Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jimmy Dykes head women's bball coach

Started by bulldog04, March 30, 2014, 10:05:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 30, 2014, 12:29:19 pm
Have you ordered season tickets?

This hire is getting a little play today. But can somebody who has never been a head coach and hasn't coached at all in many years win games in the SEC?

Also, would anybody be OK if a person with a similar resume was hired for football?

He can't do much worse than his predecessor, what 3 or 4 games a year?

Marshfieldhog

It's women basketball, you can afford to role the dice. I'm ok with it. That being said Jeff Long needs to leave.

lechon

He has done well with young lady talent in the past - check wifey.
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Sir Winston Churchill                                                                                  
There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true. -  Sir Winston Churchill

chitwnhog

Quote from: Pickwick Hog on March 30, 2014, 11:28:55 am
Yep. I like the hire and fully expect most of Hogville to poo-poo it. If Long hired Kim Mulkey the brainiacs here would claim she is too short to coach on this level.

I sadly agree with you. I am convinced that there is a faction on this board that jumps at any chance to be negative and "poo-poo" anything that happens just so they can later say "I tole you so!" It gets very annoying.                                                                                                 

I for one like to take a wait and see approach and look at this hire as a positive on it's surface. Dykes brings a large amount of experience with him as a player and a coach. He also brings huge name recognition that will hopefully help with recruiting.  Will this translate to wins and championships for the Women's Basketball Team? Time will tell.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: Hawgphish on March 30, 2014, 10:28:37 am
ESPN is infamous for paying their people low and working them hard. 

Which is easy for them to do, because it's a job with high self-esteem. (They get to tell themselves every morning: "I'm an ESPN announcer!")

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on March 30, 2014, 11:58:55 am
Actually the thread in JB was started at 10:14, this one at 10:05, so......

I got a text about it before 10 and went to jump ball first so I didn't see this one. My bad. Carry on.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on March 30, 2014, 01:30:35 pm
Which is easy for them to do, because it's a job with high self-esteem. (They get to tell themselves every morning: "I'm an ESPN announcer!")

Which might mean more to a fan than it does to them.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hawgon

I care so little about women's basketball that I can look at this fairly dispassionately.  This is not the hire that a program serious about women's basketball would make.  This hire is an absolute joke.  Do we have women's basketball boosters?  If we do, they should be absolutely livid.  We are in the best women's basketball conference we have as much money as anyone and our facilities are first rate.  This hire is absolutely beneath us.

This is like when UCA hired Corliss, only worse, because we are at a much higher level.  There are assistants at top flight women's programs who would have jumped at the chance to come to Arkansas.  There are credible head coaches at lower levels who would have jumped at the chance.  And we hire a guy with no women's coaching experience at all, who's last coaching experience of any kind was 23 years ago, and who is currently employed by ESPN as an analyst? 

Honestly, this is simply laughable.

HF#1

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 30, 2014, 10:30:10 am
we could have done much better

Yes, because our program has been doing so well.  Getting rid of Blair was almost as damaging as firing Nolan was.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hawgon on March 30, 2014, 01:39:24 pm
I care so little about women's basketball that I can look at this fairly dispassionately.  This is not the hire that a program serious about women's basketball would make.  This hire is an absolute joke.  Do we have women's basketball boosters?  If we do, they should be absolutely livid.  We are in the best women's basketball conference we have as much money as anyone and our facilities are first rate.  This hire is absolutely beneath us.

This is like when UCA hired Corliss, only worse, because we are at a much higher level.  There are assistants at top flight women's programs who would have jumped at the chance to come to Arkansas.  There are credible head coaches at lower levels who would have jumped at the chance.  And we hire a guy with no women's coaching experience at all, who's last coaching experience of any kind was 23 years ago, and who is currently employed by ESPN as an analyst? 

Honestly, this is simply laughable.

Don't look now but your dispassionate post looks fairly passionate.

Hou-Hog

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 30, 2014, 11:27:17 am
Jimmy hasn't coached in 23 years . let's just hope he can find the best assistants to help, He has been around some of the best coaches so maybe he can find the good ones
You act as though he has been away from the game.  I understand that there is a difference in calling the game and coaching it, but this is a great hire.  National attention which would not have been received even if we hired a proven coach.

Hawgon

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 30, 2014, 01:49:57 pm
Don't look now but your dispassionate post looks fairly passionate.

No, you mistake reason for actually caring.  It is a joke.  You don't make that kind of hire if you care about winning.  Obviously, Jeff Long is not serious about women's basketball.  Fine by me.  I don't care either. 

