Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Women kneeling....

Started by (notOM)Rebel123, November 03, 2016, 07:22:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rhames

Quote from: thefisher on November 03, 2016, 07:57:40 pm
I disagree.  In fact the owner of the Kansas City Chiefs said any coach, player, or employee of the Chiefs who pulled that would be fired upon the spot.

If bringing shame on the university is part of the code of conduct that must be adhered to in order to maintain their scholarship then the school can certainly enforce it.

However, even if a person rejected that idea then a coach can certainly require them to stay in the locker room until the anthem is over.  I think that gives to much manipulative power to an individual but some might choose that option.

I would like to see that quote

And not a "he said she said" quote . Do you have a link?

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

jlhogfan

Who cares; are they winning?

WaltKowalski

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 03, 2016, 07:58:09 pm
Bunch a dudes that prolly never watched or attended a lady backs basketball game.

Never have and never would. They still get money sent to the foundation no? I guess a I can vote with my wallet.

dhizzle

I'll never understand why kneeling during the national anthem will stop racial issues.

sickboy

Quote from: thefisher on November 03, 2016, 07:57:40 pm
I disagree.  In fact the owner of the Kansas City Chiefs said any coach, player, or employee of the Chiefs who pulled that would be fired on the spot.

If bringing shame on the university is part of the code of conduct that must be adhered to in order to maintain their scholarship then the school can certainly enforce it.

However, even if a person rejected that idea then a coach can certainly require them to stay in the locker room until the anthem is over.  I think that gives to much manipulative power to an individual but some might choose that option.

You realize that the Kansas City Chiefs are a private business with an owner who can choose to employ or fire who he wants, right?

The University of Arkansas is a PUBLIC institution. Who has an obligation to uphold basic constitutional rights for its student body. Rights that, at their most basic, include freedom of speech. Good luck winning that lawsuit. The one where you have to argue why a basketball team kneeling during the anthem is grounds for overriding their constitutional rights in order to uphold your Student Conduct Policy. 

Science Fiction Greg

If the coach comes out with a strong statement against this behavior and a note that it won't be tolerated, my support will remain.  Otherwise, I will never so much as look at another score of a women's basketball game.

And I have attended Lady Razorback basketball games for decades and in venues from one coast to the other before anyone bothers with that nonsense.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

jlhogfan

I wonder if CBB gets asked about it and what his response is going to be. If he says he supports the girls, are you all going to stop supporting the football team as well?

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: sickboy on November 03, 2016, 07:57:15 pm
Guys, I disagree with kneeling during the anthem too, in a philosophical sense. But this country is built on a foundation of free speech. When you start trying to control speech, you're going against everything this country was founded on and what our men and women of the military fight every day to preserve for us all. You can't punish these girls by revoking scholarships or benching them -- that's suppressing our most hallowed right as an American.

The irony is -- I'm sure you all consider yourself proud Americans. If you want to stand on that pilar of patriotism, then stand up for these girls and their right to voice their opinion, while taking a stance against their philosophies in a way that doesn't infringe on their most basic rights. If that means not supporting the Women's Basketball team... then do that. But don't say they should be punished for voicing their opinion. This isn't a third world country.

Why do you insist on infringing on the basic right of someone NOT to watch a basketball game? Do you not support basic rights of free speech? You should learn to appreciate diverse points of view.

SugarHillGaHog

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on November 03, 2016, 07:22:17 pm
Sorry, Jimmy....you just lost me as a fan.
Arkansas Women's Basketball Team Kneels During National Anthem
http://www.nwahomepage.com/news/breaking-news/arkansas-womens-basketball-team-kneels-during-national-anthem

I'm know I'm in the minority here but why even play it?  It's just a basketball game.  Same with NASCAR or any sports other than the Olympics and then it's only played after a podium finish.  If you don't want folks attention whoring don't give them the chance to do so.

Will I banned again?

a0ashle

Why is this board so politically correct all of sudden? Worried about offending people, it's not like you guys.

I support them 100%

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: jlhogfan on November 03, 2016, 08:10:18 pm
I wonder if CBB gets asked about it and what his response is going to be. If he says he supports the girls, are you all going to stop supporting the football team as well?

Absolutely.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.

sickboy

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on November 03, 2016, 08:13:01 pm
Why do you insist on infringing on the basic right of someone NOT to watch a basketball game? Do you not support basic rights of free speech? You should learn to appreciate diverse points of view.

What? I clearly said I support that as a means of protest. Did you read my post?

PorkRinds

Lots of folks swore of hog football when Jwill did the hands up don't shoot thing. They were back the next week.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 03, 2016, 08:15:38 pm
Lots of folks swore of hog football when Jwill did the hands up don't shoot thing. They were back the next week.

