Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Norvell, Arkansas connections!

Started by Ghost Writer in the Sty, November 08, 2017, 10:53:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hawg Marshal

I don't care if he had corn rows in college.

The Hawg Marshal

Hawg414

Paul

He could even wear them now with his salt & peppa hair while he called the Hogs & it wouldn't bother me

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Paul on November 08, 2017, 03:39:04 pm
He could even wear them now with his salt & peppa hair while he called the Hogs & it wouldn't bother me
Yep as long as he wins.

Paul

Marshfieldhog

He could wear a speedo and have corn rows so long as we win 8-10 per year

Paul

Quote from: hogblitz on November 08, 2017, 11:39:11 am
I live in the Memphis Area.  There is a whole lot of chatter about the speech he gave yesterday at the TD Club in Memphis.  As in chatter, I mean that in a extremely positive way.  Many are saying if other schools would have had their AD's in attendance, they would have tried to hire him on the spot.  I do believe if we are smart enough to offer Norvell, he will take it.  Some over here think Arkansas is in the lead and have thought so before the season even started.
the Memphis boosters I know have been rooting all year for the Hogs, even more than me

jackflash

now who dreaming 10 wins

Paul

Quote from: The Kig on November 08, 2017, 12:02:44 pm
Exactly.  He's about to win the lottery... Not sure how big a factor going to UCA or having a wife from AR is going play.  I was raised in AR, my wife was born there...we don't live there now and unless some major genomic research centers crop up aren't likely to move back.  Point is, you go where the money is...

Even if the money were equal, the playing field isn't.  If we want him, gonna have to have the bankroll to play at the high stakes table.
Tenn's next coach will be their 5th in 10 years.  That's gotta factor in a coach's decision to go to Rocky Top.

hogsanity

Quote from: Paul on November 08, 2017, 03:56:00 pm
Tenn's next coach will be their 5th in 10 years.  That's gotta factor in a coach's decision to go to Rocky Top.

Hogs getting a new coach would be their 5th HC in 10 yrs too.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The Hawg Marshal

Bret -5 yrs
John L. 1 yr
Bobby 4-yrs.
According to my math that is 10 years 3 coaches. What am I missing?

Paul

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 08, 2017, 04:05:51 pm
Bret -5 yrs
John L. 1 yr
Bobby 4-yrs.
According to my math that is 10 years 3 coaches. What am I missing?
Yep

The Hawg Marshal

texas tush hog

Quote from: tusked on November 08, 2017, 10:57:54 am
He's not FROM Arkansas, he's from Dallas.  Which is just another reason to get this guy hired.

Irving, actually. Arkansas is his dream job, according to family members. Jeffie, try not to screw this one up, please.

texas tush hog

Quote from: tusked on November 08, 2017, 11:32:16 am
The 'pick' for Norvell will be between AR and TN.  My brother graduated from TN and I've been in that stadium a hundred times.  It's no where close to a slam dunk that TN is a better job.  It very comparable to the UA job.  It depends on a lot of things and I can see a HC picking the hogs over the vols 4 to 5 out of 10 times.

Word on the street is that Tennessee wants Matt Campbell, and is prepared to drive up the road to Kentucky, and raid Fort Knox to get him.

RebHog

Norvell is following Fuente who took the job when the tigers won a grand total of 5 games from 2009-2012 when he took over. Fuente struggled early on then skyrocketed. Is Norvell just keeping the momentum going that someone else started?  How many of his players are on the field this year? I haven't watched any Memphis games this year cause I have no interest in their program and they have played 2 ranked opponents. They beat UCLA which is now 4-5 and got stomped by UCF which proved to be legit. I am not against him yet this small amount of wiki research is leaving me wondering why so are high not just Arkansas on this guy? The offensive appears to be a well oiled machine how much different is it then what Fuente ran while he was the Tiger head coach?

Birminghog

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on November 08, 2017, 02:33:04 pm
Wait a minute.!?!? Why did you just smash his head in with that Truth-ball bat.!??

Paranoia strikes deep. Into your lives it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid. Step out of line, the Man comes and takes you away.