The over/under on Jimmy being back in the booth should be set at four years.

Hogeration

Quote from: Hawgey-Davidson on March 30, 2014, 11:19:56 am
Sit back and think about this hire. If you think Jimmy cant teach and coach this game of basketball you've been living under a rock. I'm not a big fan of womens basketball but am a fan of all things Razorbacks. IMHO this is a great hire for the womens program. Out of the blue hire again for Jeff Long. Makes perfect sense to me. Not only will this energize our womens BB program but a less than casual fan base towards Ladyback basketball. Jimmy will win here and win big. Just my 2 cents. What say you?

Agree.  People tend to underestimate the importance of traveling around to different teams and watching practice and games.  His behind the scenes look at basketball programs across the country will pay off in huge dividends.  Just wonder if his connections with ESPN will assist us in getting favorable exposure on the SEC network.

LRRandy

Quote from: Fatty McGee on March 30, 2014, 10:32:51 am
Can hiring an arky who loves the helmet and has limited coaching experience but a rah rah attitude ever be a bad decision?  In the most powerful conference?
this isn't a football hire. The toughest conference thing doesn't quit shift to womens bb, and  it sure isn't the toughest conference in men's bb.
This is fun, isn't it.

LZH

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 30, 2014, 01:35:08 pm
I got a text about it before 10 and went to jump ball first so I didn't see this one. My bad. Carry on.

Well Dykes called me at 9:00 and asked if it was OK to take the job.

sickboy

ricepig

Quote from: LedZepHog on March 30, 2014, 02:12:53 pm
Well Dykes called me at 9:00 and asked if it was OK to take the job.

That was last night, correct??

Fatty McGee

Quote from: LRRandy on March 30, 2014, 02:08:45 pm
this isn't a football hire. The toughest conference thing doesn't quit shift to womens bb, and  it sure isn't the toughest conference in men's bb.

Is there a tougher conference in women's basketball? 
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

LZH

redeye

I'm surprised women's basketball generates this much interest, but Dykes will probably do great.

Theolesnort

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 30, 2014, 11:30:42 am
It's a totally different sport. Ask Nolan.

There's no way anybody can know if Dykes can pull this off. Not even him. To me it's a real shot in the dark.

What kind of a recruiter will he be? Does the ESPN connection help him recruit?

One thing he's got working in his favor, he doesn't have to do a total rebuilding job. There is some talent on that team. Also it would hard to do any worse than Collen. So there's that.
Mike as we both know he is a really intelligent man and he can charm the socks off of most people so I am pretty sure he can recruit. He knows the game of basketball and he has a ton of connections in the game so I would say if Long supports him financially he will hire a very top notch staff. I see a lot more pros than cons with this hire. Jimmy is smart and meticulous in how he has plotted his course up until now. I think this is just another goal in his course. He knows what he is doing. It is hard to get me interested in lady sports but this connects with me and I am sure others just like me.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Rocket23

Word is he is going to get the support of a top notch set of assistants, so that should satisfy my recruiting questions as it is the assistants who get out and really beat the bushes.

I am concerned about his lack of HC experience.  You can know basketball, but in-game decisions and game management are different on the bench and the broadcasting seat. 

One big plus is his enthusiasm for the game and for Arkansas.  It is imperative that we have a promoter of women's basketball in the same vein as Gary Blair.

I hope Dykes does well, but the jury is out.  Next season will be a good indicator of his ability as the cupboard is not bare.

LadybackBBFan

All interesting comments.  Definitely intriguing.  We have to support this hire and give him a chance.  I think we will know if one year!  With returning talent, one year is all I would give him and Long.  He should at least get support from Long which Collen did not.

FaytownHog

Quote from: redeye on March 30, 2014, 03:18:13 pm
I'm surprised women's basketball generates this much interest, but Dykes will probably do great.
Exactly. That's why this is a GREAT hire! No one ACTUALLY cares about women's basketball. It's gonna lose money even if we're undefeated and win the national championship. But yet, here we are....talking about it, because of this hire. Borderline genius!

Mike Irwin

Dykes has the right personality to be a women's coach. Not a cusser, more of a motivator.

The man defense and motion offense he likes is common in women's hoops.

However, if Jeff Long had fired Mike Anderson and hired Jimmy Dykes what would have been the reaction?

I suspect Hog fans would be going nuts at the notion that a guy who hasn't coached in 23 years and has never been a head coach could suddenly step in and lead the men's team.