Not me.  And I don't care what other people do.  Call my bluff on this all you want.  Zero tolerance.

The Boar War

Women knelt during the national anthem before a college basketball game?

No I've seen the error of my great-great-grandfather's ways.

WaltKowalski

Quote from: jlhogfan on November 03, 2016, 08:10:18 pm

Yes. I am a vet, my two brothers are as well. My little brothers flag is hanging in a shadow box on my wall. He is buried under that flag.

Inhogswetrust

November 03, 2016, 08:18:32 pm #66 Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 08:38:50 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: rhames on November 03, 2016, 07:31:52 pm

And get sued?

I'm not a fan of this as much as anybody but there really isn't a lot anyone can do . It's their right to do whatever they want during the National Anthem 

If the anthem was played after the football team came out there would be players doing it too 

And it's the schools right to revoke an athletic scholarship for practically any reason. Coaches and athletic administrators can set rules that players don't like. Especially when wearing Hog provided uniforms and using the terms facilities. IF they had wanted to do it on the Old Main lawn while not in class, not in uniform and not while a part of the game activities while wearing their personal clothing  and not representing the school, department and team then fine let them protest however they like. I've seen a lot of protests happening on campus that I disagreed with over the years yet have no problem with it depending on when and where and the activity.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

a0ashle

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 03, 2016, 08:15:38 pm

You know kneeling is a sign of respect when praying and when someone is injured. So is it truly HOW they protest, or is it more WHO is protesting.

It's not like they were armed occupied a government building in Oregon.

98hogs

Disgraceful!  Lack of respect for our Country.  They get a free ride with our tax dollars.  Jimmy Dykes is done as far as i am concerned and no I haven't been to a Lady Backs game in years but I will never again until Dykes and Long are gone!

a0ashle

Quote from: 98hogs on November 03, 2016, 08:19:45 pm
Disgraceful!  Lack of respect for our Country.  They get a free ride with our tax dollars.  Jimmy Dykes is done as far as i am concerned and no I haven't been to a Lady Backs game in years but I will never again until Dykes and Long are gone!

Bye Felicia

thefisher

Quote from: sickboy on November 03, 2016, 08:03:11 pm
You realize that the Kansas City Chiefs are a private business with an owner who can choose to employ or fire who he wants, right?

The University of Arkansas is a PUBLIC institution. Who has an obligation to uphold basic constitutional rights for its student body. Rights that, at their most basic, include freedom of speech. Good luck winning that lawsuit. The one where you have to argue why a basketball team kneeling during the anthem is grounds for overriding their constitutional rights in order to uphold your Student Conduct Policy.

Yes.  I also have to admit I can't find a trustworthy verifiable report of it.  I originally heard about it from a source that is normally very reliable but now it seems in doubt.  The Chiefs absolutely did stand together with arms interlocked. However, that is not  the same thing as proving the story.

I will keep looking ....
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

98hogs

sickboy

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 03, 2016, 08:18:32 pm
And it's the schools right to revoke an athletic scholarship for practically any reason. Coaches and athletic administrators can set rules that players don't like.

No they can't. It's a public institution. You can't revoke a kid's scholarship for making a political protest. Especially one as benign as kneeling during the anthem.

a0ashle

"shiteing" on free speech that people died for, seems more disrespectful to the military and country then kneeling during the national anthem.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 03, 2016, 07:58:09 pm
Bunch a dudes that prolly never watched or attended a lady backs basketball game.
Quote from: Ben on November 03, 2016, 07:54:56 pm
.....The same ones against it are the same ones who don't even stand for the anthem when its being played on TV before a game at home.

PorkRinds...you are wrong. I attend women's basketball games, gymnastics, and softball games. I contribute to the Women's program because so few do.

And to Ben...you are wrong. I stand & sing every time the National Anthem is played. I am proud of my country and respect those who serve and protect my freedoms. Just because someone has a "right" to do something...doesn't make it right. Enjoy the freedoms you have...many died for for you to have them.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

grayhawg

Quote from: a0ashle on November 03, 2016, 08:19:00 pm
You know kneeling is a sign of respect when praying and when someone is injured. So is it truly HOW they protest, or is it more WHO is protesting.

It's not like they were armed occupied a government building in Oregon.
Bad analogy.

a0ashle

a0ashle

rhames

I'm pretty sure the razorback foundation and revenue from the athletic department pays for those not tax dollars.....

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: rhames on November 03, 2016, 08:24:38 pm

I'm pretty sure the razorback foundation and revenue from the athletic department pays for those not tax dollars.....

Next time you need the police...be sure and let them know that you support those who kneel in support of BLM. Okay?

grayhawg

Quote from: rhames on November 03, 2016, 08:24:38 pm

Your right and the foundation gets its money from us. The fans.

rhames

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on November 03, 2016, 08:26:08 pm
Next time you need the police...be sure and let them know that you support those who kneel in support of BLM. Okay?