Hawginj

There is a lot to like about Norvell. Young energetic,  fun high scoring offense, great special teams, state ties but why don't you do some research watch some highlights like many of us have done and you just might see why

HatfieldEra

Talent. 

Just my opinion. 

Matt Burks

Quote from: RebHog on November 08, 2017, 05:17:56 pm
Norvell is following Fuente who took the job when the tigers won a grand total of 5 games from 2009-2012 when he took over. Fuente struggled early on then skyrocketed. Is Norvell just keeping the momentum going that someone else started?  How many of his players are on the field this year? I haven't watched any Memphis games this year cause I have no interest in their program and they have played 2 ranked opponents. They beat UCLA which is now 4-5 and got stomped by UCF which proved to be legit. I am not against him yet this small amount of wiki research is leaving me wondering why so are high not just Arkansas on this guy? The offensive appears to be a well oiled machine how much different is it then what Fuente ran while he was the Tiger head coach?

Do research beyond Wikipedia. Fuente actually changed his offense after spending several days with Norvell. Also, Norvell is a better recruiter. Most of the starters on this year's Memphis team are freshmen that Norvell recruited.

HogCzar1

Assuming that the Memphis media accounts are correct, why not Norvell?

It appears from those accounts he WANTS the job. Not just an up and coming coach that we hope to convince to take it. He has Arkansas ties, he runs a more entertaining offense, he is young and energetic, and he has not let Justin Fuente's momentum at Memphis slide any.

For me, it would take an extremely high profile guy with a history of winning before I would pass on Norvell.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Dude has huge upside.  Nothing is guaranteed but at 36 could get a good 10 to 15 prime years out of him. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Tusks

Do your own research.  There's plenty out there and detailed at that.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

RebHog

Quote from: Matt Burks on November 08, 2017, 07:06:53 pm
Do research beyond Wikipedia. Fuente actually changed his offense after spending several days with Norvell. Also, Norvell is a better recruiter. Most of the starters on this year's Memphis team are freshmen that Norvell recruited.
Fuente actually changed his offense after spending several days with Norvell.
Can you post a link to this I didnt come up with anything on google?

Most of the starters on this year's Memphis team are freshmen that Norvell recruited.

http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/memphis/91050

Freshman this year?

Hollywood_HOGan45

Because he's awsome. We'd be lucky to get him.

ipigsooie

Quote from: RebHog on November 08, 2017, 08:10:05 pm

Most of the starters on this year's Memphis team are freshmen that Norvell recruited.

Freshman this year?

You do understand that those players that you highlighted with the tr beside their name are transfers and never played for Fuente? Also miller, who will be a first round draft pick was not highly recruited and barely played under Fuente. He had 600 yards receiving and jumped to 1400 the first year under norvell and will most likely have as much this year. Riley Ferguson is a Norvell recruit. I see you highlighted him as well.

pigroots

I have wondered the same thing. When a guy is successful for a short time after following someone else I wonder who should get the credit. May be great but sample size could mean he might be a bust. We can't afford a bust

Paul

Quote from: pigroots on November 08, 2017, 08:31:01 pm
I have wondered the same thing. When a guy is successful for a short time after following someone else I wonder who should get the credit. May be great but sample size could mean he might be a bust. We can't afford a bust
. All you have to do is read the threads in this forum & follow the links

clutch

Quote from: pigroots on November 08, 2017, 08:31:01 pm

There's a reason that he's one of the most sought after coaches in the country right now. The man can flat out coach and recruit.

Matt Burks

Quote from: RebHog on November 08, 2017, 08:10:05 pm

Freshman this year?

"It was former Tigers coach Justin Fuente who decided to switch to this style of offense ahead of quarterback Paxton Lynch's freshman year in 2013. Before doing so, he visited with Norvell, then the offensive coordinator at Arizona State, for three days.
Fuente "stole a lot of ideas," according to Dickey, who also served as Fuente's offensive coordinator."

http://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/college/memphis-tigers/football/2017/10/26/memphis-football-speeding-ticket-offense-tigers-mike-norvell-riley-ferguson-anthony-miller-tulane/803769001/

RebHog

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 08, 2017, 08:23:09 pm
You do understand that those players that you highlighted with the tr beside their name are transfers and never played for Fuente? Also miller, who will be a first round draft pick was not highly recruited and barely played under Fuente. He had 600 yards receiving and jumped to 1400 the first year under norvell and will most likely have as much this year. Riley Ferguson is a Norvell recruit. I see you highlighted him as well.

Umm what???...... the players "I" highlighted lol? I posted a link to a webpage that had the most current roster chart I could find. Then again even if I highlighted them that brings the grand total on offense and defense to 4. What is your definition for most cause we aren't on the same page there. I just started this thread to hopefully hear some good insight on why not just us but a lot are high on this guy. I would love to hear some good insight on why after 1.5 years into a mid tier job behind a coach that got the ball rolling why he would be the solution and for what reason...all im looking for!???
;

RebHog

Quote from: Matt Burks on November 08, 2017, 10:16:36 pm
"It was former Tigers coach Justin Fuente who decided to switch to this style of offense ahead of quarterback Paxton Lynch's freshman year in 2013. Before doing so, he visited with Norvell, then the offensive coordinator at Arizona State, for three days.
Fuente "stole a lot of ideas," according to Dickey, who also served as Fuente's offensive coordinator."

http://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/college/memphis-tigers/football/2017/10/26/memphis-football-speeding-ticket-offense-tigers-mike-norvell-riley-ferguson-anthony-miller-tulane/803769001/

Yeeshh.....says the OC who wasn't brought along to a better school then became the OC for said coach of those ideas.  :-\

Matt Burks

Quote from: RebHog on November 08, 2017, 10:25:04 pm
Yeeshh.....says the OC who wasn't brought along to a better school then became the OC for said coach of those ideas.  :-\

Please rephrase, I don't quite understand your statement.

Matt Burks

I've researched him quite a bit and I've found some very interesting things about Norvell, including that he, Gus, SMU's Morris and Chicago Bears OC Dowell Loggains meet occasionally and discuss football schemes. He's obviously very much respected and admired by other football coaches. His mentor Graham -

Graham has worked with some impressive offensive minds during his seven-year career. Aside from Malzahn, Clemson offensive coordinator Chad Morris and Texas co-offensive coordinator Major Applewhite are both a part of his coaching tree.
Still, Graham said Norvell, as a complete package, is the best of the group, someone who one day will be a "big-time" coach.

"Just being honest, Mike I would not consider (only) an offensive guy," Graham said. "He understands how it's about all three components working together. It's not just about how many yards he has on offense. He's the best recruiter I've been around. That's what separates him. He's growing. He listens and learns. Mike is a guy that just really, really gets it."

http://archive.azcentral.com/sports/asu/articles/20130830asu-offensive-coordinator-mike-norvell-driven-best.html

Paul

November 08, 2017, 10:48:31 pm #86 Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 11:01:34 pm by Paul
Quote from: Matt Burks on November 08, 2017, 10:26:09 pm
Please rephrase, I don't quite understand your statement.
think i've deciphered this post.  He thinks that Fuente cane from Arizona St & didn't bring Norvell along but he brought Dickey with him who credits Norvell for Fuente's offense. Amirite? 
Actually Fuente came from TCU & never was on the same staff as Norvell as far as can tell

The Hawg Marshal

I'll always be a Razorback fan, but my second favorite team is going to be whoever Norvell is coaching. I just like the guy.

Paul

Quote from: RebHog on November 08, 2017, 10:17:38 pm
Umm what???...... the players "I" highlighted lol? I posted a link to a webpage that had the most current roster chart I could find. Then again even if I highlighted them that brings the grand total on offense and defense to 4. What is your definition for most cause we aren't on the same page there. I just started this thread to hopefully hear some good insight on why not just us but a lot are high on this guy. I would love to hear some good insight on why after 1.5 years into a mid tier job behind a coach that got the ball rolling why he would be the solution and for what reason...all im looking for!???
;
many of the current starters are first time starters due to graduation or injury. These are not all freshman.  Some may be juco( which Memphis relies on heavily).  Since they're 1st time Starters Fuente shouldn't get credit. Remember that Norvell's recruiting classes are higher than Fuente's & Norvell's mid-tier team is ranked in all polls including the Playoff Poll(pretty sure Fuente bever accomplishes this).