So why the overwhelmingly positive reaction to Dykes being named the women's coach? I can think of a few reasons.

1. The average fan thinks the women's game is not that difficult to coach.
2. If Dykes doesn't succeed what is lost because Arkansas is near the bottom of the SEC anyway.
3. Like the Sara Lee commercial, nobody doesn't like Jimmy Dykes (except Kentucky fans.)

Porked Tongue

4. The overall care factor for the sport is minimal.

Mike Irwin

TrueBlue

6. Arkansas Women's hoops has had more PR today on ESPN/and social outlets than the last 20 years combined?

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: TrueBlue on March 30, 2014, 04:59:31 pm
6. Arkansas Women's hoops has had more PR today on ESPN/and social outlets than the last 20 years combined?

I was going to follow on with one, but this pretty much covers mine.

I'll expand it to say that with the talent on the team now - which isn't all that bad - we only need to add a couple of quality recruits to be competitive.  And Dyke's profile from being on ESPN games the last decade - all current recruits cannot remember a time he wasn't coming into their house via ESPN - will open doors a program like Arkansas has never been able to get into.  Not all of them, by a long shot.

But you only need a few.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on March 30, 2014, 05:07:43 pm
I was going to follow on with one, but this pretty much covers mine.

I'll expand it to say that with the talent on the team now - which isn't all that bad - we only need to add a couple of quality recruits to be competitive.  And Dyke's profile from being on ESPN games the last decade - all current recruits cannot remember a time he wasn't coming into their house via ESPN - will open doors a program like Arkansas has never been able to get into.  Not all of them, by a long shot.

But you only need a few.
I think we are entering unknown territory. I'm not sure anything like this has ever been done before.
I don't know enough about women's college basketball to know if this is a goofy idea or a great one. All I know is if you hired a women to coach the Razorback men who had never been a head coach and had been an assistant in a good women's program 23 years ago and since then had been a popular ESPN commentator for women's basketball, fans would think you were nuts.

Dr. Starcs

Why not ask Jeff Long all these concerns?

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 30, 2014, 05:15:38 pm
All I know is if you hired a women to coach the Razorback men who had never been a head coach and had been an assistant in a good women's program 23 years ago and since then had been a popular ESPN commentator for women's basketball, fans would think you were nuts.

I like your like of questioning about the hire, Mike, but this is a silly comparison, especially historically speaking. Men have been coaching women's sports forever, yet women coaching men is practically unheard of at any serious level. This particular comparison is way off.

But like I said - I think the basic questions you are asking about the hire are spot on. The gist of the responses seem to be that well-informed WBB fans who are NOT on ESPN are scratching their heads or downright mad about it. Male fans, though, are impressed and intrigued, and the ESPN talking heads certainly have sung Dykes' and Long's praises today. If your goal is to generate buzz, this hire certainly worked.

But ... should that be your goal? I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and see how his recruiting and on-court performance goes, but put me in the category of underwhelmed.

baumsquad

Dykes may end up working out, but doesn't  change fact it is a ridiculous hire! U don't hire anyone at division 1 level with basically zero experience as head coach at any level and his experience was 1 year in high school and he had losing record! This hire would have made people mad in Russellville if he was hired as Arkansas tech coach!!!!!!
JUST WIN BABY!!

Jamie Jones

I think it's a great hire. Jimmy knows basketball and he'll give instant credibility to the program as a  knowledgable guy. He is well respected amount his peers in the analyst field and he is a Razorback. If nothing else, at least they will look like they have some rhyme or reason to their offensive game!
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

baumsquad

Dykes may end up working out, but doesn't  change fact it is a ridiculous hire! U don't hire anyone at division 1 level with basically zero experience as head coach at any level and his experience was 1 year in high school and he had losing record! This hire would have made people mad in Russellville if he was hired as Arkansas tech coach!!!!!!
JUST WIN BABY!!

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: jhawg2009 on March 30, 2014, 06:04:45 pm
If nothing else, at least they will look like they have some rhyme or reason to their offensive game!

And THAT would definitely be a change! ;-)

Hawgon

I kind of doubt that he is going to be able to get quality assistants with experience in the women's game and I imagine there is going to be some serious negative recruiting going on against him.  Why?  Because coaches in the women's game and people who are devoted to the women's game will see his hire as sort of a slap in the face, not just to more qualified people who could have been hired, but to the women's game in general.

