Facts:

Bosch went out 2/9 with blood clots that has already side lined him a year before.  It doesn't take a doctor to see there is a major health concern there. 
Joe Johnson heat 2/27-2/28.

Bosh says he was healthy to play and had been cleared by doctors. So.....

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 05, 2016, 11:27:45 amI can not find his pay in Miami or any contract details from after his buyout with the nets to his Jazz contract, but what you can find is how much he liked Drew and Lue in Cleveland, said it was like family.  He also goes on in many instances about how much he likes the Cleveland pace of play and how he would enjoy the up and down pace.

Well, I did find his contract details and gave them to you. He signed for the minimum in Miami. Wasn't a money grab.

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 05, 2016, 11:27:45 amTO be honest, if his choice was strictly about money in that decision, OKC had the most to offer at 2.4 mil while atlanta was somewhere around 2 for the season.  Cleveland could only offer 400,000... read multiple articles and no where could I find Miami's offer.  Just to find those fact for you. (THese numbers are from a few different articles from people who understand the cap and what a team could offer, not what WAS offered).

So he took less money to play for Miami? He made 260k in Miami. Fact.

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 05, 2016, 11:27:45 amI'm done with this pissing match.  I think you are absolutely crazy for contributing the last two years of Atlanta's success to Atlanta. You can spin it anyway you want, but his impression had nothing to do with that team's run the last two years.  Johnson was a great Hog player and is still a good supporter of the Hogs from all accounts I hear or see.  I have no issue with the guy.  But If I were later in my career, was definitely not cash strapped as he is not, and wanted to win, I would not chose the Utah Jazz.  They are a bottom 15 team and will be that way again.

How attractive of a free agent option is Atlanta without Joe Johnson agreeing to go there and ending their 9-year playoff drought? You see, without Joe Johnson, as I've already mentioned, they probably don't get Paul Millsap or a comparable free agent. But Joe built them up into an every-year playoff team and then the Hawks traded him. Everything that he gave the Hawks does not magically disappear the second he's off the roster.

onebadrubi

Heat docts NEVER cleared Bosch to play and refused too.  Might want to research that a little more.  Bosch wanted to play, yes.

Hawg Red

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 05, 2016, 11:54:15 am
Heat docts NEVER cleared Bosch to play and refused too.  Might want to research that a little more.  Bosch wanted to play, yes.

Right, the team's doctors. Doctors that are paid by the team that might be trying to be overly cautious so they aren't held liable if something were to happen, no?

Bosh had his own doctor that said he was able to play. But that doctor doesn't work for the Miami Heat. Whether or not the Heat doctors were correct is beside the point. There was an internal struggle between Bosh and the Heat over his clearance. Bosh also got the NBPA involved. So what do you think he told Joe Johnson if Joe were to call and ask if he was going to play again this season?

But this Bosh thing is really a moot point now since I've already established that there's no possible way Joe Johnson could have signed with the Heat for more money. He signed a contract for the league minimum.

Hawg Red

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 05, 2016, 11:27:45 am
But If I were later in my career, was definitely not cash strapped as he is not, and wanted to win, I would not chose the Utah Jazz.  They are a bottom 15 team and will be that way again.

Utah was one game away from making the playoffs in the West. And that's without Dante Exum for the entire year, Derrick Favors missing 20 games, Alec Burks missing 51 games, and Rudy Gobert missing 21 games. That's a lot of missed games from key pieces. Still only one game away from the playoffs. Now they have added George Hill, Joe Johnson and Boris Diaw. Their roster is literally loaded. Not Golden State loaded but 50-win potential loaded. I think they could be a 4/5 seed this year. There's no way they'll be in the bottom half of the league. They'll be better than Dallas, Houston, OKC, and maybe even Portland and Memphis from this season's Western Conference playoffs.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 04, 2016, 01:33:38 pm
Quit crawfishing.

You made our statement and attached "lol" at the end. There's nothing "cool" about that fact, nor is it somehow funny (unless you're dogging him....).

Ok, my thought process:

It's "cool" that a former hog would be the highest paid player in a major sport, even under these circumstances.

I thought it was "funny" that someone actually had that statistic or fact. Seems like an odd factoid, so I kind of chuckled after hearing it.

I'm not a big NBA fan, I don't have a particular team that I follow, so I usually follow hog players and their teams. Since Joe has been the main hog in the NBA for a while, I have kept up with his stops. Wish he had had a legit shot at a title, but a great career nonetheless.

1highhog

I don't have a dog in this pissing match except to say that Joe has been a big saver of his money and only has bought a couple of toys his entire career plus taking care of his Mom.  Joe has been very smart business wise and that's what I like about him, and not seeing him wasting all his money and having to play well beyond his good years for pennies on the dollar just to get himself out of debt.  I hope that DMac has done the same, because he's winding down to the end of his career and the thing about DMac was I know he always tried to take care of his friends and he had several kids as well, hope he saved wisely. 

Pork Twain

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 04, 2016, 01:33:38 pm
Quit crawfishing.

There is just so much butthurt to be had in here though.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pig in the Pokey

he's avoided like 2 seasons already in his career!! lmao
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Hawghiggs

Should have taken less money and played for a contender. I would have loved to seen him play for San Antonio.