Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Women kneeling....

Started by (notOM)Rebel123, November 03, 2016, 07:22:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

a0ashle

we need guns to fight back our government if they over reach, but you better not kneel during the national anthem!

sickboy

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 03, 2016, 08:31:37 pm
I've actually been a part of a protest on campus there. The school can do almost anything they want as a part of a team. There have been limits set by public schools on campuses across America as to when, where and what protests can occur. As far as "rights" go sometimes there is not a "right" to do something at a certain place, time, etc. For example as an adult I have a right to drink alcohol. That doesn't mean I can do it anytime anywhere and to any amount and not get into trouble. I have a right to bear arms but not in certain places. I have a right for artistic expression and free will to travel but I'd get arrested if walking down the interstate naked.

In this country -- your freedom of speech is protected everywhere. There are guidelines for organizing protests in order to maintain safe public protest, there are no guidelines restricting what you can or cannot protest. And none of the hypotheticals you're highlighting have anything to do with the first amendment.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on November 03, 2016, 08:33:58 pm
Here's where I have the problem.  When you are in a Razorback uniform, you are representing the University of Arkansas at minimum, and, in reality, you are representing the whole state of Arkansas.  Your actions reflect not just on yourself.  The University has the right to control that representation.  If you want to protest something, you do that as an individual.  Not while you are in a University of Arkansas uniform in a University of Arkansas venue on the University of Arkansas campus being supported by University of Arkansas coaches, staff, fans, donors, and administration.

If the University of Arkansas allows it to happen while they are representing the University of Arkansas and the state, then it is the University of Arkansas disrespecting the flag, the country, and the sacrifice and bravery of our servicemen past, present, and future.

Which is fine, don't get me wrong.

But the University of Arkansas needs to make sure that they realize that that disrespect will cause a lot of fans to choose to no longer support their University based on that decision.

Which is also fine.  The University has the right to do that, and I have the right to withdraw my support based on that.

If you're willing to support the implosion of the athletic program based on your PC ideas about right and wrong go for it. The university is allowing free speech. The same free speech those same people fought and died for.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: oldbooniehog on November 03, 2016, 08:35:51 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWRJvl2TkNk

You have the right to free speech.

You also have the right to reap the consequences, both positive and negative, for your speech.

Truer words were never spoken....
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Hawgphish

Quote from: a0ashle on November 03, 2016, 08:32:58 pm
Google, find it
I don't need to Google it.  I am interested in reading what the Hogville nation defines the protest as.

sickboy

Quote from: a0ashle on November 03, 2016, 08:34:17 pm
I need to know!! Are police selective in who they protect and serve? NotOMReb says they are!

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on November 03, 2016, 08:26:08 pm
Next time you need the police...be sure and let them know that you support those who kneel in support of BLM. Okay?

My uncle's a cop and he fights every day to keep people safe so that they have the opportunity to exercise their rights as an American citizen. He doesn't care about politics -- he cares about keeping people safe from harm.

a0ashle

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on November 03, 2016, 08:35:26 pm
Yes...see the ones who are refusing to serve on duty for some NFL teams who are kneeling.

Well you just figured out what BLM is all about, unequal protection under the law.

futurehogdad

Quote from: jlhogfan on November 03, 2016, 08:10:18 pm
I wonder if CBB gets asked about it and what his response is going to be. If he says he supports the girls, are you all going to stop supporting the football team as well?
It doesn't matter what CBB thinks about it now. The moment he comments/picks a side he has lost about 1/2 the support from the other side.

Arkansas's team will now be devided along racial lines and it just got 10 times harder to recruit to Fayetteville.

a0ashle

Quote from: Hawgphish on November 03, 2016, 08:37:48 pm
I don't need to Google it.  I am interested in reading what the Hogville nation defines the protest as.

You need your hand held so you?

oldbooniehog

Quote from: sickboy on November 03, 2016, 08:36:37 pm
In this country -- your freedom of speech is protected everywhere. There are guidelines for organizing protests in order to maintain safe public protest, there are no guidelines restricting what you can or cannot protest. And none of the hypotheticals you're highlighting have anything to do with the first amendment.

Actually, it's not.

Speech is protected only in public spaces.

Private entities most certainly can control what speech happens on private property.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 03, 2016, 08:36:50 pm
If you're willing to support the implosion of the athletic program based on your PC ideas about right and wrong go for it. The university is allowing free speech. The same free speech those same people fought and died for.