This was not a serious hire.  It indicates that Jeff Long does not care about women's basketball or is seriously lacking in judgment. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: TrueBlue on March 30, 2014, 04:59:31 pm

Except when Blair took them to the Final Four.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: baumsquad on March 30, 2014, 05:57:41 pm

John McDonnell says Hi........................................

snoblind

Granny fan

This may be the craziest thing the U of A has ever done!

Hawgon

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 30, 2014, 06:56:39 pm
John McDonnell says Hi………………………………….

Except that John McDonnell was coaching in high school as cross country coach when he was hired to coach cross country at Arkansas.  And after six years of being a college coach in cross country, he was given the position of head coach over the entire track program in 1978.

hoglady

Just because Dykes knows the game of basketball doesn't mean he'll be a good women's head coach.
Look at Sid's record as UALR's men's coach. Knowing the game doesn't translate into teaching or coaching the game.
Jeff Long just pretty much told all the supporters of women's basketball what he thought about the program - not too dang much.
Dykes might succeed, but the most likely scenario is he gets schooled by some great SEC women's coaches. By programs that care enough about their women's BB to hire a REAL coach.
This is like some bad publicity stunt.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hoglady

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 30, 2014, 05:15:38 pm
I think we are entering unknown territory. I'm not sure anything like this has ever been done before.
I don't know enough about women's college basketball to know if this is a goofy idea or a great one. All I know is if you hired a women to coach the Razorback men who had never been a head coach and had been an assistant in a good women's program 23 years ago and since then had been a popular ESPN commentator for women's basketball, fans would think you were nuts.

I don't think he's nuts - I think he doesn't give a darn about the women's program. The 2015 SEC women's tourney is at Verizon - I was hoping for once the Arkansas team would have a good showing.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

hoglady

Quote from: hoglady on March 30, 2014, 07:49:16 pm
I don't think he's nuts - I think he doesn't give a darn about the women's program. The 2015 SEC women's tourney is at Verizon - I was hoping for once the Arkansas team would have a good showing.

Could have and should have hired a proven coach.

ricepig

Quote from: hoglady on March 30, 2014, 07:43:47 pm
Just because Dykes knows the game of basketball doesn't mean he'll be a good women's head coach.
Look at Sid's record as UALR's men's coach. Knowing the game doesn't translate into teaching or coaching the game.
Jeff Long just pretty much told all the supporters of women's basketball what he thought about the program - not too dang much.
Dykes might succeed, but the most likely scenario is he gets schooled by some great SEC women's coaches. By programs that care enough about their women's BB to hire a REAL coach.
This is like some bad publicity stunt.

We've been schooled by SEC coaches for years, nothing new in that. A new approach won't hurt any worse.

Hawgon

Quote from: hoglady on March 30, 2014, 07:49:16 pm

As a woman who actually cares about women's basketball at UA, how does this hire make you feel?

hoglady

Quote from: ricepig on March 30, 2014, 07:52:23 pm
We've been schooled by SEC coaches for years, nothing new in that. A new approach won't hurt any worse.

The young women on our team deserve to have their AD take the program seriously. They deserve a coach committed to the women's college game.
This just looks like Dykes was tired of traveling, wanted to come back to Fayetteville, needed a job and Long said well I have an opening.
Guess, Dykes will just have to learn on the fly.
I wish someone would ask Dykes last time he watched a women's basketball game.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: hoglady on March 30, 2014, 08:01:57 pm
The young women on our team deserve to have their AD take the program seriously. They deserve a coach committed to the women's college game.
This just looks like Dykes was tired of traveling, wanted to come back to Fayetteville, needed a job and Long said well I have an opening.
Guess, Dykes will just have to learn on the fly.
I wish someone would ask Dykes last time he watched a women's basketball game.

He covered the womens basketball tournament this year:
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10698030/jimmy-dykes-hired-arkansas-razorbacks-women-basketball-coach

Dwight_K_Shrute

High risk high reward.  It's so crazy it's just might work.

The only reason Long could get away wiht the hire is because JD is an Arkansas Alum and well known and liked in NWA.

Hire the right assistants with JD as the face of the program and it just might work.  I'm thinking Christy Smith for one.

Not to be too cliche but sometimes you have to think outside the box.  Dykes is probably one of the few hires that could have boosted attendance right away. People that were not Lady Razorback fans, but fans of JD may now start following the program and going to games.  I think he will do well in recruiting especially in state where we have lost big time talent lately.  The guy has a ton of energy and is a young 52.

I'm going to try to stay positive about the hire but I can understand why anyone would question it.  Also interesting that the ad critical of Long appears in the ADG on the same day. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.