When did I say that??

I was actually about to complement you and cheer you on an open dialogue but you seem to have let your emotions get involved

I never said I supported them in fact I said the opposite 

dhizzle

Did anyone watch the video? Old man behind them booed them. Someone gonna call racism in 3 2 1.

a0ashle

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on November 03, 2016, 08:26:08 pm

Why? Do you think they choose who they serve and protect?

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: rhames on November 03, 2016, 08:27:45 pm

When did I say that??

I was actually about to complement you and cheer you on an open dialogue but you seem to have let your emotions get involved

I never said I supported them in fact I said the opposite 

You have been arguing for them this entire thread....again, be sure and mention your support next time you dial 9-1-1.

rhames

Quote from: grayhawg on November 03, 2016, 08:27:01 pm
Your right and the foundation gets its money from us. The fans.

Exactly at no point have i ever said you should keep giving them your money

rhames

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on November 03, 2016, 08:28:36 pm
You have been arguing for the, this entire thread....

The point I was making clearly went over your head

MAL3

This won't put fans in the stands and will not be good for JD when he applies for the men's job in the next 5 years

a0ashle

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on November 03, 2016, 08:28:36 pm
You have been arguing for them this entire thread....again, be sure and mention your support next time you dial 9-1-1.

Do they only protect those who agree with them?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: sickboy on November 03, 2016, 08:22:08 pm
No they can't. It's a public institution. You can't revoke a kid's scholarship for making a political protest. Especially one as benign as kneeling during the anthem.

I've actually been a part of a protest on campus there. The school can do almost anything they want as a part of a team. I KNOW some former Hogs that lost their scholarships or were kicked off certain teams for things that were not athletic or academic related. There have been limits set by public schools on campuses across America as to when, where and what protests can occur. As far as "rights" go sometimes there is not a "right" to do something at a certain place, time, etc. For example as an adult I have a right to drink alcohol. That doesn't mean I can do it anytime anywhere and to any amount and not get into trouble. I have a right to bear arms but not in certain places. I have a right for artistic expression and free will to travel but I'd get arrested if walking down the interstate naked. I cannot interrupt a professors class just to protest although I have a right to free speech. I have a right to yell FIRE but not in a crowded building. I have a right to shoot someone else and kill them but not under any and all circumstances.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: MAL3 on November 03, 2016, 08:29:41 pm
This won't put fans in the stands and will not be good for JD when he applies for the men's job in the next 5 years

That is pretty much based on how well his record is after 5 years. This situation isn't going to be a reason someone doesn't hire him for a men's basketball program. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

PorkRinds

I don't think our Tax dollars fund the women's basketball program.

Hawgphish

What exactly are they protesting?  Please explain in specific terms what they are unhappy with.  I'll hang up and listen.

a0ashle

Quote from: Hawgphish on November 03, 2016, 08:31:58 pm
What exactly are they protesting?  Please explain in specific terms what they are unhappy with.  I'll hang up and listen.

Google, find it

Science Fiction Greg

Here's where I have the problem.  When you are in a Razorback uniform, you are representing the University of Arkansas at minimum, and, in reality, you are representing the whole state of Arkansas.  Your actions reflect not just on yourself.  The University has the right to control that representation.  If you want to protest something, you do that as an individual.  Not while you are in a University of Arkansas uniform in a University of Arkansas venue on the University of Arkansas campus being supported by University of Arkansas coaches, staff, fans, donors, and administration.

If the University of Arkansas allows it to happen while they are representing the University of Arkansas and the state, then it is the University of Arkansas disrespecting the flag, the country, and the sacrifice and bravery of our servicemen past, present, and future.

Which is fine, don't get me wrong.

But the University of Arkansas needs to make sure that they realize that that disrespect will cause a lot of fans to choose to no longer support their University based on that decision.

Which is also fine.  The University has the right to do that, and I have the right to withdraw my support based on that.

a0ashle

I need to know!! Are police selective in who they protect and serve? NotOMReb says they are!

grayhawg

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 03, 2016, 08:31:54 pm
I don't think our Tex dollars fund the women's basketball program.
Income Texes or sales Texes?

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: rhames on November 03, 2016, 08:29:24 pm

The point I was making clearly went over your head

No...It didn't.
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent." Edmund Burke

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: a0ashle on November 03, 2016, 08:34:17 pm
I need to know!! Are police selective in who they protect and serve? NotOMReb says they are!

Yes...see the ones who are refusing to serve on duty for some NFL teams who are kneeling.

oldbooniehog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWRJvl2TkNk

You have the right to free speech.

You also have the right to reap the consequences, both positive and negative, for your speech.