The University can "allow free speech" all they want when the individuals doing the speaking aren't representing the University in a public venue supported by University people and dollars.  When they allow it in that situation, they are agreeing to be represented by it.  And I will not support a University that agrees with that type of disrespect.  I also don't care whether or not you or anyone else likes it.

But I can promise you I won't be the only one.  Not by a long shot.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

a0ashle

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on November 03, 2016, 08:40:20 pm
The University can "allow free speech" all they want when the individuals doing the speaking aren't representing the University in a public venue supported by University people and dollars.  When they allow it in that situation, they are agreeing to be represented by it.  And I will not support a University that agrees with that type of disrespect.  I also don't care whether or not you or anyone else likes it.

The point of protesting in this manner is getting attention to subject at hand. The protesters thank you for your part.

hogman99

Quote from: verticalhog on November 03, 2016, 07:37:15 pm
It will be interesting to hear what Dykes says about this.

He won't do anything.  However, if I'm a recruits parent I would ask him "How can my daughter Be Arkansas when your own team doesn't respect the flag of the country it is in?" Dykes ain't got no answer to that and they are about to really suck playing in front of 100 people. That includes the score keepers and cheerleaders.

oldbooniehog

Quote from: a0ashle on November 03, 2016, 08:43:48 pm
The point of protesting in this manner is getting attention to subject at hand. The protesters thank you for your part.

Only I don't think the protestors are going to enjoy the type of attention they will most certainly earn in this case.

grayhawg

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 03, 2016, 08:36:50 pm
Yes and we are responsible for what we say. If anyone is to be responsible for the implosion of the athletic program it is the protesters actions not the fans.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on November 03, 2016, 08:40:20 pm

Cool. We will keep calling the hogs and y'all find a new team. Easy peasy. And it looks like it was only six of the players.  Gonna punish the ones that didn't kneel with their teammates too? I think it's smarter to maybe not be supportive of those players or disagree with their actions. But I'm a hog fan no matter what political statements the players make.  No one, or six, people can take my love of the hogs away to the point where I won't support the university.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: a0ashle on November 03, 2016, 08:43:48 pm

I am (potentially) taking my attention completely away from them and am doing nothing to do gain them more attention.  You are confusesd.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.

hawkhawg

Quote from: thefisher on November 03, 2016, 07:57:40 pm
I disagree.  In fact the owner of the Kansas City Chiefs said any coach, player, or employee of the Chiefs who pulled that would be fired on the spot.

I would never kneel during the national anthem but i think they have the right to protest. Just like I have the right to not support something I don't agree with.

I guarantee you if Marcus peters and Eric berry decided to kneel during the national anthem the owner would change his tune.

3Scoreand10

So these women come to the UofA for a free education so they can have a better life and then thank those who support them and pay for their education by  acting stupid.
May God help us when this generation takes charge of this country.

razorbrass

Well does anyone know the real reason they are kneeling?  They kneel to show respect to the flag and service men and women but don't stand because they can't honor our National Anthem that takes delight in the killing of slaves (third verse I believe).  I am not black but I think I am at least empathetic enough to understand how they feel.  This may seem like a trivial protest to you but then you probably don't get racially profiled either.  This country was founded on peaceful protest  and I would go a step further that none of the changes (for the better I might add) this country has gone through have taken place without some form of peaceful protest (voting rights, integration, etc.).  If you are going to protest the use of  offensive slave references in the National Anthem you pretty much have to do it ...DURING the National Anthem.  It doesn't help that having the first black president has exposed latent racist feelings in many who grew up during a time when racism was acceptable and now we have a candidate for president who has made it fashionable to bash anyone different than you.  Rather than criticize these young women it might be to the everyones' benefit if we could be a little more understanding of each other and try to strive to exemplify our countries motto - e pluribus unum - out of many, one.  Or we could continue to be ignorant and denigrate those who are different than us and divide the country more and do the terrorists work for them.
Ladies and Gentlemen can I please have your attention.  I've just been handed an urgent and horrifying news story and I need all of you to stop what you are doing and listen!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: sickboy on November 03, 2016, 08:36:37 pm

No it isn't under any all all circumstances and any place, type or time. As I've said before I have no problem with what they are protesting only the time and place.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

a0ashle

Quote from: hogz11 on November 03, 2016, 08:45:59 pm
Any attention is what they are seeking.

I am sure they love all the white folks being angry at them. But on the other hand, it's not much of a protest if it were easy.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 03, 2016, 08:45:38 pm
Cool. We will keep calling the hogs and y'all find a new team. Easy peasy. And it looks like it was only six of the players.  Gonna punish the ones that didn't kneel with their teammates too? I think it's smarter to maybe not be supportive of those players or disagree with their actions. But I'm a hog fan no matter what political statements the players make.  No one, or six, people can take my love of the hogs away to the point where I won't support the university.

Yes, that's fine.  As I said, I'm not really concerned what others do.

And no, I'm not punishing anyone.  I'm just (potentially) withdrawing my support.  If those "six players" were on their own doing this and not representing the University of Arkansas, that's exactly what I would do: limit it to just them.  Unfortunately, their actions mean more when they are in that uniform, so here we are.

And people that disrespect the flag, country, and sacrifice of servicemen absolutely will make me stop supporting them.  You and I are different.  And that's fine.

a0ashle

Quote from: razorbrass on November 03, 2016, 08:47:12 pm
Well does anyone know the real reason they are kneeling?  They kneel to show respect to the flag and service men and women but don't stand because they can't honor our National Anthem that takes delight in the killing of slaves (third verse I believe).  I am not black but I think I am at least empathetic enough to understand how they feel.  This may seem like a trivial protest to you but then you probably don't get racially profiled either.  This country was founded on peaceful protest  and I would go a step further that none of the changes (for the better I might add) this country has gone through have taken place without some form of peaceful protest (voting rights, integration, etc.).  If you are going to protest the use of  offensive slave references in the National Anthem you pretty much have to do it ...DURING the National Anthem.  It doesn't help that having the first black president has exposed latent racist feelings in many who grew up during a time when racism was acceptable and now we have a candidate for president who has made it fashionable to bash anyone different than you.  Rather than criticize these young women it might be to the everyones' benefit if we could be a little more understanding of each other and try to strive to exemplify our countries motto - e pluribus unum - out of many, one.  Or we could continue to be ignorant and denigrate those who are different than us and divide the country more and do the terrorists work for them.

+1 best post by far

oldbooniehog

Missouri protestors really did a bang up job getting attention.

Hiring freezes and budget cuts due to sharp drop in enrollments at Mizzou.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/education/turmoil_at_mu/university-of-missouri-enrollment-and-budget-picture-grim-for-fall/article_b1641e8c-d285-5118-9d0d-347ca50a413b.html

Interestingly enough, all the other schools in Missouri, except Mizzou, saw increases in enrollment.

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2016/08/29/enrollment-up-at-other-missouri-universities-as-mu-drops/

But hey, they got attention, didn't they?

Science Fiction Greg

November 03, 2016, 08:49:07 pm #125 Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 11:50:44 pm by Possible Oatmeal
Quote from: a0ashle on November 03, 2016, 08:47:41 pm
I am sure they love all the white folks being angry at them. But on the other hand, it's not much of a protest if it were easy.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: 3Scoreand10 on November 03, 2016, 08:46:39 pm
So these women come to the UofA for a free education so they can have a better life and then thank those who support them and pay for their education by  acting stupid.
May God help us when this generation takes charge of this country.

Just like my generation and others they will out grow it and grow out of it. If people think protests today are really bad they should have been around in the 60's.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

WaltKowalski

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 03, 2016, 08:45:38 pm

Yeah but you are a pretty far left guy

PorkRinds

Quote from: oldbooniehog on November 03, 2016, 08:48:43 pm
Missouri protestors really did a bang up job getting attention.

Hiring freezes and budget cuts due to sharp drop in enrollments at Mizzou.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/education/turmoil_at_mu/university-of-missouri-enrollment-and-budget-picture-grim-for-fall/article_b1641e8c-d285-5118-9d0d-347ca50a413b.html

Interestingly enough, all the other schools in Missouri, except Mizzou, saw increases in enrollment.

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2016/08/29/enrollment-up-at-other-missouri-universities-as-mu-drops/

But hey, they got attention, didn't they?

So y'all wanna do this to UofA now since the women's basketball team made a political statement? Sorry I don't want to see that happen to my school.

PorkRinds

Quote from: WaltKowalski on November 03, 2016, 08:50:19 pm
Yeah but you are a pretty far left guy

Depends on who you ask.  Socially liberal fiscally conservative.  It is what it is.  Says more about my love for the university than any politics opinion though.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 03, 2016, 08:51:31 pm
So y'all wanna do this to UofA now since the women's basketball team made a political statement? Sorry I don't want to see that happen to my school.

I don't either.  That's why they should stop student athletes from being disrespectful while in uniform and encourage them to do so when they are representing only themselves.  By allowing it in uniform, they are bringing the whole situation on themselves.

a0ashle

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on November 03, 2016, 08:49:07 pm
I am far from white, for the record.