Dominicanhog

November 09, 2017, 04:43:29 am #89 Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 07:54:51 am by Dominicanhog
Quote from: ricepig on November 08, 2017, 12:01:41 pm
What if we get GRUDEN instead???

I know your kidding but others aren't ...The UT talk of Gruden is comical.. Watch any football and you'll see him doing every commercial there is.. all my brands Corona, Dunkin Donuts etc.. He has to be making a killing.....Still a fun name to throw around , but not enough money out there to ever bring him back... but, I guess you never know...

PharmacistHog

Quote from: tusked on November 08, 2017, 11:06:31 am
You know all the BB lovers need to get a room and stop trashing all the threads.

Look your guy is going down in flames in a historic manner.  You got nothing.  Take your nothing and go away.

I'd like you to point out all these Bielema lovers. Name them. I bet you can't.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: PharmacistHog on November 09, 2017, 04:51:02 am
I'd like you to point out all these Bielema lovers. Name them. I bet you can't.

Nobody is going to defend his results at this point,  but many can still defend the person and support the program at the same time..

clutch

Quote from: RebHog on November 08, 2017, 10:25:04 pm

Seems you are firmly against him, not just looking for insight on him. You wouldn't do the research on your own, yet doubt the information that others are giving you after you asked for it.

If you are wondering why Dickey didn't get to go to Va Tech, it is because he was only a Co-OC along with longtime friend of Fuente Brad Cornelsen. Fuente took Cornelsen with him because that's his guy. Same way Dickey was only Co-Oc during Norvell's first season at Memphis. Norvell brought his guy Chip Long with him from ASU. Long was hired away by Notre Dame.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Dominicanhog on November 09, 2017, 07:52:56 am
Nobody is going to defend his results at this point,  but many can still defend the person and support the program at the same time..

Good point.  I actually like Bret Bielema and would prefer that he win enough to make it worth keeping him around.  But, unfortunately, it ain't happening.  So it's time to cut bait and go get Norvell

prattville pig

man, that cornbread looks good!  Just imagine next fall, a big ole pot of home made soup and skillet of cornbread watching a Mike Norvell coached hog team playing.  Can't wait!
Life's too short to last long.

Paul

Quote from: clutch on November 09, 2017, 08:43:18 am
Seems you are firmly against him, not just looking for insight on him. You wouldn't do the research on your own, yet doubt the information that others are giving you after you asked for it.

If you are wondering why Dickey didn't get to go to Va Tech, it is because he was only a Co-OC along with longtime friend of Fuente Brad Cornelsen. Fuente took Cornelsen with him because that's his guy. Same way Dickey was only Co-Oc during Norvell's first season at Memphis. Norvell brought his guy Chip Long with him from ASU. Long was hired away by Notre Dame.
Chip Long is great.  Dickey is the RB coach now.

ipigsooie

The most important connection norvell has to Arkansas is the one between his agent and jeff long as they are working out the details of his contract. (I hope!)

clutch

Quote from: Paul on November 09, 2017, 10:19:41 am
  Chip Long is great.  Dickey is the RB coach now.

He's OC as well isn't he? He's listed as RB/OC

RebHog

Quote from: Paul on November 08, 2017, 10:48:31 pm
think i've deciphered this post.  He thinks that Fuente cane from Arizona St & didn't bring Norvell along but he brought Dickey with him who credits Norvell for Fuente's offense. Amirite? 
Actually Fuente came from TCU & never was on the same staff as Norvell as far as can tell

Wrong Sorry I was a lil sauced up but I took this "Fuente "stole a lot of ideas," according to Dickey, who also served as Fuente's offensive coordinator." as someone who was left behind by fuentes at memphis when he went to VT and may have sour grapes?

RebHog

Quote from: clutch on November 09, 2017, 08:43:18 am

Good info thanks!