Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tough Love

Started by azhog10, April 01, 2014, 11:34:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

azhog10

Here's an article where Geno comments on the Dykes hire. Not very welcoming comments by the WBCA......

http://snyuconn.com/uconn/auriemma-reacts-to-arkansas-coaching-hire/

Dwight_K_Shrute

Gina and the other womyn need to get over it.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Inhogswetrust

Actually Gino and Jimmy have something in common. In college they were assistant coaches only and had never been a college head coach before getting their first college head coaching job at their current employer..........................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

psycHOGlogist

Geno is a) a jerk, generally, and b) in a tough position about this. He's a full-fledged member of the women's coaching fraternity at this point, but he is a guy in a sport that a lot of people think should be more dominated than it is by women. If he were to come out and say, "Sure, awesome, the more the merrier. Jimmy's gonna be great," he would earn the resentment of hundreds of people with whom he's spent decades ingratiating himself. And since he regularly beats the crap out of them, they will jump on him at the first presumed sign of betrayal.

Heck, even Blair's comments are lukewarm. "They will take care of him; he's an Arkansas guy." Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

This hire is a big middle finger to the coaching establishment. And these comments are the coaching establishment giving it right back.

I just want to see the product on the floor and the recruiting trail.

azhog10

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 01, 2014, 01:54:45 pm
Actually Gino and Jimmy have something in common. In college they were assistant coaches only and had never been a college head coach before getting their first college head coaching job at their current employer..........................................
I was thinking the same thing. I thought it was kinda funny that he said what he did. Apparently to be a coach you can't have taken time off in between jobs. I agree 15 years is a long time, but it's not like he was out selling newspapers or something.

azhog10

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 01, 2014, 02:47:39 pm
Geno is a) a jerk, generally, and b) in a tough position about this. He's a full-fledged member of the women's coaching fraternity at this point, but he is a guy in a sport that a lot of people think should be more dominated than it is by women. If he were to come out and say, "Sure, awesome, the more the merrier. Jimmy's gonna be great," he would earn the resentment of hundreds of people with whom he's spent decades ingratiating himself. And since he regularly beats the crap out of them, they will jump on him at the first presumed sign of betrayal.

Heck, even Blair's comments are lukewarm. "They will take care of him; he's an Arkansas guy." Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

This hire is a big middle finger to the coaching establishment. And these comments are the coaching establishment giving it right back.

I just want to see the product on the floor and the recruiting trail.
I didn't take Blair's comments like that. I took them more as him taking shots at the University for the way he was treated by the University. I hope Jimmy Dykes does well and shuts some people up.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: azhog10 on April 01, 2014, 02:57:51 pm
I didn't take Blair's comments like that. I took them more as him taking shots at the University for the way he was treated by the University. I hope Jimmy Dykes does well and shuts some people up.

I think we're both right. And I hope he succeeds, too. Lots of mixed feelings about the hire, but the potential for a big upside is very real, imo.

hoglady

It really doesn't matter what Geno or Blair or anyone else in the coaching community think about the hire.
It will and does matter if the women's high school coaches and AAU coaches share those same negative feelings. They are the ones that matter. They are the ones that have the influence over recruits. Dykes need to work hard to gain their trust and win them over.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Mike Irwin

Geno's right when he says he doesn't know much about the University of Arkansas. He implies that women's basketball was good at Arkansas but went downhill after the move to the SEC.

Actually their best seasons came under Blair in the SEC.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Do most read the article when posted by an OP?  Or do most just simply respond to the OP's comments and to whatever is posted underneath?  I ask this, because in no way would Geno's comments be posted as "negative."  He's curious.  We're all curious.  It's an interesting hire for sure. What else can be said?

Further, the WBCA comments are interesting, too.  The first line essentially says, "Wow Arkansas, you skipped over some pretty qualified coaches to hire a celebrity."  Truth. 

But the next two paragraphs discuss how Arkansas is responding to a study and report published discussing how to improve the sport.  And further, how the WBCA looks forward to engaging JD. 