I didn't say ONLY white folks are mad at them.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on November 03, 2016, 08:52:57 pm
I don't either.  That's why they should stop student athletes from being disrespectful while in uniform and encourage them to do so when they are representing only themselves.  By allowing it in uniform, they are bringing the whole situation on themselves.

Right. So unless the university silences them to placate your political correctness you'll still be a fan. It's fine if you believe that way, I just don't. 

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: a0ashle on November 03, 2016, 08:53:29 pm

I didn't say you did.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: oldbooniehog on November 03, 2016, 08:39:28 pm

Actually, it's not.

Speech is protected only in public spaces.

Private entities most certainly can control what speech happens on private property.

Public entities can also depending on when, where, etc.

oldbooniehog

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 03, 2016, 08:51:31 pm

PorkRinds, "we" won't have to.

Why did Mizzou see enrollment drops?

Was it because of miffed fans?

Or because parents saw that stuff going on and then told Sonny Jim and Susie Q, "Hell no, I'm not paying for you to go there!"

Or how many students themselves decided to simply not go to Mizzou?

futurehogdad

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on November 03, 2016, 08:52:57 pm

A student athlete never represents themselves alone. Try going out to a bar on your own time get arrested and see what a coach says.

PorkRinds

Quote from: oldbooniehog on November 03, 2016, 08:55:01 pm

Or because parents saw that stuff going on and then told Sonny Jim and Susie Q, "Hell no, I'm not paying for you to go there!"

It was because the university was mired in controversy. I'm sure there are multiple dimensions to why their enrollment went down.

hogman99whw

Just keep their butts in the locker room until the anthem has been played, just like they do the football team at DWR stadium.

hogcard1964

Quote from: rhames on November 03, 2016, 07:45:41 pm
They have every right the constitution provides them while wearing whatever clothing 

Their actions isn't causing  harm to anyone . Like I said  look at what happened at mizziou last year .  That really set the tone for this whole thing .

They have a right to do it just as much as you have a right to get mad

No, they represent the school. They can be removed for any number of reasons.  I'm sure conduct would be first and foremost.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hogman99whw on November 03, 2016, 08:56:45 pm
Just keep their butts in the locker room until the anthem has been played, just like they do the football team at DWR stadium.

Sounds like a good option.

grayhawg

Quote from: a0ashle on November 03, 2016, 08:53:29 pm
Not necessarily mad at them for protesting, more like disappointed of when and where they protest. At that game with a Razorback uniform on they represent Arkansas not just themselves.

a0ashle

Quote from: hogcard1964 on November 03, 2016, 08:56:52 pm
No, they represent the school. They can be removed for any number of reasons.  I'm sure conduct would be first and foremost.

They can likely be removed, they understood the risks and the likely backlash... that should tell how important what they are kneeling for is.

AirWarren

Hope they lose every game.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: razorbrass on November 03, 2016, 08:47:12 pm

i do not trivialize their protest. I commend them for their willingness to take a stance on something they obviously believe strongly in. I only have an issue with when and where and while representing something else above their own individuality.

razorbrass

Quote from: oldbooniehog on November 03, 2016, 08:55:01 pm

What do you suppose was the demographic of those who went elsewhere?  Do you suppose they lost a lot of white students or was there a large drop in minorities?  I don't know but would be an interesting stat. 
Ladies and Gentlemen can I please have your attention.  I've just been handed an urgent and horrifying news story and I need all of you to stop what you are doing and listen!

oldbooniehog

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 03, 2016, 08:54:29 pm
Right. So unless the university silences them to placate your political correctness you'll still be a fan. It's fine if you believe that way, I just don't.

No, the University would not be "silencing them."  Merely not allowing them to do their protests while representing the whole University.  The University would not be stopping them from doing their little rebellion on their own terms.  It's not fair to the University to allow the individuals to piggy back on the University's exposure, money, support, venue, audience, etc. and say things that the University does not agree with while representing them.

PorkRinds

I've heard that over 90% of the people there were outraged. All 9 of them talked about leaving but decided they needed the rest before they walked back to the car.

razorbrass

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 03, 2016, 08:59:10 pm
i do not trivialize their protest. I commend them for their willingness to take a stance on something they obviously believe strongly in. I only have an issue with when and where and while representing something else above their own individuality.
I'm not a big fan of it either but where would you suggest they make that protest?  The whole point of a peaceful protest is to gain attention.  I would say they have been successful in that regard.