I think there is a feeling of cautious intrigue in the world of women's basketball. 

psycHOGlogist

Not really. "They" --meaning the coaching establishment -- are upset. If you read the writing/tweets of non-ESPN folks who cover WBB, for example recruiting service personnel like Blue Star Report, it's very clear: Hiring Dykes undercuts the "coaching development" framework that the WBCA sell at their conferences. We have hired an "outsider."  That's not cool. Some folks may be intrigued, but make no mistake - the coaching establishment would love to see Dykes fall on his butt.

Personally, I don't typically have a lot of use for "establishments" like the WBCA, who pretend to be concerned with the integrity of their sport, but really are more worried about protecting their brand and bottom line.

jabberjawls

Honestly, I could not care less about what any outsider says about the hires made by the UofA.  That being said, I don't know what to make of the hire, myself.

Dr. Starcs

^^^^

But you want to bash anybody that supports it????

Makes sense to me.

yraciv

What is more of a joke the hiring of Tyler Summitt or Jimmy Dykes? Of course the WCBA is going to be pissed because we probably passed over some viable candidates, current head coaches, but that happens rather often in women's basketball.  Maybe not on the level of someone who hasn't coached in 23 years, but I've seen lots of former WNBA players be handed jobs without any coaching experience.  And then of course in the case of Tyler Summitt, do you really think he got that on the merit of his 2 years as an assistant and AAU coaching success?

Kevin

hiring a 23 year old to be head coach spits in the face of women's basketball, just has much as hiring a guy out of the broadcast boot, who has never been a head coach, or coached women.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jabberjawls

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on April 03, 2014, 06:50:09 pm
^^^^

But you want to bash anybody that supports it????

Makes sense to me.

You are really something.  Please tell me who I bashed for supporting this hire.  Either cite a post where I bashed someone for supporting this hire or shut up.  You don't do anything but get on here and say things that are not true and stir up trouble.

ifghog

I think this is a big chance with CJD but.....it could also be a homerun. This will change the way coaches may be hired if...and only if...Jimmy is successful.

Dr. Starcs

Yeah, this wasnt bashing at all. Lol

Jabberjawls. And I quote "You don't have a clue who "gave a second thought to women's basketball."  You need to shut up and go back under a rock.   But since you're talking about things that are funny,  I think its funny how all these people continue to sing the praises of Jeff Long when our entire athletic program is the worst its ever been and JL is demanding raises."

jabberjawls

Again, you cannot cite any instance of me bashing anyone FOR THE HIRING OF JIMMY DYKES.  You're the trouble maker, so sit down and shut up.

LOL!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on April 04, 2014, 01:25:11 pm
Yeah, this wasnt bashing at all. Lol

Jabberjawls. And I quote "You don't have a clue who "gave a second thought to women's basketball."  You need to shut up and go back under a rock.   But since you're talking about things that are funny,  I think its funny how all these people continue to sing the praises of Jeff Long when our entire athletic program is the worst its ever been and JL is demanding raises."

You might want to look at the Directors Cup standings before saying the ENTIRE athletic department is the worst it's ever been. Last I checked we were ranked #29 with only 4 SEC teams ahead of us.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jabberjawls

Oh, I forgot, we are good at tiddly winks.  my bad!

Razorbax

In all fairness, it is 29th because of Track and Field....With the state of all the other sports (maybe we get some points in Gymnastics and Golf), expect a free fall in the rankings. Bragging about being  29th now is equivalent to someone bragging about being up 7-0 against South Carolina last year.....
Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 11, 2014, 02:05:27 pm
You might want to look at the Directors Cup standings before saying the ENTIRE athletic department is the worst it's ever been. Last I checked we were ranked #29 with only 4 SEC teams ahead of us.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: yraciv on April 03, 2014, 07:09:06 pm
What is more of a joke the hiring of Tyler Summitt or Jimmy Dykes? Of course the WCBA is going to be pissed because we probably passed over some viable candidates, current head coaches, but that happens rather often in women's basketball.  Maybe not on the level of someone who hasn't coached in 23 years, but I've seen lots of former WNBA players be handed jobs without any coaching experience.  And then of course in the case of Tyler Summitt, do you really think he got that on the merit of his 2 years as an assistant and AAU coaching success?

Exactly.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber